Pretty Little Liars Recap

Pretty Little Liars Recap: Visiting Hours

Alison pulled a Princess Leia on Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars, sending a desperate plea — albeit via phone, rather than droid — to her only hope, Emily.

I can’t say I’m surprised that Alison chose Emily as her lifeline — we all know what went down during those “sleepovers” — but I definitely didn’t expect her request to inspire an alliance between Em and Mary Drake. I also didn’t I think we’d see Mary and Elliott butting heads this early into the season; proving herself to be more sane than I assumed, Mary told Elliott he’s going “too far” with Alison’s treatments.

Based on the promo for next week’s episode, it seems Emily’s determination to save her friend (with benefits) is only going to strengthen moving forward — but does she really think it’ll help to get a job at the Radley? Someone needs to light a few barrels of wildfire under that place once and for all. Seriously.

SOB STORY | But Emily didn’t hog all of Mary’s time this week. Ali’s twisted aunt — who’s already shaping up to be one of the show’s most interesting characters — also sat down with a freshly unemployed Spencer, at which point she spun the dark tale of her admittance to Radley. According to Mary, she was blamed for the death of an infant Jessica had been babysitting; their parents allegedly thought Mary would be safer in Radley than in prison. (They were wrong. Mary looks like she was born to wield a shiv.)

‘ONLY FOR A MINUTE’ | Hanna and Caleb made good use of their first moment alone, finally addressing the big, sexy elephant in the room. Unfortunately, at least for all you “Haleb” ‘shippers, the chat didn’t end with another kiss. “In that room at the resort, before all the lights went off and someone pushed me down a hole, I was scared,” Hanna began. (For the record, if you can actually say that sentence about yourself, you know you’ve hit rock bottom.) “But you were there. I always felt safe around you. Even when we weren’t getting along, you made me feel safe. Maybe that’s why what happened happened with us.”

Then came this surprise: Upon discovering that the bar where she met Jordan had been torn down, Hanna basically fell apart, ending her engagement in the process. (And here I was thinking that Hanna would be the one donning that mysterious wedding dress this season! Back to the drawing board, I suppose.)

BAD TEACHER? | In other relationship news, Aria ended things with Liam mere moments before he told her he was back on her book. (I know I should feel sorry for him, but this is just what comes with dating a Liar. Frankly, Liam’s lucky he even survived the relationship.) Despite promising to remain civil, Liam wasted no time making things weird, comparing “Ezria” to Lolita and saying it’s likely to make the readers’ skin crawl. And while I’m not sure I’d look down on Ezra and Aria’s relationship with that much judgment, you have to admit, Liam wasn’t wrong when he said she was seduced by her English teacher.

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Drop a comment with your full review below.

1. xx says:

It is not “making things weird” to notice the guy writing a book you edit is creepily writing about an inappropriate teacher-student relationship. It is “making things weird” (and illegal and unethical) to be a grown man who decides to date his high school student.

2. Nicholas says:

You didn’t mention that when Alison thought Mary was Jessica she said “You were wrong about Elliott”, meaning that Jessica knew Elliott.

• just_me says:

Alison thought Mary was her mom. She was said “you were wrong about Elliott” because of when she was visited by her mom’s “ghost” when in the hospital last season. I don’t remember exactly what “ghost Jessica” said, but it was something along the lines of telling her that Elliot was good, really loved Ali and would take good care of her.

3. Amanda says:

I’m going to say it…..Mary Drake and Elliott aren’t Uber A….I think they’re some wannabes “A”, but not Uber A….Uber A killed Charlotte…..and where’s Jason? He should’ve been there!

4. lauri5567 says:

Emily was annoying me this week. She knows they suspect Mary Drake, but she’s willing to tell her everything so she’ll help them get Allison out, when they think she was behind getting Allison put in to not-Radley?
    I didn’t realize the missing girl was supposed to be younger than Ezra. Anyway, I was laughing when Aria was breaking up with him. Anyone with half a brain would have realized what was going on, and Liam evidently does have a brain.
    I actually liked Spaleb and thought Hanna’s fiance was cute, so I’m disappointed in that turn.

• N says:

So true. Emily spilled the details to Mary way too easily. Though I liked Hanna and Caleb, I too was surprised at how much I liked Jordan with Hanna. Poor Spencer…it looks like the writings on the wall as far as her relationship with Caleb goes. I was warming to that pairing too. It was an episode of breakups because Liam got hosed quickly as well, in favor of Aria and Ezra getting back together. Back to early season hookups all over again I guess. As long as they keep that creepy Lucas away from Han, it’ll be okay, I suppose.

5. ayzhaburwell says:

I honestly don’t think Mary Drake is a bad person. Or at least as bad as Elliott, and I do feel sorry for her. I think it’s interesting that Jessica might’ve known Elliott. Perhaps some of Ali’s memories/experiences with her mother might’ve actually been with Mary. On another note, I used to hate Hanna being with anyone other than Caleb, but I was sad she broke up with Jordan. I actually liked Jordan. And what is it with Emily and Mary’s alliance? It happened way too easily and too fast. There’s something wrong there.

• wgsecretary says:

I don’t think Jessica knew Elliot. I think that what Ali was referring to was when Mary appeared to her and acted like she was Jessica’s ghost. Ali thinks it was her mother. When she sees Mary again with Emily in her room, she thinks it’s her mom. From what we can tell about the story so far, Ali doesn’t know Mary exists. At least, that’s what I have taken from the story so far.

6. nadialus says:

I don’t know why some Haleb shippers were discouraged by this episode. They obviously weren’t going to jump back in each others arms right away. Hanna ending her engagement and taking Lucas up on his offer and the talk between Spencer and Caleb was the start of all of the couples falling back into place. Spencer and Caleb were never going to last and when Spencer finally finds out about the kiss, especially after Caleb talked about their relationship in past tense, they’re over. And for the people who’s complaint is it isn’t realistic for the OG couples to be endgame – look at what show you’re watching, realistic isn’t a word that’s ever been used to describe this show.

7. A.D. says:

Hannah looked so good in that red dress!

8. paniz says:

I think that wasnt the ghost of jesica in that hospital who said that Elliot is a good guy.she was Mary.

9. Tasty Toffee says:

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Jessica actually stole Mary’s identity? What if Alison was actually Mary’s daughter and not Charlotte? I am not sure but remember in the episode when Hanna’s mom found clothes that were the same size as Alison in Alison’s room and the flashbacks that Alison found had about those two yellow sweaters that her mom brought as a child? I think that there is a HUGE twist here…nothing seems to tie in to the original story line. This has to be it!!!!

• Velloso21 says:

Don’t the explain that her mom bought Charlotte all the same outfits as she bought Ali? That’s why there we two yellow shirts,

10. Saoirse says:

It didn’t make our skins crawl as there are some cultures where its quite acceptable to date a teacher. The parents feel safer to marry off their daughters to someone they know trust and respect. A teacher fits that description perfectly. Americans tend to make a great deal outta everything. ! And besides there is not much of a gap in their ages!! And last of all Aria was the one who convinced Ezra to continue seeing her. She was not seduced by him. AND neither she didseduce him. They liked each other and saw no reason to stop. We can do with some love. Stop with this hatred already.

• Radha says:

Um okay. Let’s just let ALL our teens go out there and hook up with people way older than them then. Since we can all do with some love. /sarcasm

11. Alyvia says:

Why is mary is vs Elliot