UnREAL Spoilers

Cable Ratings: UnREAL Returns Down, Rizzoli & Isles Steady

Despite much buzz, great reviews and fervent tweetering, Lifetime’s (already renewed) UnREAL opened Season 2 on Monday night with just 500,000 total viewers and a 0.2 demo rating — down from its series launch (820K/0.3), its freshman finale (800K/0.3) and its Season 1 average (700K/0.3).

That said, TVLine readers gave the UnREAL opener an average grade of “A-.”

Leading into the ruthless skewering of reality-TV, Devious Maids returned to 1.1 mil and a 0.3 (and an “A-” grade), down from both its previous premiere (1.5 mil/0.5) and its Season 3 average (1.4 mil/0.5).

Over on TNT, Rizzoli & Isles‘ double-episode final season opener did 3.9 mil/0.6 and then 3.6 mil/0.5, down from its previous premiere (4.4 mil/0.8) but on par with its Season 6 average (3.8 mil/0.6) and finale (2.9 mil/0.5).

1. LMK says:

I didn’t even know the unReal had started. I loved last season.

• Shaun says:

Figures,doubt it was well known what day it was back unless you follow the stars on twitter.

• Lou says:

The publicity was problematic on more than one front.
      I was looking forward to it, then saw a trailer talking repeatedly about the fact that the bachelor was black and I found the emphasis in the trailer so tiresome I didn’t stick around to see when it was on.
      Hollywood needs to stop patting itself so hard on the back for the tinieset bit of diversity, accept that in 2016, a black guy on TV is neither shocking nor in need of constant comment and just tell the tale of the next bachelor, without constantly referencing his blackness as though it were some sort of novelty.
      If they do that, I’m sure the ratings will pick up.
      After all, it’s a pretty good show.

• Ann says:

I think that’s the point of that whole thing. Did you watch Season 1 of UnReal? UnReal is supposed to satirize shows like the Bachelor, which has never had a black lead before. So, UnReal is making a point of that and also mocking Hollywood for always patting itself on the back when they cast minorities.

• Gerri says:

Problem with having the”Black Suitor” is yes it is a big deal for one to be chosen, but then they have to satirize it and make his character only wanting to do it to improve his image while not actually being a likeable bachelor looking for love. It is kind of shooting itself in the foot. I’ll watch for the behind the scenes stuff but not liking the actual Everlasting story

• GT says:

PVR was set to tape new episode on Sunday, which ended up being an old episode, even though I had a series recording set up from last season. Found the season 2 premiere by accident on Monday and set a new series recording. That could be the reason for the drop in ratings. Something obviously was not correct with times and dates. The season 2 premiere was really juicy and good. Tuned in to Rachel pressed up against the glass in a scandalous moment, oh la la! Started the season off with a “bang”. Can’t wait for more.

2. Boiler says:

Whatever garbage Reilly uses to replace R&I will never approach these numbers. More likely they will be near Franklin and Bash numbers like most of the new stuff the last couple of years. Kevin Reilly….network killer

• johnhelvete says:

There still has not been a single show that has premiered on TNT that is a “Reilly show”. Of course that changes next week with Animal Kingdom. You may well be correct and nothing on TNT will ever get a 0.58 in the 18-49 demo (which is the actual rating for the premiere, episode 2 got a 0.52), but my guess is they would not do any better airing lighter procedurals either in the future, so they might as well go for quality serialized dramas.

• Boiler says:

Well since he has been in charge the ratings on shows premiering since he took over, for the most part, have been abysmal. He is getting rid of one of his most popular shows for who knows what. He is stupid. He also was responsible for dumping Perception and the show that replaced it did worse than Franklin and Bash

3. N says:

I didn’t know R & I had started

4. webly3 says:

While UnREAL isn’t a highly rated show, it’s great and definitely representative of an important tonal shift for Lifetime. I feel like the ratings don’t really matter.

5. so sad for Devious maids. hoping it still gets renewed

6. DavidSask says:

Where the hell are the Lifetime viewers, not like there has not been publicity. Unreal deserves better!

7. Luli says:

WHy was Unreal so low?? such a good episode. What are the “good” and normal ratings for a cable show??

• Sarah96 says:

It depends on which show and where it is on..AMC the walking dead is a beast of his one with ratting’s above 6.0 but the rest of the shows do less than 1.0 or sometimes a little above.
      The other cable networks have maybe one or two big hits with above 2.0 ratting’s but the rest gets: 0.5 and down.

8. Disappointed there’s no Rizzoli and Isles recap.

9. lauren says:

Damn! I thought for sure it’d be up. I think people didn’t know it was coming back, my friend messaged me after the ep aired in shock that it was back because she had no idea. Hopefully it picks up!! Loved the premiere.

10. Ethel says:

Couldn’t even find Rizzoli on my guide listings so I could record it.

11. Sarah96 says:

UnReal is such a great show and of course the ratting’s matter! I hope more people watch the next episode and remember its on.

12. Eric says:

I don’t think a lot of people say hey what’s on Lifetime tonight. I also don’t think a lot of people even know this show exist depite all the credicial sucess. UnREAL won a Peabody award and a Crictics choice award. Some people just don’t get the concept of UnREAL. None of my friends even heard of the show. The ones that did only know about it because I’ve told them about it. I found out about the show because I am a fan of Shiri Appleby. People that don’t watch the Bachelor don’t want to watch a scripted show about the Bachelor. People that do watch the Bachelor dont want to know what goes on BTS. I think things would be different if this show was on HBO, Showtime, AMC or even ABC. Some networks just come with an instinst following or great repetation. UnREAL did not want to be 1 of 40 pilots on HBO. So by choosing Lifetime they are the only 1. They thought it would make them stand out more. While Lifetime is trying to rebrand the netwok most people still know it as Televesion for Woman. Everytime I put it on they are showing the same old stuff. Either some reality TV show, rerun or cheesy movie. I don’t think it’s for lack of trying. They did go out and promote the new season. They did a NY press tour. Shiri and Constance were on TV a lot. They have also been written up in various places. I saw celebrities on Twitter tweeting about how good UnREAL was. They even trended for a little bit on Monday night. Maybe they were on the wrong talk shows. Maybe the press tour was so early people saw them promote the show then forgot about it. I would have tried to go on Ellen, Fallon, Kimmel (as a guest not just for a 2 minute skit) & Saturday Night Live. I know those shows are a pipe dream. One of the many place Shiri and Constance were on was the MLB network. I don’t think UnREAL’s target audiance is guys that watch Baseball. I am a rare example. Also that show aired live when most people are working. I think Lifetime gets the the ratings are bad. With all the cridical buzz they renewed it anyway. Now they dont have to answer any questions about the ratings. Those are my thoughts anyway.

13. Eric says:

I don’t think a lot of people say hey what’s on Lifetime tonight. I also don’t think a lot of people even know this show exist despite all the critical l success. UnREAL won a Peabody award and a Critics choice award. Some people just don’t get the concept of UnREAL. None of my friends even heard of the show. The ones that did only know about it because I’ve told them about it. I found out about the show because I am a fan of Shiri Appleby. People that don’t watch the Bachelor don’t want to watch a scripted show about the Bachelor. People that do watch the Bachelor don’t want to know what goes on BTS. I think things would be different if this show was on HBO, Showtime, AMC or even ABC. Some networks just come with an instant following or great reputation. UnREAL did not want to be 1 of 40 pilots on HBO. So by choosing Lifetime they are the only 1. They thought it would make them stand out more. While Lifetime is trying to re brand the network most people still know it as Television for Woman. Every time I put it on they are showing the same old stuff. Either some reality TV show, rerun or cheesy movie. I don’t think it’s for lack of trying. They did go out and promote the new season. They did a NY press tour. Shiri and Constance were on TV a lot. They have also been written up in various places. I saw celebrities on Twitter tweeting about how good UnREAL was. They even trended for a little bit on Monday night. Maybe they were on the wrong talk shows. Maybe the press tour was so early people saw them promote the show then forgot about it. I would have tried to go on Ellen, Fallon, Kimmel (as a guest not just for a 2 minute skit) & Saturday Night Live. I know those shows are a pipe dream. One of the many place Shiri and Constance were on was the MLB network. I don’t think UnREAL’s target audience is guys that watch Baseball. I am a rare example. Also that show aired live when most people are working. I think Lifetime gets the the ratings are bad. With all the critical buzz they renewed it anyway. Now they don’t have to answer any questions about the ratings. Those are my thoughts anyway.

14. R&Z says:

welcome back Rizzoli & Isles.