Emmys
emmy best comedy 2016

Emmys 2016: Outstanding Comedy Series — Our 7 Dream Nominees!

The annual Emmy nominations announcement can often play out like a New Year’s Eve bash: You enter with high expectations and a positive outlook, but by the time it’s over, you just want to pop two Advil and pull the covers over your head.

So while we won’t get official word on 2016’s nods ’til July 14 — and nomination voting doesn’t get underway ’til next week — it’s certainly not too early to start noisily squeaking in the hopes that our Emmy wheels get greased. (That metaphor was truly terrible. I apologize and strive to do better tomorrow.)

We at TVLine have recently tackled the Drama Series categories, debating which Emmy staples, oft-snubbed gems and dazzling newcomers ought to be on the ballot for 2016. There’ve been strongly worded emails, some light weeping and at least seven variations on “But why can’t we have 10 picks per category?!” Now, we’re moving on to the Comedy Series races.

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to see our which programs we want on the Best Comedy Series ballot, then tell us if our picks warrant a “Woot!,” a “Whaaaat?” or a collection of torches and brickbats!

1. Overrated says:

Meh. Don’t watch one of them!

2. Bryan says:

Dear Emmy voters, if you ever read the comments section (which I know you dont, but just in case), please consider

Jane the Virgin (COMEDY + DRAMA + TELENOVELA + #ROGELIODELAVEGA)
    Girls (greatest creative comeback)
    The Last Man on Earth (how can somethng so bleak be so funny)
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (optimism overload)
    Crazy Ex GF (nothing like this on TV, and it needs a lotta love)
    Veep (unapologetically funny)
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine (if ever cop shows would rule Emmys again, this one should be it)

3. webly3 says:

My nominees are
    Black-ish
    Broad City
    Girls
    Lady Dynamite
    Master of None
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Veep

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and New Girl are great. (The hardest decision was whether I should include Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and/or Jane the Virgin on my list) However, Girls’s phenomenal comeback season and Lady Dynamite’s weirdly amazing opening season couldn’t be omitted from my dream noms.

4. Spence says:

Yay to Black-ish and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Both have been incredible this year and I hope they both get nominated!

5. Nick says:

I usually tend to veer more towards dramas in my viewing habits, but then I see that I watch five of these shows…good list! I would substitute out New Girl for Last Man on Earth though

6. Steven says:

Crazy Ex Girlfriend (Win)
    Jane the Virgin
    Younger
    Broad City (Even though this season was disappointing)
    The Goldbergs
    The Real O’Neals
    You’re the Worst

7. N says:

The Middle

8. Et al. says:

I might add superstore to this list although I already forget if it was really really good or just much better than I expected.

9. ABG says:

Girls, Jane the Virgin, Blackish and Veep should be nominated.

Honorable mention to Unbreakable (which was a little hit and miss this year) and Mom.

New Girl improved a lot this year but it’s not Emmy worthy.

I’d have hoped for a Middle nomination but this year was actually very “meh”. No more Modern Family please.

10. Tom says:

I’m so happy you did not include the Office clone Modern Family. It’s so nice to see that people are finally realizing that while it’s a good show with a good cast, it’s NOT the best comedy on tv and never really has been

11. Guy says:

What’s an Emmys comedy series list without Jane the Virgin?

12. Jules says:

“Silicon Valley” is one of the funniest shows on TV, period. I’d be shocked if it wasn’t nominated.

13. Greg says:

I would be happy to see Difficult People, Casual, or You’re the Worst get one.

14. Hellas13 says:

Guess “comedy” doesn’t mean a funny show anymore.

15. LT says:

I’m sorry, but VEEP is not funny anymore. The cutting humor is now just low brow crass. This season has fallen apart for me. But I agree that if the academy wants to be original they should go all the way with CRAZY EX GIRLFRIEND. And I’d be fine with Rachel Bloom winning lead actress too.

16. TvPeong says:

Black-ish is hilarious!

17. flowerduh says:

1. You’re the worst
    2. Silicon Valley (This show makes me laugh so hard)
    3. Blackish
    4. Mom
    5. The Brink (Even though HBO made a HUGE mistake in cancelling the show it was hilarious. Especially the last episode)

18. Shaun says:

No love for Mozart in the Jungle?Also You’re the Worst is funnier than Crazy Ex and Master(which are basically meet cutes with the occasional laugh).

19. brendhafs says:

My dream nominees are Jane The Virgin, Silicon Valley, Mom and Mozart In The Jungle.

20. abz says:

I don’t know who I want to win more, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Both shows are hilarious.
    One thing is for sure. They are both deserving of nominations.

21. Blackish & Weep, fine. Real O’Neals should make Emmy cut, but probably won’t since it was mid-season show. No series should be eligible if you need a computer to watch them. Give them their own category

22. Court says:

Jane the Virgin
    Crazy Ex Girlfriend
    Veep
    Silicon Valley
    Master of None
    Girls

I’d pick Jane for the win or Master of None. Girls also had an amazing comeback season.

Mozart in the Jungle
    Younger
    ^Two other favorites!

23. Taylor says:

An Emmy-worthy comedy list without Jane the Virgin is inarguably flawed.

24. Anna says:

Um, what about Fresh Off the Boat?! It’s one of the most underrated comedies that no one’s watching. Who could pass up on Constance Wu?

25. ToyCannon says:

Last Man On Earth
    Modern Family
    The Goldbergs

27. MZ says:

It’s Always Sunny

28. Juan says:

Comedy has so many. I agree with Blackish, New Girl which made a great season with all the wedding stuff, Crazy Ex Girlfriend which was so inventive and weird and I loved it. Also how is Hane the Virgin not on here which was amazing this year and matched its freshman season. I would also consider Fresh Off The Boat and the Goldbergs. And The Real O’Neals and Superstore were also better than expected.

29. Miranda says:

What a great year for television comedy!
    It pains me to know that even though the TV Academy will have the pick of great comedy shows like black-ish, Crazy Ex GF, Jane the Virgin, New Girl, Broad City, Master of None, Its Always Sunny, etc etc – they will STILL shove Modern Family into the dang conversation.

30. Silicon Valley is so funny, smart, and accurate in its portrayal of the tech world in the valley! Should definitely be nominated, this season has been spot-on.

31. Daisy F. says:

I don’t watch all of the comedies on your list, but I found New Girl to be a bit blah this year. Swap out New Girl for Silicon Valley for sure. I think the problem with New Girl is that getting a break from Jess for a few weeks made me realize that her character has become insufferable. Her first episode back was nearly unwatchable. They have to solve the “Jess” problem because her adorkableness is getting old fast and it took a break from seeing her character for me to realize it.

I’m just so shocked that Silicon Valley didn’t make your list because it’s my favorite comedy right now. So funny and very brilliantly written.