Emmys
emmys supporting actor drama

Emmys 2016: Supporting Actor in a Drama — Our 7 Dream Nominees!

A sadist. A supervillain. A soul-scarred creature.

These were just a few of the supporting TV characters that captured our imaginations over the past year. And while we might not necessarily want ’em right at our dining room tables, we couldn’t wait to have them in our living rooms on a weekly basis.

And now, we want ’em at the 2016 Emmys.

Yep, as part of our Dream Emmy Nominations initiative, we’ve turned our attention to the race for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series. Remarkably, none of the six gents who made the actual Emmy cut in 2015 made our list. (See how funky-fresh we are at TVLine?)

For the record, 2016 Emmy nominations will be made from June 13-27, and announced July 14. The 68th Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony, hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, is slated to air Sunday, Sept. 18 on ABC.

Check out the gallery below — or click here for direct access — to see our fresh-blood ideas, then tell us if our picks warrant a “Woot!,” a “Whaaaat?” or a collection of torches and brickbats!

1. Tim says:

These are all great picks and yet, maybe only two of them will be nominated.

2. Ro says:

I would say: TOBIAS MENZIES, OUTLANDER
    MARTIN WALLSTROM, MR. ROBOT
    SCOOT McNAIRY, HALT AND CATCH FIRE

3. Shaun says:

A pretty good list,remove Jonathan Jackson though.Scoot was misused this season,so doubt he gets one.Tennant definitely deserves one,so he won’t get a nomination,lol.

4. Alice says:

#EmmysSoWhite

• EJ386 says:

Instead of complaining about them being so white (and these aren’t even the real nominations, so the Emmy-people have nothing to do with this list) which non-white supporting actors do you want to get a nomination? Complaining about racism can be legit, but only when people are being excluded because of their skins colour and not there performance. I (and yes I’m a white person) watch quite a lot of TV, but I can’t think of a non-white actor who I thought was on par with the actors on this list.

I took the time to read the other nominees people suggested here and there are two non-whites (both from the same person) Hoon Lee from Banshee, who was indeed really good. Realisticly, that show is far to violent and obscure to get any recognition. That however has nothing to do with the skin colour of the actor. And also Lennie James from The Walking Dead, good actor and had interesting storyline, but for me it wasn’t a standout performance. And at least in my opinion it wasn’t on par with the actors on this list. But maybe you and others think differently about this.

So please, enlighten my ignorance and tell me who you (and others) think that are being passed over/ignored. This isn’t sarcastic in any way, I’m genuinely interested.

• le chat noir says:

Sweerie we know you are white but thank you ma. You can’t think of a non white supporting act simply because dark skin doesn’t register in your brain.tour long rant proves it. And that’s exactly what you share with folk who deny entry. Those who deny access and those withholding votes. You see I could name about 18 supporting acts with a bit of melanin and I don’t watch nearly as much telly as you do.lastly do your own research. Those acts are not hidden.

• Anna says:

There are people of color in literally every other Dream Nod list they made so far. Let’s direct our condemnation towards situations that actually warrant it.

5. matty says:

Again with the snubbing The Good Wife! Not a mention of Alan Cumming for what was probably his characters biggest season to date.

6. Simon says:

I liked Hugh Dancy on The Path

7. webly3 says:

Wow, these do not match my nominations. Clayne Crawford in Rectify and Christopher Eccleston in The Leftovers were tragically overlooked. Michael McKean rightly got a dream nomination though. I haven’t seen Outlander or Halt and Catch Fire yet (both are on my watchlist). So, I can’t fully judge this list. But, another Nashville dream nom seems to be a bit much.

8. Rebecca says:

No Jon Bernthal from Daredevil? He made season 2 to be honest.

9. Amanda says:

I totally agree about Tobias Menzies, Rory Kinnear, David Tennant, and Scoot McNairy. Jon Bernthal should totally be on the list as well as Ben Mendelsohn.

10. ScottJ says:

I just want to know if Martin Wallstrom will be back in Mr Robot. His name has been conspicuously missing from the cast announcements, and one of the trailers suggests that Willick is in hiding after being blamed for the big end of season hack.

11. Kat says:

Jonathan Jackson!!!!

12. abz says:

Ew, definitely no to Jonathan Jackson. He has plenty of good moments but endless crying and complaining and whining was just not entertaining to watch. I know the writing is mostly to blame but even that aside, I don’t find his performance award-worthy.
    I definitely agree however with David Tennant and Tobias Menzies. Seriously, the Outlander actors have got to be nominated this year.

13. Lore says:

David Tennant was flawless, perfection i dont know how netflix gets the better villains, but between him and Vincent Donofrio on daredevil wow

14. My choices:
    Tobias Menzies
    Alan Cumming
    David Tennant
    Joshua Jackson (The Affair(

Haven’t seen all of Better Call Saul yet and Halt and Catch Fire is on my list!

I love Hugh Dancy in The Path but I’m pretty sure he is submitting as lead.

15. Jason says:

Wait- what about the cast of American Crime? Those young actors, Joey Pollari and Connor Jessup, were amazing!

16. DarkDefender says:

David Tennant was the single scariest villain this past TV season.
    I’d add to this list:
    Chris Coy and Hoon Lee from Banshee. Coy literally killed it as Calvin and Lee brought Job to a whole new level.
    Also, Lennie James was a standout on TWD.

17. Temperance says:

Rory Kinner is astounding. With Eva Green (for actress) and Patty Lupone (for guest star), I’d live to see the best overall acted TV show on TV – Penny Dreadful – take home a triple crown.

18. Lisa says:

For me it’s Iain de Caestecker. I know it will never happen since Agents of SHIELD isn’t exactly the kind of show that Emmys like, but he’s been so good these past 2 years, I truly hope that he gets recognized somehow.

19. Jules says:

Joshua Jackson for “The Affair” and although I love Martin Wallstrom in “Mr. Robot”, gonna have to go with Christian Slater instead.

20. JMark (formerly JM) says:

Nestor Carbonell, Bates Motel
    Amir Arison, The Blacklist (people won’t agree, I know, but to me, he is the heart on the show. Without him, I probably wouldn’t care about the characters as much)

21. Jeanna says:

Tobias Menzies and Rory Kinnear are actor’s actors – just brilliant. So completely captivating every time they are on screen. David Tenant on Jessica Jones was the scariest villain I’ve ever seen on TV. Again, a testament to a great actor. Good wish list! Hope it comes true!

22. skyebright8 says:

While I don’t think the Emmy’s will ever recognise shows like Nashville or Agents of shield, I hope they do try to look into genre shows and recognise the acting in Penny Dreadful, Outlander and the MCU Netflix shows

23. BillC says: