UnREAL, or Unlikeable? Did Night Shift Get Too Hot? Dead of Summer's Most Bogus Era Error? And More TV Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Game of Thrones, The Last Ship, The Mindy Project and Zoo!

1 | Spoiler alert for Orange Is the New Black Episode 12: Shouldn’t someone have tried administering CPR to [Spoiler]?

2 | Why is everyone GIRL MEETS WORLDon Girl Meets World suddenly acting as though Riley rubbing off on Maya is a bad thing? And given that GMW is geared towards a younger audience than most of Boy Meets World’s run was, aren’t jokes about how little Katie is a part of Maya’s life a bit too dark?

3 | We know they’re in the middle of a war, but can’t Outlander‘s Jamie and Claire have a little more sex each episode?

4 | Is Game of Thrones‘ Varys — who was at Highgarden one moment and on the ship leaving Meereen with Daenerys seemingly the next — able to teleport? Are you surprised the series confirmed Jon Snow’s parentage with two seasons left to go? And did anyone else pick up on some romantic vibes from Tyrion in his scene with Dany? Also, now that the show has seemingly freed them up, can Michiel Huisman and Natalie Dormer return to Orphan Black and Elementary, respectively?

5 | Are you beginning to worry that Veep is never gonna tell us what happened on that fateful Labor Day?

6 | Has one of The Last Ship‘s quieter pleasures this season been watching Jeter et al use their nautical know-how to guesstimate where and how far away they had been taken in the boat, and wherePyramid they now are being held prisoner?

7 | How did he not say “bee”?!?!?

8 | Has Jozea ever seen an episode of Big Brother? Doesn’t he understand that there is no such thing as a “Messiah” in the BB house — especially in Week 1?

9 | How big a face-palm must Jamie Foxx have given himself after realizing he’d sung Prince’s “Erotic City” to his daughter at the BET Awards?

10 | JoJo broke the Bachelorette rules by handing out an extra rose — is nothing sacred anymore? What’s next, not letting Neil Lane pick out your engagement ring? Not breaking up approximately six weeks after the show wraps? And we collectively fever-dreamed a live rendition of “Don’t Cry for Me Argentina” as the soundtrack to Derek’s tearful rejection in UnREAL Hot RachelBuenos Aires, right? Right?

11 | UnREAL‘s Hot Rachel is totally an undercover reporter, right? And are we starting to get the sinking feeling that the show’s unfortunate takeaway from Season 1 was that viewers want despicable, versus entertainingly ruthless, characters? (Like, Quinn’s SIDS joke was darrrrk.)

12 | How did The Fosters‘ Mariana dig up all that personal information about Justina?

13 | Are you enjoying how morally ambiguous Guilt is playing it with Grace? Do you think she killed her roomie?

14 | Are Rizzoli & Isles‘ Maura and Hope among TV’s best casting of relatives?

15 | Did those of you in the Major Crimes/24 Venn diagram overlap do a double take when Annie Wersching’s character was introduced as a CTU agent? And what was more entertaining, watching Dr. Morales put the feds in their place, or Raydor tricking them into cleaning up the ATM video?DEAD OF SUMMER

16 | What was the 1989-set Dead of Summer‘s worst anachronism: Joel’s way-too-compact camcorder, his flat-brimmed baseball cap (a style of the past decade at most), or how one counselor raved about a party being “sick” (versus “ace” or “bomb”)?

17 | Did any other Pretty Little Liars viewers find it alarming that Hanna’s mother and fiancé didn’t know she was kidnapped?

18 | With that breakroom chat and Danny’s engagement (?!), is The Mindy Project trying to stomp all over the last little shred of love we had for Dr. C? And doesn’t Mindy and Jody’s new romance — which already includes multiple lies, an STD and angry exes — sound more like a Lifetime movie than a serious relationship?

19 | As liberal as the Casual household is, shouldn’t Alex have been a little concerned to see Laura rummaging through his medicine cabinet for pills?

Zoo20 | On Zoo, would a Tony the Tiger-like cartoon actually have been an upgrade here? And why is Jackson keeping the effects of his bite a secret? Isn’t being immune to animal attacks a good thing??

21 | How awesome was it that, in this age of spoilers, The Bold and the Beautiful managed to keep Eric and Quinn’s affair a secret until the big reveal?

22 | We “get” that it’s a go-to plot point, but should shows such as The Night Shift think long and hard before staging a “heat wave” where all the pretty actors are covered in fake, glycerin-looking sweat? (Very much on the flip side, can we talk about how phenomenal Annalynne McCord is looking, as TC’s motorcycle-riding squeeze?)

23 | The little kid on American Gothic knows everything about autopsies and is obsessed with all sorts of weird stuff, yet draws a blank on cremation?

24 | Why do competitive divers — such as in this week’s U.S. Olympics trials — use such small towels to dry off after each dive?

25 | What is it about nursingBeauty and the Beast his gunshot wound that makes Beauty and the Beast‘s Vincent suddenly talk like he’s a thug in a Scorsese film?

26 | Did the Greatest Hits premiere really need a performance by Pitbull, even if it was a duet with REO Speedwagon? And could the director have been any more conspicuous in focusing on the nubile audience versus the aging singers on stage?

27 | Couldn’t The Daily Show have given Jessica Williams a minute or two to speak during her farewell episode? Are we really supposed to believe she had nothing she wanted to say? And could her highlight reel have been any shorter?

Hit the comments with your answers — and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Kevin K says:

#4 – would be great if Natalie Dormer returns to Elementary (CBS). RIP Margaery Tyrell :-(

2. LADY_in_MD says:

I don’t understand the point of hot Rachel why would she sleep with him if she was picked by Darius to stay it’s like she is sabotaging herself and I don’t get why?? Although the undercover reporter thing is a good guess

If I didn’t know better I would totally think that Sharon Lawrence and Shasha Alexander are in fact mother and daughter in real life

3. Steven says:

1. That is what i don’t understand (SPOILERS) They didn’t even check for a pulse. I just kept yelling for someone to help!

4. Bwhit says:

22) Yes and TC automatically down to his tank top was quite quick from when the AC went out to when we saw him again, I’m pretty sure it was the next scene. She looks amazing!

24) My daughter also asked that and was quite annoyed I didn’t have an answer for her.

5. Bella says:

#4 I’d rather not see Natalie Dormer again on Elementary, unless it’s a short period and ends with Sherlock being completely over her.

6. Mike B says:

4. There are dornish ships in the fleet, so the theory is he was picked up on the road

7. skrable2 says:

15. The Dr. Morales putdown was terrific. He’s an underrated actor; been so since he played the Borg named Hugh in ST:TNG. My Major Crimes question, in general, is how many more times does Fritz have to show up before someone asks him about his wife?

8. Sheryl says:

14)It’s Maura not Laura. Oops.

9. rowan77 says:

3. Totally agree. In Season One they ere so randy for each other. Now that he’s been able to “get past” (sexually) what Black Jack did, I thought there would be more between the sheets – at least that we are privy to. Sadly, no.

4. Yes, the Varys travel time was very quick. It makes me wonder what scenes they cut out to make the episode move faster. And no, I did not see love for a woman as much as love for his queen. After all this is the very first time Tyrion’s ever had a monarch he respected and loved. The others (The Mad King, Robert and Joffrey) were all vicious bastards.

11. Like many sophomore seasons of shows UnREAL has fallen into the trap of giving MORE of the wrong things. Ruthless instead of despicable was a very apt way to put it.

15. I just thought Annie Wesching’s character was very one note. Always disdainful, dismissive and arrogant -and that’s just boring. But I LOVED Dr. Morales pulling rank. That was awesome, as was Raydor trick to help Buzz. I also thought Sharon was a bit tone-deaf when trying to get Rusty to accept his other mother’s pregnancy. It should not be on the child to be the reason a mother stays clean and sober. When that mother fails (which his other mother does regularly), that child will very possibly be subject to the same abuse, neglect and danger as Rusty. And it’s not fair for Rusty (as her other child) to have to be the support system that keeps her clean and sober either. His other mother needs a large support system to help her, and she doesn’t have that.

18. I kinda of stopped loving Danny in the third season. He was always controlling and disapproving, then he became duplicitous and not in a fun way. I have big love for Chris Messina (even when he plays a jerk), but Dr. C can leave the show and I’d be very happy.

10. Sarah says:

You nailed it with #11 – ruthless vs. despicable. I couldn’t figure out how to describe it, but you’ve laid it out perfectly. It’s certainly not as fun.

• Daisy F. says:

I couldn’t agree more. I feel like I need to take a shower after watching these episodes. I’m not sure if I will stick with it because it’s way less fun. Part of what I liked about season 1 was Rachel warring with herself–wanting to be a good person while also succeeding in her job, which prevented her from being that good person (because she was so good at being bad/ruthless). That SIDS line was dark indeed and it seems like there’s no moral compass on this show, which I feel you kind of need when you’re playing something this dark. The show is way less fun than last year and there’s nobody to root for–even in their ruthlessness. They are despicable and it’s not much fun to watch despicable people be despicable to each other for an hour each week. These people are horrendous. *sigh*

• Jessica says:

I agree! Perfect description!

11. TheDuke says:

27. TDS since Stewart left has been an embarrassment. Noah is not funny

12. texmike says:

# 22 Annalynne McCord is still super hot.

13. Zaphkyel says:

4. Tyrion looked like he wants the white dragonesque “bad pousseh”, to quote a Dornish female bastard. The romantic vibe came from his words paired with that lingering look he gave Dany “he was not the first to love you and not the last either”.

14. Tom says:

5 | Are you beginning to worry that Veep is never gonna tell us what happened on that fateful Labor Day?
    ~
    Somethings are just better left unsaid. I mean, that’s my guess. I’d love to know too but, well, you know
    ~
    16 | What was the 1989-set Dead of Summer‘s worst anachronism: Joel’s way-too-compact camcorder, his flat-brimmed baseball cap (a style of the past decade at most), or how one counselor raved about a party being “sick” (versus “ace” or “bomb”)?
    ~
    When did VHS-C come out? Because I remember my brother having one circa 1992 or so.
    ~
    ~
    Easier to wash/dry? No clue
    ~
    26 | Did the Greatest Hits premiere really need a performance by Pitbull, even if it was a duet with REO Speedwagon? And could the director have been any more conspicuous in focusing on the nubile audience versus the aging singers on stage?
    ~
    Isn’t Pitbull a big name now or something? I don’t know, I don’t listen to modern music that isn’t AltCountry.
    ~
    ~
    There’s only so much that can be crammed into 22 minutes

15. angelasl813 says:

Nailed it on #2 especially when Riley implied that Maya making good grades and not jumping on desks was somehow bad.
    Also if the speculation about who gets married is true, why would Shawn marry someone who only sees their child once a month and who has to be told by Cory and Topanga on how to parent?

• flutiefan says:

Agree on both points. Why can’t Maya mature? She’s still Maya.
      And this season has been such a downer overall. I don’t get it.

16. Amy says:

#11 – Yes! So much yes.I got a couple of episodes into season 2 before thinking ‘I really don’t like any of these characters anymore’

17. Shira Simon says:

As a teacher, Riley rubbing off on Maya isn’t bad, but it seems to have gone too far, too fast. I was also bothered by the jokes about Katie’s absence, and the absence. I thought we would see more of her when Topenga gave her a job at the cafe.

18. Meg says:

2. I think GMW is trying to cater to two audiences: the young current Disney Channel viewers, and the twenty/thirtysomethings who watch out of nostalgia for BMW. Plus, I think it was meant more as a meta-joke about how Katy just magically pops in and out as the plot demands.

19. JPinks says:

#3… or any for that matter? What a snooze this season.

20. Merideth says:

#1 My husband and I said the exact same thing. Why isn’t anyone even checking for a pulse or trying to help her?!?!?
    #11 You hit the nail on the head. I am definitely not loving this season as much as the first. The characters are crossing the line from fun and complex to unlikeable.

21. Chuck D says:

The Dead of Summer camcorder bugged me for a minute, then I realized it must be a VHS Mini camera. At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

22. LynnS says:

#11 – Completely agree. I thoroughly enjoyed Quinn’s and Rachel’s relatively ruthless natures last season, but I found Quinn’s SIDS comment (I refuse to call it a joke.) completely despicable. For me, I’m not sure they can do anything to redeem her character at this point, even by trying to build sympathy about her father dying. As someone else commented, none of the characters are even remotely likable anymore.

23. Arna Perry says:

Jon Snow’s parentage was revealed in the first book of the series about 1/3 of the way through the book. Why shouldn’t the series reveal it by now???

24. Jess says:

Varys was in Dorne not Highgarden.

25. A fan of TV says:

CPR is useless if your airway has been crushed, I believe was the point they were making with the whole fingers on her throat thing. I wish it had been anybody else, honestly, but they telegraphed that she would die all season long with the talk of happy ever after and plans when she got out. Loved, loved, loved the goodbye backstory they gave her in ep13, though!

26. fiberlicious says:

22: There’s no such thing as too much naked T.

27. Maryann says:

#22 The Night Shift. I didn’t care for the pretty-people gratuitous sex at all. The scenes would have been great if they had been between people I had any interest in seeing together.

28. TvLover says:

1. I was thinking the exact same thing! But apperntly SPOILER was meant to be killed. Ugh.

3. I’m sure there will be!

4. I hope Michiel Huisman comes back for Orphan Blacks’ final season and I’d like to Natalie
    Dormer back in Elementary.

23. Yeah, that didn’t make sense to me that the kid creepily obsessed with death didn’t know what cremation meant.

24. Divers use a shammy, it dries them off quickly between their dives, since they have a shorter time in the water. I think some swimmers do too, but I’m not sure, it’s been a long time since I swam though.

29. CK says:

I like what I’ve seen of Dead of Summer so far, but it still boggles my mind that they decided to set it in 1989. I guess they wanted that 80’s slasher vibe, because outside of some of the clothes and the weird “commie” fears, it would have fit easily in the present day.

30. J says:

#1: That whole end of the episode I was screaming “GIVE HER CPR” at my computer. It definitely should have been happening instead of everyone standing around gaping.

31. ScottJ says:

4. Varys and Olenna and Arya all traveled substantial distances between episodes and scenes. Plus Dany’s fleet was still being worked at the start of the episode, and ships aren’t built overnight. Obviously time has passed.

And Jon Snow’s parentage has not been confirmed ON THE SHOW. We know who his mother is but the father reveal hasn’t happened. Yes we all know who it is, and even HBO’s family tree diagram said who..but it hasn’t happened on the show.

32. Pat says:

#15—Dr. Morales going off on the Feds and putting them in their place was fantastic. Sharon handing over the video to ask for them to clean it up, knowing darn well it had nothing to do with the case they were working on, was also fantastic.
    #23—That boy is downright morbid and creepy. He seems to always have autopsies on his mind, draws pictures of dismembered bodies and then he takes the neighbors cat and cuts the tail off. Seriously, this kid needs to be in therapy.

33. Amy says:

Re Outlander – season 1 was so fantastically hot and now it’s like they want to be a historical drama instead and forgot the romance. No one wants to see a fade to black 🙄🙄

34. jenna says:

8: jozae puts the MESS in messiah, i’ll never understand how someone would agree to go on a show for 3 months without knowing what they are getting themselves into

11: perfect way to describe it, I’m really not enjoying this season

18: mindy and jody is such an odd pairing. Throughout the episode the comments from the supporting cast felt like the writers were trying to convince the audience that they might be a good match but it really feels forced

35. Jimpy says:

#4 My question about GOT is did Bran trigger winter. They were safe at the Weirwood Tree until Bran got touched by the Night’s King in the vision. Then he and his white walkers could get past the spells protecting them. Now Bran is, I suppose going home. And if the dead can follow him south of the wall then Bran truly did cause winter. It’s the ultimate case of the future affecting the past since winter has been coming for 6 years.

• Maggie says:

Since Bran has been touched by the Night King, wherever Bran goes the Night King can go, even through areas that had a spell to keep him out. Once Bran goes past the wall, the spells that Benjen told about won’t work anymore.

36. Guest says:

4) Um, he was in Dorne. Get your facts straight writer. Highgarden is farther south then Kings landing, Done is just right across the Narrow Sea from Essos.

37. Care says:

I was hoping you’d mention #12. I didn’t understand who she could possibly text to find out the name of Justina’s dog, either.

• 2muchtv says:

She texted her friend from Girls United who worked for Justina. As Justina’s assistant, she probably would know the dog’s name. I hope she can find another job as Justina will probably know who leaked details.

38. Megs says:

#11 – I’m gonna go out on a wire and defend season 2, even though the premiere episode left me wanting after binging season 1 consecutively 3 times. Quinn has been backed into a corner. At the start of this season of Everlasting she thought she was finally in control. Chet was gone, her protege was going to take her old shit job, and she was going to be the person in the position she always wanted. Of course, things didn’t work out that way. She reminds me of an angry, wet cat. Quinn always has a plan, and a backup plan, and thinks well on her feet, but she certainly didn’t intend for Chet to come back or Rachel to turn on her. She’s pulling punches because her parachute chord ain’t workin! Rachel, on the other hand, is more lighthearted than we’ve seen her. After her whole “money dick power” thing, the sudden introduction of an attractive man in power, who subsequently compliments her, turns her into a grade-A pleaser, and that’s sure to blow up in her face. Coleman may say a lot of things, but chances are he doesn’t give 2 licks about Rachel. I see our two female antiheroes being pushed to their absolute breaking point before combining forces. Rachel will need Quinn, and it will start their rise back to the characters that we’ve seen before: destroying the patriarchy to take back their personal power. Or at least I hope that’s how this plays out… Otherwise I’m jumping ship.

39. Maggie says:

#4 Time has gone by between Varys being in Dorne and the ships sailing. You can tell by the fact that both the Tyrell ships and Dorne ships are sailing along with Daenerys.

I’m not surprised they told us who Jon’s parents are, since the circumstances of his birth and the identity of his mother have been a mystery the show first presented in the pilot episode. Waiting 6 years to tell us isn’t too soon. Besides, Jon doesn’t know yet, and it will be awhile before he finds out.

I saw no romantic vibes from Tyrion towards Daenerys. Tyrion has never been taken seriously by anyone, and has always been a misfit and outcast. Dany is someone who sees the value in Tyrion as and advisor and friend. She doesn’t see him as a misfit, but as an intelligent man who knows far more than her about the land she’s about to attempt to conquer, and the family that rules it. Tyrion has finally found a place in this world where he is accepted.

40. N!loofar says:

#18 I love Jody&Mindy, Garret Dillahunt is really funny. I hope he comes back next season.

41. EM says:

11. Becoming unwatchable. Not sure if it is the fact that all the main characters are not likeable or the pc being thrown about. Major sophomore slump.

42. Kim says:

#1 – Exactly! That was my first thought! Did they even check her pulse?

43. Mommaknowsbest says:

7. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one screaming “A bee!” at the television.

15. I found both situations of undermining the Feds entertaining! Gotta stick it to ’em sometime!

44. Sharon says:

I loved Dr. Morales outburst to the feds. It was great seeing his acting chops.

45. Anon1 says:

#11 – I gave up on Unreal this season after episode #2. It’s not because the characters are unlikeable as some here are saying (weren’t they alway unlikeable and despicable?), but it’s because any sense of reality seems to have faded from the show. Would Quinn have really allowed for two versions of Everlasting to be filmed at the same time? There wouldn’t be enough cameras around and it would hurt both versions of the show because of that. Would they plant a fake “mom” into the picture without thinking there would be any consequences after the episode aired? I mean, do they really think the affected and booted girl wouldn’t be running to every news organization there is stating that the producers cooked up this plan to give her the boot? Maybe they’ll be consequences to both these issues in upcoming episodes, but something about this season just isn’t ringing true to me AT ALL and with the characters being people you really don’t love spending time with (the same could be said for the first season, but the writing was better), I took it off the DVR.

46. Karen MT says:

#4. One article I read said that the ships were actually near Sunspear, considering the amount of Dornish and Tyrell ships with all of Dany’s. Which would mean Varys didn’t come to Meereen, they came to him.

47. Peggy says:

#11 It sure seems like they are trying hard to make us not like Danny but that will never happen for me. I don’t like Mindy and Jodi at all.

#26-Wow, I am glad to see someone else felt that way about Pitbull, way to ruin seeing REO. I was wondering if they auditioned the audience to be that excited for music that was popular before they were even born. Hopefully it is they appreciate good music but I doubt that is the case.

48. Daphne says:

#2. Also isn’t the number one lesson on that show that PEOPLE CHANGE PEOPLE?! How is Riley influencing Maya to become a better person a bad thing?? It makes no sense…

49. Bonnie W says:

I really liked Unreal’s first season and was looking forward to its return, but couldn’t get through episode 2 this season. Quinns’ comments are so vile – I turned off and tuned out.