Pregnant Savannah Guthrie Won't Cover Rio Olympics, Cites Zika Threat

Good news/bad news: Savannah Guthrie on Tuesday revealed that she is pregnant with her second child. As a result, the Today host has opted out of participating in NBC’s coverage of the 2016 Summer Olympics as fears grow over the mosquito-borne Zika virus.

“I’m not going to be able to go to Rio,” she said. “The doctors say that we shouldn’t because… of the Zika virus.” Guthrie’s decision comes following reports linking Zika — which has run rampant in Brazil — to a variety of severe birth defects. She is due in December.

As previously reported, Lauer and Meredith Vieira will emcee NBC’s Olympics coverage, beginning with the August 5 opening ceremony. Ryan Seacrest, who previously served as a corespondent during coverage of the 2012 London Games, will handle the Peacock’s late-night coverage.

Are you disappointed that Guthrie will be sitting out the 2016 Summer Olympics? Watch video of her big announcement below.

1. GraceM says:

Nope. No offense to NBC bit it identify matter who is the emcee.

Health should come first anyway.

2. TJ says:

About two weeks ago I started noticing a change in her wardrobe. I remember thinking during one of the segments on the Plaza that she might be pregnant again. I even watched closely during a cooking segment that featured an alcoholic drink to see if she drank it…. she did not. I figured it was too early to really know so I was not shocked with the announcement. Good for them and good for Today…. pregnancies always boost ratings! LOL

3. Ella Jasper says:

Smart move. Best wishes.

4. travismcgun says:

I’m glad she made that decision, kudos to her.
    But for Pete’s sake, I thought we all agreed that Lauer and Viera talking during the opening ceremony was the worst thing ever. Does NBC really have their heads so far up their ass that they’re going to do that, again?

5. Myself says:

You know,I do understand the worries with Zika virus,but the international media (not you TvLine,I mean everyone else xD) is kind of blowing it up out of proportion. I live in Brazil, and the Zika virus is not that prominent anymore, in the last six months it has affected 0,05% of the whole population, with only 3 cases of death confirmed. And though there are studies that claim birth defects are correlated with the virus, just 223 cases were attributed to the zika virus since last october, in 7.723 suspected cases, which is less than 0.3%; there are also studies that have linked them to faulted vaccines, and there are lots of mothers who had the Zika Virus and did not have babies with defects.

• grazelled says:

But why take a chance in this specific instance if you know you’re pregnant and there are others that can go for you. If a pregnant Guthrie became ill while in Brazil just to cover the games and delivers a child with birth defects or even worse one that dies wouldn’t that be a worse outcome for Brazil anyway?

• grazelled says:

Above comment in answer to @Myself.
        Also want to add a dead or sick baby is easier to understand for >90% of people than statistics/numbers.

• Pérola Cardozo Alves says:

Like I said above, I understand the worries, and in this case specific I do agree she shouldn’t risk it if she doesn’t need to or doesn’t want too. My comment was more me getting a little out of the chest, cause everything I read in the international media is how the Olympics shouldn’t be here, or how people will die, or make the zika a new bubonic pest if they go to Brazil, and that’s not realistic at all! This is not the end of the world, and I do know that there are news of zika pandemic in a lot other countries, including one in Puerto Rico, but is like we are the only country with it. I just wanted to let people know that is not like is being portrayed at the media. Yes, no one wants to see a sick baby, but, is not like there weren’t babys with defects before the Zika, is just that no one in Brazil really payed attention to them before. The olympics being here have transformed this disease in one of the biblical plagues, and Brazil in some kind of demon, and I don’t like it. We have too many problems, that are real social diseases, to worry already, Zika is just a seasonal disease, who happens to be the disease of the year, like H1N1, or Ebola. Right now we have less confirmed cases of defects in babys associated with zika then USA had of Ebola cases in 2014.

And I have no idea why my comment went with @Myself Oo, I thought that was just how it would show to me, not to everyone LoL!

• Joana says:

Oh, grow up. I live here, too and zika virus is a danger of any woman trying to get pregnant or already pregnant. It is a biblical plague for any woman carrying a child, and, no, it is not a seasonal disease. It is a disease that affects more people during summer months, but there are hundreds of data about women who were infected in the winter months. So, just get over your outrage about how zika virus is portrayed in the media and get real: it is a risk, it is real, and for a woman carrying a child it is ten times worse than getting H1N1 or Ebola.

By the way, go check your sources: there are more confirmed cases of babies born with borth deffects due to zika virus than Ebola cases in US in 2014.

• Pérola Cardozo Alves says:

Clearly I’m not the one who needs to grown up. I was pretty clear that I understand HER, that as a pregnant woman she does have a risk and she shouldn’t take the risk if she doesn’t have to. But the international media is making too much of a big deal about it. Zika is not the only disease that can cause defects in babies, and is not as big as its portrayed. And I did check my facts, which you clearly didn’t,since the own USA CDC site list its Ebola cases as more than the current 223 CONFIRMED cases of defects caused by Zika virus in Brazil. Suspected cases are not confirmed cases, and thousands of suspected cases were not confirmed as caused by Zika virus. I didn’t at any moment said that there is no worries about it, or that a woman shouldn’t feel worried about it, nor that the defects are small things to consider, what i said is that every year the media chooses one disease to become the biblical plague in trend, and exaggerate its reach, like they did with H1N1 and Ebola in the last years, and this year it was the Zika virus.

6. LaDonna says:

Not disappointed at all, especially if it means a Mer/Matt reunion. I miss Meredith!

7. Lauren says:

I’m not a Savannah fan and much prefer Meredith, so I am happy that she will be back to cover the Olympics!

8. HAP says:

I totally concur with her decision. That said, there are a number of athletes around the world who have said they would not participate because of the Zika threat including Pau Gasol. I’m wondering just how much the Zika threat will diminish the number of people that would normally travel to watch the Olympics live.