Comic-Con
Star Trek Comic Con

Star Trek EP Bryan Fuller to Helm Star-Studded 50th Anniversary Comic-Con Panel

Though CBS’ Star Trek: Celebrating 50 Years panel at San Diego Comic-Con is, of course, designed to mark the franchise’s golden anniversary, Trekkers can expect the discussion to turn to the future as well as the past: Bryan Fuller, executive producer of CBS All Access’ eagerly anticipated new Trek series, will be moderating.

On the panel for the Q&A (taking place from 2-3 in Hall H on July 23) are The Original Series’ William Shatner, Enterprise’s Scott Bakula, The Next Generation’s Michael Dorn and Brent Spiner, and Voyager’s Jeri Ryan.

Thus far, the Hannibal alum hasn’t said much more than that his Trek will not be subject to the strictures of network television (but that he was disinclined to have characters swear) and that, in keeping with the progressiveness of the original series, he was casting without regard to race or gender.

Will you be attending? What spoilers from the panel would you be happiest to get? Hit the comments.

1. Steven says:

There may finally be an openly gay character in the Star Trek Universe! It’s about time. I live in New York so I’ll have to wait until the panel is posted on YouTube.

2. Tom says:

Let’s see who’s missing……..oh yes, anyone from those extremely well produced, some how officially licensed, “fan” films done by JJ Abrams and his buddies. If that doesn’t lend credence to the believe that the show will be in the primeverse I don’t know what does

• Shaun says:

or only TV people were invited.Pretty sure it’s confirmed either way.

• Gail says:

Once Viacom was split into two companies, Viacom and CBS, what was Paramount TV went to CBS while Paramount Pictures went to Viacom. So Star Trek television shows are done by a different company than the Star Trek films. This panel seems to be from CBS. Too bad they are not including the rest of the original crew who are still with us.

3. Simon Jester says:

As usual, no love for the superlative Deep Space Nine. >:-/

4. I only have one wish for Star Trek, and that’s for William Shatner to get his wish to play Captain Kirk, post Generations, one more time. I really would love to see a little arc where we learn that his character’s fate at the end of Generations wasn’t exactly what we saw, and the character has hope and a happier final appearance. Let Kirk ride off into the sunset.

I know it’s wishful thinking, but it would be a true gift for the fans who felt bitter about that movie–especially in the 50th anniversary. Otherwise, I haven’t seen anything about this anniversary that makes me think Paramount is truly celebrating the event. I’m sorry, but panels, documentaries and interviews really aren’t that big of a deal. I want a story. Look what Doctor Who did.

5. christopher bee says:

I would be attending, but i´m from Germany and my Band is getting hot on rehearsals for our Tour next Year in South America,

But as a Trekkie, I would ask Scott Bakula, what realy went wrong with Season 4, as i realy loved it and the ark with the child was wonderfull and heartbraking and was real.
    The Terra Prime Arc was the icing on the cake with Peter Weller´s character:

I´ve bought Seasons three “the Xindi” ark and there was not one Episode that was disapointing.
    So Let the Star Trek Games begin.