Star Trek Reboot Spoilers

Star Trek Boss Bryan Fuller on Casting, First Arc and Bringing On Former Faves

Bryan Fuller — showrunner of CBS All Access’ upcoming Star Trek reboot — really isn’t supposed to be discussing his plans for the series yet. But at this week’s Saturn Awards, he couldn’t help himself. “We’ve got the arc of the first season entirely written, or arced out,” he revealed to Collider, “and we’ve got the first six episodes entirely broken.”

The onetime Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager writer went on to say that the series would be telling just one story over the course of Season 1’s 13 episodes, sets were going up in the next couple of weeks, and he’s begun meeting with actors. “There’s a few people that we like,” he admitted, “and we want to carry on what Star Trek does best, which is being progressive.

“So it’s fascinating,” he continued, “to look at all of these roles through a colorblind prism and a gender-blind prism.”

Though the show will not be subject to the strictures of network television, Fuller — perhaps wisely — didn’t sound too eager to push the envelope in terms of, say, nudity or swearing. “Star Trek’s not necessarily a universe where I want to hear a lot of profanity,” he said.

At that same event, the former Hannibal boss hinted to Moviefone that there was room in the series to bring on former characters — “eventually.”

The new Star Trek will launch on CBS in early 2017, with all subsequent episodes then being available exclusively on CBS All Access, the network’s on demand and live streaming service.

Are you psyched for the reboot? Who would you cast? Hit the comments.

1. JRC says:

I was excited about the new show until the new fan film guidelines were released. As a life long Trekkie I was very disheartened by the new rules, though I understand why: Paramount/CBS doesn’t want to have to complete in the Online Arena with potentially better quality independent content.

• Simon Jester says:

Yes, that seems a shame. I saw a bit of the Axanar prequel and it looked better than either of the two reboot films.

• Chris Riti says:

I’m right there with you. I’d put my Trek fandom up against most… but the way CBS and Paramount are bullying the fans through this ridiculous Axanar lawsuit will see me boldly going… away from all future Trek adventures.

It’s sad, really… but the line in the sand was drawn by the studio, and those who drew the li e seem to have forgotten that Trek has only survived its 2 multi year hiatus is because of the rabid fanbase that they’re eating away at.

• Zee says:

Haha, true that… Honestly I’m not a Star Trek fan, only recently I finished Star Trek Enterprise. I’m searching for action adventure space tv shows and so far Expanse, Kill Joys and Dark Matter are what I’m watching.

2. AJ says:

Never watched a Star Trek show in my life but I will be watching this just because of Bryan Fuller.

• David4 says:

You have never watched a Trek series? You are really missing out. TOS, TNG and DS( are stunning. TNG has one of the best series finales of any show in TV history.

• BillyBobJohnson says:

Stop talking in acronyms. My guess is that someone who has never watched would be confused by TOS (The Original Series), TNG (The Next Generation), and DS (Deep Space 9). Let’s not forget about Voyager and Enterprise, even if you’d like to.

• Bunny says:

Still, looking at a mountain of episodes from decades where writing and social ideas were not as progressive can make it very hard to appreciate. As well, your nostalgia may not translate to a new viewer at all. AJ, it’s okay that you haven’t seen Star Trek before, and you aren’t missing out if you decide not to see the old ones. Even knowing how good they were in their time, doesn’t mean a new viewer will be able to appreciate that. I’m glad we’re finally getting a star trek for our generation.

3. Cat says:

Sorry, CBS, but as a life long Star Trek fan…you’ve lost me. Much as I would like to see a new incarnation, I do NOT stream video…and I am NOT about to pay MORE than I already am for the “privilege”. If you can’t (or won’t) air all of the episodes on CBS, I won’t be watching.

• David4 says:

There are other ways to watch it……

But I would bet that once CBS Stream will be a failure and by then they will most likely show the first season in the summer.

• nerdrage says:

Star Trek would die on CBS. Broadcast was hostile territory to a genre show like Star Trek way back when Enterprise was cancelled, and the situation has not gotten better. The young, early-tech-adopter crowd that is the main audience for Star Trek was the first to defect from broadcast for streaming.

Too much of the potential audience for Star Trek has simply vanished from broadcast. And keep in mind that broadcast doesn’t want anyone over 49 watching because advertisers don’t want to reach them, which knocks out a huge chunk of the audience right away. No, streaming is the right place for Star Trek. I just hope CBS introduces an ad-free tier. I’m ok with paying say $12/month but I’m not paying a dime to watch ads.

• David4 says:

Enterprise was canceled because it was a mess of a horrible show that only survived as long as it did because it was a Star Trek show.

The show premiered to over 10 million people, I think that’s the most ever on UPN. It failed it’s audience.

• Temperance says:

Enterprise didn’t work very well for a number of reasons, but there were some great things about it. Mostly, the show wasn’t planned well enough, and broke to omany of the rules in the setup. Some of the characters didn’t really gel either. I think it’s pretty plain we’re ready for some new adventures.

• Cat says:

I am one of those in the over 49 audience who would like to see this…but I don’t do streaming…and I’m already overpaying for my TV service. Sad to think that networks don’t realize that we in the 49+ age group are their biggest “broadcast tv” viewing audience…as well as being BIG Sci-fi fans.

• Easathor says:

A fan of show’s depicting the future — but will only watch those shows using technology 10+ years in the past? Color me confused ….

• Jakko says:

If it were $6/month for something special, maybe. But it’s $6/month for a 42-minute show and five commercial breaks. You’ve got to draw the line somewhere.

4. nerdrage says:

I’m still interested in Fuller’s original wish to cast Angela Basset and Rosario Dawson as the leads. Dawson can have major roles two shows (other actors do, with the shorter cable/streaming seasons) and still be a recurring Daredevil character. I’d rather see her on Star Trek.

5. Steven says:

I feel like this would be better off on The CW which has been the home to genre fare for years. I just recently got into the old series. I Watched 3 of the movies and now I’m watching Voyager and I love it.

• Imzadi says:

The CW? Please no. I cannot see Star Trek fitting any of the shows, just because of the genre.

• Simon Jester says:

I think Trek could sit very comfortably next to sci-fi shows Frequency or No Tomorrow on The CW.

• Steven says:

The CW is really the only safe place for genre shows on Network Television. Star Trek did well on UPN.

• Wordsmith says:

CW is great for their genre shows, but they do have a very particular brand that aggressively puts the young a pretty front and center. A character like Picard or Janeway could never be the lead in a CW Star Trek. More likely, you’d end up with a ship full of Wesley Crushers and Chekovs.
          I love the CW dearly and watch all of their shows, but let’s be honest.

• Bunny says:

I see your frustration but remember, TOS was all young pretties. It’s not a departure from canon to have a young crew. What the CW really lacks is strong writing. I don’t think they’d ever have the wisdom to hire Bryan Fuller and then let him do his Bryan Fullering thing that he does. They’re too much in the school of ’emotional abuse = good writing’ and ‘shock-value = good writing’ etc. I love the CW but it’s like… twinkies, vs Bryan Fuller’s more substantial seven-course meal.

• Bunny says:

…are you serious? You realise ‘superhero’ is a branch of the sci-fi genre? especially The Flash, which has as much weirdness as Star Trek ever did. The CW’s a great choice for Star Trek–not that CBS will ever let THAT happen!

6. degra says:

I’m hesitant about this new trek series. I thought the Abrams films were awful and I’m not a big fan of Fullers weird and surreal approach to everything. Plus he wrote some of the weakest trek episodes when he wrote for DS9 and VOY–Spirit folk, fury, juggernaut, gravity, empok nor to name a few

Plus I dont want Trek to become like modern tv series these days with gratuitous nudity, deaths for just shock value and water cooler chit chat the next day, ridiculously fast pacing, huge casts and too many plotlines

Trek should have a modest ensemble, easy to follow plotlines not the all too commonplace complicated interconnected mysteries that plays games with the audience.

• Bunny says:

I can understand the objection to Fuller’s visual style, it’s not for everyone; but comparing a writer’s very early work to what he can do right now… doesn’t make any sense. I mean, twenty years of practise is going to make anyone a lot better at what they do. And it’s actually because I agree with your distaste for shock-value, emotionally-abusive writing that I am someone who trusts Bryan Fuller–who focuses first and foremost on telling a good solid story. Give him a chance, maybe look at some of his more recent work to see how his writing has improved. Whether it’s the romantic opera that is Hannibal or the musical comedy of Pushing Daisies, his writing has definitely improved since he wrote his first scripts for star trek in the nineties.

7. Maryann says:

The possibility of bringing on former faves? What hint does that give us about the time period setting for the new show?

• Rozie says:

My guess is that it will take place 30 years after the premiere of Next Generation. It won’t be in the time line of the current film reboot – that is owned by a separate company, Paramount Pictures. Setting it after TBG, DS9, and VOY will also allow for guest appearances by those actors.

• Aargh says:

Keep in mind….the quote says “former characters.” Not actors. He could be implying recasting the roles.

• Ben says:

I really hope that they pick that time line… ’cause back then that was the show that i want to watch after VOY finale (I hate the precuels). And if they don’t use the same actors for the guest appearances… i feel that it would be better for the show that they don’t use that bait.

8. Miss Emma says:

I looked at the 14 suggestions for the new Star Trek captain.
    I think Elizabeth Mitchell should definitely be a part of the show one way or another. And I do like the idea of Nathan Fillion becoming the new captain – or also some part of the series.

9. Louise says:

I was around for the original in the 60’s, but I live on a fixed income now and as much as I am a Trek fan I don’t have money to pay for streaming a show, so if it’s not on a network, this fan won’t be watching.

10. Anthony says:

fortunately, the anthology concept allows for for several captains, crews, and ambiance. i would love to see ken watenabe take the big chair for a season or two. my gut tells me, that while we trekkers love the flavor-of-the-moment set by TNG, extended by DS9, then mildly injured by VOY, i think some more modern story telling and dialogue talent would be useful. i’ve loved everything Joss Wheadon has done, i think he’d be a great addition to the writing staff for the anthology concept.

11. Paul says:

This show has too much going against it for me to have much interest, and I am a lifelong Trek fan. I may rent and watch it after it has aired, depending on opinions. Pay $6/month, and get ads into the bargain? They must be joking. Plus, too many code words in Singer’s description. And… why did I purchase a nice, large TV and am then expected to stream to a phone that’s got a 5″ screen? Other than portability I just don’t understand folks who watch TV that way. The sense I get is that someone at CBS doesn’t like the franchise. But they were pressured to create a new show, so they are creating it in such a way as to assure it fails. Then they can tell their boss, “See? There’s no audience for it, like I told you.” :)

12. Bunny says:

I want at least two characters who are identified as trans, on screen, in a primary role, at least one of whom is male, likeable, and morally good; and both portrayed as equally attractive as anyone else. No sexist stereotypes of their gender, no desexualising, and ESPECIALLY no cis people ‘accidentally’ discovering they’re trans via nonconsensual nudity!! This is the ‘progressive’ that I need!

In fact, I want this for every minority being cast. I want your ‘gender blind’ and ‘race blind’ to realise that ‘badass female’ is NOT progressive for a woman of colour, and ‘fashion maven’ is NOT progressive for a trans woman, and ‘funny sidekick’ is NOT progressive for a fat person, etc. Don’t be ‘blind’, that means you’re ignoring the implications and context of someone’s race/gender/minority. What is progressive for one group is stereotype for another.

I would also really like Eddie Izzard to be in this (and let him wear makeup while going by ‘he’ please!) as a primary character. I don’t care as who but lord he was top-notch in the pilot to Mockingbird Lane, please let him be that archetype again.

13. Leah Hutcheson says:

My sister and I dream-cast a reboot of Star Trek YEARS ago and had Gina Torres as captain!

14. Sean says:

Star Trek really lost me when it started looking backward instead of forward. As much as I loved Trials and Tribblelations as an episode – around that time was when I began to loose interest for the franchise. I keep hoping it’ll get better but it never really does…