Fall TV Preview

Supergirl Video: Melissa Benoist Weighs In on Big Move, Show's 'Most Important' Relationship

If she can deflect bullets, a simple move across the dial won’t rattle Supergirl.

Speaking with TVLine at The CW’s recent Upfront event, CBS transplant Melissa Benoist weighed in on the superhero series’ new homes, plural, for Season 2 (including the production’s relocation to Vancouver), saying that holding onto the Mondays-at-8 time slot should make for a smooth transition.

Benoist then goes on to juuuust barely hint at what she knows about the season-ending space pod mystery, and reveal even less about the show’s central romance. But stay tuned, because there is a love-fest to be witnessed, when the topic turns to Supergirl‘s “most important” relationship.

Want more scoop on Supergirl, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. PatriciaLee says:

IMHO, the most important Supergirl relationship is her and her boss. Delightful.

• Norda says:

It will be something lame like “Kara and Alex’s sisterly relationship is the most important”. One huge issue I have with the show is that Kara is always referring to her adoptive parents as “your mom” and “your dad”. So that wouldnt make them even less sisterly. I get that Kara had her own parents, but come on, can we try to establish SOME family for Kara outside of Krypton? Do they think that having her call the Danvers Mom and Dad will confuse us when she has scenes with Laura Benanti and calls her mom too?
      Also……..LIGHTEN HER HAIR! Supergirl is a true blonde…..not an ashy blonde……and CHANGE those god awful boots! Thank you! <3

• Osiris says:

But it’s not like with Clark Kent where the only parents he knew were Jonathan and Martha. Kara was a teenager when she left home so to her Alura and Zor-El will always be mom and dad while Jeremiah and Eliza were just the nice people who gave her a home. Really it’s no different than the relationship Barry Allen has with Joe West. For Barry, Henry Allen will always be dad and Joe will always be Joe.

• darquewanderer says:

And while their at it, change her back to the original DC Supergirl. Give her the body of a woman.

• msemmyjones says:

It makes sense that she thinks of them as foster parents, but thinks if Alex truly as a sister. She had parents back on Krypton. She loves her foster parents, but they don’t replace the parents she had on Krypton. Alex, on the other hand, is her only sister. There’s no one she has lost that Alex replaces. There’s no reason for her to differentiate between Alex and anybody else.

• No, it’s not. It’s Kara and Alex. I love the mentor relationship Kara has with Cat, but Alex will be forever the number #1 relationship for Kara, nothing will ever change this.

• PatriciaLee says:

I was saying for my viewing pleasure, the most important relationship is Kara and Cat. They are fun. The other relationships are too much angst. I prefer a lighter touch. My most favorite new series was Benched.

• Ashley says:

I agree. They dynamic between Kara and Cat is the best part of the show. I’ve very concerned about a lack of Calista Flockhart now that they are moving to Vancouver.

• Carrie says:

I really like Cat. She easily could’ve been the stereotypical cold, powerful female boss, but she’s given Kara/Supergirl a lot of great advice and genuinely cares. She also has the best one-liners.

2. darkangel200 says:

She’s adorable! I agree that the dynamic between Kara and Alex is the most important relationship in the show, as well as the most interesting. Thanks for this! Have been waiting so long for some news.

3. Max says:

My guess it’s not a who but a what in the capsule. It’s got to be Krypto, the Superdog.

Please, no more James and Kara. That relationship is so forced without any chemistry. I’d rather see Kara with Winn or Cat’s son, Adam. Now there’s some real chemistry.

• wgsecretary says:

Well, Adam is played by her real-life husband, so I’d hope there is some chemistry there! :) But, I prefer her with Winn, personally.

• Osiris says:

The producers have said it is a person int the pod. Unless they were just trying to throw us off the scent. I think it will be Zor-El, her father.

• Jason says:

Chemistry is entirely subjectivity and within fandom its mostly “I see chemistry with the cute white guys” so surprise suprise you see it with Winn even though he has said some pretty mean things to her just becasue she did not like him

• Jewels says:

Oh I see the chemistry between Kara and James. Of course it could be because I wish I had chemistry with Mechad…lol

• Guess says:

Then again, Alex and Hank have the most terrific chemistry and neither of them is a cute white guy.

• Jason says:

Hank plays her paternal figure…roles fandom are comfortable with seeing black people in. Romance is where you start to get the “I don’t see chemistry between them for some reason” but we all know the reason

• Ralph says:

Nope. Chemistry is either there or it isn’t. Stop trying to racebait. She has zero chemistry with James. She’s dorky, he’s Mister smooth. Winn had the courage to tell her his feelings straight up. James couldn’t make up his mind until the next to the last episode. TBH, he has more chemistry with Lucy than Kara. At least Lucy is mature and sophisticated. Kara and Winn fit together not because of ethnicity (despite your SJW mentality) but because they both have a similar dorky sense of humor, outlook on life, and he can bring more skills to the team than a 21st century paparazzi.

• Jason says:

You’re naive if you think “chemistry is either there or isnt” its subjective people see what they want to see thats a fact..and no one is race baiting..thats just you uncomfortable taking about anything that has to do with race. and you clearly did not pay attention if you felt James was mister smooth when his entire storyline was about him fearful it said that in the stronger together speech.But you keep thinking everyone is super sensitive so you can rail against “sjws” in the comments section

• Ralph says:

Chemistry is NOT what an outsider WANTS to exist. It’s whether or not you can see them as having enough in common or enough of a connection to find each other stimulating enough for a long term relationship. Sure you’re race baiting. It’s typical of you PC nazis to scream racism like a parrot every time someone sees a problem with anything involving a POC. For future reference. You can dislike a person of a different race without being labeled a racist. It’s okay to dislike someone of a different gender or sexual orientation without being labeled a sexist or a homophobe. It’s when you lump them all together that you get into trouble.

4. aww how cute is Melissa? I love the bond she and Chyler have..you can see how close they are…and yes, Kara and Alex are without doubt the most important relationship..and hopefully this won’t ever change! Can’t wait for Season 2!

They just need to do something with James, because that guy is pretty useless.

5. Ms thang says:

As long as the creators of “Supergirl” steer clear of arrow, the series will be fine. The latter is toxic and should be avoided atcall costs!

6. Phun says:

I enjoy the sisterly bonds of Kara and Alex. That’s what makes the show so special. Also, I like the mentor-mentee relationship between Cat and Kara/Supergirl. So glad that Calista will be there for second season even if it might be part time. Can’t wait as more info about what we can expect in season 2.

7. The Kaibosh says:

A brave and positive spin on what is ultimately a failed network show.

• Phun says:

I guess we’ll all be seeing more of your hate for this so called ‘failed network show’. SMH

• truth says:

Clam down it wasn’t hate it was the truth. Lets not pretend Supergirl performed who CBS wanted or expected it too. Doesn’t mean it is not a decent show it just didn’t live up the g hype.

• KC says:

It ended as well as Quantico and Blind spot….I t he end all were no wrong around a 1.3 rating….so I guess they are failed network shows as well?

• Phun says:

KC- correct! Supergirl was the 4th highest rated freshman drama after Quantico, Blindspot and LiP, yet because the first 2 were on different networks, they were renewed with those 1.3’s and below. CBS has different standards for the renewal of their shows.

• Ralph says:

It wasn’t the ratings. The licensing fees were costing CBS a fortune. The show was running 3 million per episode. The CW is half owned by Warner Bros and they can cut costs. It’s going to need some tooling beyond cost trimming if it wants to survive though. Cut some othe cast (Lucy and James) and use Cat Grant sparingly. Get any mention of Superman out of the show unless they want to bring him in as Clark Kent. I’d rather not see him than have him disrespected like this show has done. Just showing his boots on a slab at the DEO? Pathetic!!

• Phun says:

It is hate! Supergirl was the highest rated freshman drama on 2015-16 for CBS and performed better than Code Black and CM:BB, which were renewed. Look up the ratings for all of the shows for this past season if you don’t believe me. It just didn’t fit into the ‘old folks network’ targetted audience and was pushed down to CBS’s sister network, THE CW, which caters to the younger crowd!

• The Kaibosh says:

Is the show on CBS anymore? No? Then its a failed network show. Spin all you want.

• Lauren says:

what i don’t get is why does this “Kaibosh” person come into articles about a show s/he obviously doesn’t like just to trash it? do we come to his/her favorite restaurant and complain about the happy meal toys? It just seems like very unhealthy behavior, going out of ones way to spread negativity. like what u like and let others like what they like. what a douche.

8. Aww, Melissa is such a sweetheart ❤ Supergirl mentioned sunny Kara Danvers, but look at that sunny Melissa Benoist, she’s such a joy and really talented (and looks so angelic here). I’m so happy we’re getting a Supergirl season 2 and more of her.

I absolutely love what she said about Kara & Alex and on her relationship with Chyler. Kara & Alex have the deepest, strongest and it’s the most important relationship on the show (that is IMO the true love story of the show). I know there’s drama, but it makes sense, it’s feels real and they’re sisters no matter what and will always love & protect one another. I absolutely adore that relationship. You can tell Melissa & Chyler really do love each other lol so cute.

9. Yenu35 says:

Meliss is so great. I love all her interviews. Love what she said about her favorite relationship being the Kara Alex one cos really for me that’s what makes the show so unique even though I love Kara’s relationships with Cat and her friendship with James and Winn too. As for a romance I prefer it be with someone outside the office as office romances turn sour pretty soon.

10. ukmitchy says:

This is weird, I get sound for the first 2 seconds and then as soon as it cuts to the interview, it goes dead. Obviously other people can hear it just fine. Bizarre.

11. Joey Padron says:

Good interview with Melissa. Excited for season 2 and crossovers with other DC characters!

12. "A" says:

The pods occupant is Kara Zor-L aka Power Girl ( also know as Karen Starr ) from Krypton Two ( think Earth Two ) and she will be played by Melissa Benoit, in a short blond bob wig.

13. sam hain says:

As long as they keep writing the men as effeminate losers, the show will fail.

14. Carrie says:

I’m really glad the CW picked up the show for a second season. I think it’ll be a really good fit on that network. They should get Tom Welling to guest star.

15. rick says:

lets face it. The only reason olsen is on the show is so the writers have their black man chasing white women. The show would only be better with him gone

• Ralph says:

The producer (Greg Berlanti) is obsessed with sticking an Interracial relationship in every one of his shows. It’s okay to use them sporadically, they exist, but with him it seems like an agenda. IR relationships are still rare and the public doesn’t like being manipulated.