Game of Thrones Recap Season 6 Episode 8

Game of Thrones Recap: Homeward Bound

Need to catch up? Check out last week’s Game of Thrones recap for Season 6, Episode 7 “The Broken Man,” here.

ABC’s Nashville came back from the dead this week. How is this relevant to the comings and goings of Game of Thrones‘ Westeros, you ask? Well, two weeks ago I would’ve said that Lady Stoneheart opening a hot dog-and-vengeance stand somewhere in the Riverlands was more likely than the country-music drama — beloved though it may be — getting another chance.

But these are magical times we live in, and if someone is pulling fan wishes out of the ether and making them come true, can I log my desire for Jaime and Brienne to quit this crazy scene and gallop off, swing by Bear Island to adopt little Lyanna Mormont, and then start a bed-and-breakfast in Pentos?

Yes, I know he’s a sister-schtupper who pushed a boy out a window as easily as you or I would order a coffee on a Tuesday morning. Yes, they will likely be the agents of each other’s death before this whole shebang is done. But after watching the characters reunite on screen in this week’s episode, can you really say there’s not even a tiny part of you that isn’t dying to book a weekend at J&B’s Seaside Inn and Crullery?

In other news, we get an update on poor pincushion Arya and The Hound runs into some familiar faces. (Maybe that hot dog stand isn’t so far off, after all, eh?)

Read on for the highlights of “No One.”

HOUSE STARK | We open on the Fake Cersei acting out Joffrey’s death with her troupe, giving a stirring performance of a grieving mother (took Arya’s advice, did ya?) while the crowd watches, silently rapt. At the end, they erupt with loud applause; Lady Crane walks backstage, takes off the blonde wig and, hearing a noise, finds Arya bleeding out in her closet.

She patches the girl up, calmly informing Arya that she seriously messed up the face of the actress who’d wanted her dead. Then she asks Arya to join the company on its way to Pentos. “Come with us. What’s left for you here?” Lady Stark replies that she’d bring danger upon them, thanks to The Waif, and that her plans instead center on finding out what lies “west of Westeros,” aka where the maps stop. But for now, she’s in considerable pain, and the actress very maternally suggests she take some milk of the poppy and rest.

While Arya is out, a man appears in Lady Crane’s room. The girl wakes in terror to find the actress dead at The Waif’s hand. The Many-Faced God has been “promised another name,” The Waif says, causing Arya to leap from the window in terror. There’s a big chase through the streets; it ends with Arya falling down a bunch of stairs and knocking over a lot of fruit. She’s bleeding again, and very weak.

“On your knees, or on your feet?” The Waif asks, as Arya grabs Needle. And the next thing you know, J’qen finds The Waif’s bloody face on his wall. “You told her to kill me,” Arya says from behind him. “Yes, but here you are. And there she is,” he answers. “Finally, a girl is no one.” Um, nope. “A girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell, and I am going home,” she states, finally marching outta that freak show for good. YES. YES. YES. YES. This may even require a YAAAAAAAS.

HOUSE CLEGANE | Sandor Clegane takes an axe and makes short, bloody work of the men who made short, bloody work of the peaceful sept where he’d been living. And when he tracks down the last three of the group, he finds them about to hang from a tree… courtesy of the Brotherhood Without Banners. Turns out they were rogue BWB members who now have to die for being so terrible. The Hound is given two of the tree to dispose of himself, which he does — then steals one of their boots and inquires about lunch.

As they eat, Thoros tries to recruit The Hound to their cause. “We need good men to help us,” Beric Dondarrion says. “It’s not too late for you.” The scarred man looks dubious but (maybe?) hopeful. Speaking of hopeful, the brotherhood is intimately involved with the appearance of Lady Stoneheart in the books, so I’m crossing my fingers and staying cautiously optimistic. (And if you don’t know what I’m talking about and don’t want to be spoiled, don’t Google, cool?)

Game of Thrones Recap Season 6 Episode 8HOUSE TARGARYEN | Tyrion and Lord Varys walk Meereen as the latter prepares for a secret expedition to Westeros. Things seem to be going well, post-Tyrion’s accord with those in power, but Varys is wary as he slips away to the ship.

So, bored, Tyrion gets Grey Worm and Missandei to drink with him. She says she once drank, and “it made me feel funny.” He replies, “That’s how you know it’s working.” Ha. As the three twiddle their thumbs, waiting for Daenerys to return, Tyrion muses that he would like to have a vineyard when all this nuttiness is over (for what it’s worth, I would love to get silly on Imp’s Delight). Then he tries to get the Mother of Dragons’ advisers to tell jokes. It’s just starting to go well (thanks to a tipsy translator), when bells start ringing: “The masters have come for their property,” Missandei says, now stone-cold sober.

Grey Worm advises waiting for the masters, who are firing on the city, to come to them. Moments later, it appears that has happened. But don’t worry, guys: It’s just Daenerys! She’s back!

HOUSE LANNISTER: ROYALLY SCREWED EDITION | Several members of the Faith Millitant are inside the Red Keep, thanks to Tommen, and they want to meet with Cersei. So she (and The Mountain, and skeevy faux maester) met with Lancel, who relays the High Sparrow’s desire to meet with her on his turf. “Order your man to step aside, or there will be violence,” Lancel informs her. “I choose violence,” she whispers. Then The Mountain tears one of the sparrow’s head from his body — with his reanimated, bare hands — and Cersei gets in one last zinger: “Please tell his High Holiness he’s welcome to visit.”

The Queen Regent’s moment of power is short-lived, though; during a royal announcement (that she didn’t even know about until it happened), she is relegated to the gallery rather than her usual seat by Tommen’s side. The big news: Loras and Cersei’s trial will be held in the great sept, oh — and trial by combat is now forbidden. This is a big deal, because Cersei had been banking on The Mountain to destroy his opponent, thus winning her freedom. Instead, Tommen announces, a handful of septons will determine her fate. As she’s absorbing this news, Qyburn approaches and says that the rumor she wanted him to investigate is “More. Much more.”

HOUSE LANNISTER: UNDER-SIEGE EDITION | Meanwhile, Brienne and Pod come across the siege outside Riverrun, where the sight of Jaime riding among the ranks commands her attention. “You think they’re f—king?” Bronn casually asks Pod as Jaime and Brienne talk in a tent, echoing a conversation I’ve had almost word-for-word with several fellow viewers over the years.

“I’m proud of you,” Jaime tells Brienne re: keeping her oath, and I think he means it. “We shouldn’t argue about politics,” he says. “I know there is honor in you,” she says. Bottom line: She wants to enter Riverrun under flag of truce and try to get The Blackfish to give up the castle in exchange for Jaime letting his forces ride safely north. “I need your word,” she presses, and he grants it. “You have until nightfall.” That worked out, she tries to return the sword of Valyrian steel he gave her. “It’s yours. It’ll always be yours,” he responds, and COME ON GUYS. YOU ARE KILLING ME HERE. She reminds him that if Brynden Tully doesn’t do as she asks, they may well end up fighting each other. “Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.”

After a bit of posturing, The Blackfish admits that he doesn’t “have enough men to help her take Winterfell,” and that he’s going to stay and fight for his own home rather than march north to help Sansa. So Brienne instructs Pod to send a raven to the redhead: “Tell her I failed.” Sniff.

HOUSE TULLY | Jaime gives Edmure Tully something no one has done in at least three episodes: a chance to talk. Edmure warns the Kingslayer that his uncle will never surrender the castle. Then Jaime brings up Edmure’s son — conceived on his wedding night — and the wife he hasn’t seen since. Edmure is unswayed. “You’re a fine-looking fellow, your square jaw, your golden armor,” Tully says, and now I’m very intrigued to where this is going. “I want to know, I truly do: How do you live with yourself?” (Ah. I mean, that’s good, too, right?) Jaime waxes poetic about his time as Catelyn’s prisoner, her love for her children. “Don’t talk about Cat!” Edmure spits, but Jaime never rises to the bait as he compares Catelyn and Cersei… then says he’ll do whatever he has to do to return to her. “If I have to slaughter every Tully who ever lived to get back to her, that’s what I’ll do.” Edmure cries.

Later that night, Edmure approaches the castle and demands entry — but The Blackfish won’t allow it, saying it’s a trap. “You are not lord of this castle, my lord,” the man in charge of entrances and exits informs Brynden, and the drawbridge lowers. Once inside, Edmure commands that all the guards stand down and the home open its gates — and that his uncle be put in irons and handed over to the Freys.

Brienne tries to get the old man to escape with her and Pod, but he refuses to run again. “You’ll serve Sansa far better than I” he tells her, rushing back to meet the invading forces with his sword drawn. Later, Jaime is informed that The Blackfish died, fighting. At that same moment, Jaime notices Brienne and Pod rowing to freedom. She raises a hand to him, he gazes at her, and I don’t care who or what you ‘ship, that is a MOMENT.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Sound of in the comments!

1. Katy says:

Jaime Lannister….his book arc is pretty much destroyed.

2. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Good episode but I REALLY want to know who the HELL is Cersei’s bigass bodyguard are the people of the show going to reveal who or what he is?!!!!! Anyways CAN’T WAIT for the BASTARD BOWL SHOWDOWN!!!!! Lol:-D

• Mollymoo says:

He’s a qyburned back to life Mountain…aka Gregor Clegane. The small council even called him such a few episodes back.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Oh…the name does sound familiar tho. All these characters I get confused. Thanks!

• maggie says:

The Mountain is the brother of The Hound, aka Sandor Clegane. The burns on the side of The Hound’s head were caused by his brother, The Mountain. When they were kids, The Mountain caught The Hound playing with one of this toys, so he shoved The Hound’s head into hot coals.

• rusty_cd says:

The Mountain was “killed” by Oberyn Martell’s poisoned sword in Tyrion’s trial by combat, but not before he killed Oberyn.

3. I thought Blackfish was Edmure’s uncle not father….other than that YASSSS Brienne and Jamie needs to happen already

• And Jamie raised his hand first, then she responded raising hers…..sorry tor the nip tuck but I love them so much its hurts- Oh You Jamie showing that you wolrd is not enterily about Cersei

• At last! says:

I just love it that Jaime would manipulate Edmure, lie to his own men and surrender his most valuable prisoner just so that honor wouldn’t compell Brienne to fight for the Tully. You could see it in his eyes: the one thing he was actually afraid off was that, come nightfall, Brienne would fight against the Freys.

• AnnieM says:

While I do love the idea of Jamie/Brienne, I don’t think it will ever actually happen. They each have such strong feelings of honor and duty that by doing that, each would be dishonoring the other’s ideals, I think. I think most of their bond comes from the fact that they respect each other; Jamie treated Brienne with respect when other men did not, and the fact that Brienne is a knight herself gives her an understanding of Jamie that Cersei will never have. Your classic ‘love that can never be’. ::sigh:: :-)

• At last! says:

The main problem I see is not that they are sworn to other people, but that they are accustomed to the westerosi way of arranged marriages: they can’t recognize what they have for what it is because people like them don’t date.

• Shaun says:

Yes,his uncle.Catlyns father died in the first or second season I think.

• Hege says:

He was. Edmure is Catelyn Starks brother. This was mensoned.

4. Ian says:

Terrible episode. After all the buildup and speculation about the Arya storyline, Lady Crane dies, Arya gets chased around some more with a hole in her stomach, and then kills The Waif offscreen. The Hound’s stuff was a WTF let down as well. And Riverrun felt pointless. God awful episode. All setup, very little payoff.

• Melosm says:

Agreed. More than one episode this season has been disappointing. I am worried that without books the show will continue to go downhill.

5. Jimmy says:

I found this to be a rather wasted episode. A great character like the Blackfish was wasted and killed ff screen. The only good things about the episode was Arya finally taking care of that girl who looked like Lena Dunham’s younger sister — finally!

6. Kevin K says:

Emotional moment from the episode – Jaime and Brienne going their separate ways. Can’t wait for next week’s epic showdown between Jon Snow and Ramsay.

7. Shaun says:

They crammed too much into one episode.

8. DamnDaniel says:

Well, so much for the Wait being Arya’s dual personality split theory. That was a short-lived and quick-to-be-put-to-the-death theory.

…And also crushed was many who dreamed of the Clegane brothers battling it out by combat at Cersei’s trial (though that’s still possibile with a different location).

Having Arya get the biggest action in the episode was top notch in my books. I even enjoyed the smile on Jaquen’s face as she prounced who she was and that she was returning home. Almost like that was the plan for her all along and he had his part to play in it. I hope we get to see that smile again, though I doubt it.

My only disappointment is with the Waif. I always thought there was more to the reason why she seemed so contemptuous of Arya…….like maybe there was a death in the Waif’s family and a Stark was responsible… some thing…….. now I guess we can just think of her as a contemptuous, jealous person. ah well.

Man, listening to all the complaining here. People complain there’s too much bloodshed, then when they tell a story, people complain that’s too boring. Well, all your wah wah-ing can stop because the EP”s said Eps 9 and 10 would be full of shockers, deaths and all the things you all want in your GoT. Oh shoot I just read a headlines about deaths and storylines for the last 2 episodes being leaked onto the net.

Needless to say, I’ll have to avoid the internet for the next two weeks. Damn it.
    No fracking way do I want to know who dies. A kick in the butt to the all the spoilers revealing morons out there.
    s

• Mollymoo says:

I always thought the Waif was simply jealous of Arya. She seemed to be ‘teacher’s pet’ until Arya showed up. In both book and in the show, Jaqen H’ghar (“The Kindly Man” in the book) appears to have a soft spot for Arya which I guess doesn’t sit well with the ‘mean-girl turned assassin.” There is the theory out there that Syrio and Jaqen are the same person. If that were true, then it makes sense that he’d have this soft spot for Arya and a wish to ultimately see her rise into her own self and be ready to kick some butt.

9. jen says:

It feels like most of the Lannisters are not long for this earth. I just have a feeling that Jaime’s going to be too late to save Cersei and he’ll blame himself for her death. And at this point, Tommen has my sympathy but I’m not going to miss him a bit if somebody takes him out — either spank him or if necessary kill him. I look forward to Dany and her dragon (hopefully all 3 dragons) and her Dothraki getting rid of all the slave owners once and for all. (Boy is she gonna be pissed at Tyrion though of course he’ll talk his way out of it to his advantage i’m sure).

Isn’t it interesting that Varys leaves the city hours before the fleet arrives? I mean he does have all his little whispers (or whatever he calls them) everywhere? Just sayin’.

• Azerty says:

Has Varys ever met Dany? He arrived way later after Tyrion last season when She was already gone and now he leaves just before she gets back. Very curious if there is something about that.

• Kayla says:

Yep, I question Varys too. All those little birds and not one whisper about a massive army being assembled right under his nose. The only thing I can think is that he finds the situation in Westeros to be far more important and believes that Dany and Tyrion can break the siege without him.

• Tom says:

Oddly enough, in the books, he had already written her off. He was tired of her manipulation.

• Azerty says:

Really? I haven’t read the books but I always imagined that the finale battle for the Iron Throne would be between Varys and Littlefinger through all their manipulation!

• At last! says:

At this point, the final battle for the Iron Throne would be between the Night King and one of the dragons.

10. immeam says:

i am torn between BXJ and BXT….of course there’s Jamie and Cersi…what’s in Arya’s belly?she survived after getting stabbed so many times!!!Dany’s track is getting a little boaring..cant wait for the next epi!!!!

11. AngelWasHere says:

The off screen deaths of The Waif and Blackfish suck big time. The Waif especially. I wanted to see that smug face get cut down by needle.

• Kayla says:

Agreed. We should have seen at least one of them die. Also killing Blackfish was a waste of a good character. Hopefully we will see he actually survived.

• Mollymoo says:

Eh. A fight in darkness would have been hard to depict on the screen and yet, a fight in darkness was exactly right for this story. Arya having the upper hand in a battle of the blind. She led the waif to that spot for that reason. It was perfect as it was. And the Blackfish – eh. I could take or leave him. Same for his character in the book. He always struck me as this impetuous, stubborn thing who was going to create issues for more than just himself by being so stubborn he became ineffective. They could have offed Edmure too while they were at it. How did Cat end up being the only Tully with sense and a backbone?

• Ben says:

Cat was so stupid and naive that she free Jaime and end up been killed… IMO according to the books the Blackfish was the only Tully with brain and sense of strategy. + about Arya.

• Mollymoo says:

Now see, I always thought Cat was rash to take Tyrion in the first place and that led to half the mess they landed in with Jamie. But that wasn’t about intellect or naivete. It was about passion and a mother’s sorrow. She got killed because of her Robb and his stupid horomones. ;) She died because she believed the Frey’s would adhere to the long held tradition of not murdering someone that shared a meal at your table. A lot of folks died that name for the same. I read the books too…wasn’t always that impressed with Blackfish there either.

12. AngelWasHere says:

Can’t wait for next week when Jon battles Ramsey.

13. Azu says:

Is it the recap or was the episode was really bad? It sounded like it’d be a waste to watch it and wait for next week’s episode. I just want to know to help me decide if I should watch it?

• LMK says:

It wasn’t my favorite episode except for Ayra. You end up just loving her more. Even though it wasn’t my favorite, you should still watch it.

14. LMK says:

This wasn’t my favorite episode. Sad to see what happened to Blackfish but loved what Ayra did. Good to see the Queen of Dragons to return as well. Not looking forward to next episode especially if Bolton isn’t defeated.

15. Stacey says:

Yes Arya, a girl is Arya Stark of Winterfell! Loved the Brienne and Jaime scenes, those two have great chemistry and I love the intensity of their scenes. Letdown of Blackfish dying offscreen as well as the Waif. Looking forward to next week, Jon vs. Simon aka Barry aka Ramsay!

16. Mollymoo says:

Not every episode can be loaded with reveals and nail biting. This was good. It wasn’t epic, but it was good. I was quite smitten with the juxtaposition of characters throughout the whole thing – of story lines that mirrored one another. The Hound’s 2nd life vs the Mountain’s. Cersei’s mothering vs Catelyn Stark’s. Jamie’s “Cersei or bust” vs Blackfish’s “Riverrun or bust.” Jamie’s oath vs Brienne’s. Jamie’s honor (or lack there of, it’s debatable) as a knight vs Brienne’s. The seige at Riverrun vs Meereen. The role of Jamie in that seige vs Tyrion. The Hound reclaiming his identity (he’s not a pacifist, pseudo-hippie. He’s the Hound for crying out loud! He can use his ‘power for good’ though and he will) vs Arya reclaiming her identity. Or, as we might otherwise look at it, life is hardly ever black and white, good vs evil. Even the most loathsome of figures (aka a ‘knight’ who would shove a kid out a window so no one knew he was getting it on with his twin) have more depth to him…you can almost root for the slug if you watch long enough. And a brilliant mind can be wrong (Tyrion) and a man who is willing to die for a pile of stone isn’t brave enough to fight for his family (Blackfish) and so on. . . Sometimes the story has to slow down and lay the groundwork and flesh the character so we care when the pace picks up and our heart pounds.

17. Derrick says:

**As she’s absorbing this news, Qyburn approaches and says that the rumor she wanted him to investigate is “More. Much more.”**

Was it revealed previously what the rumor actually is that she wanted investigated? If it was, I have no recollection.

• Mollymoo says:

No, it wasn’t. This was something initiated off screen, although there’s plenty of speculation about what it might be. :)

18. AnnieM says:

The whole Blackfish thing – says “what a waste”, runs off to an unseen fight, then less than a minute later, someone is saying he’s dead…has me wondering if we may be seeing a LORD Stoneheart…? It was just a passing thought I had last night.

19. Louie says:

Brienne and Jaime? Or Brienne and Tormund? What a wicked triangle that would cause… Brienne is one lucky lady

20. Liz says:

– Tyrion, Missandei & Grey Worm telling jokes = gold
    – FINALLY Dany’s back with them!
    – Poor Jamie, you’re lost in this story with Cersei… Brienne is the one for you!!
    – Edmure, well, I couldn’t help but picture Black Jack Randall (Outlander, yay!)
    – the Waif killed off screen? WTF? How did Arya do it anyway?
    – Tommen = you deserve a good slap for doing that to your own mother! Btw, where was Margery?
    – Clegane = don’t care.

21. Phoenix5634 says:

They better be doing more than the 13 or whatever episodes next season(s). I will be very upset if they speed up the storyline too much, which I’m feeling is going to happen, becuz I honestly cannot see the show ending in the number of episodes they’ve said are left, compared to where we are now in the story. They should start writing more like they did in seasons 1-4. If they did that I bet they could make at least 9-10 full seasons easily. There’s So much still to happen, So much that’s barely been introduced, and the earlier seasons had more great dialogue. I feel like the show has even got a little politically correct from the earlier seasons. Anyway, my point is, to do this great show justice it needs more episodes than what they’re saying. And they should rewatch the earlier seasons if they need inspiration. I could easily write probably 10 full seasons for this great show if it was my full time job, so they should definitely be able to do so as well.