Fall TV Preview

Fall TV First Impression: Notorious

The broadcast networks have nearly 20 shows debuting this fall, including Kiefer Sutherland’s term as POTUS, Michael Weatherly’s NCIS follow-up and the story of MLB’s first female player. To help you prep for it all, TVLine is offering First Impressions of the not-for-review pilots.

First up on our list….

THE SHOW | ABC’s Notorious (Thursdays at 9/8c, premiere date TBA)

THE COMPETITION | Chicago Med (NBC), Thursday Night Football (CBS), Supernatural (The CW) and Pitch (Fox, new)

THE CAST | Piper Perabo (Covert Affairs), Daniel Sunjata (Graceland), J. August Richards (Angel), Aimee Teegarden (Friday Night Lights), Sepideh Moafi (Black Box), Kate Jennings Grant (Alpha House), Ryan Guzman (Heroes Reborn) and Kevin Zegers (Gracepoint)

THE SET-UP | Inspired by the real-life stories of Larry King Live EP Wendy Walker and criminal defense attorney Mark Geragos, Notorious stars Perabo as Julia George, a cable news producer with a knack for manipulating guests and thus headlines, while Sunjata plays Jake Gregorian, a legal eagle who tends to have his finger in many L.A. pies. Richards and Teegarden play Jake’s brother/law firm partner and associate, respectively, while Grant, Moafi and Guzman populate Julia’s workplace at Louise Herrick Live.

THE FIRST IMPRESSION | Is ABC’s Conviction, starring Hayley Atwell and also debuting this fall, the most Shonda-y show to not actually come from Shonda Rhimes? I thought so… until I cued up Notorious, which talks faster, darts around L.A. at a manic pace and even employs some How to Get Away With Scandal-esque music cues. Playing things much livelier than the above photo would suggest, Perabo’s Julia is the Olivia Pope of cable news, pulling strings people didn’t even know they had attached to them, while Sunjata sells us on Jake’s juggling of charm, swagger and dead-seriousness. Together, they share a crisp chemistry/mutual admiration that hopefully is sustained as is, and not segued into some Will They/Won’t They trope.

The pilot has perhaps 10-percent too much going on (including a subplot to inform us the one thing Julia cannot produce is a successful love life), and my hope is that Richards is given enough to do as Gregorian & Gregorian’s less-glitzy partner. As initially written, cable news star Louise Herrick is cartoonishly cougar-y off-camera, while Moafi brings a cool confidence as Julia’s scheduler. Teegarden and Guzman get cute moments as Jake and Julia’s eager beavers.

THE TVLINE BOTTOM LINE | Amid a largely different Thursdays-at-9 playing field and fronted by a pair of known names, Notorious could open well if “#TGIT” (or whatever the lineup gets dubbed this fall) viewers buy into it as the new Scandal.

Watch a trailer for Notorious, then vote in our poll below.

1. spindae2 says:

Love the cast premise is okay! Will give it 3-4 eps to prove itself.

2. Shaun says:

Piper has a lot of good will from Covert Affairs,and Daniel was great on Graceland.

3. opus says:

Utter junk. So, now, along with Shonda shows that are pure crap, we have Shonda-like shows that are pure crap. I do hope Hayley Atwell’s show is a lot better than this one looks.

4. Theresa says:

What is wrong with ABC? They kill good show like Castle who had redeeming characters and Give us crap like this? Unlikable characters doing despicable things and calling it edgy!

5. Ian says:

I was already giving this a shot for Piper, so consider me game.

6. Kevin K says:

SKIP IT. Piper Perabo had an amazing run on Covert Affairs and Daniel Sunjata did have an incredible run on Graceland (both shows on USA Network) but Notorious is one of the worst new shows of the season.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You’ve seen it, “Kevin”?

• jazzyt2u says:

LOL right

• Kevin K says:

No because I saw the trailer and what part of “skip it” did you not understand? I’m sticking to it and don’t patronize me.

• mary says:

Wow. It was a good question to ask since it was a “not for review pilot”. Was there something in the trailer that completely turned you off? I ask because sometimes shows do re-writes with the pilots, & sometimes after. Look how many times actors are changed before the actual show starts.

• Sara says:

Worst new show of the season…..yet didn’t see the pilot. Have a seat lol

• coneyro says:

I’ve watched three episodes so far. Don’t know what the haters are talking about, this show is GOOD.

Of, course, the two leads are favorites of mine from USA, so I’m a little prejudiced. However, the storylines are interesting, and I will continue to watch.

Hope it lasts awhile and doesn’t get cancelled without an ending.

7. Whatevah says:

I can’t stand Mark Garagos. He’s scum..

8. tvjunkie says:

I can only handle so many “Shonda-y” shows at one time, so I’m not sure. I’ve basically given up on the lunacy Scandal became so there may be room for something else.

9. King says:

It is a lot different from my usual type of show but I will tune in for Piper Perabo. I’ve been a fan since Covert Affairs. Hopefully I like it enough to stick around but if not I hope it succeeds!

10. danoregon says:

The cast is great – surprised the premise is such low stakes.

11. liame says:

I will give it a shot because it seems interesting and I like the actors involved.

12. Ally Oop says:

I think this will flounder. The trailer fails to explain what the show is about. I rank this show third worst of fal’s new shows in terms of the premise/trailer, ahead of only Speechless and Kevin Can Wait.

13. Larc says:

I’ll try Notorious, but it doesn’t sound very good. When things happen so fast the audience doesn’t have time to digest them, a lot of the effect is lost. Viewers can become numbed rather than engaged. Shonda fell into that trap with Scandal. She started out pacing things, but then action turned too frantic.

14. Bwhit says:

Loved Daniel Sunjata in Graceland so that’s part of the reason I’m trying it. The premise also seems intriguing so I’ve added it to my watch list in the fall :).

15. tallsy says:

No desire to see Sunjata. I can’t stand him. It’s too bad I’ll be missing out on Ryan Guzman every week, but I abandoned ship on Heroes:Reborn. I wish he would pick better projects.

16. HAP says:

Loved Piper on Covert Affairs. Really hope this show catches on and gives her a real network vehicle on which to shine.

17. Ruth says:

You had me watching this show just by who is in the cast!

18. Babygate says:

I’m wondering if describing a show as ‘Shonda-y’ is becoming more of an insult than an compliment considering how fast and low HTGAWM and Scandal slipped this past season. These shows devolved into plots that became unnecessarily convoluted, characters that became despicable almost beyond redemption and writing so incomprehensible that I couldn’t justify watching anymore. If Notorious follows the same model it will be in trouble fast.

19. ndixit says:

I still have no clue what the show is about and that’s a problematic thing. I like the two stars well enough but I need more than that to watch the show.

20. Lisa Brining says:

Will definitely give it a shot for PIper, loved Covert Affairs – we just need Oded Fehr to recur now and then –

21. liam5794 says:

I don’t like the trailer they put out, but I like the premise. I’ll definitely be checking it out.

22. ABC can’t cut and run give time to build to prove itself love the cast

23. bluji says:

Having gotten hooked on The Catch this spring, I get similar vibes out of this. Seems promising!

24. Ram510 says:

Your right, the photo doesn’t give much of an impression that much is going on. Shocked to see it’s so fast paced, perhaps I’ll try it out after all

25. Carol C says:

Looks like fun, plus the alternatives are less than wonderful.

26. Brenda Spicer says:

I am really enjoying “Notorious “

27. njartist says:

I watched the premier episode and it was not all that great. Perabo & Sunjata are
    wasted in this dribble of a show. The overall story was stupid and not worth a
    second viewing.