The Warriors Hulu Series

The Warriors 1979 Gang Film Eyed as Hulu Series From Russo Brothers

Just how many episodes can it take to get from Van Cortlandt Park to Coney Island…?

Anthony and Joe Russo, who recently shepherded the box office blockbusters Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War, aim to find out, teaming with Hulu and Paramount TV for a small-screen adaptation of The Warriors, the cult classic 1979 film about New York City gangs.

Per our sister site Deadline, the Russo Brothers will re-imagine the 37-year-old film (which itself was an adaptation of Sol Yurick’s 1965 novel of the same name), while adding their “own unique brand of grit, pulp, sex and violence.”

Frank Baldwin will pen the adaptation, while no director has yet been set to succeed the mighty Walter Hill. Lawrence Gordon, a producer on the original film, will be among the executive producers.

Are you curious to see the Warriors come out and play on Hulu? Or, said differently: “Can you dig it?”

1. Keith says:

I liked the original film, not sure I would be interested if it’s a modern day film about gang violence. There’s been plenty of those movies already.

• Kriston Troy Brannan says:

Gang violence is really just the surface of the story. The book and movie are both based on an ancient story about a group of mercenary soldiers being trapped deep within enemy territory and their struggle to make it out alive. I’m sure the new series will touch on gangs and gang related violence, but I have high hopes that the Russo brothers will put focus on the more universal aspects of the story. After their two CA movies, I hope they also put some emphasis on the political side of the conflict, since they’ve shown themselves to be fairly adapt at that kind of storytelling.

2. The Kaibosh says:

Warriors….come out to Play-ay

3. Daya says:

I didn’t like the movie, but I’m a huge James Remar fan, so I’m conflicted as to whether or not I should be excited.

4. O'yaya says:

An gang tv show by the Russo brothers huh?…. I guess we’re about to see the first all white cast of an urban gang tv show.

• Jason says:

The original movie was a whitewash itself. The gang was always meant to be black and Latino but the studio had them add a lot more white characters and make them the leaders.

5. christopher bee says:

Yay, time to dust of the Soundtrack Record and listen to “Echoes in my mind”.