Video: Sen. Chris Murphy's Filibuster Ends With Powerful Sandy Hook Story

#HoldTheFloor.

That Game of Thrones-inspired hashtag became a Twitter trending topic on Wednesday, as Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), flanked by colleagues Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Cory Booker (D-N.J.), led a 15-hour filibuster on the Senate floor to force Republican leaders to allow votes on a pair of proposed gun-control bills.

Regardless of your feelings on “no fly, no buy” and tighter background checks for those who want to make purchases at gun shows — the two measures which Senate leaders have agreed to consider — the final seven minutes of Murphy’s speech are undeniably stirring, as he talks about Sandy Hook Elementary student Dylan Hockley and his teacher Anne Marie Murphy, both of whom were among the 26 people killed in the 2012 attack on that Newtown, Conn., school.

Murphy’s speech comes in the wake of last weekend’s horrific shooting at the gay nightclub Pulse, in Orlando, Fla., which left 49 people dead and another 50-plus injured in the largest mass-shooting in United States history.

Press PLAY above for the full seven-minute speech — and make sure you have some tissues handy.

1. Steven says:

I can’t believe this wasn’t passed immediately following Sandy Hook. We’re so quick to pull a tv show that might upset people, but god forbid we try to do something to stop it from happening again.

• David4 says:

Pulling the show was the right move. The right move is something the far right in this country don’t want to do. We need to get the NRA money out of politics or our country will fall apart faster and faster.

But if the slaughter of 20 little children and 6 of their teachers does nothing I doubt the slaughter of 49 gays will. You can’t spread ignorance and hatred as a platform one second and claim you care about them the next.

• Steven says:

I’m not just talking about The Last Ship. Episodes of Hannibal, Bones, and Buffy were postponed due to shootings in the past, but nothing was ever done to prevent these things from happening again. I still cannot believe 20 school children can be murdered and no one raises a finger to try to make changes.

• Angela says:

I saw an old episode of “Frontline” last night that dealt with the gun control debate. Apparently there were people trying to get something pushed through right after Sandy Hook-politicians and family members of the victims of that tragedy supported some legislation that would’ve started the ball rolling. A pro-gun Democratic politician had been trying to entice Republicans to show their support for the legislation.
          But then the NRA came in with their usual “Second Amendment rights!” cry, and the Republican Party continued its refusal to support anything that Obama was for, and they got their way in the end as a result, unfortunately. Even Gabby Giffords championing this legislation couldn’t be enough to sway those people.
          I really hope there’s some serious push back against those opposition groups this time. I’m sick and tired of them getting their way on this issue.

2. Sarah says:

Thank you for posting this. I was watching the final hours last night and it was riveting. And heart wrenching. Disgusted that so much of the media – including CNN – have all but ignored this. God forbid they make the filthy NRA angry. How dare anyone try to take semi-automatic weapons out of the hands of terrorists!

3. Brent says:

This isn’t a political/news site. I come here to avoid things like this. I’d say the same thing if there was a Trump speech posted.

I know I’m going to get flamed for this.

• Kevin In CT says:

I was about to make the same comment. Easy to see where this site’s “values” lie.

• laura says:

agree

• Steven says:

But this is a major story that happened on TV. So it makes sense to include something about it.

• Danyelle says:

That was my read too, it was a major event that was on tv last night (for those who know channels other than Bravo lol). I would actually wonder about Kevin’s “values” (with dramatic quote marks).

• I was gonna make this same point. They’re rarely overtly political at TVLine so if they wanted to share this just because it’s important, I’d be more than okay with that, but it certainly falls under the umbrella of an important TV event too.

• Mel says:

A political/news site?? Somehow I think that if it was your child/brother/sister/spouse/parent killed you might actually care. Then again probably not. Wake up!!

• Brent says:

Please don’t pretend like you know my situation. I’ve had a family member killed by a gun during a drug deal gone wrong. This is still not a political/news site. I’d rather see a Masterchef recap on a site called TVLine. That’s my opinion.

• Esmith says:

For the first time ever CSPAN was worth watching. CSPAN is part of TV. Also, if you’d rather watch Masterchef than actual REALITY/TV then please stay home this next election.

• Brent says:

So all we should watch is CSPAN if we are going to be allowed to vote? Right. That makes sense. Maybe you shouldn’t frequent a site that recaps silly tv shows, or you should stay home as well.

• I am sorry – this was on TV for 15 hours and CSPAN comes with Basic Cable.

• Mary says:

I think the headlines gave you the clue so maybe if you are not happy reading about current things happening on TV I might add, don’t click on the article. I for one am glad those three senators took action. Will it help – here hoping – but if nothing else I hope everyone voting keep in mind those Senators that refuse to even entertain the notion that something should be done. Won’t happen because majority are from the mid and Southern States that think guns make them brave little Men.

• LAwoman says:

It is called TVLine and CSPAN is on TV. The site isn’t dedicated to any one genre.

4. Debbie says:

Today the portion of the United States that doesn’t have NRA backing, who also believes in the true spirit of the constitution, has three new heroes.

• grazelled says:

The reality though is that gun sales rocket each time the President or anyone talks about gun control after these horrific events. Although people may agree in theory and find these scenes filibuster scenes inspiring many then go out and buy guns. It seems people are both scared of getting shot and not being able to buy a gun to defend themselves but it has nothing to do with the NRA. Just plain old fear.

5. Chris Murphy is someone Connecticut can be proud of and believe in – unlike our horrible, bent on ruining the state, Governor – nice work Senator – keep up the good fight.

6. David4 says:

I already got an auto phone call about how we need to stand up to our second amendment rights! Tell Warren what side you are on! Stand up for freedom! Blah blah blah!

So I’m writing an email to her right now saying I support whatever the hell she wants to ban.

7. Angela says:

Damn. That story. That image. Anne Marie Murphy is the definition of a hero.
    I seriously hope these sorts of haunting stories and tragedies sink in for the anti-gun control crowd, the NRA, at long last. We have to do something. We cannot go through this nightmare again. We just can’t. Please, PLEASE let this finally start bringing about the change our country desperately needs on this issue.
    Powerful stuff. Much appreciation for those three men taking the time to stress the importance of this issue.

8. Bark Star says:

Congratulations America for finally growing a brain. Lets see what you do with it.

9. DL says:

A heroic effort to avert another tragedy. Really hope Republicans listen. What the pro-gun crowd doesn’t seem to realize is that the 2nd Amendment allows for guns in the event of a need to form a militia — that’s all. Only in 2008 with District of Columbia v. Heller did SCOTUS decide that the individual right to bear arms is actually a thing, and even Justice Scalia himself (R.I.P.) noted that this did not mean there could no regulations.
    Republicans often claim that they fight to adhere to the letter of the Constitution. Well, under the 2nd Amendment and the Heller decision, individuals can bear arms under the umbrella of a potential need for a citizen militia, period. But NO militia as understood by the Founding Fathers would EVER accept the dangerously violent, mentally deranged, or potential enemy combatants. There’s simply no argument to be made otherwise, in my opinion.
    Under the 2nd Amendment and the Heller decision, there are also no provisions for some sort of time limit by which any citizen MUST receive a gun they wish to purchase, or else their rights have been violated. So again, no rationale, Constitutionally-speaking, for not having a waiting period for background checks or to fully investigate someone on a watch list in all instances.
    Instead of taking sound bites at face value, people actually need to study these issues, educate themselves! Because what’s being sold to conservative constituents is not the truth!