Post Mortems
GoT Cersei Without Heirs

Game of Thrones Season 7: EPs Say Beware of Cersei Without Her Children

If you thought Games of Thrones’ Cersei was vicious before — and let’s be real, of course you did — just wait until Season 7, the HBO series creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss tell our sister site Deadline.

“While [she] has certainly done a lot of horrible things in her life and she could be a very cruel person, the one thing that was redemptive about her was, she genuinely loved her children,” notes Weiss. “Now they’re all gone, and I think that is very interesting for us. Who is she without her children? The answer is something you’ll find out next season.”

The EPs point out that Tommen’s untimely demise is, at least in part, his mother’s fault: If The Mountain hadn’t been doing her bidding with Septa Unella, after all, he would’ve been looking after her son and, thus, able to prevent his suicide.

“We had intended [to make that] connection,” says Benioff. “If she had been more focused on her family, and less on enjoying her revenge on someone who had done her wrong, then Tommen’s suicide probably never would have happened.”

What do you expect an heir-less Cersei will be like? Hit the comments.

1. Ian says:

Clearly without the only redemptive thing she had about her, it means she’s gone full-on darkside. Now she can’t make a play at her motives being anything other than selfish from here on out.
    And as much as I wish I could have loved the diva badassness of Lena’s performance and look last night, it was just way too heartless for it to cost Margaery her life and for Cersei to not care at all. It couldn’t have been enough for her to escape judgement and orchestrate a gathering of the High Sparrow and the Faith Militant at the sept pre-trial, and take them out then? Cersei’s earned a pretty harsh death now.

• Amy says:

Problem with Cersei is that she has never “lost” anything: sure she murdered her husband, accepted her children’s demise and the loss of Tywin’s influence but she has never actually lost. One of the things I like about Jaime and Brienne is that not only presents a whole new side of Jaime but it also represents a lost for Cersei.

2. Heather says:

Also, if she hadn’t just murdered his wife, he wouldn’t have wanted to commit suicide

• Michael Littlefield says:

I’m wondering more and more if that was her plan. Let’s face it. She believes the prophecy that all her children would die. Why not push Tommen to do it now and move on? It’s not like this isn’t what she’s wanted since day 1…the crown.

• Lala says:

I usually defend Cersei when it comes to loving her children. I think she just wanted to have her Tommen back from Margery & the faith..
        But after seeing her express no emotion at the sight of his body & refusing to mourn him, I feel this is something she’s prepared herself for since Myrcella’s death.

• I think she now knows beyond any doubt the prophecy is true and she will lose him while he is still a child, which wouldn’t have been for much longer. She didn’t refuse to mourn him, she already had. Kinda like someone having no more tears to cry. Come on, you know how much she loved all three of them.

3. Lala says:

Tommen’s demise was not just ‘partly’ Cersei’s fault…it was completely her fault. You could see the horror & distraught in his young eyes when that Sept went up in flames. The Mountain is Cersei’s guard anyway and eventually was going to go back to her and I feel Tommen was going to take his own life one way or the other, whether he was being guarded or not.
    Cersei was incredible in the finale, I honestly cannot wait for the showdown of the two Queens. Next season Cersei will be unhinged, she’ll burn them all. Right now she seems like an outright villain but Daeny has tyrannical tendencies as well. How is she going to deal with people who don’t want to be conquered by her? By dragon fire I assume. The North knows no king/queen apart from the King in the North….I don’t see that going down too well with Daeny.

• Completely? Rubbish.
      Tommen was a weak child who succumbed to whomever pressured him. Whether his mother, brother, grandfather, wife or the High Sparrow, he bent to that person’s will.
      She’s a horrible woman for doing the things she does, but his suicide is still the fault of his own meekness.

• Lala says:

All of Cersei’s kids were weaklings, she was overprotective & spoiled them too much. Cersei ‘s mollycoddling made those kids weak. Even Joffrey the monster was spine-less. At least Myrcella & Tommen had good hearts. It all comes back to Cersei!

• Micki Pease says:

I agree. Tommen was very weak and pliable. It was an opportunity for him to rise up against his mother and her crimes. Can’t say I’m too sad at the High Sparrow losing his life. Would have liked to have seen Margery spared. In season 7 the queen off will be very interesting to watch. I don’t think it will be much of a battle. Cersi is hated by everyone. Danny will arrive with her dragons at Kings Landing and the people will lay down their arms and let her in. I’m more interested in seeing Cersi’s reaction to having Tyrion be at the side of Dany.

• Dude says:

It was totally Cersei’s fault. Believing anything else is downright delusional.

• Lucifer says:

Cersei ruined her children just as Norma Bates ruined Norman. Both mothers were extremely controlling and infantilized their children, resulting in them becoming crazy and/or dying.

• Alycia Swift says:

How would the Mountain been fast enough to stop him unless he physically blocked the window anyway? He blocked the door on the other side of the room. He could not have known Tommen would walk out the window. Yes, he had a few seconds because Tommen took off his crown but he would have to have been psychic anyway.

4. O'yaya says:

HI TVLine and or Charlie Mason. I’m by no means a spoiler Nazi but can you please consider that not everyone has seen last night’s episode and that an article titled “Game of Thrones Season 7: EPs Say Beware of Cersei Without Her Children” kind of gives a portion of the episode away.

I know you wanna get your hits and viewerships, but stuff like this makes me not count on this website as a place to go for tv news.

Heck I took a break from game of thrones for a few weeks, but had to catch up because every time I came on here on a sunday night or monday morning I would be bombarded with not-so-subtle spoilers on what happened . it’s very annoying.

• Micki Pease says:

If you haven’t watched it why are you looking at a site about season 7? You can’t really blame anyone for spreading spoilers when you’re on the internet looking for GOT info. If you don’t want to know – don’t go looking!

• O'yaya says:

Well A) I have watched it like I mentioned in my first post.

B) I didn’t go looking for anything GOT related. I came to TVline to see if there were any casting news for the fall shows and the first headline I see:

“Game of Thrones Season 7: EPs Say Beware of Cersei Without Her Children” if going to TVline is a guarantee to get spoiled then obviously there is a problem. The spoiler was not in the article it was in the Headline for all to see even without clicking on the article.

• Mo says:

People have been making the same complaint about TVLine since it was born. I doubt they’re going to change now. Even when the article headline says “spoiler” the url contains the spoiler in the address. Honestly if you’re trying to avoid spoilers, you probably need to avoid this site until you’ve seen the show.

• Christy says:

Honestly, I feel like with GoT you have 24 hours to watch until media just lets loose with the spoilery headlines. And on Facebook, heaven help you if you’re not watching the East Coast feed live because your jerk friends will spoil it. (She says from California). My only advice to avoid spoilers is to completely avoid social media & TV Line until you see it because it’s a spoiler mindfield.

I thought the death was the singularly most shocking moment of the episode because I’d predicted most of the rest of it, so I can see why people are bummed out by the headline.

5. Kevin K says:

Cersei Lannister should definitely be #1 on the GoT naughty list.

6. N says:

I am starting to wonder if Cersei and Euron Greyjoy are going to align and marry. Any hope of Euron marrying Daenerys is out the door and Cersei may need Eurons army and ships to combat Daenerys. I also simply can not think of another purpose for Euron and it would add even more tension between Cersei and Jaime.

• Nick Naslac says:

Plausible. Mad Monarch couple. Wildfire Queen and Drowned King. They both self-centered megalomaniac. Cersei with her endless belief that she’s the ‘one’ and Euron “I am the Drowned God”. Perfect.

• Adviel says:

That sounds good! She needs the ships and the numbers.

7. patrickmaloney33 says:

Yeah right she loved her children, she loves the legacy that they represented! Seriously, I know that the Night King is the bigger threat but can we put him on the backburner and focus on killing this annoying cockroach?

8. dioxinblues says:

As long as she keeps wearing clothes like the gorgeous high-neck black tunic, I’m good with unleashing the Cersi crazy. It’ll make the face-off between her and Dany all the more amazing.

9. Smitty says:

Cersei of the series has been downright mild. Would like to see her portrayed more as the monster she is.

10. Shoeburyness says:

The preview thing on the front page says “now-motherless”. I think you mean “now childless”.

11. Ha Ha Ha! Tbh I imagine what Will A Snow(not) with a Stark Warg Boy and a Lady Stark would Do, and As Interesting are the Words Said by Our Very Own Khaleesi, which clearly Means that she’s Looking for a Man,

And Where Jon Supports Women Empowerment and That Matches with the likes of The Mother Of Dragons,

And She won’t make Alliance with Jaime, then who else but Jon Snow ? 😅😅.

But will have to Wait …..!

12. Goood morning!

Not quite in this issue maybe,
    but I wish to ask. Caan anyone suggest a good board game?

Wants something fun and new. Thanks for the assistance.