Mistresses Recap: Man Down!

Let us not speak of the church bake sale on this week’s Mistresses.

It’s not that we don’t care about snotty teenager Lucy and her immortal soul — Hey, now! I can hear you hissing “speak for yourself” from the comfort of your laptop — but April’s parenting struggles and the strain they’re putting on her relationship with long-suffering Marc are nothing more than the decorative kale taking up space in the haute-(mess) cuisine being whipped up by Joss, Karen and Kate.

Bone-crushing takedowns in Vegas (which will definitely not just stay in Vegas). Threats to destroy overstepping exes and everything they hold dear. One of the biggest cross-familial, borderline-incesty, what-in-the-acual-what-are-they-eating-in-the-writers’-room hookups in recent TV history. This is where we must focus our energies, Mistresses fans.

Lucy’s brownies may lead her mother’s live-in lover to temptation — NOT a euphemism, in case you’ve lost all sense of propriety — but this will be the last mention of them in our recap of Season 4, Episode 6. More decadent, heartburn-inducing delights await, so let’s discuss!

DOCTOR WITHOUT BOUNDARIES | Some of you guessed correctly in last week’s recap comments section: The unexpected visitor at Karen’s door wasn’t Legendary Boozehound/Insult-Dropper Elizabeth Grey, but rather Karen’s former thruple participant/baby daddy Alec. He hugs her like I embrace a bag of Funions after 12 hours on a paleo diet, but Karen’s memory is strong enough to overcome the hotness of Alec’s new haircut. She recalls her dumped her (and his unborn baby) over concerns about “what people might think” of her having his child less than nine months after Vivian’s death.

Their subsequent meal out — with baby Vivian strapped in the car seat (¡!), as per usual — finds Alec dropping to one knee… but only to pick up a napkin. (Um, dude, next time just ask for a new one like a proper germ-phobic M.D., OK?) It turns out, he’s married, and his pediatrician wife Faith is Karen’s second unwelcome surprise guest of the week. Within a half hour, Faith (code name: THIS BITCH) is giving unsolicited advice about how Karen can soothe her baby’s colic and regurgitating Alec’s lies that it was Karen who ended their affair.

Unfortunately for Karen, the gruesome twosome is just getting started. Alec is extra judge-y when Karen tells him she’s interviewing nannies — “I’d rather not have our child raised by a stranger,” he huffs, conveniently forgetting he bailed on his own flesh and blood throughout Karen’s pregnancy and for the first four months of the baby’s life. But after he learns Karen slept with previous manny Robert — and still smarting from the raw sexuality and confessional tone of her memoir — he serves her with papers going for full custody and only supervised visits for Karen. (Allow me to correct my earlier statement: It’s Alec whose code name is THIS BITCH.) Karen isn’t about to have her maternal instinct questioned by absentee dad/the dude who never could say no to a three-way. Declaring herself a “self-aware truth-teller,” Karen adds, “I’m going to destroy you in court. I hoped we could be civil, but you just messed with the wrong mother.” All in favor of this plot development, get some vodka… in your hand.

CHIPS AND ASSAULT-A | Jonathan gifts Harry and Joss with an all-expenses-paid and ridiculously extravagant weekend touring his Las Vegas restaurants and hotel. Joss is excited enough once she gets there to suggest they elope in the town of quickie weddings, but she’s haunted by the news that one of her new pals from Impact: East Side self-defense class was hospitalized after her boyfriend broke his restraining order.

A happier mood creeps in thanks to champagne and gold-leaf brunches and $5,000 in complementary gambling chips, but like a “9” card when you’re sitting on a “13,” things go south when Joss witnesses Jonathan’s nephew/underling Reza roughing up his girlfriend in the hallway. “I told you to mind your own business, bitch!” he seethes, pushing Joss away as the nameless girlfriend pleads not to be left alone. And suddenly, Joss’ combination of Wilson-induced PTSD/self-defense training kick in, and she lands three brutal punches and a swift kick before breaking Reza’s arm (or at least dislocating his shoulder). Joss returns to the casino floor and postpones the wedding — telling Harry that ultimately, she wants to be surrounded by family and friends. But she doesn’t acknowledge her own bloody knuckles or the beat-up relative of Harry’s boss she left upstairs. When she tells her Impact trainer Jackie that she lost control, the steely instructor is quick to correct her. “No, you took control,” she shoots back. But the fact is, a 911 call probably would’ve been a smarter play than a brutal assault that was probably caught on security cam. Is there any way Harry and Joss’ engagement will still stand after he finds out she kept this incident from him?

THE EX-FIANCE OF MY FUTURE SISTER-IN-LAW IS MY… | Oh how I wish my twisted paragraph header covered it all. But remember, when Kate first met Joss, Joss was only the sister of her previous future (and eventually full-fledged) sister-in-law Savi. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, please Hulu Seasons 1-3, and you’re welcome.)

Yep, I’ll pause for a sec as we all try to get our bearings.

So… Kate admits to Randy she had sex with Taco Guy — and when he points out dude is technically married (despite labeling himself as separated), she decides to call the whole thing off. Except then he sends her a box full of cheesy rom-com DVDs — Love Story and the all-time classic Splash among ’em, though there’s not a kinky high heel to be found — and before she knows it she’s caught between a rock-hard abdominal muscle and a hard place (aka a full-length mirror).

Whaddaya know, Kate’s lover is Scott (Justin Hartley), Joss’ former fiancé, the one she left at the altar in order to make out on the beach with her former brother-in-law Harry (aka Kate’s brother). Scott figures it out when he sees pics of Joss and Harry on the fridge in Kate’s crash pad, and before we can say “leave that t-shirt on the floor!” he’s fully clothed and headed for the exit, weak excuses trailing behind him.

Kate tracks him down at the hospital parking lot, and as much as their connection begs them to do otherwise, they both acknowledge the brutal truth. “I’ve made so many bad decisions — I can’t make another one,” says the guy whose rebound marriage is all but over. And Kate notes that their love affair would only “open old wounds” for Joss and Harry, and “be impossible” for herself and Scott. It’s a beautifully acted moment between Hartley and Tabrett Bethel, but hard as their tears are to witness, a split is the only correct decision.

But hey, if we don’t want to end on a somber note, here’s something: Karen is surprised to learn Randy is gay! (Don’t judge her, though: She may be a licensed psychiatrist, but she’s not one to stereotype!)

What did you think of this week’s Mistresses? Is there a future for Kate and Scott? Did Joss go too far with her takedown of Reza? Sound off below!

1. fernando933 says:

This is the first episode this season that actually felt like mistresses. There was the usual twist and turns. Alec back and married and trying to take full custody. Kate dating Scott, even joss and Harry story was good tonight. I hope they keep it up because this season have been very slow.

• Cat Castro says:

Now that’s what I call an amazing episode! By far, the best in a really long time! Alec still annoys the heck outta me!! #teamkaren! Reza obviously has everyone talking and for damn good reason. What an awesome asset to the show (and of course, very easy on the eyes). He fit in with the whole cast and their chemistry makes it seem as if he’s always been a part of the show- hopefully we will see much more of him. Keep it up Mistresses!!

2. Heather says:

Justin Hartley…. Enough said!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

3. Okay tonight’s episode of Mistresses didn’t put me to sleep early. :)
    Alex coming back into Karen’s life and wanting to ve a parent was predictable. Alex is such a hypocrite. I didn’t care for him in Season 3. I wanted Vivian to live, divorce him and she and Karen become a couple. I absolutely love sexy Justin Hartley and am over the moon he’s back! (I work during the day & can’t see him on Y&R). I don’t see the problem with him and Kate enjoying each other. Joss has moved on. Actually b4 she ended it with Scott. Now for April. I’m so tired of how she treats Marc. I wish they break up and he gets with someone who is fun and artistic like him. April is too judgey and just needs to concentrate on her bratty child. Anyway… How can April and Marc co-parent when April is always treating him like her teenaged son. Except when she does want him for her pleasure. Which doesn’t happen often. April is pretty but she is boring. Glad things are getting exciting and hopefully sexy Justin Hartman will stay on thru the end of this season. And then some. :)

4. Eric7740 says:

And now we have to wait a month???!!! What gives ABC???? Let’s compete against the Olympics!!! Great idea!!!! 🙄

5. Renata says:

Reza is the cutest he should be a regular on the show!!!

6. Bob says:

Great ep tonight.

I have to say I been loving Karen this season so far. She is less of a mess which makes me root for her more. I’m not here for people judging her for hiring a nanny to take care of her child. I hate how Alec think he knows better b.c he and his new wife is a doc. So smug for a guy who left his baby mama after he couldn’t deal with his wife’s death. I hope Karen wins the case.

Ugh April is annoying and so stubborn. Her plot in the ep was boring and I feel like Marc will slip on his sobriety again b.c of her. What happen to her and Micheal’s plot? I didnt like how it ended last week.

Oh Joss please seek help and not from your crazy fitness instructor. she is making ur PTSD worse. I’m surprise she hasnt tried some weed for her PTSD. I loled when she just ran after assaulting the nephew, I would think she would have called 911.

Kate is a hypocrite and for a sec there I thought when she was watching the movie after Scott told her the truth, she was going to kill herself :X
    i like how they did the reveal with Scott and how he found out that Kate was Joss’s sister in law.

7. Reza was the highlight of this show, by far! I hope he becomes a regular

8. Alyssa says:

I have loved the show Mistresses, for many years now, but this episode really titilated me. The Harry/Joss storyline is my favorite, I love how they went to Vegas. Dude, Reza?!! Who is this guy?!! What a jerk! Ugh I can’t wait to see what happens next week. I feel like he is going to be so horrible! At least he’s hot.

9. Betty cee says:

Reza was certainly an unexpected surprise!! Super hot and hospitable but then that twist!! Dying to know if he can be rehabilitated lol. Regardless, this is what drama and Intrigue is thanks mistresses for serving up some powerful drama. Bring him back.

10. Michelle B says:

Wow what a show it was last night! A lot of cliff hangers I can’t wait until August 8th to see what happens especially with the new character Reza!!!!! He is so cute I hope he stays on as a regular cast member he makes the show worth watching!!! Reza is my new heart throb ❤️

11. Lauren stein says:

Great show last night!!!
    Reza is so cute cant wait to see him on the next episode!!!

12. Laura b says:

Finally an episode that kept me enticed!!! Vegas… comps… reza getting his butt kicked ??? Cant believe i have to wait a month to see what happens to that guy… so cute tho worth the wait!!!

He will not get that baby!… cant believe the fight for custody will start now!!! After all this time he decides to come back smh!

13. Lauren Groeger says:

Wow, what a way to end the episode! I’m loving this new character Reza! He’s super hot and mysterious. At first he’s sweet and charming and then we got to see a real dark side of him. Can’t wait to see what happens!

14. Cat Castro says:

15. Leo says:

I didn’t notice Justin Hartley’s name in the opening credits, so when the sex scene with Kate ensued, I was like “Wow his body looked so much like Scott (yes I’ll recognize it anywhere) , how amazing if it turns out to be Scott and when they finally show his face, I squealed in delightness. BUT IS IT ONLY FOR ONE EP? C’mon show, you already ruin Scott and Joss’s love story, the least you can do is make this one work. I want Justin as a regular.

16. Micky Shiloah ……..Handsome AND talented!! Love to see new talent. I’m sure his future is looking bright. Great acting!!!!

17. k says:

April’s daughter needs a good old fashion whooping . Not that they would air that. I find myself speeding past all there scenes

18. Tennisnsun says:

Now this is what I’m talkin about! Great episode. Awful Alex returns for me to hate and Justin Hartley’s body returns for me to love. Mistresses at its best!

19. Allison says:

Finally! The show I love and remember is back! Karen told nothing but the truth when she told Alec that he has messed with the wrong mother! I like his nerve! He was always a jerk in a class by himself so his actions were not surprising. Scott was definitely a surprise, a pleasant one, but still a surprise. I was glad to see the promo that showed him still on the show. Kate is not about to give up on that hotness. If she didn’t care that the man was married, she definitely is not going to give a flying fig that he is Joss’s ex fiance. Kate should have heeded Randy’s advice, but nope. She is doing the opposite. She is following her hoo-ha and not her head. Randy gave her sound advice, but the hoo-ha wants what the hoo-ha wants. April needs to climb down from that soapbox because all she is going to end up accomplishing is losing her man and her daughter. She needs to loosen her grip or she really will be what her daughter called her – Mussolini in a maxi dress. I don’t get all the love for Reza. He’s OK, but nothing to write home about. I do find him awfully suspicious, however. I wonder if there was a setup or some sort of villainy afoot because while they were all gambling, I saw the girl whisper something to him and then they left and then when Joss got upstairs, she saw what looked like an attack and had a flashback and then she gave him the beat down. Something about that whole thing didn’t feel right. I don’t know, I will have to re-watch the episode to be sure, so I will have to put a pin in that for now. Anyway, it is great that the show has found its rhythm again, but it sucks that it will not resume until the freakin’ 8th of August!!! Well, no matter, I am still glad I stuck with it and didn’t give up on it. The show is still my boo!

• Hillary Denton says:

Allison are you kidding us?? Reza is the cutest hottest character from last nights episode! Maybe you need glasses he is defi Tely a hot upcoming actor I googled him not only is he an actor but he is a model and singer!! Google him and see for yourself !! Micky Shiloah you go Reza!!!

• Susan g says:

I agree with Hillary !! You go Reza ❤️❤️

• Allison says:

Hillary Denton, you like what you like and I like what I like. Variety makes the world go round. All that matters to me is that if all this buzz about him results in higher ratings for Mistresses, than alll hail Reza!

• Hillary Denton says:

Hey your right sorry to sound so uptight about your comment it’s just that he is so cute and adds a different style to the cast of characters ! I hope the show stays on for a long time it’s so finance exciting to watch

20. Kellie Mann says:

I love the show!!! Every character is interesting but I really loved Reza he looks like a young fresh talent and he is bad boy and so sexy too

21. Chris says:

Reza, as a new character made this show better. He needs to be made a regular character on the show. He adds something that this show needs, action, suspense, thriller.

22. Bill says:

Wow Reza is so cool, he let a woman beat him down and did kill her haha I love that guy

23. Tara says:

Ohhhh…great episode. Definitely a storyline to be had with the mysterious heartthrob Reza. Interest piqued! Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

24. Jackie says:

I really loved the new character Reza he has brought a new spunk to the show I hope to a lot more of him I wanna see what trouble he will stir up next

25. Tres says:

What an amazing episode mistresses I think that the new character Reza is an amazing edition to the show he is hot sexy and is dangerous my kind of guy and is bound to bring new excitement and suspense to the show hope his story line will continue GO Reza

26. Allison says:

Amazing! Reza really heated things up! It’s interesting to see the dynamics of characters when one such as Reza comes into play and it’d be cool to see more of him in this series!!!

27. Tiffany Ray says:

Pleas bring back Reza he was soooo amazing. I love this show. I so loved seeing his handsome face on my television.

28. Jackie mayers says:

We love Mistresses however who is Reza!!!! He’s very personable at least We think so!!! He speaks well, it was a shock when we found him to be violent. He played that part excellent we would love to see more of him!! My three daughters were fighting over him they loved him. More Reza, more Reza❣

29. Sonia says:

I never watched this show until this episode, I see a lot of comments asking that Reza become a regular. I thought he was? I hope that he is , because he kept me in suspense and I am in LOVE!!!!

30. Jeff says:

I LOVE RANDY!!! He is the best character on this show! Finally a normal cool gay guy that we men can fantasize about! MORE RANDY, RANDY, RANDY!!!!!!!!