Zoo Season 2 Ratings

Ratings: Zoo Returns to Series Low

The double-episode Season 2 premiere of CBS’ Zoo on Tuesday night averaged 5.1 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating (per finals), up 7 percent in audience from its freshman finale (4.8 mil/0.9) but hitting a series low in the demo. (The bit of summertime escapism in Season 1 averaged 6.4 mil and a 1.1, after debuting to 8.2 mil/1.2.)

With those numbers, Zoo appears to have matched the lowest ratings Person of Interest put up during its farewell run in the Tuesdays-at-10 time slot. Readers gave the premiere an average grade of “B.”

Elsewhere in the ratings…

NBC | Leading out of U.S. Olympics swimming trials (5.9 mil/1.3), America’s Got Talent (11.2 mil/2.4) was up a tenth in the demo.

THE CW | Containment (860K/0.3) was steady.

ABC | Uncle Buck (3.7 mil/1.1) and To Tell the Truth (4.1 mil/1.0) each rose a tenth.

FOX | Hotel Hell (3.1 mil/0.9) and Coupled (1.4 mil/0.5) each ticked up.

1. Mr. Smith says:

That’s disappointing that not more people watched the premiere of Zoo. Last night’s double episode was far better than anything in season one, and season one was pretty dang good entertainment…

• Shaun says:

the premise looks terrible

• LaDonna says:

Absolutely! I loved it last season, and after last night, I think this season is set to top it. I haven’t finished the book yet, but I’m close to the finish. I love that the book and TV series are different enough to keep me guessing. And for lovers of the book, looks like James Patterson is coming out with Zoo2!

2. wrstlgirl says:

I like Containment and I know it’s a one and done and now I see why. They’ve dragged this out to far. There have been to many episodes that did nothing to move the story forward.

• TV Gord says:

I agree with them dragging it out too far. All the two-hour season premiere did for me was point out how much they intend to drag it out…and how little I care.

I started out watching it with excitement and anticipation. By the end of the second hour, I felt watching any further is only going to let me down. There’s a glut of shows on TV these days that are going nowhere, and this is one more that I can do without.

3. Elaine says:

I didn’t like them shooting at the elephant. Anyway I watched “Containment” since that is what I’ve been watching; can’t stop now. I have to see how it ends.

4. Super disappointed by Zoo’s ratings. I’ve been anticipating the return of the show, although, what happened to the Mitch/Jamie reunion I’ve been waiting for?! Containment is drawing to a close and I can see why. This show should have been at least a couple episodes shorter. And if Katie dies… grrrr

5. J.Norman says:

I’m sorry, but Zoo doesn’t even make a pretense of anything attempting believability.
    I can’t figure out if they are just oblivious to reality or logic or if they are intentionally trying to make it as camp as possible.

6. Penn says:

I’m not really happy with the new season so far. I don’t like the young woman with a gun and I hate Jaimie wandering around away from the team. One of the reasons I watched was her growing relationship with Mitch. With the biting is this going to become some sort of Walking Dead redux? If so, count me out!

7. connor says:

this is why authors need to start being smart and not jumping on any network that will take them, I get that tv shows based off of book series are the “thing” right now, but a wrong move can end an authors career, and CBS is notorious for low ratings and early cancellations for anything that isn’t a sitcom

8. dman6015 says:

Under the Dome did modest numbers its first season. Then Season 2 dropped. Only a higher power knows why CBS gave it a third season. Hopefully, CBS will know better this time.

9. Good! That’s what CBS gets for not renewing Limitless.

10. Larry Moniz says:

Just decided to stop watching the new season of ZOO. What gibberish. First glaring error was two of the cast walking in a Pacific Coast style rain forest, except they claimed to be in New Brunswick, Canada, (Atlantic coastal province — no rain forests) then they examined a dead woman and said here entire mandible had been ripped away from her jaw. HELLO! The mandible IS the lower jaw. What crap writing and production.

• Dr. Roland Kern says:

Agreed. Typical American ignorance of Canada. Since when did New Brunswick have snow capped mountains?! And a bear strolling into someone’s place in Halifax, as though it were a bush town, instead of a city of nearly a million people? To top it off – New Brunswick needing a bush pilot to deliver mail to isolated communities? I can’t take a show that caters to such stereotypical folly. Yes, I am a Canadian – Now I have to go to my 140 acre back yard, feed my pet moose, and protect my dog from another Grizzly attack. That’s after shoveling my 12 feet of snow in the dead of August. Ugh!

11. Debra Richardson says:

I have watched from beginning the Zoo
    It is changing to much
    Please bring Chloe back
    Soap operas do it all the time
    The series will die
    Writers need to retract and remember where characters were with each other