Person of Interest Releases Series Finale Photos, 'Suicide Mission' Teaser

It’s all (remaining) hands on deck, as Team Machine launches its final — suicidal? — offensive against Samaritan, as seen in the first photos from Person of Interest‘s Season 5/series finale.

In “return 0,” airing Tuesday, June 21 on CBS, “The team must embark on one last suicide mission to prevent Samaritan from destroying The Machine and cementing its hold over mankind,” the official synopsis reads.

Of note, all the photos are set in the team’s subway lair — and as we saw in the final season premiere’s prologue, narrated by (we now realize) The Machine, that hideaway will be left in ruins when all is said and done.

Says co-showrunner Jonah Nolan, “The working title of the episode — before we settled on ‘return 0,’ which is a vestige of my old days as a coder — had been, ‘Everyone Dies Alone,’ which reflected our mood at that moment.” But, co-showrunner Greg Plageman interjects, “We thought that we was too upbeat!”

TVLine will have more finale preview as the date draws near, but in the meantime get some of your last looks at Finch, Reese, Fusco and Shaw.

1. CalebFillion says:

I’m so not ready to let this amazing show go..

• Paul D says:

I agree wholeheartedly. This has been one of the greatest series I’ve ever seen on network TV! The characters and stories have been absolutely phenomenal! Its’ a shame that no other station will pick this show up!

2. NotCool says:

My Series finale was EP 10 , will be sitting the last 3 episodes out in honour of Root , mite watch in a year or to and using Roots voice for the Machine is just creepy

• dumomt says:

Take a cold shower..

• Seriously, so many people upset over this. Its ridiculous when its exactly what Root wanted as her main love was the machine. She will live forever now. The beginning of this season almost seems to indicate they won but died.

• Hannah Brassil says:

Root was killed off, the machine is only mimicking her, there’s no part of Root in the machine so therefore she’s very much dead and gone, it’s not like it took her dna and incorporated it into its own system or something. Can’t understand how anyone could say that she lives on!!
          Bye Root.

• John jy says:

Watch the episode in which Root is killed about a few minutes before she gets shot and she explains this for you.

• Murica! says:

Cry me a river.

3. Kevin K says:

Can’t wait for the final three episodes of POI and the series truly deserves to end after five mind blowing years.

4. Normandy says:

Only took three posts to get to the stereotypical TV Line “a character died so I’m never watching again” whining. Is that a record?

5. ScrubsGuy says:

There’s really only one move left for Team Machine – a suicide mission to expose the existence of Samaritan to the world at large. Then, it’s everybody else’s problem! I guess Finch made good on his promise to Reese at the beginning – they’ll run the numbers until they end up dead.

6. JO says:

I love this show and I am going to miss it terribly. Even when the writers could have thrown up their hands and stumbled with the last episodes, knowing it was cancelled, they have written compelling story lines. I love the cast… and the premise (which is eerily prescient). Please recast Caveziel, Shaw, Amy Acker and Harold in something.

7. Chd says:

Is camryn manheim coming back before the show ends? Gotta wrap her story up somehow.

8. Lee says:

I hope the final three episodes put the attention back on Finch and Reese. We’ve wasted far too much time on Root and Shaw this season (as well as in all the other seasons). Fusco has been great, as expected. Fusco has come so far since season one. I think I’m in a good place with his development and I am comfortable saying goodbye to him. I just need more from John and Harold for that all important series finale closure. I haven’t forgotten about Bear. I’m a little miffed at him for not running the other way with Lionel when he had to have smelled death. I’ll get over it, I just need a moment.

• Ro says:

I love Fusco’s labels: “glasses”, “coo coo clock”, “cocoa puff”, etc… I will miss this show.

9. JbSmooove says:

SONOFABITCH, I’m not ready to loose this show.

10. Tutuche says:

I am quite disappointed by the death of Elias. You could expect a different fate. That Root does not surprise me because the character (and destiny) was too tied to the machine.
    Her death was almost inevitable because her character could not have a happy ending because too obsessed with the machine. But Elias, I have seen him become a kind of new mentor / admin for the machine. A sequel is open for POI if one day they want to continue but with a new team. an idea for replacements (admin and assets)?

• PatriciaLee says:

They could reveal that some inside man shot Elias with a thingie on his forehead, and he knew to play dead, letting them take over helping Harold. I’d accept it in any future reboot. It’s no more far out than our Machine.

11. Adin Caffery says:

I am sick that it was cancelled ! Damn CBS. I think it is the best show that has ever been on TV.

12. Joe says:

I think bear and one person survive….likely fusco because he on many ways is the avatar of the audience (having been in the dark so long) plus he has a kid…he will adopt bear and maybe he and new admin/team pick up fight…still have control, Zoe,the thief that helped them,the the bounty hunter, the guy who’s brother was a hacker, the eccentric billionaire tech guy, etc to join fusco on team machine 2.0…no way Shaw or Reece survive…Finch maybe…

13. Tatharnio says:

So, we have Shaw looking irritated, Harold looking introspective, John looking emotionless, and Fuscoe looking perplexed. Seems about right. LOL

14. sand49 says:

I am really going to miss this show.Before they go I wish they would tell us who Harold Wren/Finch/Osprey is. What was in the book he gave his father just bird drawings?

15. Kathy Albright says:

Not suicide! Sacrifice. Isn’t this what every soldier faces?’

16. B. Patrick says:

Person Of Interest has been great since day one! I really hate to see it go off the air. I hadn’t been so excited about a show in a long time! All the main characters, including those who didn’t stay on the entire season was great.
    I am happy that at least ” in my book” the season ended up while still on top! Thanks also to the writers and everyone else involved! It’s been a great ride but a sad day.

17. Phil says:

Bear lives Bring it Back this was my best show to watch