Looking Movie Trailer Teases Inevitable Patrick-Dom Romance

Yep, Looking is going there with Patrick and Dom.

HBO released the first trailer for Looking: The Movie (airing July 23 on HBO at 10/9c), and it ends with Jonathan Groff and Murray Bartlett’s heretofore platonic pals lying in bed mulling a hookup. Well, Patrick is mulling it, at least. “You know this has been staring us in the face the whole time,” he tells Dom.

In the pic, which promises to bring the short-lived series to a satisfying conclusion, Patrick “returns to San Francisco for the first time in almost a year to celebrate a momentous event with his old friends. In the process, he must face the unresolved relationships he left behind and make difficult choices about what’s important to him.”

Exec producers Andrew Haigh and Michael Lannan penned the script, with Haigh also serving as director.

HBO cancelled Looking last year after two low-rated seasons, but network president Michael Lombardo cushioned the blow by immediately commissioning a standalone movie to tie up all the series’ loose ends. “There were some fans that really wanted to find [closure] with the storylines, [and the writers] wanted to wrap up storytelling for the characters,” said the exec, who viewed Looking as a passion project. “I thought the show, creatively, was really doing something that I hadn’t seen on any other show, particularly dealing with gay lives. As a gay man, in particular, I was very proud that there was a show that felt like it was dealing very honestly and openly with gay men and their lives, without putting them into a comedic mode.”

1. wrstlgirl says:

Maybe I’m alone in this but I never saw a romantic relationship with Patrick and Dom, just a great long term friendship.

• Steven says:

Yeah, same. I really don’t know how I feel about that.

• Ron says:

Same. I am so NOT on board for this…at all! I’ve always just got great friends vibes from them. Gay men can just be friends with each other without wanting to get with each other…

• Ian says:

You’re not alone, obviously. There are just some folks that want to see Patrick and Dom get it on. Ausiello included.
      Personally, I’d just want to see Dom find real love and a great partner.

2. Ryno5656 says:

I thought their backstory was that they hooked up once when they first met but decided to just be friends.

• wrstlgirl says:

I believe you are correct, or almost hooked up, not sure, but this video looks more like them goofing around as they normally do, we’ll see. I’m definitely looking forward to seeing the movie.

3. J says:

A Patrick/Dom relationship is the last thing I wanna see. That somehow wraps up loose storylines?!? Yawn..

4. Ian says:

Haigh and Lannan have learned nothing, i see.

• ex360 says:

Geeze…it’s such an obvious joke. Dom even laughs at it. And Andrew Haigh is never wrong. I’m a true fan. I know we won’t get a happy ending but I know I won’t be disappointed.

5. Lilly77 says:

Patrick and Dom? Wrong in so many ways. I was looking forward to this movie, but not if they are going to ruin my memories of the show altogether.

6. Alex says:

Team Patrik+Dom here!

7. alistaircrane says:

Better than Patrick and Kevin. Plus, Richie deserves better than Patrick. That being said, I was hoping dumb Patrick would end up alone and miserable.

• Ian says:

That was my wish too. Patrick is the absolute worst.
      Richie deserves better than Brady as well, but apparently any little white boy is good enough for him, so. Isn’t that always how it is.
      There won’t be any satisfaction to be had from this film.

8. Dennis says:

If Patrick and Richie don’t end up together I will throw my laptop out the window…

9. as3487 says:

All I can say is I’ve waited over a year to see Patrick and Richie end up together. Please don’t disappoint!