Gretchen Carlson Fox News

Gretchen Carlson Out at Fox News, Files Harassment Suit vs. CEO Roger Ailes

Fox News staple Gretchen Carlson on Wednesday confirmed that she is no longer employed by the organization, and has filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against chairman and CEO Roger Ailes.

Per her eight-page suit, Carlson says she was fired on June 23, 2016, after refusing Ailes’ sexual advances. She claims that, upon requesting a meeting to discuss Ailes’ discriminatory practices, he told her in Sept. 2015, “I think you and I should have had a sexual relationship a long time ago and then you’d be good and better and I’d be good and better.”

You can read an excerpt of her claims below:

Carlson — who began her time at Fox News as a Fox & Friends co-host in 2005, before launching The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson in 2013 — made the following announcement Wednesday morning on Twitter:

Shortly after news of the lawsuit broke, Carlson also released the following statement:

“I have strived to empower women and girls throughout my entire career. Although this was a difficult step to take, I had to stand up for myself and speak out for all women and the next generation of women in the workplace. I am extremely proud of my accomplishments at Fox News and for keeping our loyal viewers engaged and informed on events and news topics of the day.”

What are your thoughts on Carlson’s abrupt exit and claims? Drop them in a comment below.

1. Rob says:

This is vile and I hope Gretchen gets the justice she’s looking for and most importantly whatever possible closure and peace she can after enduring this.

2. Tom says:

First I’m siding with Megyn Kelly now Gretchen Carlson……what is wrong with this world?

3. J.Norman says:

??? I don’t know.

Sounds like it will be a tough one to prove. Could be He said, She said.

A lot of people will want to believe her, but wanting to believe and hard proof are 2 different things.
    May depend upon whether she filed any type of complaint last September.. Otherwise, it could appear to be sour grapes whether true or not.
    No one is guaranteed a job (outside of tenured college professors)

• Websnap says:

Yeah, because the head of the company is not going to misplace any kind of complaint that came up dealing with him. At the very least he would have been made aware it exists – that’s how it works when someone files a complaint against someone, they have the right to know.

What it will come down to is if anyone else comes forward making similar claims, a la Bill Cosby. It seems pretty clear she doesn’t want her job back – why in the world would she. I don’t think a “guaranteed job” has anything to do with the issue in the least. Many women still put up with all sorts of similar crap at jobs like this. Her talking now isn’t about sour grapes at all, but rather the common practice of women balancing harassment in the work place and maintaining a job they’ve eared in a field of their choice. She has to opportunity to shine a light on it now that she doesn’t need to grin and bare it to keep her job.

4. John says:

This could get ugly. I like Gretchen but she has a history of bad judgement with workplace personal relationships that will undoubtedly get dragged up in any discovery and trial (should it get that far). The key will be, does anyone else from Fox come forward with any similar claims.

5. Joey says:

“[Striving] to empower women and girls throughout [your] career” and taking a job at Fox News are mutually exclusive.

6. april-ann says:

He sounds like such a pig. Something that may not help her though is that after what he (allegedly) told her in Sept. 2015, she STAYED (??).

• Kyra says:

Because she could have felt/been told she’d be blacklisted anywhere else? Because she felt she wouldn’t be believed? Because she had nowhere to go? Happens all the time.

• april-ann says:

Well, she has left now, but only because she was fired, and yet all the things you say still apply. If you are being sexually harassed, better to leave before you are fired. Document it while seeking employment elsewhere, leave and file sexual harassment charges.

7. glad she is gone because i just didn’t like her
    but aside from that if this is true then string him up by his you know what

8. Belle says:

WHAT??? I can’t believe this at all :( So saddened for Gretchen and what she’s been through!!! I wish you all the best Gretchen, may you find happiness and comfort elsewhere in your professional career…we are all behind you <3 Love and Prayers!!!

• Paul Benvin says:

People like you make me gag. Unless you know someone on a personal level then don’t use their first name like you’ve been aquainted for years. And stop swallowing everything you read like it’s etched in stone. Who knows what really happened. So far it’s a typical he said, she said situation. For all you know she could be a conniving, vindictive bitch simply trying to drag someone’s name through. If you have ever watched her interact with people when a topic isn’t going her way then you would know that she definitely comes off like that. For proof just Google “Gretchen Carlson walks off Fox & Friends.”

9. HAP says:

I’m of the opinion that regardless of whether her allegations are true or not, I think the lawsuit more the result of the fact that she was not able to get a job elsewhere. She had previously made similar allegations to management against Steve Dooshy(Misspelling by choice).

10. Sue says:

I totally believe Gretchen. She has always made her beliefs known and taking a hard stand is right in step with them. Megyn Kelly however is doing quite well at Fox…

11. Carl Maione says:

I am sorry hear that you were fired by Fox News. You will be greatly missed.
    I hope other News programs hire you.

12. James Peak says:

Why would you be fired for him making sexual advances?

13. Lala says:

….So nine months later, she speaks out..after being fired! Smells like sour grapes.

• Susan says:

I only want to say that in our country all are innocent until proven guilty. While I like and respect Gretchen and hate that this could be true I also have seen men’s reputation ruined by allegations. I am a female and want all to be treated with respect. I am only saying let’s not judge until we know all

14. bridyyc says:

What?? Fox news, who doesn’t treat gays, blacks, latinos, or anything other than conservative white men with any respect, who disregard women’s abortion and planned parenthood rights, now doesn’t treat female employees well? Shocking. Who woulda seen that coming?

• it is so funny listening 2 far left wing people try 2 belittle Fox because they are so jealous of Fox’s number one standing in cable new. Foxes lineup has the fourth lot headed up by women comma they only have 4 shows in their entire lineup strictly by men. They have 2 shows run strictly by women and they have one show headed up by a black woman that features four women and one guy. They have more hispanics, women, and blacks in reporter pool then white men. You must be taking your talking points from somebody like Media Matters or MSNBC because you have never watched the network for you would not have made such an ignorant post.

15. tahimar says:

I guess O’Reilly, Hannity and the likes will blame it on Obama.

16. Barbara says:

I have always wondered why the female fox ladies show so much leg.
    It seems so unprofessional.
    On the outnumbered show, I can’t believe
    how high their dresses are.
    So having sexually harnessed many times
    and fired once for the same reason Carlson was, it’s a hard thing too prove.
    Maybe others will come forward.

17. Tina says:

What happened to the “innocent until proven guilty” rule of law? There are 2 sides to every story and then there is the truth. I choose to wait before passing judgment.

18. jboll5 says:

I commented weeks ago about how she has one foot out the door and would be fired…..simply because she doesn’t play well with others.. and I don’t mean sexually. She’s an odd duck who just can’t get along. She’s too rigid and has absolutely no sense of humor. She did’t get along well at Fox and Friends show either. Not surprised. She just doesn’t have the “it” factor to carry a show or fit in with others. She needs to lose the angry/victim attitude and just get on with her life. She’s extremely uptight. Good luck to her though

19. Bob Gleason says:

In mt day of Broadcasting, women had little or no chance in live broadcasting despite their talent, The complaint was always their voices would peak the VU meters or some other weak excuse to keep them off the air. Today in this area women have an equal opportunity; however, they know face greater walls to climb. My hat is off to this lady and let the due process take place; Who can says, maybe a landmark will be made to help tear down the wall.

20. LB says:

Great👍 now maybe we concentrate on news without being distracted by her sexually skanky leg showing positions…Not professional!

21. Virginia VeDepo says:

Personally, I miss seeing her on Fox News. Don’t know how the lawsuit will pan out, but my gut tells me this happens more times than we would like to admit in the corporate world. I just wish she was back on The Real Story…