The Last Ship Season 3

The Last Ship Recap: Vampirate

This week on TNT’s The Last Ship, CNO Chandler “reclaimed” command of the Nathan James and set out to find its missing crew members, while Slattery & Co. got acclimated to their new digs — and their new bloodsucking host.

Back on the Nathan James after dodging multiple attempts on his life, Chandler made the decision to appoint Granderson his XO versus Burk, given how the latter questioned his own call to pursue the bogey last week, leaving the ship unable to defend the guys returning on the raft. That in turn forced Chandler and Wolf in the helo to fire at the baddies, possibly dooming any prisoners who might have been on board.

In another unpopular decision — one questioned by POTUS — Chandler insisted on joining Wolf, Green and Sasha on the ground in Vietnam, hoping to get a lead on their missing friends. Meeting with one of Sasha’s connections, Chandler trades his “Top Gun” timepiece for intel. Searching for a “Kinji” in the marketplace, they happen upon a man who’s wearing Slattery’s uniform shirt. Their accosting of the guy draws the attention of the MSS, and a chase ensues, during which Wolf engages in a pretty nifty, extended bit of daylight, non-shadowy close combat. At the rally point, they are met by a barrage of fire from MSS agents — but luckily Jesse arrives just in time with her helo and a gunner, having been convinced by Granderson, among others, to not selflessly flee but stick around to help.

During that skirmish, the man who’d had Slattery’s shirt told Chandler that he could not risk being found out by “Takehaya,” so he set himself up to be shot to death by the MSS. Back on the ship, Sasha explained that Takehaya is a name adopted by a mythic pirate responsible for legendary amounts of plundering. He is also…

…the man now tormenting Slattery and the others at a jungle compound, where the CO was the first dragged away for a blood-letting… that went straight into Takehaya’s veins. After a woozy Slattery was returned to the hut, the captives were brought to a feast — of iron-rich foods designed to “fatten them” for further letting. Later, Miller and Ray got the idea to sneak out via the “toilet” and run as fast as they can, on a scouting run. They expectedly are captured/beaten, but not before they made note of distances to water/coves and, perhaps more importantly, an operational radio tower….

What did you think of the episode “Shanzhai”?

Want scoop on The Last Ship, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. A says:

who’s the guy wearing black t-shirt?

2. diane says:

I love me some Wolf

3. Brad says:

Awesome episode and that wolf fight scene though pretty good so I take it them being kept captive is gonna last most of the season

4. Vahagn says:

I think they might make one more escape run to the radio tower to call for help. MSS has a big reveal I’m telling you from now.

5. Anne says:

I’m going to keep reading these recaps to see if Rachel is actually dead or not (I’m still holding out the tiniest bit of hope). Otherwise, I’m holding true to my threat to stop watching.

• Normandy says:

Is it a threat if no one is threatened?

• Jerri says:

OMG! Get over it, Anne. So they killed Rachel, so what? She’s ran her course on the show; where would they have gone in season 3 with her still around? “oops cure isn’t working as well as we thought….Rachel will save us”, that would have made people tune out quickly. Her death upped the stakes for Chandler & co. The show’s about him & the Nathan James, not just Rachel. One character does not necessarily make the show. A lot of shows kill of main characters after a few seasons. NCIS killed off Sasha Alexander,’s Kate, yet the show is still doing well in ratings despite some people screaming bloody murder and threatening to stop watching. When Cote dePablo left, fans are still butthurt over her choice and has threatened not to watch the show, yet NCIS is still going strong having been renewed for season 14 and 15.

• Zoe says:

I can understand . The show right now feels empty without its 2 main stars Tex and Rachel. This episode spent way to long on the new lady and her helicopter.
      And for people to say well Rachel died because there was no story left , that is just poor writing

• Katherine215 says:

There is no way Tex could ever be considered a main star of this show. I love him, but he was a member of the ensemble. I’m disappointed they killed off Rachel rather than giving her a smaller story line or just writing off her character. Because god knows, no one wants to watch 3+ years of them just battling a virus; there was no way to keep her on if they were going in a more “life after the cure” direction. And people would just be complaining that her character had been sidelined.

• KLS says:

I agree. I don’t miss Rachael at all. People seemed to forget that she was a pain-in-the-a** for most of season 1. Tex was’t a main character, but I liked him, a non-navy guy fitting in.
          I do have an issue with the leadership structure on the Nathan James. Who was the XO before last night? And did they make everyone who was a part of the initial crew lieutenants? And where did Burke’s brother come from?
          I guess we shouldn’t think about blood typing with the transfusions either….but I digress.

• Chrissy says:

-The XO is Andrea Garnett. -The only obvious promotion I can recall between seasons (beyond XO and CO) is Miller becoming an E5.
            -Granderson is a temporary XO. Burks brother stated he kept 300 people alive (paraphrasing–possibly incorrectly) while the NJ crew was out saving the world. I’m sure more on him will develop throughout the season.

• Chrissy says:

Also wanted to add that I don’t miss Rachel in this new storyline. I won’t be upset if she’s still alive somewhere but I also don’t mind if she’s not. Tex is obviously not with the crew because he’s not Navy (or current military) and he has a daughter to raise. What would he be doing in the scheme of this season? Working security in St Louis is the only thing I could think of. I’m not on board with Sasha yet, I know some people enjoy her giving Chandler hell but she’s Navy, she shouldnt be talking to the CNO the way she does. I’m hoping she’ll grow on me. I’m on board with Jesse though.

• KLS says:

Thanks Chrissy. I admit I know next to nothing about navy ranks. I was just surprised to see so many characters with lieutenant’s pins on their camouflage uniforms. Making Garnett the XO makes sense. I just missed it on the show. I know she was sitting with Slattery at the club.
            I am with you about Sasha (no) and Jesse (yes, for now).

6. Jerri says:

Sasha reminds me too much of Dottie from Agent Carter. And yes, I’m aware both are played by the same actress, but Sasha just seems kind of slippery.

• Katherine215 says:

I can’t decide if her character’s supposed to be suspicious, or if I’m seeing something that isn’t there because I keep thinking of Dottie.

• grazelled says:

I feel the same way. After White Collar, Rose in JTV, and Dottie in Agent Carter I’m never too sure of her character’s motives. They always have an agenda or never seem to be who they appear.

7. Irish says:

Now Matt, do you watch Supernatural? The term “vampirate” was coined by Dean Winchester in the episode “Blood Brothers” shown in season 8. So it should have a little tm by it. :-)

8. kirads09 says:

Takehaya Susanoo-no-Mikoto is the Shinto god of the sea and storms. Yes – Hiroyuki Sanada
    So love him. Want to see him in more.

9. Carol_R says:

This show doesn’t even resemble the 1st two seasons. Hopefully it will continue to drop in ratings. Firing Rhona Mitra and the ludicrous scenarios just to blow stuff up – the show needs to die.

• Jerri says:

Here’s a novel idea, Carol, change the channel and stop watching the show.

• Jerri says:

Also, how do you know Rhona was fired and it wasn’t her choice to leave the show to focus on other projects or her personal life? And really, because when Rachel was there the scenarios they were in were any less ludicrous….

• KLS says:

I wouldn’t expect/want the show to be the same as the first 2 seasons. Rachel Scott served her purpose. She did her job. Time to move on. Not every show needs or should have a couple/triangle to make it a good show.

10. W says:

Question, how are they able to operate in a foreign land without anybody questioning or arresting them? Isn’t there any surviving government in the places they’re operating like Vietnam or Shanghai?