Orphan Black Krystal Sarah

Does Orphan Clone Need Spinoff? Can Beauty Join Legends? Was Containment Kiss Creepy-Hot? And More TV Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Preacher, Orphan Black, Bones and Orange Is the New Black!

1 | Don’t you wish Outlander had given Angus a few final words, rather than just guttural noises and blood-spitting?20qs-hertz-drivers-delete

2 | Did seeing this commercial during 30 for 30‘s O.J. docuseries make you wonder how Hertz for so long got away with that missing apostrophe? Ugh.

3 | How is it that the Tonys are vastly more entertaining than other awards shows? Is it because of the snippets of Broadway productions (e.g. Hamilton, Waitress) that are not readily available to so much of the country? What can the Emmys and Oscars learn from their lower-rated, niche-y “cousin”?

4 | Which was more shocking, Penny Dreadful fans — that Vanessa allowed Dracula to bite her or that Dorian set up Lily to be “cured” by Victor? Also, how hollow was Ethan’s renewed dedication to Vanessa after he abandoned her and shtupped Hecate?

5 | On Game of Thrones, does Pod and Bronn’s conversation outside Jaime’s tent get the Meta Moment of the Year award?

6 | Was last Sunday’s Preacher major-crimes-rustymeant to make us feel sorry for the no-good, rotten Donnie? If so, did it work? (Our answer: Uh, no.)

7 | Who is it that Major Crimes‘ Rusty reminds us of, with his new haircut? Could it be… Dexter Morgan??

8 | Is American Ninja Warrior followed by Spartan: Ultimate Team Challenge a little too much athleticism for one night of programming (asks the Couch Potato)? And how is it possible that none of the Spartan teammates flashed anyone while pulling on each other’s shorts and shirts to climb up the slip wall?

Spartan NBC9 | Hey, it’s summer, so time for us to again ask: Why does America’s Got Talent insist on showing Nick Cannon mugging to the camera from the wings, using either of exactly two facial expressions?

10 | How did your own B.S. detector fare during the first episodes of ABC’s To Tell the Truth revival? (Did that redhead’s dramatic hair color kind of tip you off that she was the circus contortionist?)

11 | Which Person of Interest fans instantly made the connection between “Dashwood” and the Sense & Sensibility novel Finch used to propose to Grace, versus which of you perhaps didn’t pay the best attention during seventh-grade English?

12 | Would TBS’ Wrecked stand to benefit greatly from finding a way — no matter how implausible — to resurrect James Scott’s ill-fated Liam?

13 | Wascontainment-shower Containment‘s kiss-through-the-shower-curtain scene strangely sensual and creepy at the same time?

14 | How much you wanna bet that ABC tries to “meta away” the Noah Galvin hullabaloo by having his Real O’Neals character “sound off” on a gay TV character or a closeted classmate, and then offer up a mea culpa?

15 | Any theories why two-time Emmy champ Anna Gunn hasn’t seen more of a post-Breaking Bad career lift? (Nothing against Shades of Blue; it’s a fine little show.)

16 | Wilmer Valderrama’s NCIS casting probably won’t leave much money in the Season 14 budget to promote Sarah Clarke and Duane Henry to series regular, right?

17 | On Orphan Black, doesn’t it seem like the island is awfully easy to get to in a short amount of time? (Is it near Nanda Parbat?) And once the fifth and final season has aired, can we please get a sitcom centered around Krystal? Or maybe a Sex and the City-type series?

18 | Was Bones devoting an entire subplot to Brennan and Booth de-cluttering their home a sign it truly is time for the show to wrap up?

Beauty and the Beast19 | Even though The CW’s terminal Beauty and the Beast isn’t a part of the Berlanti-verse, can Legends of Tomorrow add “ass-kicker” Catherine to the team for Season 2? (Kristin Kreuk’s roundhouse kicks!!!)

20 | Should watching 120 straight minutes of Aquarius be a new obstacle on NBC’s American Ninja Warrior?

21 | If Orange Is the New Black all takes place during Piper’s 18-month prison sentence that began in mid-2013, wouldn’t Lolly’s joke about a “Cosby dream shot” in the Season 4 premiere — re: the allegations that swept the nation in November 2014 — put Piper quite close to her release? And if so, can the show survive for three more seasons without her?

Hit the comments with your answers — and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Layla says:

#13. I have been all for Jake & Katie from day 1 but in my opinion, that kiss was all kinds of creepy and I just felt disturbed afterwards.

• Steven says:

It reminded me of a creepier version of the Pushing Daisies kiss through Saran Wrap.
      And for 21, I don’t think we’re supposed to be thinking that far into it.

2. Jennifer says:

#3 – Have James Corden host. Teach “hollywood” to be more humble. Be more diverse.

3. wrstlgirl says:

12. YES YES YES YES!!!!
    13. That kiss was very erotic…..and awkward.

4. Squirrelly says:

Regarding #17, I would TOTALLY watch a Krystal spin-off, but one condition: She has to have Tony as a room-mate! Imagine her fussing over him keeping his hair and beard neat.

5. Kim R says:

11. POI – Dashwood immediately connect for me to Sense & Sensibility. Clever and sweet.
    16. NCIS- with only one cast member leaving there really isn’t a need to have 3 added. I think Wilmer will perfectly fit a full-time slot and have the other 2 pop in every once in a while.

6. Kim R says:

11. POI – Dashwood immediately connected for me to Sense & Sensibility. Clever and sweet.

7. Luis says:

3. The Tonys have the benefit of showcasing the best musicals of the Broadway season, often along with snippets from classic musicals. The original musical numbers on the show are written to take advantage of the talents of the assembled stage veterans. Movies and TV do not do musicals the way Broadway does.
    7. OMG!! I was killing myself trying to figure out who Rusty reminded me of! Do they want to turn Rusty into a serial killer?
    10. I totally called the redhead from the circus family for the contortionist, but I whiffed on the others..And, ex-squeeze me? $375 for suit pajamas?!
    11. I immediately thought “Sense and sensibility when I heard “Dashwood.” *Sob*
    16.Wilmer Valderamma?? WTF???!!!
    17.The island is on the Nanda Parbat shuttle, two stops after Hoboken. How about this for a spinoff- Krystal’s Hair Palace -the stylists are all clones!
    19. Only if you bring Tom Welling in, too.

8. Max says:

#8 – the back stories on ANW are fine for the competitors. But on Spartan, it’s hard enough to keep track of all the teams, let alone trying to get to know the individuals. Enough already.

#9 – that’s why I avoid the British YouTube clips, the constant cutaways and mugging of the backstage hosts. Even more annoying than Nick Cannon.

#14 – Recast him already.

9. auntiemm says:

#16. I would love to know the story behind hiring Valderrama. It came out of seemingly nowhere after the very public casting calls that yielded Henry and Clarke. The polls I’ve seen seemed to favor Henry; but, IMO, neither were introduced as well as Jenny and Ziva at end of Season 2. I don’t think you’ll be seeing much of either.

10. Erik says:

19: dear god no she was the reason I stopped watching smallville and didn’t start watching again until she left.

11. Kate says:

3. Honestly, it probably has more to do with the fact that the performance, most of the audience and more than not of the presenters do live theater more so they can role with the punches. But, if you want to be super picky, during Hamilton’s closing number, they forgot to turn on Eliza and Peggy (or Phillipa and Jasmine if you want to be specific) because I have a feeling they told them they were opening in the middle of the song which is more Angelica’s part and forgot that they join in immediately on the chorus.

11. I hang my head in shame that I didn’t put that together on POI. Especially since he brought Grace up specifically earlier in the episode (I know she was sent off and they couldn’t actually have Carter be on, but you’d think Grace could pop up once just because she’s actually married to Michael Emerson). But then, I can confidently say I only watched the movie, have no memory of what I read in seventh grade, but pretty sure I was in my transition from Sweet Valley High and Christopher Pike novels to venturing into my first Stephen King and Clive Barker at the time (which was they paused by an early high school fascination with romance novels, it took me about a year to figure out its the same story).

17. I figure it probably is Nanda Parbat (at least they make the effort of the helicopter and they don’t like use Littlefinger’s teleporter that he has on Game of Thrones), but I think Krystal’s sitcom would probably need Felix and Art to join her just for reaction shots.

12. h5n1 says:

17 as much as i love orphan black, if season five is really final and netflix doesn’t swoop in to save the day, i don’t think Krystal can carry a show on her own – she;s fun in small doses…
    that aside i would love to get a spinoff of some kind – there are too many great characters (Cosmia, Helena, Felix, Ferdinand) to just let it go

13. LaDonna says:

#8. I’m not sure if it’s too much, but I will say that this couch potato was completely exhausted after Spartan!
    #17. Yes to the Krystal spinoff! She’d make an entertaining show all by herself!

14. acmesco says:

Seriously? Acquarius is incredibly good –

15. Bwhit says:

13) I think I’ve settled on 50% romantic and 50% creepy. When they went for the actual kiss I felt like she was going to suffocate and I also thought of all of the other people who may have been using that shower with that curtain. But as a fan of them together, it was a very good moment.

16. Kia says:

18. Not at all. It was a way to make some nice callbacks, like to the cocky belt buckle and it was rather sweet, in my opinion.

17. Tom says:

~
    I think the performances do have a lot to do with it yeah, though don’t the Oscars at least have the song performances? I don’t know what else to suggest, especially since it doesn’t quite translate to the Emmys.
    ~
    ~
    Yeah, I don’t think anyone will EVER feel sorry for Donnie.
    ~
    ~
    Time will tell, don’t know if I see that happening though
    ~
    ~
    Um……..that’s a damn good question. I mean Betsy Brandt has done more post Breaking Bad than her.
    ~
    ~
    How about we let Kristin be on something more people want to watch for a change.
    ~
    ~
    That’s a damn good question, though it’s possible she could get time tacked on. I don’t know, I haven’t watched any of season 4 yet.

18. 19. YES!!!! KK needs to be on tv!

19. Kevin K says:

#16 – nobody can replace Michael Weatherly on NCIS and it won’t be the same without him. Hope Bull is destined to become a breakout hit for CBS.

20. Liz985 says:

#4 – I’m willing to give Ethan the benefit of the doubt on the whole leaving Vanessa thing. He had just killed Sembene and knew he couldn’t keep those closest to him safe when he turned. Then he got picked up by Det. Rusk and the story line with the father in New Mexico was one that needed to be played out to its conclusion. Our star-crossed lovers were separated for a while, but thinking back to “The Little Scorpion” episode in Season 2 don’t think you can deny the chemistry between not only the characters, but also the actors. I mean, come on, the dancing scene in the cottage? I’m just hoping for a Season 4 so we can see them together more.

21. Annie Sisk says:

11. :::hand shoots up:::

22. Kevin In CT says:

15. A very good question indeed! she was very good in the USA version of Broadchurch and I was also looking forward to seeing her in the latest Criminal Minds thing. Does anyone know what happened with that?

Kevin in CT

23. cuius says:

16. Sarah Clarke and Duane Henry appearances at the end of last season seemed very low-key

24. Alichat says:

1) When it first aired, I thought he did say something right before his last breath. I thought it was something in Gaelic, but checking the script, I don’t see that anything was written for him to say.
    4) I KNEW Dorian would turn on Lily. He’s lost control. I was annoyed with Vanessa. I was expecting her to show her throat, and then shoot Dracula as he bent in to bite her.
    17) I know right?! I thought Susan would have bled to death by the time Sarah arrived.

25. DarkDefender says:

21. Piper should be close to release, but I suspect she’ll get extra time for her pantie biz. Also show time is way slower than real time. The bigger question, is yes.. OITNB could totally survive without her character.

• John036 says:

I wouldn’t say Piper is close to release, as every season usually picks up where the previous one leaves off (give or take a few weeks)

26. tahimar says:

#7-Is that Rusty or GOT’s King Joffrey? Not good.

27. ScottJ says:

12. The only thing Wrecked would benefit from is disposing of all the video and forgetting it ever happened. Although the same thing could also be said of many other non network shows like The Detour, The Ranch and Flaked.

28. Mommaknowsbest says:

3. Why are the Tony’s better than their cousins? Because they aren’t so snotty and don’t take themselves as seriously. They perform for the joy of it and have fun. The Oscars and Emmys are for who can starve themselves the most and then show off their bodies in glamorous gowns – no talent needed. And no, I’m not bitter – just honest.

29. Anna says:

3. The Tonys have a couple of awards-show advantages over the other three EGOT shows. First, musical theater in particular is an art that lends itself well to three-to-five minute performances (straight plays face a difficulty similar to movies and TV show reels at the Oscars and Emmys). And because it is so performance based, there are no “dead zones” with several categories broken up by nothing but poorly written jokes. (That said, if anyone from CBS reads this, for the love of Hammerstein, put Best Book back in the broadcast!)

The other thing is that, because the New York theater world is less accessible to the general public, aside from cast recordings and highlights footage, the stars are not universally recognized “STARS” in the way that movie stars are. So instead of the show relying on references to celebrities and nitpicking who wore what and came with who, it becomes about the art everyone is there to celebrate.

30. Erin B says:

3 – The Tonys are a wonderful award show. To me, the people there seem more genuine than TV & film actors. It really feels like more of a celebration of their craft instead of making nasty jokes, patting themselves on the back, & giving awards to those who campaigned the most. The performances are great too since a lot of people don’t make it to Broadway to see the shows. The Oscars has performances, but they don’t always have the singer from the movie perform in an effort to get bigger names or they skip the lesser known artists all together.

4 – For “Penny Dreadful” I am pretty disgusted by how easily Vanessa was swayed. I give Ethan a pass because I do not feel like he abandoned Vanessa. He felt terrible about Sembene & didn’t want to hurt anyone else. Also, he decided to end it by turning himself in so he had to walk away. He thought it was best for everyone for him to be locked up.

31. Ioanna Pap says:

#13 Oh I loved that kiss. Sensual and creepy and weird and bold and quite original and wonderfully kinky. And #17 – yes please for a Krystal-centred sitcom!

32. Ann says:

OITNB can survive without Piper. She is not vital to the show at this point

33. Summer says:

19 – Why not as the superpowered Lana Lang we got near the end of Smallville? Could be interesting.

34. Lexi says:

NO to KK on #19…. My pick Summer Glau

35. Jeanna says:

Would totally watch the Krystal spin off series! Especially if she brought along sestras Helena and Sarah to ‘show them the ropes’ and give them makeovers! Of course Mrs. S would watch the kids but occasionally would join them beacause she’s a total hoot! I’m assuming that Cosima and Delphine will be together (as long as they both make it) but they can certainly show up for parties as would Alison and Donny. Just not Rachel, she’s such a downer. Although that would be funny too. Everyone groans when she walks in! Sign me up!

36. kirads09 says:

#15 – I think as far as Anna Gunn. Some fans strongly felt she betrayed Walt in Breaking Bad. She has written/spoken about the hate she received personally directed at her. Perhaps they have a hard time casting her because of that. The are afraid people won’t like her or something. (which isn’t fair – fantastic actress!) I was sad to hear she didn’t take on Beyond Borders because it sounded like an interesting character.

#17 – I don’t necessarily want a Krystal sitcom. But as sad as I am that Orphan Black will be ending after S5, I cannot wait to see what Tatiana, Jordan Gavaris and the rest do for follow ups gigs. They are all so incredibly talented.

37. Me says:

I totally want a spinoff with the actress playing Krystal and the actresses playing Alison and Helena. Krystal and Alison would open a scented candles and cosmetics shop, while Donnie and Helena would run some underground medical marijuana traffic.Of course, Krystal would never acknowledge that Alison and Helena are her clones. And Felix should regularly appear as well, just because he’s awesome.