Tony Awards 2016

Tony Awards 2016: Donald Trump's New Musical, a Hamilton Conspiracy and 14 Other Memorable Moments

The first annual Hamilton Awards — though I’m told it appeared on select DVRs as “the 70th annual Tony Awards” — felt like a three(ish)-hour of all that is right in the world.

On a day marred by unspeakable tragedy, it lifted our spirits and gave us countless reasons to smile. And in a time when other award shows fail to embrace diversity, it shone a proud spotlight on an incredible array of talent.

So in the spirit of having a laugh and obsessing over some sickeningly gifted humans, I invite you to join me for a look back at some of the more offbeat moments from the 2016 Tony Awards. Like host James Corden‘s (accidental?) match game with presenter Keri Russell. Or Andrew Rannells as Donald Trump (in a musical we would absolutely pay money to see.)

Grade tonight’s ceremony, then take a deep breath and click into my gallery of favorite Tony moments — complete with my own version of “awards.” And when you’re done, drop a comment with your own thoughts on the big show.

1. Dave says:

Jessica Lange! I saw “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” last week and it was incredible. An almost four hour epic and Jessica owns it from beginning to end. That final monologue she gives is just… well, if you get the opportunity to see it before it closes, please do so. So pleased she won.

2. Heather says:

That photo of Barbra Streisand is awful! It looks like John Travolta in drag!
    I did not even notice the matching with Keri Russell. And I missed the Titus commercial.
    I loved James’ parents take on the show. James was a great host & loved his opening. The Law & Order bit was hilarious!
    Jessica Lange is headed for an EGOT
    And the medical staff at the ready was really funny. I wondered what would happen if Beyoncé came out with her!

3. Lady Bella says:

James Cordes did an excellent job he is very talented, I enjoyed the show.

4. c-mo says:

All awards shows should be this well done. The winners were genuine when they accepted their awards and their speeches were heartfelt. I expected a lot from James Corden and he went way above and beyond, best hosting job for any awards show, he is amazingly talented!

5. dellface says:

I loved how he came out in that atrocious jacket and nothing was said about it AND that was the only time you saw it.

6. Anne Normandin says:

Didn’t have a clue who James Cordon was until he started his late night, and have been hooked ever since. He can, and does do everything, and well. Love him. Fan forever – he batted it out of the park at the Tonys. Good for you James Cordon, you are truly good person and it shows through all your antics !

7. sntindall says:

TONY AWARD WINNER DAVEED DIGGS!!!!! Show was great, loved the Bright Star number and while I’m sad Pippa and Davod Korins lost, the people who did win were very deserving! The she loves me set is so great!

8. MMD says:

Absolutely loved James Corden’s opening. I’m convinced he can do anything. I liked that the massacre was addressed right at the top because I can’t think of a more inclusive place than Broadway or the arts in general. After such a grim day of news it was the perfect antidote for a few hours of escapism before returning to the truly scary world that exists now.

I simply don’t understand the hate but then again, Canada is a pretty liberal country and we have a different gun culture. Can’t we all just get along and live and let live.

9. KathyL says:

Anyone do a count of how many actors on CBS shows that were/are also legit Broadway actors (ie: not TV/movie stars moonlighting on Broadway) presented or were nominated (or just in nominated shows) last night?

Just off the top of my head: James Corden (Tony winner), Bebe Neuwirth (winner), Patina Miller (winner), Aaron Tveit, Laura Bernanti (nominee last night), and the actress who played Alan Cummings’ daughter on The Good Wife (featured in clips of The Humans). I’m pretty sure I’m missing a couple from my list.

And aside from Corden, I don’t think they ever mentioned the connection.

10. Sally McLinn says:

It was the perfect awards show with the perfect host — except for the carpool karaoke. It made me want to go to Broadway and see every show.

• MMD says:

Me too. The performances were absolutely terrific and I absolutely love, love, love live theatre. I am planning a trip to Broadway and to London’s West End in the next year or so.

11. Eloise Minn says:

I have watched the Tonys for over 40 years. It’s been my yearly at home dress up treat. However, this year’s show was over the top AWESOME for a lot of reasons. It was wonderful, every bit of it and not a dull moment.

12. Chris Turner says:

The show was marred by constant technical glitches that were maddening. Really, for me, CBS ruined it with their incompetence.