Game of Thrones Season 6 Theories

Game of Thrones: Mad Queen Cersei? Baby Bolton? Jon's Twin? A Pre-Finale Check-In on Popular Plot Theories

Is Game of Thrones‘ Cersei getting ready to “Burn them all!”?

That depends on who you ask, how much time you spend on fan sites and how much you like to second-guess the HBO fantasy series.

We’ve resisted jumping into the “Ooh, this maybe-sorta-could-possibly happen!” pool all season, but as the finale draws near (and we continue to try to catch our breath after the Battle of the Bastards), we figured it was time to check in on some of the more popular ideas circulating in the Thronesverse — and to judge the chances that we’ll get any answers or clues in “The Winds of Winter,” which airs Sunday at 9/8c.

Is Sansa carrying Ramsay Bolton’s heir? Is Bran a more important character than we realized? Who’s Jon’s mother — and does he have a twin? Click through the gallery below to see them all, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Mollymoo says:

Maybe the Hound is the Little Brother that takes out Cersei… The prophecy didn’t say it was HER Little brother. Also, I thought Valarian was not gender specific do maybe Arya puts her Faceless Man time to use and checks a name off her list.

• Area doing it would be sweet! And like the idea of the Hound.

• Joey says:

But why would the Hound do it, and how? Last we saw him he was giving some serious thought to joining the Brotherhood, and the Brotherhood made it sound like they were heading north. Tommen and the High Sparrow also did away with trial by combat, in favor of a regular trial. So while the Clegane Bowl theory may still hold up in the books, the show has pretty much done away with it.

2. Wordsmith says:

Seems like the things that are most likely to happen are the ones least likely to happen in this season’s finale.

3. I’m going with Jon being the son of Robert and Llyana – the “black of hair” quote from his ‘uncle’ Eddard keeps ringing in my head every time I see Jon.

Just starting the books so don’t know about the killer of Cersi, but I imagine if the whole King’s Landing Septum being destroyed by fire with King Tommen being present and burning to death or by suicide, then yup, her little brother – and he has displayed hidden rages – would finally lose it and take her ‘murder’ of their remaining child as provocation to free himself of her. At last. But I like Mollymoo’s theory of Hound dispatching the queen bitch.

If there is a twin of Jon – or he is not a Bartheon – then my vote is on Gantry being Robert’s son. But to me it makes more sense that Robert and Eddard’s sister had a child and Eddard could not tolerate him being raised by Robert (or murdered suspecting it wasn’t his child). This also unites Baratheon and Stark houses to make the North more stable.

My final theory? Khalesee’s rule will be short-lived as she will die with her dragons to turn back the Living Dead King – and maybe utterly destroy him. I like her idea of a new world order, but she is the last Targyreon and really, Westeros isn’t their home to rule.

• Maggie says:

Gendry is Robert’s illegitimate son, and the that’s why Joffrey had his guards look for him to kill him.
      Jon Snow is not Robert’s son by Lyanna Stark. There wouldn’t be any reason for Ned to lie to Robert about having a son. At the time Robert was a different, and better, person than what he was at the end. The only logical reason that Ned would have falsely claimed parentage in order to hide Jon is that he is doing it because Jon is Lyanna’s son and a Targaryen. Robert wanted all Targaryens killed, and Ned couldn’t let his sister’s son die. That’s my guess.

4. VJ says:

That Jaime kills Cersei is a theory I believe in for quite some time bow and I didn’t even know about the rest of the prophecy (not a book reader) so now I’ll stick with it. But I doubt it’ll happen in the series finale as Jaime is seen with the Freys in the trailer. Well maybe he borrows Littlefingers magical teleportation abilities and will appear in Kings Landing…
    Any theories on if and how the Tyrell’s will get out of this whole mess? Margery has a plan right?

5. Red Snapper says:

The R+L=J theory has never really been portrayed on the show like it is in the books so I was very excited by the Tower of Joy scenes. I thought for sure it was finally going to be confirmed. There’s a reason that they did those scenes and I hope we see more on Sunday. Also, I think Mad Queen Cersei is also very likely.

6. Jim says:

Well Sansa definitely isn’t pregnant by Ramsay. Her and Ramsay is a storyline invented by the show and having his kid would change the ending of her story too far from where’s she’s meant to end up when it all wraps, which the writers will definitely want to circle back around to. Other than that, we’ll see!

7. ScottJ says:

The “Little Brother” part of the prophecy has been omitted from the show so far. So its not currently relevant to anything we’re going to see on screen. I guess they could still introduce it though.

8. iloentje says:

Catelyn died at the end of season 3, not 4. :)

9. DarkDefender says:

I’ll go out on a limb.. Margery is the mad queen. She will end up burning kings landing, killing Tommen and Cersei. Thus making her the last Royal (until Dany shows up) and they make a threesome pact with Yara..
    Jamie will have to either take Margery out or go find Brienne and take up defense of someone (I’m guessing Daenerys) since he helped Tyrion escape, which lead to Tywin’s death and Dany will over look the king slayer, because she would have stopped Old man Targereyen if she wasn’t just a child when Jamie got to him. Jorah is toast, so Jamie can be the new Jorah.

10. peterwdawson says:

I’ve got Cersei basically nuking King’s Landing after Tommen dies due to some kind of shenanigans (The Mountain accidentally killing him is how I figure it’ll happen, I’m fairly convinced King’s Landing is screwed and that includes the king himself), and the big cliffhanger on top of that to end the season is the Lady Stoneheart first appearance. Dunno if either of Bran’s big moments will happen but I do think we’ll check in with him one last time.

11. The Kaibosh says:

I don’t see Cersei nuking Kings Landing. Or at least not all of it. I see her either threatening to do so; leading to a cliff hanger show down or nuking a part of it to prove a point. On another note, GOT is twisted in its parallels. The Boltons were the anti-Starks for example. Another parallel might be unfolding right in front of us so forgive me for observing this but I see chemistry between Jon and Sansa. The revelation of R+L=J might prove useful there.

12. arianeb says:

Lady Stonehart should show up at the Frey house and go on a killing spree… then reveal Lady Stonehart is just Arya wearing her mothers face.

The only thing that would freak out book readers more would be the reveal that the Night King is wearing a Benjen face.

• jazzyt2u says:

Noooooooooooo don’t say that about Benjen… I’ve been waiting for him to reappear since he went missing.