Fall TV Preview
Arrow Season 5 Artemis

Arrow Season 5: Faux Canary to Return as New Archer Hero, Artemis

Season 4 Arrow guest star Madison McLaughlin is due for an encore, though this time abandoning her wannabe Canary get-up.

Having previously appeared in the first episode following Laurel’s death — as Evelyn Crawford, an aspiring vigilante — McLaughlin will reprise her role in multiple Season 5 episodes, our sister site Variety reports. This time, though, Evelyn will adopt the superhero persona of the archer known as Artemis.

In DC Comics lore, Artemis was the daughter of villains Sportsmaster and Huntress, though she was eventually taken under Green Arrow’s wing after his sidekick Speedy left.

Interestingly, Evelyn Sharp (Crawford) had her own DC alter ego, as the Birds of Prey member Starling, but the CW series obviously chose to go in another direction.

Other incoming Arrow additions include Chicago P.D.‘s Josh Segarra (in the series regular role or DA Adrian Chase aka Vigilante) and Reaper alum Rick Gonzalez as the DC Comics character Wild Dog.

Arrow Season 5 premieres Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 8/7c.

1. rahajicho says:

Everything I’ve seen this actress in (Finding Carter, Chicago P.D.), she’s been nothing but a bag of trouble.

2. ABG says:

She was terrible on her debut episode. Nothing against her, but they probably can do better.

• NM says:

The problem with The CW shows is that they rarely spend time with casting and as a result the wrong actor is cast and ruins the character.

• JC1 says:

I think they’ve made a lot of good casting decisions. The problem is, when they get it wrong they really get it wrong. Ra’s al Ghul, Laurel Lance, Vandal Savage, the Hawks…… This just feels like another one. :( I know it’s not actually Artemis Crock, but Artemis Crock on Young Justice is one of my favorite characters (as was Justice League’s Hawkgirl), and I’m just kind of upset about this.

3. JC1 says:

That is not good news. I was not impressed at all by the actress in Canary Cry, and Artemis is an awesome character that deserves better. :(

4. Janie says:

After all the recent casting news, I’m glad the latest new character is a female! (And a kid so we don’t have to worry about another silly love triangle). Not that I was a huge fan of Laurel, but without her or Sara the show is a bit of a sausage fest…

5. Lizzie says:

Oh dear. On one hand I’m glad that it’s a female casting but on the other I thought she was terrible as faux Canary and this show doesn’t need another mask. It’s overrun by masks as it is. That was my one hope when Laurel died, that we’d cut back on the masks and make the team smaller again. Hmm. Gonna wait and see but not holding my breath over this.

• Erica says:

I don’t think the the show can ever go back to a ‘small team’ again.

• Lizzie says:

Yeah, I know. My hope was a long shot! I just miss the basics, and with more masks Oliver is gonna be pushed out yet again. I just want to see Oliver in the main role with everyone else supporting but we barely saw him shoot an arrow last season. So this makes me think it’s just gonna be the same thing yet again.

6. Mike R. says:

Another white washed character on arrow… what a shock….

• Erik says:

So it’s white washing to have a character who is white in the comics (starling) be white in a tv show? Yes they are using a different code name. But it’s not like they are taking Artemis crock and making her white. (who is white in the comics, young justice made her mother Asian so they could tie Cheshire to Artemis btw)

• befastordontbe says:

Madison is white, Hispanic and Native American though?

7. Jason says:

what was the point of the faux canary storyline..they could have just introduced her without all of that if she was not going to be the black canary

• befastordontbe says:

It’s obvious they wanted to have her stay as fake Canary given how Amell welcomed her to the cast and they just couldn’t handle the backlash that happened.

• JC1 says:

I think they always planned to have her stay, but not as fake Canary (although I was hoping they’d abandoned the idea frankly). I think faux Canary was just a one time deal to drive the plot point of Oliver revealing Laurel was Black Canary.

• Lizzie says:

This. They used her as faux Canary because they wanted to ensure that no one else could take up the BC mantle after Laurel died.

8. Luis says:

So it seems a theme for the upcoming season will be Oliver as mentor and leader (of Star City as mayor) and as leader of a reconstituted Team Arrow.

9. datdudemurphy says:

I was just thinking Team Arrow didn’t have enough members….

10. clintbrew says:

i wonder if artemis teams up with wally west in arrow or the flash

11. Wordsmith says:

Makes sense that they wouldn’t have her be Starling, seeing as it’s the name of the city and all. It would be like Bruce Wayne’s kid sidekick putting on a cape and calling himself “Gotham.”

12. adam says:

I’m curious to know why so many people don’t like this actress. I wasn’t a huge fan of her faux canary on Arrow however I liked her on Supernatural and Chicago P.D. But people always seem to hate her characters on TV shows including the ones i mentioned earlier and i’m not sure why.

13. befastordontbe says:

They need stop trying to make Evelyn happen. It’s obvious they wanted to make her Walmart BC but weren’t prepared for the backlash so now they’ve given her another character that has nothing to do with her at all.

Oh well. She’s only four years younger than EBR/Felicity so I’m rooting for GreenArtemis to happen!

14. steven says:

Can’t they just have Nyssa al Ghul join the team?

• befastordontbe says:

Katrina Law got cast on Training Day. I bet she wants to stay as far away from Arrow as that lets her.

15. Ben says:

I liked her, so I guess I’m on the opposite side from most people. I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with her.

16. ScottJ says:

So basically everything that the viewers keep saying is wrong with the show gets to be repeated yet again.

17. Huntress is not a villain. She’s an antihero (think Punisher).

18. Donovon says:

Ok, dude, you got it wrong. In DC lore, Artemis was a villain and born of two villains. The part you got right is her being the daughter of Sportsmaster and Huntress. The whole Green Arrow sidekick thing, that was only in Young Justice. Yes, YJ is popular, really awesome, and that version of Artemis is extremely popular, but if you’re gonna talk DC lore, get it right or at least specify which particular lore you are going with as clearly you went with Young Justice.

19. Agent 86 says:

Um. Why? The character’s first appearance was entirely forgettable. And why make her Artemis, when Artemis has a much more interesting backstory in the animated Young Justice (although that differed from the comics)?

20. Ella says:

Really don’t like this actress, she was very irritating on Supernatural. And there is no replacing Katie Cassidy’s Laurel Lance.