TV Show Endings

Castle, Revenge, Glee and 17 Other Shows That Simply Ran Too Long

“It was still a good show, but I wish it had ended a season or two earlier. “

If you’ve ever uttered a sentence like that — and we suspect you have, since TVLine readers are known for their astute critical judgment — then you’ll probably be able to relate to at least a few of the 20 shows we’re examining today.

The truth is, even some of our all-time favorite series are guilty of running out of gas before reaching the finish line, forcing out final seasons — or multiple final seasons, in some cases — long after they’ve jumped the shark. (Don’t worry, Happy Days is among our choices.)

Oh, how we wish Buffy the Vampire Slayer had never introduced the “next generation” of slayerettes. Or that Castle had ended with a green screen-free wedding in the Hamptons. And don’t even get us started on the post-Derulo era of So You Think You Can Dance.

Click through our gallery of 20 shows that overstayed their (creative) welcome below, then drop a comment with some of your own picks: Which shows should have quit while they were ahead? And would you have ended any of our choices sooner?

1. Years later, Jackie/Fez still makes no sense and the series should have ended with Jackie/Hyde together (which Danny Masterson agrees with). They were perfect for each other.

• Jane says:

Totally! As if Jackie/Fez wasn’t bad enough they had to throw in Hyde’s stripper wife. She’s one of the main reasons that final season is so hard to watch.

2. sharminina says:

No not Castle,I still wish it could run for at least 9 seasons,provided they got some good writers :D

• I'm done with this **** says:

It wouldn’t have been Castle, it would have been the worst version of a spin-off you could ever have imagined.

• Elhar says:

LOL, you know that this is true to all of the shows on this list?

Castle and the other shows became the empty hulks of their former selves just because there were NO good writers.

• georgee says:

Yes this show could of went on for a long time, if only they would of had show runners that listened to what the fans wanted. They should have made changes after 8/2, what went on too long was the BS story line. And maybe if ABC Corp HR dept would of stepped in and worked a little harder helping the two leads get over the on set problems they had we still could have the best show ABC had. What a story good writers could have done with the missing 7 years. Nics has been around as long as it has because they never have gotten too far away from the story line. Season 8 of Castle the show runners got too far away. And who got hurt the most is the fans (customers) of the show. But ABC just ran out of money to pay Stana Katic.

3. Murica! says:

Charmed’s final season was really terrible.

Dexter should have ended much sooner. The last couple of seasons are horrible.

• Steven says:

I remember being so scared The WB was going to cancel Charmed after the 7th season, but I was so disappointed by that final season, which had maybe 2 or 3 good episodes. I do wish The WB had ended the show a season earlier. Something Wicca This Way Goes would have been a great way to go out.

• Marco says:

Not as bad as season 6.

4. Mez says:

One tree Hill should be on this list. One of my favourite shows in its prime… then went super ridiculous (clays stalker which looked exactly like his dead wife, anyone?)

• Bwhit says:

Or Clay’s son he suddenly remembered, Nathan getting kidnapped or a dog running away with Dan’s new heart lol! I have very fond memories of that show but it limped to the finished.

• Amber says:

Yas! The only good thing about OTH going beyond season 6 (season 4 really) was seeing Brooke get her happy ending that she so deserved.

• Bwhit says:

^^^ this, seeing Brooke finally get the family and life she never had growing up, was the best part of the later seasons.

• Dude says:

Yes! Season Four is definitely where it should have ended. Aside from Brooke’s fantastic evolution as a character, the adult years were mostly garbage.

• Jec says:

Yes agreed! While the show was never really brilliant, it should’ve ended after season 4. It wasn’t that good in season 5 and 6 and it got downright awful after season 6.

• maayanelson says:

One Tree Hill was the first show that came to my mind after reading the title of the article. I could not watch this show after it’s 6th season. It was just so bad!!!! i think season 6th finale was the perfect way to end this great show

5. NN says:

I refuse to acknowledge that there was a 7th Heaven past season 10.

6. Dick Whitman says:

HDU Season 5 of Angel was great!!

• Michael Littlefield says:

Agreed. And “You’re Welcome”, the show can’t end without one last word from the original bitch of Sunnydale. Never liked how Fred ended, but otherwise I found it a compelling final season.

• rinaex says:

Absolutely. I loved Season 5.

7. ekolint48 says:

I could not disagree with you more on Angel. The problem was the cancellation that deprived us of future seasons where the team could have mastered or navigated through the land mine that was Wolfram & Hart. It was good up until the end regardless. But agree on TB, Good Wife (still annoyed w/ the terrible finale), gave up on Weeds at the start of s7.

• ekolint48 says:

Also Charmed’s last season wasted on the wrong sisters and Dexter should have ended earlier as well, though I think the last 2 seasons were the most egregious.

• Jimmy says:

Angel went off the tracks when they dumped Charisma Carpenter and turned Amy Acker into an over-sized Smurf. Fix those and I think season 5 could have been something good.

8. Joe says:

How dare you put angel on this list! Season 5 was fantastic!

9. Lucky says:

I disagree with Angel being on this list. Season 5 produced some of the best episodes of the show. It was a brilliant choice to have the gang run Wolfram & Hart, and the added moral ambiguity only helped make the season more compelling.

10. David4 says:

I agree with most of them. However I completely disagree with season 8 of House. It was a vast improvement over the few seasons before it, moved the story and characters forward and just felt like a natural ending to the show.

11. Adrián says:

Angel didn`t run for too long. Maybe Weeds did a Little bit (8 seasons seemed too much for almost every show), but with the exception of season 6, I love every year of that show and how it reinvented itself every now and then.

12. jj says:

Charmed’s final season wasn’t great, but the final episode made up for it. I completely agree with Revenge. It had a great first season and progressively worse. That would apply to Heroes too.

• lori says:

I completely agree about Charmed. I loved the actual ending.

The Good Wife should have ended when Josh Charles left.

• Leah says:

Totally agree about Charmed. I just pretend that most of S8 didn’t happen, and just skip to the last episode of the series.

• KT says:

Yeah! Heroes should be on this list. I can’t believe how many shows on this list were ones I had to quit watching because they just go so horrible (Glee, Angel, The Good Wife, How I Met Your Mother, Melrose Place, etc.). I quit Heroes mid season 3. I can’t believe it went through 4 seasons. It should have been a limited series event.

• HQ says:

Agreed on charmed! The finale is one of my favorite series finales of all time! Also, I still think season 8 is better than the nonsense of the avatars in season 7 so I’m glad they got one more season to make up for that mess.

13. Charmed: I’m inthe minority that liked s8& I thought it was much better thans6&7
    7the Heaven: yes s11 was horrible but it started Decling in quality after s5 or so when Matt,Msry,Simon left and stopped being about life lessons and family values and became about characters none liked and stupid plotlines .p
    Buffy:s7 was good.S6 mostly was awful expect for “Once More WithFeeling”

14. Kara says:

Might as well go ahead and add Bones to the list.

• Lilacice says:

Yep, waaaaay too long. Used to love it, now put it on as white noise, can barely make it through an episode without having another task going on.

• Sally O'Malley says:

I would agree with that. In my mind, Bones should’ve ended after S6 + the wedding episode. However, I do think that the Michael Peterson and the new writing staff has brought a little life back to Bones this season and it’s decent again. I just refuse to acknowledge that the Stephen Nathan seasons exist.

• kmw says:

Bones even with Nathan in charge was doing just fine until last year then for some odd reason he decided Booth and Brennan weren’t the reason people watched the show and tried to re make it. But I do see your point, Nathan is most likely the reason Hannah existed and if he stayed in charge he no doubt would have tried split Booth and Brennan for good. Thank god he moved on and Peterson took charge this season is so much better. Despite my dislike for Nathan there is still plenty of good in those seasons and therefore I don’t believe Bones belongs on this list ( David and Emily are too good together to make me leave it because of its producer from hell) Lets also be honest the only reason Bones is still on the air is because it is FOX’S ” cash cow” not because FOX adores it or thinks it is still creatively strong

• Kia says:

you’re kidding right? Hannah was mostly Hart Hanson’s doing – and I don’t mean that in a rude way, but he was the one who was fully in charge of S6 (and anyway, in the end that was Fox’ fault because Hart wanted B&B to get together sooner, but they asked him to wait one more season, there really was no other way than to have one of them have a relationship, there was no other reason to wait another year, and in the end, Hannah’s presence did turn out to be helpful to B&B’s relationship IMO). I wouldn’t blame Nathan for that at all. And to say he would have tried to split B&B for good is rather silly, neither Hart nor Nathan would do it. They’ve both said many times that’s something they would never do. I also don’t think Nathan just decided B&B weren’t the reason people watched the show. Season 10 might have not been extra heavy about B&B but it was still about them a lot.

Either way, people will always think any show that has 5 seasons and up “ran too long” but hey, there are people who still enjoy Bones, millions of them all over the world, so…

• It’s less about thinking B&B aren’t why people watch and more about lightening the work load on Emily & David. I think it’s nice to see some of the other characters get major storylines while B&B kind of fall to the side. It’s obviously still their show.

• Kia says:

can you just let Bones alone? omg

15. Rob says:

I think Community went too long and I hate to say it but TBBT has reached its conclusion.

16. TvLover says:

Hah! Pretty funny how I thought Castle would end just as unsatisfactorily as How I met your mother.
    And for myself at least, it did. Neither shows need those final seasons, I felt. HIMYM was just plain pointless, and the ending not that great.
    Castle, I would have been fine with the seventh season finale, or even the sixth, and let them have a nice wedding with Beckett wearing her moms dress.
    And Glee . . . Oh glee. This show jumped the shark after season one for me, and never recovered. Each episode just got more and more random as the seasons progressed, as did the characters. Honestly I’m amazed it managed to stay on air during its final season, because the ratings tanked.

• Maria says:

Absolutely agree on Castle. Johanna Beckett’s dress was gorgeous and the writers really messed up by ruining the chance for Kate to wear it.

17. Although the overall story of The Good Wife in the last seasons was not perfect, the amazing mastery the Kings (and their writers team) have achieved in the latter seasons was a joy to watch, every week (until the penultimate episode) . I hope the spin-off will pass the bar (pun intended).

18. Me says:

I could have watched 10 more seasons of the Good Wife. Even the worst TGW episode is better than 99,9% of anything else on TV. And I’m looking forward to the spinoff too!!

As for Castle, I’ll always wonder what the show would have looked like if the leads hadn’t hated each other. If the show had to end before things went downwards, I would have ended it mid-season 5, around “Murder he Wrote”.

19. Angel Season 5 was so good – so I disagree there! And while S7 had some weak moments, I still think the final 2 seasons are great and I love Chosen. The Gift was beautiful, but I want Buffy alive. She deserved to live a normal life after everything…that smile in Chosen is perfect.

And while I agree The Good Wife wasn’t as good the final 2 years, I always really enjoyed it and I would have hated if it ended after the amazing S5 suddenly.

My biggest beef is with One Tree Hill. Should have ended in S4, maybe S5…going on until S9 is a joke and I used to love that show more than any other TV series. 421, them on the Rivercourt, is my ending.

20. Rebecca says:

Supernatural needs to go.

• Playhouse says:

I was just going to add my comment that SPN needs to finally put itself to rest. Some could argue that the show has gone on 6 (now coming on 7) seasons too long.

It’s not that some of the episodes aren’t fun. But they’ve been spinning their wheels on the same storyline for years now.

Time to let it go.

• wrstlgirl says:

Agreed.

• Marci says:

I stopped watching Supernatural two seasons ago. I wish they had stuck with Eric Kripke’s original five-season plan.

21. Kaalyn says:

While I understand the sentiment with Buffy, episodes like Once More With Feeling and Conversations With Dead People were worth the overall quality drop during the Marti Noxon years.

Most people consider Season 5 of Angel to be the series’ best, so I’m legit surprised to see it here.

• heather says:

Depends who you ask, a lot of Angel fans hated the way Charisma was treated and ungraciously sacked & really don’t like S5. She was a huge part of Angel, so for me watching S5 was like watching a different show, which I didn’t sign up for…Best season was S2 & 3 with Tim Minear & David Greenwalt at the helm, they really got “Angel” imo

• Sara says:

Considering a lot of people on here are posting their love of Season 5, I’d say you are in the minority. Season 4 was a trainwreck and the Cordelia situation was garbage, but Season 5 felt invigorated creatively.

• heather says:

A few comments left at tvline does not make a majority or minority as a whole, it is only relevant to this site.

Like I said it depends on who you ask, I speak from actually watching Angel when it aired and remembering the backlash of Charisma getting fired and subsquent POV of S5 – it was polarising

(The same for Buffy S6 & S7, when aired these seasons were very polarising & generally pulled apart, esp S6)

• trj says:

Pretty much everyone I know hates season 5, for the reasons you state. There is pretty much nothing that can incite rage among my friends list as mentioning the crappy sendoff Cordelia received, particularly when juxtaposed with the many episodes that were then alomst immediately spent mourning Fred, a character that was a ridiculous Mary Sue. And having them take over Wolfram & Hart . . . just, no. Everything good about the show was burned away by that plotline. But I will give you puppet!Angel. I’m shocked at all the support it’s receiving in this forum, I didn’t think that season was loved in the fandom at all.

With respect to Buffy, I have sympathy for the argument that it should have ended with The Gift, and I’m no fan of season 7 at all. But I wouldn’t trade OMWF for anything, even if we had to take the horror that was Seeing Red along with it.

• anon says:

IKR?! Cordy who had been with the verse since Buffy S1 didn’t even get mourned or noted by her friends that she had died until it was in relation to Fred’s dying/death in ep 15 or 16 and a nod in the series final….wth

And let’s not even mention how Charisma was practically tricked into doing ep 100 under the promise that she would not be killed off and we we all know how that turned out. Disgraceful goings on.

Angel is lucky that it wasn’t airing now with social media, they would be flamed; the writers & Joss/co would be held accountable in relation to Cordy/Charisma, PLUS killing off two major female characters in the space of 5 eps….

Angel & Cordy were the heart & soul of “Angel” take away one and it was hitting self destruct….and adding Spike, Harmony, Andrew, did not make up for it – the show was called Angel, it had its own mythology & characters its didn’t need half of Sunnydale encroaching all over it. Ugh.

22. Lilacice says:

‘The Gift’ would have been an amazing and fitting series finale for Buffy, but been rewatching season 6 and it was so brilliant in so many ways I can’t imagine not having that.

The idea of the Slayerettes was brilliant, and I think central to the theme (subtly present from S1) of this one girl essentially being used by weak men to solve the world’s problems, challenging and ultimately subverting all the rules to empower other women to defend themselves and others and to share in each other’s power – potentially (no pun intended) awesome.

But the execution was sooooo bad.
    1. After Buffy finding hope at the end of S6 where admittedly she’d been a total, albeit understandable, misery, they didn’t even give her chance to get back to her old quippy self! Perhaps she’d been through too much in S5 and S6 to ever be so light again, but she worked through all of that, and it was hard won, so it doesn’t make sense that the writers completely took away the personality we fell in love with.
    2. The Slayerettes pacing was terrible, so many episodes of them in the house, taking up space and multiplying everything we hated about Dawn- why? At least Dawn we knew and understood by why would we care about these girls – especially ones as heinous as Kennedy? How could these writers who basically mastered the best way to handle narrative arcs on TV do such a poor job?
    3. The Mutiny – makes me furious still to even think about it.

Still, Chosen, while not as strong as the other season enders (can a series finale ever really be?) was a great ending, the Slayerette conclusion really is where this show had been heading from day 1 even if it wasn’t handled well throughout the season, it was a fitting resolution to many of the issues raised by the show. And the scene mirroring the pilot with the core four, and Buffy’s hopeful face at the end, still get me each time.

• Gee says:

Yes and Buffy’s speech at the end was soooo great that just for that I would not put Buffy on this list .”From now on, every girl in the world who might be a Slayer, will be a Slayer. Every girl who could have the power, will have the power. Can stand up, will stand up. Slayers, every one of us. Make your choice. Are you ready to be strong?”
      Plus the little girl at bat! Gets me every time. I”m tearing up just typing it!

• Michael Littlefield says:

And somewhere in the middle of all of it was one of Buffy’s best speeches. In her dining room as they all sit around the table talking behind her back. And she lays it out for them as bluntly as can be. “They want an apacolypse…oh, we’ll give em one”. Gives me chills every time.

23. Bella says:

I wish Medium has finished at the end of season 6, with everyone happy and hopeful. Season 7 was cut short, saw half the characters have complete personality transplants, and then of course in the end they killed Joe (The whole family is psychic! It made no sense!) and left Alison alone forever.

In short, it sucked.

24. Lukáš Novotný says:

Seems kinda harsh to me. Final seasons of Angel, Buffy and Weeds are true diamonds for me.

25. I’d add The West Wing to the list. Season 7 was terrible.

Castle should have ended better not necessarily earlier. Same goes with Dexter.

Scrubs season 9 was embarrassing.

I think it would have been weird if The Good Wife had ended when Will died.

• West Wing without the general election campaign? Not really possible. 4 (Sorkin/Schlamme) or 7, no alternative. On the other hand its Nordic brethren Borgen had a perfect two season arc. The third season was a (ruptured) appendix.

26. Lilacice says:

Would add Lost – not sure when it should have ended but any point before the disastrous finale would have been great.
    Also Heroes- how it eeked out another 3 seasons and a reboot – the mind boggles.
    And my fave but I’ll say it – Veronica Mars, S3 felt like another show. I agree there was more story to tell and movie was ok, and of course transitioning from school to college on to TV is always a nightmare. But the first two seasons are a perfect complementary set, S3 is just kinda on its own. Not bad but weakened rather than strengthened overall series. Maybe a season 4 would’ve fixed it?

• Phil says:

I was waiting for someone to say LOST, but I disagree… I still miss that show!

• Lisa Brining says:

The network was the one that messed with Veronica Mars – they insisted on shorter arcs instead of one season long mystery – I believe that is also when it went from UPN (if I remember correctly) to CW – I believe Rob Thomas has been quite vocal about this

• Michael Littlefield says:

It didn’t go from UPN to the CW. The WB and UPN merged and created the CW. And I think they cut the longer arc into 3rds. I didn’t hate it but it definitely wasn’t as effective.

27. Bwhit says:

You guys are coming up with some really great lists this week. Dexter and Weeds were just embarrassing at the end both probably could have ended at the max after season 5. Not on this list but on mine, are One Tree Hill and ER, both were great in their prime but just lasted a little too long. I still cannot fathom why on Earth Jackie ended up with Fez….. Um it most definetly should have been Hyde.

28. Joe Black says:

There were a few good episodes in season 7 of Castle, none whatsoever in season 8.

May be they should have the wedding in the Hamptons at the end of season 6. Following by a shortened season 7, say 10-episodes(same as season 1). Have some Happy Ever After episodes and solve a few more cases, then have one episode that are “kids focus” , then wrap it up.

29. Joey says:

The problem with Angel isn’t that it lasted too long, it’s that it didn’t last long enough.

30. SJ says:

Ally McBeal and The Practice both should have ended a season before they actually did. Massive budget cuts & ensuing cast turnover were huge turn offs for me. Ally, though, had one of the best series finales ever so I can’t really be that mad. Same goes for Charmed. That final season was a dumpster fire, but the finale more than made up for it.

As for The Good Wife, I feel like if S6 and S7 were condensed into one 22-episode season, with the best parts of each weaker season included, it would have made for enjoyable viewing. I still don’t hate S6 as most fans seem to, but S7 just left me very cold toward the show.

• Steven says:

Bringing James Spader into The Practice and turning it into a comedy really upset me. I loved the dark, morally gray feeling of the show.

• SJ says:

I could also add Brothers & Sisters to the list, although if they had just made season 5 with 13 episodes instead of 22 and made the final episode a definite series finale (which, coincidentally, would have been episode 100) I wouldn’t have had a problem with it.

All of these series, incidentally – Ally McBeal, Charmed, Good Wife, Practice and B&S – are my favorite dramas of all time.

31. I read this article even though it hurt my feelings that Angel was listed here. I could have watched that show for another 10 seasons. Maybe more :)

32. sunshine says:

Top of the list is Revenge. She got everything she needed to destroy the enemy and tossed in the ocean so we could have another season. Nothing has ever been so bad as that.

33. Steven says:

I’d add Alias to this list. I loved the first 3 seasons or so, but it became ridiculous to keep track of who was good and who was bad. Sloane changed sides too many times to count.

34. JP says:

Buffy and Angel were too short not too long.

35. wrstlgirl says:

Desperate Housewives (sorry if already mentioned, I didn’t see it)

36. Anna says:

I know Revenge wasn’t perfect (not by a very, very long shot), but I’m still happy that we got so many good episodes (let’s just forget the bad ones), as well as the gift that was Nolan Ross. Still holding out for a Nolan-centric spinoff… maybe… someday… that could be great.

• Ashley says:

Agreed. I knew it was time to go, but I still miss it. And I’d still be watching if it was on now.

• sarah t says:

I actually had to stop watching Revenge after S3, it just got too convoluted. I think it would have worked much better as mini series (or maybe like they do on cable and make each season shorter).
      Same reason I agree about Glee and Awkward. Both of these take actors that are well into their 20’s playing high school students and then by the time they graduate, they look nothing like what they used to. That, in addition to weak story lines and the same ol’, same ol’ makes them unwatchable.
      I think the problem with a lot of TV shows anymore is that networks are either one extreme or the other: too quick to pull the plug on a show that needs to find it’s audience or letting a show drag on just because it has a sizeable audience and they can make some money off of it. Gone are the days of “we’re going out on top” shows like Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, Dick Van Dyke,etc. Sometimes, these shows just run out of juice and rather than leave fans wanting a bit more, they’d rather run it into the ground.

37. Daphne says:

I’d add to that list Ally McBeal which should have ended with Ally going to join Robert Downey Jr’s Larry and his kid. That last season with her long lost daughter and Jon Bon Jovi was just a disaster. I’d also include Heroes on this list, it really should have only been one (brilliant) season. Oh and Mad Men, that last season was just so bad. Thank goodness for Peggy (and that badass scene when she walks into her new job) because I could care less about Don Draper by the time the show ended.

• Jasmin says:

Ally McBeal yes, so right! I completely forgot about how totally lame season 5 was! It’s because I only ever rewatch until before the end of season 4 (before Larry leaves) and then curse Robert Downey Jr for getting arrested thus screwing up the story.

38. BM says:

I don’t think Castle needed to end after S6. It just needed a different S6 finale. That would have saved us from several stories, too…

• RecoveringCastleAddict says:

Agreed!! They should of gotten married, and then kidnapped him after the wedding. Then they couldve focused the final seasons on castles dissapearance, and left out the lokcrap stuff. Even Fillion would’ve gotten what he wanted that way. Win win all around.

39. Some people think FOX’s Bones has been on to long and should have ended by season 9 or 10. It has been renewed for its 12 and final season.

I think CBS’s Two and Half Men went on too long. It should have ended a few years earlier when the teen boy left the show.

40. skrable2 says:

One I’d add to the list is Mad About You. If they ended on the birth of the baby, it would go out on a high note. Instead we got a stripped down cast, ridiculous storylines and a “documentary” finale that made absolutely no sense.

41. Cate says:

How has no one mentioned The X Files? As much as I like Annabeth Gish, seasons 8&9 were definitely a downhill slump. Should have stopped after season 7

Thank you for the Angel mention! I know many say they love S5 but for me adding Spike and Wolfram and Hart and subtracting Cordelia changed it to a show I didn’t like as much

• anon says:

Same, even the new xfiles just wasn’t my cup of tea, at all. Narrative & acting wise it just fell short.

Ditto on Angel. I detested Spike on Angel, DETESTED. Cordy and Angel were fantastic as a team, helping the helpless, they lost her they lost Angel’s mission. Lawd, it still makes me salty, lol.

42. Dominique says:

while i was absolutely thrilled charmed got another season, i agree that it was a mess. billie is one the most terrible characters to have ever graced tv, they had to get rid of leo/brian krause in order to keep her, and all of it was done to give the three main actresses some “much needed rest”. as much as i hated the season 7 finale, i think they should’ve stopped there.
    i disagree about buffy though. i loved the 7th season, and The First. the potentials and the scoobie gang turning their back on buffy not so much. but i loved everything else.

43. Alichat says:

Got to disagree on the Buffy and Angel mention, but I agree with Castle and Revenge.

44. Jess says:

Glee should have ended after the 3rd season not the fifth

• Dude says:

Yes, that season three finale was about as perfect as Glee ever got. The season four premier was pretty awesome as well but everything after that was downhill.

45. Nicole says:

I’d add Alias and Smallville. I loved Alias, but every time I go to re-watch it, I can never get through Season 4. The end of Season 3 where Sydney and Vaughn reunite would have been a perfect ending. Smallville went on for way too long as well. I stopped watching after Season 6, I think. Especially after main characters such as Lana and Lex were gone, it was not as interesting.

• Pedro says:

You missed the best Smallville seasons. 9, 10 ad 8.

• Win says:

I have been struggling with finishing Alias for about 5 years now. I’m somewhere in the end stretch of season 4 and i can’t being myself to finish. The first 3 seasons I was so in love I raced through them…and I haven’t been able to finish season 4 over the course of five years….

46. peterwdawson says:

Eh, I was fine with Season 7 of Castle overall, though yeah, the abduction before his wedding and the first, oh, six episodes of that season were not great to say the least. Still before that season ended we got a lot of fun episodes, and the wrap-up worked as a fine ‘adventure continues’ finale. Season 8 does not exist though.

47. BB says:

I appreciate the mention of Angel. I honestly do not understand the love that season 5 receives. Sure, there were some great episodes through out the season, but the show became a shell of what it once was. I hated the fact that Cordelia was shafted. Her character was a huge part of the show. Her and Angel’s relationship grew into something beautiful and deserved to be further explored. Spike’s heroic death from the end of Buffy should have stuck. Fred turning into Illyria still to this day makes me angry. I grew to love Fred and to have her just dissipate did not sit well with me. Overall, I’m not a fan of the final season of Angel.

48. Mac says:

I was going to say The X-Files because seasons 8 and 9 were such a hot mess, but though it has flaws, I’m still really happy we got a season 10 so maybe that one’s a wash.

I disagree about Buffy. I wouldn’t have wanted the show to end with Buffy dead and I actually like some aspects of season 6 and 7 as much or more than what came before and I think Chosen was a very fitting end.

As for Angel, I think if you’re going to cut it short it should have been after season 3. You really need season 5 to clean up after the disaster that was season 4. I could have done without ooc Spike and Fred’s death though…

49. michael says:

Castle started to run out of gas staring season 5. I bailed during season 7. When it comes to Dexter season 5-8. Season 5 i don’t think is as bad as people say it is. Yes its a step down but i enjoyed the flawed season. Season 6 sadly rehashed stuff from season 4 and its the worst season overall. Season 7 didn’t start off well but got better as the season went along. Season 8 is in reverse where is started off really good then in went downhill quickly.

50. Pamela says:

Some of these series didn’t go on too long it’s just that the writing went downhill.