Hamilton's Lin-Manuel Miranda Takes Final Bow to West Wing Theme

The West Wing theme song was playing in the room where it happened.

Hamilton creator and star Lin-Manuel Miranda took his final bow Saturday night at New York’s Richard Rodgers Theatre as the theme to Aaron Sorkin’s Emmy-winning drama played in the background. Miranda, a self-proclaimed West Wing acolyte, has previously said the series served as an inspiration for his Tony-winning mega-smash.

Saturday’s performance was also the swan song for Miranda’s co-stars Leslie Odom Jr. and Phillipa Soo. The celeb-packed audience reportedly included Jennifer Lopez, Aaron Paul, Charlie Rose, Jane Fonda, Rosie O’Donnell, Retta, Spike Lee and Secretary of State John Kerry.

The momentous curtain call was streamed live on Facebook. Watch it below.

1. So cool. And well deserved. Who knew that Alexander Hamilton would turn into a pop culture icon via Lin Manuel Miranda’s amazing vision?

2. Sam says:

Retta was there too!

3. sandra probert says:

The show deserved all of the applause….as everyone has said Lin Manuel Miranda gave the performance of his life with the wonderful help of the rest of the cast. The show is Worth seeing.

4. sandra probert says:

great show!!!!

5. annna says:

The West Wing theme is so beautiful. A fitting swan song for Lin. Hamilton rocks!!

6. Kevin In CT says:

Totally deserved!! What a beautiful and fitting tribute to the cast and crew, of both shows!!

7. Lauren says:

Seeing it in September, I can’t wait! Heartbroken I don’t get to see the OBC. I haven’t watched the West Wing, it’s on my list.

8. Delirious says:

As a non-US geek… I really, really wish this performance (or actually, any of the performances up to this) was captured for DVD/BR/VOD/etc release. I’ve been wanting to see this since it came out :/

9. sarah says:

My dream is to go to NYC and watch this show! It is too bad that if I make it I wont be seeing Lin or Leslie!

• Anna says:

I have no idea about Leslie’s replacement (he’s hard to replace – the man is a freaking shining star), but I saw Javier Munoz (Lin’s replacement) in “In the Heights” years ago, and he was phenomenal. I know it’s not the same as seeing Lin, but everyone says Javier does the part justice (he did all of the Saturday matinees of this show so far). He was actually the one playing Hamilton when Obama saw the show.