Big Brother 18 Controversy

Big Brother 18 Controversy: Houseguest Corey Brooks Busted for Anti-Gay Slurs

Big Brother 18 won’t even kick off for another two weeks, but already, one its cast members has sparked controversy: In 2011 and 2012, Corey Brooks made a habit of throwing around anti-gay slurs on social media, Reality Blurred reports.

In one Twitter post, the now-25-year-old baseball coach tweeted: “You would know about taking it the hard way. F–.” In another, he called The Notebook “the greatest movie of all time” and added that he didn’t care if his opinion made you “think I’m a f—–.”

Brooks’ posts are tame compared to incendiary comments made during two-time Big Brother contestant Jeff Schroeder’s runs on the show (which prompted CBS to issue a statement saying that his opinions did not represent those of the network or producers). But the question is, particularly in light of Orlando, what should be Big Brother’s response to Brooks’ P.O.V.?

What do you think? Should he be booted? Censored? Hit the comments.

1. Sam says:

As an LGBT individual, I don’t care that much. There’s a lot of distance between saying something stupid online and committing a violent act. I’ve had Facebook friends that use this kind of language and I just brush it off, so I’m not too offended by some meathead reality show contestant.

Also it was four years ago. That word was a lot more popular among jocks at that time.

• Jake says:

For what it’s worth, you shouldn’t have to brush off Facebook “friends” using hate speech on social media.
      That said, everyone on this show is an idiot so who cares.

2. Joel Maurice says:

As a gay man I feel these comments were made in 2011 and 2012, he was 20 to 21. He was talking like someone of that age. It is not hate speech or targeted at gays he is talking like an early college student who hasn’t learned the wider world yet. I don’t think that either party needs to take a stance on these tweets

3. Bryce says:

They loved despite his homophobia and clear bully attitude toward all players in general, so I doubt it’ll change anything. Should it? Not for me to say.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Makes me think they purposely picked him in order to create conflict in the house. Surely they do some research on these people before they contract them on their show.

• lechatnoir says:

But they always pick characters and looks first. Hence there is rarely more than one spot for people of colour. And even then they need a specific flavour our douche. This bloke is the male a aaryan . You remember her.

5. Winter says:

I mean honestly they found 2 things from 4 and 5 years ago doesn’t seem like that big a deal. If they were from the past year or so I would be concerned but not so much with this. I’m sure we can look forward to him learning all about the struggles of LGBT people and becoming a better person or you know being a total monster. That’s the show.

6. Lily says:

What average, straight man hasn’t used those words? Not nice, but it doesn’t make him evil.

7. Alyson says:

I feel like this happens every year? If they are that worried about it, maybe they should start checking people’s social media BEFORE recruiting/casting them.

8. I never knew about Jeff S’s anti-gay comments on the show. Can someone explain to me how he has become so popular and highly-ranked in the BB community??

• Christian says:

You never knew about Jeff’s anti-gay comments because they never made the show. It was actually worse– he essentially equated homosexuality with pedophilia during a heated debate with Kalia on season 13 about a homosexual character in Harry Potter (I’ve never seen or read HP so I can’t recall the character’s name). Since he’s a fan favorite, of course the producers protected him by keeping it off the show. I was a fan of his and now he repulses me.

9. JB says:

You couldn’t pay me to watch this awful show, and this is just one more reason why.

10. Luke says:

Big Brother premieres in one week, not two.

11. Cas says:

Lol. I don’t even think his comments are that bad. Everyone always gets offended so easily. He was a young dumb kid then. I am sure I have said some terrible things in my life that I hope people won’t hold against me.

12. Geo says:

Considering their track record, it’s likely Big Brother picked him BECAUSE of such comments. It’s gotten pretty obvious that the show has no problem with using racism, homophobia, and other bigotries to stir up controversy and generate ratings. They could screen their contestants much more effectively if they wanted to, but they don’t. Big Brother is a vile show run by disgusting showrunners. If this season ends up with some contemptible generated “controversy” about homophobia in the same season that the Orlando shootings took place, I hope Big Brother’s showrunners are fired and the show is driven off the air.

13. Mr. Smith says:

Who cares? If that is his opinion, so be it. Stop with the politically correct BS.

14. ScottJ says:

The only guys I know who use that word are in fact gay. And they use it more as a term of endearment than one of abuse.

• James says:

Then you’re lucky, I’ve had it screamed out of cars at me, been called it before being spat at in my face and had it written on my school books and homework when I was younger. Words have more power than you think, and it’s clear it’s not a youthful indiscretion, those instances on Twitter he meant to imply gay people were less than or not as good. Let him be on the show, let hims say what he wants, but don’t justify it as OK.

15. SeanP says:

19, 20, 21 years old? Young & stupid are the descriptors that immediately come to mind. I’m sure he’s done a lot of growing up since then and will do a ton more in next few years. The problem is that in our new social media/Internet age, all our youthful indiscretions and poor decisions are preserved forever. Thankfully, that’s not the case for us Gen X’ers. It’s an ugly word, no question, but we need to be willing to give second chances.

16. Lyle Dunn says:

Screw this PC crap… Regardless you are entitled to your opinion… The first Amendment states clearly clearly…freedom of speech

17. melissa says:

They shouldnt be any anti gay remarks.sounds like B.B.wants the ratings so they have someone say something that will stir up the viewers.it’s like the Bachelor (ette).l haven’t watched lve heard.people just laying around for 3mos getting paranoid .well?

18. Jay says:

As a gay male, I said a lot of stupid stuff about the LGBTQ while I was closeted in ’11~’12. I used the D— word, the F– word, every offensive word to the LGBTQ.
    I understand why he would say that because like him, I was ignorant in those years. Around that time, it was funny and “cool” to say those words with friends and social media. I thought it made me look tough.

P.S. – I’m not saying Corey is gay, I’m just saying from experience.

19. dolores says:

why do you care what this idiot says, his head comes to a point!