Fall TV Preview
Arrow Chad L. Coleman

Arrow Season 5: The Wire Alum Cast as Stringer Bell-Like Villain

To bring to life its new baddie, Arrow wanted a performer who called to mind The Wire’s Stringer Bell — and came damn close: The show has cast the actor who played the acclaimed HBO drama’s Dennis “Cutty” Wise instead.

Chad L. Coleman will recur on Season 5 of the CW series as Tobias Church, an imposing gangster who is looking to unite the various criminal enterprises in Star City under his own singular command, IGN.com reports.

As TVLine first revealed, a casting breakdown likened the heavy to Idris Elba’s Wire drug kingpin and described him as a ruthless crime lord who sets out to fill the sizable void left by Damien Darhk and H.I.V.E.

Other incoming Arrow additions include Chicago P.D.’s Josh Segarra (in the series-regular role of D.A. Adrian Chase aka Vigilante) and Reaper alum Rick Gonzalez as the DC Comics character Wild Dog. Season 4 guest star Madison McLaughlin will also reprise her role of aspiring vigilante Evelyn Crawford, who adopts the superhero persona Artemis.

Coleman — whose other TV credits include The Walking Dead, The Expanse and Roots — makes his debut in the Season 5 premiere, airing Wednesday, Oct. 5, at 8/7c.

1. Eric Kane says:

Arrow won me over this season with this casting news. We needed a ruthless new baddie and I think Chad will do the role justice

2. wrstlgirl says:

Tyreese!!!

3. ScottJ says:

I don’t care who the show casts. They need to stop with the season long big bad approach entirely. It doesn’t fit with what the Green Arrow character is supposed to be.

• 134sc says:

From what I am hearing, it seems as though they could be pulling a Flash where Zoom was the big bad, but there were many villain of the week episodes, that tied into the big bad. Unfortunately, I don’t think they will ever get rid of the big bad entirely

4. Lizzie says:

This is the best casting news this show has had in a LONG time. I’m finally excited and so impressed. He’s gonna be fantastic!

5. Shaun says:

They need shorter arcs this season,with maybe an over arching plot.

• Lizzie says:

I totally agree with this. Every season starts out really strong until episode 9 and then when it comes back in January for episode 10 it kinda goes downhill. Pretty much very season has been the same. Shorter arcs would definitely help with this.

6. Chuck says:

No man I ain’t making myself clear. The game ain’t in me no more.

7. 134sc says:

I like everything I’m hearing about this season. Street level villains and heroes. That what this show should be about and that is what they seem to be going back to. That being said, it’s all in the execution….

8. Gail says:

Arrow should not be about super powers. It won’t happen, but I wouldn’t mind if they left Arrow out of the big crossover.

9. Joey Padron says:

Happy Chad will be in new season of Arrow playing new big bad villian of season 5. Chad is a great actor. New season is gonna be good!

10. Weezy says:

Perfect casting choice…I have loved this actor in everything he has done since the days of Cutty…