Fall TV Preview
Anna Gunn Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Enlists Breaking Bad Emmy Winner Anna Gunn for Season 2

There are shades of Walter White in Anna Gunn‘s new role.

The two-time Breaking Bad Emmy winner is joining Shades of Blue Season 2 as a dirty cop-turned-Machiavellian politician, TVLine has learned.

The official description for her yet-to-be-named character is as follows: “A city Councilwoman on the rise and primed for a run at the Mayor’s office, she’s the former protégée of Wozniak (Ray Liotta) who used to be part of Harlee’s (Jennifer Lopez) dirty crew of cops. She’s a chameleon who rose up the ranks of the NYPD to Captain and then launched a political career fueled by her charisma and the fact that she is as comfortable at a blue-collar bar as she is at the Governor’s mansion. As the season progresses, the details of her meteoric rise and her much darker and Machiavellian side comes to the fore.”

Gunn’s post Breaking Bad credits include guest stints on The Mindy Project and Portlandia, as well as a starring role in Fox’s one-and-done murder mystery Gracepoint.

Production on Shades of Blue‘s second season begins today in New York.

1. Kevin K says:

Very happy to see Anna Gunn back on TV. She was outstanding during her incredible run on Breaking Bad.

2. amy says:

so happy to hear about this! she was the only reason i was going to watch criminal minds: beyond borders, and i was gutted when her character was cut. this is going to be so interesting!

3. Joey Padron says:

Sounds like a good role for her on the show. Happy to have her back on tv again!

4. MMD says:

Thrilled to see Anna Gunn back on tv again. She was great in Breaking Bad.

Just as an aside, I had a hell of a time gearing myself up to watch Shades of Blue which I had been diligently dvr-ing because I couldn’t get past Jennifer Lopez in a serious role. I love Ray Liotta but figured once I started watching it would get cancelled. I got much more enthusiastic once I heard it had been renewed but still hadn’t watched an episode.

Well it turns out I’m the twit who let her preconceived notions almost keep her from a show I really enjoyed. I binged the entire season and at the end I was looking at the tv and saying damn, you mean I have to wait until after Christmas for the 2nd season!!!! So for anyone who hasn’t watched this show because of the JLo skepticism, learn from this twit’s mistake. I felt she really brought her A game.

• Devil says:

You’re right. I almost didn’t watch at air time because I also couldn’t get past JLo in a serious role. But I love Ray Liotta so I watched and I was hooked from the very first episode. Ray Liotta of course is great, but so is JLo.

5. Dawn Paolella says:

SHADES OF BLUE!!! CAN’T WAIT!!! WHEN????

6. Dawn Paolella says:

SHADES OF BLUE!! WHERE ARE YOU?? CAN’T WAIT!!