Ann Morgan Guilbert, of Getting On and The Dick Van Dyke Show, Dead at 87

Ann Morgan Guilbert, whose TV credits spanned from The Dick Van Dyke Show to The Nanny and most recently Getting On, died on Tuesday after battling cancer. She was 87.

Guilbert’s first major TV role was on The Dick Van Dyke Show, as Millie Helper, wife of the Petries’ dentist neighbor Jerry. Following that run, her myriad TV credits included The New Andy Griffith Show, The Fanelli Boys, Pickett Fences and The Nanny (as the titular Fran’s Grandma Yetta).

In more recent years, Guilbert guested on shows such as Modern Family and Life in Pieces, as well as recurred on HBO’s Getting On (as Birdy Lamb).

1. Ralph says:

Thanks for all the laughs Ms Guilbert. RIP. You will be missed.
    Blessings on your family.

2. webly3 says:

RIP :( she was a great actress. Even in her last years of life, she still could grasp the audience’s attention (seriously, she was great as Birdy Lamb).

3. Nero tTVFiddler says:

So sad to hear this news. One of my favorites from my childhood days watching reruns of the Dick Van Dyke Show, and then later as a young adult watching The Nanny.

She had a long, wonderful career and life, and we should be grateful she was with us for so long. She will be missed and remembered fondly.

Rest in peace Ms. Guilbert… and thank you!

• herman1959 says:

Same here… I liked her as Yetta, but she’ll always be Millie to me.

• sarah t says:

Same here, she’ll always be Millie to me though I did love her as Yetta. She had great comic timing and was the perfect compliment to any cast she was with.

4. TaMara says:

I met Ann twice, she was the nicest person. Talented and funny, may she rest in peace.

5. She was a comic genius-remember the song she did on DickVanDyke show for the school’s amateur show-she far outweighed MTM in talent but never got the deserved acclaim-always in MTM’s shadow & shouldn’t have been. Don’t forget her on Seinfeld either as the Florida neighbor of Jerry’s parents-a pro and delight to the end – many thanks and RIP.

6. Lola says:

Aww Yetta. I adored her in the nanny. She was awesome. RIP.

7. Pat says:

I will always remember Ann, as Millie on the Dick Van Dyke Show. A very funny, funny lady. Rest in Peace, Ann and make them all laugh in heaven.

8. K.D.S. says:

I just finished “The Nanny” and i loved Yetta. RIP. :(

9. Gail says:

I remember an interview she gave where is she mentioned turning down the chance to be a regular on the Dick Van Dyke show. She felt if she was a regular the show would feel obligated to use her in a bunch of episodes where she would only have a line or two and then disappear. She preferred only to be on when there was an actual need for Millie to be there. A class act. RIP

10. "A" says:

Loved Ann as Grandma Yetta ( Yetta Rosenberg Jones ) on “The Nanny”

RIP

11. Ron says:

Yetta! I loved her. RIP Ann. She was also really good as Birdy on Getting On. I’m really happy she was able to have such a great role before she passed.

12. Maggie says:

I just so happened to binge on Getting On’s final season last night. As sad as Birdy Lamb’s death was, Ann Morgan Guilbert’s death is much sadder. RIP ma’am and thank you.