12 Soap Characters Heading for Hot Summers

12 Soap Characters Who Are Heading Into Red-Hot Summer Storylines

Oh, quit your moping already. Though many of your — and, yes, our — favorite primetime dramas are currently on hiatus, their daytime counterparts don’t get a summer vacation. In fact, if anything, the afternoon soaps turn up the heat this time of year to ensure that their storylines are as irresistible as a poolside mojito.

Among 2016’s steamy selections: The Young and the Restless is serving up the tawdry tale of a vixen torn between two lovers… who just happen to be half brothers. General Hospital is hooking up its resident sweetheart with not just a bad boy but (arguably) the baddest boy in Port Charles history. Days of Our Lives has put its newlywed hunk in the path of temptation. And The Bold and the Beautiful has given its foremost ladies’ man not only his own private playroom but — of course! — an eager playmate to go with it.

See? Suddenly, the dead of summer is sounding a whole lot livelier, isn’t it?

Scroll through the gallery below to find out which characters you should keep the closest eye on in the months ahead. Then hit the comments with the characters you want to see joining them on the front burner!

1. Lucky says:

I’m most excited to see Sam and Jason’s adventure this summer.

• susie says:

No disrespect to the actor but I feel no heat between the new Jason and Sam. The original Jason and Sam sizzled.

• ppat says:

I agree with Susie on the “no heat” issue. I fast forward thru their scenes. This is also one recast that I have not been able to get behind.

• bigdede says:

And poor Kelly is trying her best to make her scenes work with Billy but it’s like he isn’t even trying. Ever since Fox passed on that Urban Cowboy pilot, it’s like he’s been pissed ever since and has just stopped trying.

• wrstlgirl says:

IDK, it’s so blah that I feel like both of them are just going through the motions to get it done. There’s absolutely no spark in their personalities whatsoever. It’s sad.

• Anna says:

Nah, the chemistry was never there between these two actors in the two years Billy Miller has been on the show. I don’t think it’s the fault of either of them – it’s just not there.

• Lily says:

Me too! Jason and Sam are the only interesting thing right now on the show.

• Victoria Ames says:

Yes, I am most excited to see Sam and Jason’s adventure as well. I love how great Kelly and Billy are with each other. They have the best chemistry on the show.

• Anna says:

Are we watching the same show? Kelly and Steve Burton had chemistry. Kelly and Jason Thompson had chemistry. Kelly and Billy Miller are boring as hell together – just nothing there.

2. Kevin K says:

Couple reasons Y&R might happened this Summer – love triangle between Jack, Phyllis and Billy and what does it mean for Justin Hartley’s future on the show depending on his prime time gig in This Is Us?

3. Susannah says:

I’m not sure about Liz and Franco, I think I’d prefer that they concentrate on the family story that seems to be developing between Liz, Hayden and her mother. I love Roger Howarth as an actor but Franco is just so damaged, he killed people and kidnapped her kid, tumor or no tumor. I think I’d rather see Liz with someone new.

• bigdede says:

That’s why I blame the writers. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to bring back Roger as Franco needs to retire from writing because that was the dumbest idea ever. The Franco character was just a one-note villain for James Franco because he wanted to see how daytime tv works. That character was never meant to be a lasting character. That’s why Carly/Frano didn’t work even though Laura and Roger have chemistry. It doesn’t even make sense that the character is still alive. He had Sonny’s son raped!! He tortured Jason/Sam. Jason has his memories back. Why hasn’t he killed Franco?

4. Su says:

Sam doesn’t have a husband. She’s divorced. And those two can’t muster even an ounce of the excitement of a classic L&L adventure.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Sam and Jason are sooooo incredibly boring, yawn. Although Liz and Franco have good chemistry I’m not so sure I want her with him romantically. She needs a good guy for a change. The Alexis and Julian story is going to be fun. As far as Chad and nanny Ciara, I’m okay with her having a crush on him but let’s not hop in the sack, that just can not happen.

• julie says:

Dillon and Kiki would be fun, but I’ll pass on serial killer and mob hitman romances. Julian and Sonny are both trash, Alexis is an idiot if she allows either man anywhere near her or her kids.

• Nemi says:

The thing is Liz had a good guy in Lucky even Nikolas but the Liason fans will only be happy if she is with Jason…apparently, Jason’s the “good” guy they want her with, when we all know Jason isn’t all good.
      Personally, I prefer Liz with Franco because they have a lot in common! Perhaps, being together would help them grow because they are two characters who hasn’t show any sign of growth/maturity.

• wrstlgirl says:

I hate how the show says that Jason is Liz true love, that’s not true, Lucky holds that title but since he’s not around they try to sell us this crap. Jason is not a good guy, you are right. I laugh every time Sam talks about how good Jason is and that he’s no Sonny or Julian. She is right on some level, Sonny orders the murder, Jason just carries it out, so yeah, I guess they are different LOL!!! And she doesn’t seem to have a problem living off all his blood money. I guess she justifies it because some of his moola is Q money.
        I liked Jake Doe. He was funny, lighthearted and enjoyable to watch. Jason is just a bully, and a really bad one.

Liz and Franco do have wild chem but when they get into relationship Jason is going to go for custody of Jake so I think that’s why I’m hesitant to accept them getting together. Franco is actually better with Jake than Jason is.

• Nemi says:

The show never said Jason is Liz’s true love..only the Liason fans says so. Lol! Sam isn’t the only one saying Jason is good person. Liz says so too but that’s only when she’s trying to manipulate him. Liz had no problem accepting Jason’s money too. Remember the house he paid for? Those were all blood money too.
          I laugh at anyone who enjoyed Jake Doe because he was the most boring and useless character ever. Only the Liason fans enjoyed Jake Doe because he was Jason. If he wasn’t Jason, they wouldn’t have enjoyed him…kind of how Liz was with Jake Doe. She had no problem picking Ric but as soon as she found out Jake Doe was Jason, she couldn’t wait to bed him.
          I hope they don’t go down a custody battle over Jake because it’s clear the writers are trying to trash Jason to make Liz/Franco work. If the writers do go down that custody battle, I hope it’s reveal that Lucky is really Jake’s biological son…why else would Helena take him? Maybe then, Jason will finally be free from Liz/Franco and Friz could start a new journey together.

• wrstlgirl says:

Well we’re going to have to agree to disagree because I’m not a Liason fan or a JaSam fan, I don’t play those stupid games. So saying that only Liason fans enjoyed the Jake Doe story is simply not true. And the show has most certainly implied many times that Jason is Liz’s true love. I would love for Jake to be Lucky’s kid so Liz could be rid of Jason once and for all.

• Nemi says:

Wrstlgirl, You’re definitely the first non Liason fan who liked Jake Doe that I have come acrossed. I don’t care for the Liason/Jasam thing either. Jason is overrated IMO and I think there are better guys on the show than Jason. Lol. I do find it odd that you claim not to do the Liason/Jasam games but trashes Jasam in almost all your comments on here. Lol. I have watched GH for 50 years and not once had I heard the show implied Jason as Liz’s true love. I have seen GH create promo implying others as Jason’s loved ones or others as his great love though. Yes, I too would like Liz to be free from Jason once and for all. I want better for the character Liz.

• wrstlgirl says:

Here’s the thing. I don’t really like Jason, and I don’t really like Sam so of course I’m not going to like them as a couple. But this is where the silly shipping wars go wrong. JaSam fans think that if you don’t like them then you are automatically a Liason fan. But I don’t like Jason so that logic just doesn’t work, LOL!!

6. Max says:

The Gallery doesn’t seem to work on my iPhone 6.

7. Mar says:

Liz and a psycho and Chad his teenage nanny? Those are supposed exciting stories? Disgusting.

• Melanie says:

Not excited about those stories either. Sure the writers could have come up with better ideas for those characters.

8. Tracy says:

Phyllis’s predicament is kind of stomach-churning to me. I love her and Billy separately but am having a really tough time watching their mess. I only hope the summer story ends that affair so I can start liking them again. (You should’ve added Victoria’s new relationship with Travis to this list – that’s a hot story that is nothing but goodness.) I’m actually massively intrigued by Elizabeth and Franco, but your description almost makes me feel guilty for that. Almost! The actors’ chemistry is so fun to watch, I just hope the coming story does it justice. Alexis just needs to get rid of her loser husband. If she falls for that tool’s lines again it will be a true shame.

9. Xi Jiongwei says:

Looking forward to the JaSam adventure and them working together to solve all while growing closer & closer together – the way it should be. So happy my favorite couple is back on track.

10. Danielle says:

Bill is the “hot mess” not Katie. Bill and Brooke are nothing but trash. Brooke stay earning that “slut from the valley” phrase.

I’m loving Phyllis and Billy. They’re heating up the screen. Looking forward to what comes next for them.

I love the “hubby” reference. Even though Jasam are divorced they still refer to each other as “husband” and “wife” which I love. I’m enjoying Jason and Sam’s adventure. I love Sam in P.I./kicka** mode. Looking forward to what comes next for Sam and her hubby.

11. Melanie says:

DAYS – Do NOT want to see Chad and Ciara have any kind of fling even in her dreams. Understandably at her age she would develop a crush on Chad but it should never cross his mind to feel anything for Ciara except gratitude for helping with Thomas. Looking forward to the Deimos/Kate/Nicole/Dario/Chloe storyline. Like Theresa, sad to see her go. Anxious to see how they’ll write her out. Hopefully not in a bodybag. Really would love to see more humor and family oriented stories.

12. Please… Sam and Jason will never be Luke and Laura. Putting those two in the same sentence is blasphemy.

13. huh says:

I really wish they would change there story lines there all the same way stealing babies cheating with brothers and sisters getting hit by cars all the same with different people

14. LizWebberFan says:

I love Liz and Franco. They are so great together. Franco’s been very good to Jake. He clearly cares about Liz and her family. A romantic relationship between the two could be great.

15. Laura Hayes says:

As someone who has watched GH for over 50+ years, I must say I enjoy Sam and Jason more than Luke and Laura. Don’t get me wrong, I love Luke and Laura a lot but Sam and Jason just have this great love story and in my opinion is GH’s #1 couple!

16. Nemi says:

Let’s get something right. Liz Webber is no sweetheart! A sweetheart will never lie or cheat, let a woman believe her child was dead, confused her dysfunctional son, refuse to give her child help, keep a man from his child and wife and raped a man (rape by fraud). If anything Liz and Franco deserve each other. They make a perfect delusional, rapists family!

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t see anyone saying that she is a sweetheart. Everyone on this show has done horrible things. I mean really horrible things. I could make a list but I don’t have the time, lol!!

17. Monica S. says:

Love Jason and Sam. I’m so ready for writers at General Hospital to give Jason and Sam a story about them and their son. I’m sick of seeing the same repetitive storylines where it’s the same people trying to break them apart or destroyed Jason. Move on already because we all know Jason and Sam are true loves who will always find their way back to each other!

18. bigdede says:

The whole Hilary story is just stupid and pissing me off! Neil kidnapped her and had an quack doctor experimenting on her. Yet somehow this will be all Hilary fault?

19. Andrea says:

I’m loving the Jason/Sam adventure so far. I just wish their scenes were/are longer.

20. Margaret says:

Is this new Nicolas here to stay???😫😫😫😫 GH

21. Tami says:

I really dislike Sam and jason, Looking forward to liz and Franco, Kind of tired of the Billy, and phillis stuff.

22. Marie says:

On GH- Please bring on Sam and Jason. They are too cute together.
    On Y&R- Looking forward to more of Billy.
    On Days- Ugh! I just have a hard time accepting this Ciara. Haha. I just perfer the little angelic Lauren.

23. liame says:

Believe me when I say the story lines aren’t that sizzling. They put characters together who have zero chemistry, some who can’t act and the writers are basically telling the same stories over and over again. Nothing new and nothing exciting.