Penny Dreadful Season 3 10 Most Memorable Moments

Penny Dreadful Finale Lead-Up: The 10 Most Memorable Moments of Season 3

As the third season of Showtime’s Penny Dreadful draws to a close Sunday — with a two-part finale starting at 9/8c — we can’t help but feel for the series. Brilliant as John Logan’s monster mash is, it’s a bit like “all the broken and shunned creatures” with whom Dracula identifies.

How so? For starters, Penny Dreadful has never received a major Emmy nomination and has only received a single Golden Globe nod, for its exceptional leading lady, Eva Green. Plus, it’s never drawn the kind of ratings, much less generated the sort of hoopla, that, say, The Walking Dead does — and AMC’s juggernaut only has zombies, whereas Penny Dreadful has vampires, a werewolf, Frankenstein, Dorian Gray… The list goes on and on!

What’s more, this season, the drama served up not only some of the year’s most thrilling action sequences and scariest shocks but also some of its most heartrending moments. (We still get misty-eyed thinking about Vanessa and Mr. Lyle’s tender goodbye.)

So, before a stake gets put in Season 3, scroll through our picks for the most memorable moments From Episodes 1-7, then hit the comments with your favorite scene.

1. Vanessa Ives says:

Penny Dreadful doesn’t garner the ratings and recognition it deserves because it doesn’t compromise with the short attention span and low IQ of most TV viewers who most likely has never picked up any of the books the show is based on because they are “boring” or too “avant-garde”. Apart from Academy members’ lack of imagination and prejudice towards the genre, media journalists plays a hand when you guys choose to write about stupid unworthy overhyped shows compared to quality shows like Penny Dreadful, The Americans, The Leftovers, etc.

2. Bartimeus says:

I’ve been holding off on this season so I could binge it as soon as it’s done but every time I see a picture of that sexy guy (I think it’s supposed to be Dracula) I almost cave and start it. *sigh* Hopefully he’s had lots of screen time.

• Erin B says:

Do it! Give in to temptation! It’s worth it!

• Cory says:

I’ll be starting it this coming Monday after the finale has aired. Even though it might take me longer than I think to finish, there’s always a chance that I’ll have a free day and finish most of the season in one go. I just like knowing the whole thing is there for me to watch at my total leisure. :)

3. Taylor says:

still no news on a renewal? this show can’t leave me!

4. LAwoman says:

Penny Dreadful is so beautifully written. Shows come and go, but for me, PD will always be a favorite.

5. Becca says:

I’m so glad that Billie Piper’s rousing speech encouraging the ladies of the night to commit homicide. That is my second favorite moment of PD, only following Vanessa at the seance. She killed that scene

6. Gennie says:

I haven’t watched it fully, I mean this season3 coz,I’d like to watch the last 3episodes in one lamentable day.to accept the fact of long wait again. Hopefully they’ll renew it. It’s the most near reality(or non exaggerated scenes based on the novels) execution of these supernatural beings are very addicting to watch in a way.reminds me well of the literatures I used to love reading. And this show made me come over the depressing hypes of the real world. And loving Eva green’s amazeballs performance(totally rooting for Ives&Ethan thing to happen.lol) in short makers of this brilliant show has expressed a great deal of treating oneself well and how to be purposeful even in the lowest darkest points of our lives. (Weird,but that’s how this is to me.) So please renew… Some viewers are just starting to realize how amazing this show is,(I know,those late bloomers..ugh.)

7. Dan says:

Amen to that whole intro. It’s baffling that Penny Dreadful doesn’t get all that much buzz, considering its immense production values, the quality of the incredibly well-written scripts and the superb acting of Eva Green and Rory Kinnear in particular.

8. L Brodie says:

Penny Dreadful is the most compelling drama on tv. You can’t tear your eyes away when Vanessa or Mr Clare are on screen. The power and emotion just transcends you into a different era and a different world. All the other cast are equally powerful in their performances. I watch it every week and every week I feel part of something special. Not for the faint hearted but not a typical unimaginative horror. The drama pays homage to its original inspiration. The fact it does not get as many awards as other dramas is a travesty. As long as Penny Dreadful does not end prematurely I will be happy. All good dramas have to end. Let’s hope ratings don’t dictate what is an excellent superbly acted, superbly written piece of television.

9. Please don’t end the beautiful show it has everything in it love have vampires werewolves what else can you get love in. show. All in one please don’t end it

10. Pj says:

Best kept secret on Showtime
    Superior actresses & actirs
    Please bring back another season

11. Anne says:

I have never seen a television show that I have enjoyed as this one. The production values are outstanding and the entire cast are terrific. I can’t believe that it hasn’t received more awards. Showtime should be promoting it more.

12. Rubio says:

That was the worst ending for a series since the last episode of Merlin.
    Vanessa Ives deserved a better ending than just becoming a sniveling, pitiful lame brain. Where was her indomitable spirit at the end? She just ended as another weak woman begging a man to solve her problems. What a disappointing end to what had been a brilliant story.

13. JP Beaubier says:

If you meant the bloodiest scenes, you’ve forgotten the Dorian-Lily bloody threesome. O.o