Why Jen Lilley Is Leaving Days

Days of Our Lives' Jen Lilley on Exit: 'There's No One to Point a Finger At'

A week after the news broke that Jen Lilley was giving up her Days of Our Lives role of Theresa Donovan, she’s revealing why. “It came down to time and the sacrifices required to keep [the character] on the front burner,” the actress tweeted Monday. “Given the demanding production schedule a soap requires, that just wasn’t possible with the other commitments and opportunities I wanted to pursue.”

The General Hospital veteran went out of her way to make sure that Days fans knew that the show wasn’t the villain of the piece. In fact, there was no heavy. “I hate to dissatisfy our love for black-and-white explanations,” she wrote, “but there’s no one to point your finger at here. Days and I are parting company on the best of terms.”

Lilley also suggested that her departure from NBC’s daytime drama wasn’t necessarily a permanent one. “As we all know in the world of soaps, goodbye for now isn’t always goodbye forever,” she noted. “Who knows what the future has in store for Theresa?”

Actually, the actress herself knows exactly what the next six months — her last ones airing on Days — have in store for her mischievous alter ago. “My exit,” she teased, “will have you on the edge of your seat, laughing, crying, cheering, screaming, clapping and bewildered.”

How do you hope Theresa will leave Salem? Are you crossing your fingers that Lilley will eventually return? Hit the comments.

1. alistaircrane says:

I hate the character and the actress, so I’m glad to see her go. What turned me off Lilley was the Day Of Days 2014 interview she gave to Daytime Royalty. She came off extremely rude and fake. Grateful she’s off my soap!
    I also hated that Kim and Shane, such a wonderful supercouple, had such an evil little b!+ch for a daughter. They didn’t deserve that.

2. Eric7740 says:

Never cared for her character and still don’t, I won’t miss the character at all. The character of Brady deserves better than someone who almost killed his father and was willing to let him take the blame for it.

• wrstlgirl says:

Ditto!! I have no ill will for Jen Lilley but Theresa is awful. The whole Brady AND his father forgiving her was ridiculous.

• Karen Leigh says:

I would have liked her after she changed, but the girl talks so fast that I can barely understand her half the time.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Yeah sorry. The days of any soap opera having me on the edge of my seat are long gone. Especially not with this character.

4. Dude says:

Are we really calling an actress who was on GH for less than a year, a General Hospital “veteran”?

• Robin Leslie says:

I had the SAME thought, when I read the words “General Hospital veteran.” Who even remembers her as Maxie on GH? Although, I do remember that she did a great job filling in for the regular actress.

5. Dominique says:

i stopped watching days a while ago but i won’t be sad to see theresa go. she was hardly an exciting character and i’ve never much liked jen lilley, first with how she treated a group of fans when she was on general hospital, and then with all the comments she made about playing a character like theresa on days, and the values she wanted to keep while playing the role… girl, you’re playing a vixen who has no problem getting naked with everyone and starting fights. your values aren’t gonna win here.

6. Brenda Conner says:

Jen made me hate Theresa, so good acting. Good luck in the future.

7. PAAP says:

Wow! Allstalrcrane, The word that you chose to use today i.e. “hate”, is most definitely a very strong word to use for this fictional television character! You surely do need to look at that and very soon, too! Best of Luck with that viable process now, you hear~Enjoy!

8. Evelyn DiMarco says:

I think Theresa will go to jail for kidnapping her own son. Then if they want to bring her back she can get out of jail for time served or some technicality. I will miss her beautiful face. When an actress can make you hate and love, they are good!

9. Juanita says:

I don’t want Teresa Donavan BLACK TO LEAVE DOOL!!! I love her!!

10. Just saw her in an episode of Grey’s Anatomy! She is quite the actress :)

11. Kalina says:

It’s hard to believe that Jen Lille’s is rude and fake I hope being a star doesn’t go to her head she played Esther in a movie. I thought she is a Christian woman. I don’t know.

12. Fran van Gelder says:

Would love to see Theresa return she has made a big difference in the show. So sick of Brady being left standing at the altar

13. carolyn says:

Love the role Teresa has now, showed a person can change. Made Brady a better man also.

14. Kristy Goad says:

Lilly needs to return . Not liking how she leaves brady he doesnt deserve this yes a good story line but breaking my heart she will be missed but wished it ended a different way

15. PM says:

Poor Jen can’t handle 5 day work week like so many average people. Won’t miss her whiny paranoid character.

16. PM says:

Won’t miss her whiny paranoid character. She definitely was believable as Theresa so she has serious acting skills.

17. Joey Hibshman says:

Theresa will be missed I hope you bring her back or at the very least replace her character! Kinda tired of Brady always losing every girl he falls for. Once in awhile there should be a happy ending! Unhappy fan😞😞

18. Gloria Wargo says:

I have been watching ‘Days’ for 40yrs. I could write a short novel on the emotional roller coaster that this fabulous Soap had me on for all these years. It is the only Soap I stuck with. As far as Jen Lilley goes…I hated, loved, admired and adored her. I don’t like spoiler alerts and accidentally stumbled upon hers in reference to her leaving the show and it upset me. Her character has come a long way and her acting skills were ‘Spot on!’ The current story line of some young thug who is more powerful than Victor Kiriakis in a mob type of character is an insult to us viewers. A powerful thug can’t live without Jeannie Theresa Donovan? No other woman would do? His character hardly looked like he was ready to start a perfect family! Bottom line…story was too unbelievable. During this Holiday season we need some good news dear producers. Please give us fans some good news soon…On Hope Brady, Brady himself, Chad & Abigail. Adrianne & Lucas! There is a lot of mending and celebrating that needs to be done on ‘Days!” Please! Give your fans some ‘Feel good’ episodes! Final note: Thank you to all who helped to make this a Fantastic ‘Soap’ with so many great story lines and your cast of Actors and actresses through the years! What a Fabulous ride it has been! 💖

19. Amy cruz says:

Really miss you on NBC day time.