AHS Season 6 Premises

American Horror Story Season 6: Six Nightmarish Potential Premises

Although Season 6 of American Horror Story won’t even premiere until fall, it’s already keeping us up nights.

Specifically, we’re losing sleep over the FX anthology series’ next premise. (Wondering what it will be is killing us as surely as would checking into the Hotel Cortez!) So far, executive producer Ryan Murphy has said only that the two ideas he was considering for the show’s sixth go-round both involved “elements of children.

“If you look at horror tropes,” he added, “the innocence of children, that sort of wide-eyed entryway into some world, is always very dramatic and satisfying.”

Other than that, all we know is that former cast members Lady Gaga, Cheyenne Jackson and Angela Bassett will be returning. And, per FX boss John Landgraf, the season will be “set in the present” but with “echoes of the past.” (AHS does love a good flashback, after all!)

Bearing all that in mind, we’ve come up with six potential scenarios for the upcoming season that, if we ever manage to sleep again, are sure to give us nightmares! Scroll through the gallery below to review our ideas, then hit the comments with your favorite one — or your own better premise.

1. Either a reprise of Village of the Damned or The Bad Seed might work as well.

2. Leo says:

Dollhouse sounds great. Slaughterhouse Barbie would be awesome. Also, twist when we find out they made dolls from real babies and real kids.#whatiswrongwithme

3. abz says:

Dollhouse and Daycare sound interesting. I’ve actually been wanting to know for a while now because usually at this point we know a lot about the season and like 10-15 actors who have been cast. But I’m also kind of glad they’ve a little tight-lipped about it. It’s allowing for a little more excitement, I just hope Wes Bentley isn’t in this season or has a reduced role.

4. Sam says:

I think they’ll be going to The Thatcher’s School where Liz suggested sending Scarlett and Lachlan.

5. Spence says:

An orphanage plot would be so cool and could have tons of potential. It could bring the show back to its dramatic and less-campy roots with the human drama of children struggling with the death of parents, all while supernatural elements happen around them. Perhaps the main child would be placed in the orphanage after they witness their parents being killed by a supernatural force, and of course, none of the adults at the orphanage believe them? Tons of potential there.

6. amy says:

I’d dig it if the focus remained on the adults, you know, trying to deal with the creepy, crazy antics, convincing themselves they’re nuts for thinking it’s a child or whatever, last year the kid stuff was so dreary and boring. I prefer adult acting and adult storylines on a show like AHHS.

7. John036 says:

I like the Orphanage idea and the Summer Camp idea. The summer camp could be cool, because it could have the adult cast and a children in it as flashback. Like the adult characters go back to the summer camp where they spent their childhood summers and stuff.
    I’m still hoping for the theme to be about a cult though

8. American Horror Story: Black-eyed Children.

• Oscar the Oddity says:

This was my thought as well. These stories actually give me the chills and I’d love to see what the writers could come up with.

9. Nancy Moran says:

Daycare……make the whole thing even scarier than it really is !!!

10. Sharon Rueckert says:

The orphanage would be a great horror story. Throw in the rich crazy kid from ahs freak show who was tossed around from family to family which caused him to become crazy

• John036 says:

Was Dandy actually adopted though? I never finished the Freak Show or cared for it so maybe I forgot

11. Debbie says:

Anything you can come up with has got to be better than what they will come up with, based on past seasons. We all know that if they had two ideas to rub together, they’d be shouting it to the heavens by now. That they’ve only announced three cast members and little else, doesn’t bode well.

12. steven says:

I hope the thing with children turns out better than the Vampire children storyline.

13. clintbrew says:

kids that kill adults would be fun i watched a british film called the children (2008) it about kids who become ill due to a virus and the kids start killing the parents it pretty good if you could stomach it they could do that

14. John says:

I think the Dollhouse would be a great storyline. I agree with some of the other comments from others on only having adults in the story and of course have kids in the flashbacks.

The Murder house, Asylum, Coven were the best seasons that kept you on the edge of the your seat but Freak Show, Motel didn’t have that same feeling. Story line was all over the place. Hope that this season coming this fall would be a great! I can’t wait till this October.

15. I Love the Daycare ideal how many parents worry about making the right choice when they leave their children.

16. Whimsical says:

Thought it was established the theme was a website investigating creepypastas, so its going to be something like AHS:Newsroom, or AHS: Blog

17. I hope that our annual “clues” was the appearance of Queenie continuing a past storyline. The question mark in the teaser could be hinting that we will get answers to unanswered questions about the future: the demon child from Murder House, the aliens from Asylum with some Pepper for good measure and a Freak Show tie-in, all somehow mixed together with the Coven taking revenge on the Hotel. Season 6 could serve as just a proper “Season 2” for every season that has come so far.

18. trickster88 says:

Dollhouse, Summer Camp and Orphanage sound good.

19. Kathleen S. says:

When I saw the number 6, beside it being the 6th season, what came to mind was maybe a 666/antichrist storyline? Only thing is A&E tried to do that last season.

20. Jane says:

All of these sound like they could have potential. Personally I’d just be happy if it had some sort of coherent story-line that lasted the whole season.

21. Elizabeth Ingalsbe says:

Dollhouse sounds like iy has potential. Summer camp would ne something most adults could relate to on several levels….I look forward to what happens in the next chapter of ahs…

22. Luis says:

Hell no! Broadway just seems like a commercial attempt to fill in the void left by Glee and Smash. Orphanage, Day Care and Grade School all seem like the same premise. Creepy Kids, with Creepy Guardians. Perhaps Orphanage is the one that actually stands out.

I would go something more like:
    AHS: Mortuary
    AHS: Hospital
    AHS: College Campus
    AHS: Ghost Town
    AHS: Alcatraz

• Ashley H says:

These all sound great, but probably not alcatraz…. seems like it would be a little limiting & similar to asylum.

23. Ashley H says:

Rugrats gone evil… that would be epic

24. Darlene says:

American Horror Story Orphange or Grade School.

25. harry the cat says:

The scariest this about last year’s AHS was Lady Gaga’s acting

26. Kyle says:

Each season has progressively gotten worse. Ripping off old ideas (poorly) is starting to take a toll on this series. AHS started very strong with season 1 and set the bar at a level that they just can’t reach. I have very little interest in the upcoming season and I’m sure I’ll be giving up on it after 5 episodes as I did the last couple seasons.

27. Nikki says:

Orphanage or Summer Camp sounds very interesting!! Bring back Jessica Lange and Taissa Farmiga!

28. Anthony Wadley says:

A Children of the Corn type story would be Fantastic! Those films really give me the heebie jeebies!

29. Tori Kraven says:

West Memphis Three! Involves innocent children, satanism, a gaping question that has relevance in the present, etc… Think it would be an awesome storyline! But, is just my humble theory! Can’t wait till September!

30. jless says:

How sad that this train wreck of a show gets on with it’s 6th season! While the remarkable “Penny Dreadful”, with literate writing, excinting performances, gorgeous production gets cancelled on it’s 3rd season! It just boggles the mind, how AHS with mediocre script, mostly terrible performances gets to be so popular!
    We deserve trash TV.

31. What about that elite boarding school that Lachlan Drake and Scarlett Lowe were sent to at the end of season 5? Boarding schools are creepy enough to begin with…

32. Penny Stanley says:

A BIG NO for Broadway, Summer Camp, Day Care and Grade School. These have to be jokes, right? Yes to orphanage and a huge YES to doll house. Everybodys creeped out by dolls and AHS would take it to a new level

33. Amy says:

I got the chills all over when someone said the new season might involve Slender Man. I think anything to do with that thing is creepy as hell. The person who created it has a great imagination. Creepy… but great! So I hope the Slender Man thing has some truth to it.

34. Jazmine says:

I really don’t think its any of those. How about back in the past there was a cult that sacrificed children. Now in the present the ghost of the children killed and the people in the cult haunt the house. Or only one cult member lived for eternity only because it eats children instead of just sacrificing them. But the children obviously still haunt the house.