Best TV Friends

National Best Friends Day: A Definitive Ranking of TV's Top 15 BFFs From Grey's, TWD, Teen Wolf and More

We’re all familiar with the dangers of TV ‘shipping, but today, we’re putting down our swords to salute the greatest ‘ship of all: friendship.

From Grey’s Anatomy‘s Meredith and Alex to Game of Thrones‘ Jon and Sam, Team TVLine has assembled the definitive* list of the best duos currently residing on the small screen. Some are friends with benefits (we know what goes on during the Pretty Little Liars‘ sleepovers), while others are merely mistaken for lovers (not that the Playing House ladies wouldn’t make a gorgeous couple).

So in honor of National Best Friends Day — which, according to Twitter, is a real thing — browse our gallery of the 15 finest friendships below, then drop a comment with your own list: Any biggies you think we missed?

*That’s right, we said definitive. Want to fight about it? (We’ll meet you in the comments section.)

1. Andra says:

How are Shawn and Gus not on this list? For real now!

2. Kevin K says:

Bummed they left off Tyrion and Varys from GoT in the BFF list. Also no Max & Caroline from 2BG and Kevin & Javier from Castle.

3. Manuela Andrade Freitas Valle says:

Where’s Mike and Harvey?

4. Lee says:

Danny gave Steve half of his liver after risking death to land the plane on the beach vs. in the ocean on Hawaii Five-0. Surely that should get a mention on your list. Best friends may bicker but they are the ones that have each other’s back when the chips are really down.

5. JC1 says:

Steve and Danny, Hawaii Five-0.
    Sam and Callen, NCIS LA.
    Jane and Maura, Rizzoli & Isles
    Sherlock and John, Sherlock
    T.C. and Topher, The Night Shift
    Hank and Alex, Supergirl
    Martin and Jax, Legends of Tomorrow
    Oliver and Diggle, Arrow
    Barry and Joe, The Flash

6. Linda says:

Dean and Castiel. Really? Where’s Sam and Dean? Steve and Danny? Or Temperence and Angela? Maya and Riley?

• Ninamags says:

*snort* Yeah, that’s why Dean kicked his “best friend” out of the bunker at the first sign of danger for Sam.

That’s why the “best friends” haven’t shared significant screen time in years.

Whatever, TVLine.

Steve and Danny are totally missing from this list.

• katie says:

Dude, as recently as this season finale Dean told Cas he was his brother. Kind of an odd statement to say they don’t share significant screen time.

• Linda says:

They don’t. Castiel was in what, about 1/2 the eps this season and in those, how many did he interact with Dean? Probably two.

• ninamags says:

So if he’s a “brother” then they definitely shouldn’t be on the list!

• taran63 says:

I believe Dean meant it when he told Castiel that. But I also believe Dean would personally decapitate Cas if it was the only way to save Sam.

• Tess says:

Well, Dean and Castiel ARE friends. I’d put Sam and Dean on a “best siblings” list, though!

• Linda says:

They are friends but best? C’mon. I’m sorry. I didn’t realize siblings couldn’t be best friends.

7. Wow, skipped a lot of good friendships here. Most of these shows I’ve never heard of or don’t watch. Quit focusing on the same shows over and over, there is a lot more tv then this!

8. TVLineFanGirl says:

Arrow: Felicity and Diggle (she never kidnapped and tied up his wife)

9. Kim R says:

Haha! Out of this list I only watch 2 of the shows. Many come to mind but for 1, Joey & Chandler! Their show was called Friends!! :D

10. HAP says:

For me it’s a tie between Ilana and Abbi, and Lennon and Jessica as my top fave out of this list.

11. MissMartini says:

I mean, technically Mindy & Peter have a much better bromance going on than Mindy & Morgan (but I understand that with Adam Pally no longer a series’ regular, it’s less evident these days… though they still make it work if you ask me). Nick & Schmidt from New Girl should be on there too! What about Liv & Ravi (& Major for the trifecta) on iZombie? And Sherlock & Watson (whether it’s on Elementary or on BBC’s Sherlock) should definitely make the list. Also missing from that list: Riley & Maya from Girl Meets World, they’re the new Cory & Shawn! ;)

• Ann says:

That’s what I was going to say! Pretty sure at one point in the series Mindy and Peter say they consider each other as their best friend. Mindy seems to dislike Morgan most of the time.

• Daphne says:

I don’t know about disliking Morgan per se, but she definitely doesn’t respect him. Which doesn’t make her a very good friend if you ask me… He’s a pretty great friend to her and idolizes her and all, but we really can’t say it’s reciprocal. So I’d say: she’s definitely HIS best friend, but he’s absolutely not HER best friend!

12. FR says:

Who on earth would choose Meredith and Alex over Meredith and Christina?

13. Jim says:

So much for definitive. Danny & McGarrett (Hawaii 5-0), Barry & Cisco (the Flash), Sam & Grischa (NCIS: LA), Jane & Maura (Rizzoli & Isles), TC & Topher (Night Shift), Oliver & Diggle (Arrow) just to name a few that are better than most of your list.

14. katie says:

Glad to see Dean and Cas. Their friendship is ever evolving and he called him his brother as recently as this finale. I agree about Emison ( they definitely have a bond, but Ali is always a little shady) and was glad Sheldon and Leonard made the list. Thanks, TVLine, for the nice homage to friendships.

15. Sandy says:

blades and Starks on GOT. You just can’t keep them apart.

16. Lisa says:

FitzSimmons!
    Sure, they are a couple now but they’ve been friends fro over 10 years before that. And they are awesome.

17. Slightly annoyed Broad City is ranked ahead of Playing House. It isn’t a BFF relationship when one of the parties is in love with the other person in the friendship.

18. Jean Gilliland says:

Conspicuously missing from this list is Harvey/Mike from Suits, unless by “currently residing on screen” you mean you’re not including BFF’s from shows currently in production but not airing right now.

19. JMark (formerly JM) says:

Felix and Sarah or Alison on Orphan Black??

20. Bwhit says:

Gunnar and Will (Nashville…. I’m hoping this show goes back into current status by the end of this evening ;))
    Snart and Rory (LOT)
    Mike and Harvey (Suits)

21. Jane says:

I’d have to go with John & Sherlock (Sherlock) and Tyrion & Varys (GoT). Watching these BFFs trade quips is a true joy. Actually a show with all four of them just sitting around a table talking and drinking would be the best.

22. Laffers18 says:

Sherlock Holmes and John Watson – one of the greatest (and oldest) fictional friendships. I mean, how can you not include them?

(Well, apparently very easily…but you know what I mean :) )

23. webly3 says:

Abbi & Ilana actually are number one. (although I love Kimmy & Titus’s friendship)

24. tigersmurfette says:

i know the list is current shows, but the ultimate bff relationship on tv ever is jd&turk on scrubs.

25. Christy says:

This list does not include Ryan and Esposito from Castle so I cannot accept it. Ryan named his baby son after his bro! #Recount

• Anna says:

That’s actually pretty common on TV – someone naming their kid after their best friend. I can think of like 5 sets of BFFs that did that off the top of my head.

26. Ben says:

It’s a shame this list was only current shows – my mind went straight to Chuck and Morgan.

Having said that, I feel like Oliver and Diggle belong on this list. I also really love the Mack/Daisy dynamic on Agents of SHIELD. And what about Galavant and King Richard?

27. !!! says:

Schmidt and Nick!!!

28. Sumit says:

Sherlock and Watson, Elementary.

29. Elisabeth says:

Jake and Charles – Brooklyn nine nine
    Maura and Jane – Rizzoli and isles
    Max and Caroline – 2 broke girls
    Sherlock and Watson – sherlock
    Diggle and Oliver – arrow

30. Britt says:

Man, I do love friendships. I hate the “they hugged, they should get married” superhyped stuff.

31. Tom says:

I’m continued to be amazed at the insistence to try and make Playing House a thing. That being said, I gather that it’s current shows only? Because while there are a lot of great friendships here, there are lots of others from all time left off. Like Ted and Marshall, Buffy and Willow, Chuck and Morgan just to name a few.

32. San Summer says:

“We’re all familiar with the dangers of TV ‘shipping, but today, we’re putting down our swords to salute the greatest ‘ship of all: friendship.”

Who are you trying to fool? Putting Dean and Cas on the list is about Destiel subtext.

33. WItvpeong says:

Great List! Especially love the Play House ladies!! Can’t wait for the new season! Only on screen duo missing in my opinion is Charles and Jake Brooklyn 99.

34. Jeanna says:

Abbie and Crane (still mad about this one FOX)
    Caitlin and Cisco
    Monty and Jasper

35. Mary Miller says:

How could you forget Rizzoli and Isles Jane and Maura????

36. Marissa L says:

I definitely think Jake & Charles from Brooklyn Nine-Nine deserve a spot on here, as well as Nick & Schmidt from New Girl. Funniest bromances on TV. :)

37. Miranda says:

I know it was relatively messed up over season five, but Scott and Stiles should definitely be higher on this list, if not number one. They’re the Joey and Chandler of current teen drama.