Post Mortems

Game of Thrones Big Finale Casualty Speaks, Calls Death 'Inspired'

The following story contains spoilers about Sunday’s Game of Thrones finale. Proceed at your own peril.

Game of Thrones‘ Season 6 finale featured a predictably high body count, but it’s fair to say it was Margaery’s explosive death — alongside the High Sparrow, Loras and many others — in Cersei’s Sept of Baelor massacre that packed the biggest punch.

In an interview with EW.com, portrayer Natalie Dormer called her onscreen death “really clever,” adding that, “It’s not an echo of anything you’ve seen in the last six years. It’s truly its own unique moment to tie up what’s been a unique storyline about what’s happened in King’s Landing over the course of Season 6. I thought it was an inspired choice.

“And it’s really interesting that I am given a moment of some vindication at the very end, which was the perfect way for Margaery to leave the show,” the actress continued. “She’s given a platform to say that she was right, as she always is. But because the power was taken from her, she couldn’t do anything about it.”

Dormer acknowledged that her whacking was likely a result of series’ rapidly approaching end game. “They have to tighten the storylines given however many episodes are left,” she told the site. “They have to focus them, down to get to the real business of the throne… I appreciate they have to streamline and they’ve come up with some ingenious ways to do that that the audience will not see coming.”

1. Cris says:

I’m going to miss Margy. Her vs. Cersei was what I lived for.

• Tim says:

They were never really given a great scene together, at least nothing that measures up to the likes of Servilia and Atia from Rome.

• Dude says:

That’s because they never had the guts to let Margaery measure up to Cersei. She was clearly just as smart and manipulative as her but they always wrote her like she was playing out of her league so she never really got the upper hand on her. It’s a shame that she had to go out like that but it was a pretty thrilling conclusion. Now I just hope Cersei dies. Painfully.

2. Kevin K says:

Margaery’s demise makes me very sad. Now I’m starting to dislike Cersei.

3. Jimmy says:

Margaery’s death seems like such a waste for what started out as a very interesting character. I can understand why it had to happen, but still sad to see her blown up.

4. pllfan24 says:

Margaery was one of the best characters. She was intelligent, strategic, and crafty. Cersei is the worst and I can’t wait for her to die.

5. Luis says:

More Moriarty on “Elementary?”

6. O'yaya says:

Sad that she’s dead.

kinda hopeful that this will free her for some more Elementary

7. HeyThere says:

I would love to see her back on Elementary! But I’m sure she’s focusing on film instead. Wishing Natalie the best! Gonna miss Margaery.

8. The Beach says:

I just wish, if she had to die that she would have kicked that pompous, passive-aggressive High Sparrow in the nuts before they both blew up.

9. Jenn says:

Cersei has struggled the entire season! Most don’t want her to succeed but she fascinates me… I can’t wait to see where her black heart takes her character! Most people who feel wronged or judged can see the thrill in the underdogs revenge. She has been humiliated enough! I love Cercei’s resilience!