Fall TV Preview

Fall TV's First Scoops: A Grey's Baby, Vampire Diaries' New Big Bad and More Early Intel From 18 Returning Series

Another broadcast season has come and gone, and even though a few finales are still coming down the pipe (We see you, Bones!), it’s never too early to look ahead.

To that end, Team TVLine spoke with 18 executive producers and/or cast members for the (very early) scoop on this fall’s budding mysteries, including: Arrow’s illuminating flashbacks, Grimm‘s (literal) magic stick, NCIS‘ post-DiNozzo future, The Vampire Diaries‘ handsy new villain and Quantico‘s plans for CIA-bound Alex.

(Side note: Before you point out that Bones isn’t returning until midseason, know that this preview was compiled prior to Fox’s post-Upfront announcement. But we kept it in anyway… because we think you deserve the scoop.)

Browse our fall preview gallery below — which also contains major scoop about Grey’s Anatomy, Empire and Grimm — then drop a comment with your own hopes for the coming season.

1. Kia says:

Thanks for the Bones scoop! Really appreciate that you still included the show. I’m excited about the final season and yet not ready to say goodbye.

2. UGH! says:

Of course. It is set up “gallery” style. >:(

3. Kevin K says:

Done with Blindspot now that the series is moving to Wednesday @ 8 in the Fall after Weller arrested Jane Doe to find out the truth about her “real identity”. As for Quantico, if Henry Czerny is going to play a major role in Season 2 is he the NEW Liam O’Connor?

• SHONDA LAUREL says:

I really wish the Quantico EP would stop trying to be cute with these shocking twist and just write a good coherent story.

• Jerry G says:

We’ve given after Season 1 (though we did find it one of the better comedies this past season). Seriously, there was just a pattern in each episode: make one character look bad, team-up two other characters in an alliance, make another character look rogue but justified, make another character look misunderstood, etc. Then, rotate the characters around into other roles for the next episode, creating a “brilliant twist!” It was making our heads burst trying to remember who was aligning with whom this week, who mistrusted whom, etc. And let’s not forget….these are the worst agents ever!

• SHONDA LAUREL says:

And how can he say that the FBI is about trusting people when ever other word last season was sbout how they didn’t really know each other.

• le chat noir says:

It’s a couple of twist too many. I think the show runners are solving problems along because I feel like it’s sometimes lacks coherent structure. Its fun and all. I think there are way too many skinny p on there with bright shiny teeth. So much for diversity.

• SHONDA LAUREL says:

I think the full season pick up last year caught them off guard. I am hoping since he knows now he can write a story that makes sense.

• BarbaraDarlin says:

Without all the damned confusing flashbacks. I don’t want to figure out the timeline based on what they are wearing!

4. Bwhit says:

Blindspot sounds pretty interesting because I have wanted all of them to work together without secrets.

Chicago Fire I don’t want Jimmy to leave but it’s Chicago Fire so I’m sure he will. I think Casey and Dawson are really going to get very attached to Louie and then his biological family will come out of woodwork and take him back right when they get comfortable.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah to me those CF spoilers look horrid. I’m not looking forward to the Casey/Dawson/Louie drama at all. My forecast is different from yours though. I figure since they are just fostering Louie a permanent family will come along, maybe biological, maybe not and it will end with them getting married in order to legally adopt him. The big conflict with that is them working together so one of them will have to quit. Hope I’m wrong because this is just more of the same blah blah with them.

• Bwhit says:

I’m also confused about the Severide thing because the finale I saw had the creeper sitting there with a knife and Stella and Severide completely unaware. So they are giving away that Severide is going to fight him? Okay, I mean I expected him to but still. I can’t remember where I read it (maybe THR) but Olmstead alluded to the fact that they might put Gabby back on Ambo so I guess that means they could get married because he isn’t her supervisor. I just don’t see Louie being around past the first 5 episodes for some reason.

• wrstlgirl says:

I predicted Dawson back to ambo which makes the whole fire fighter story arc a complete waste of time, at least to me anyway :-) Figured she’d take the spot left by Jimmy.

• Bwhit says:

Agree. I was never a fan of it to begin with because it literally came out of nowhere.

• Jennifer says:

I would have rather seen her go to Medical school like it was toyed with in Season …1? That would have been a natural transition to Chicago Med.

• wrstlgirl says:

Good point.

• Mari says:

I agree with Jennifer, they should have had her go to medical school to tie in with Chicago Med instead of the male ex-fire fighter they currently have.

• fiberlicious says:

For me, the spoiler is S & S separating – now we know drugboy didn’t kill either of them.

• Cas says:

Sad. I was hoping he would kill Stella even though her character was just made a regular.

5. Gail says:

I hope they will explain why Barry on The Flash saving his mother and changing the present apparently has had no effect on Arrow. With Legends they can say they were in the time stream when the changes occurred and therefore were not changed.

• Nicole says:

I think the only change in Arrow would be they might not know Barry. He never had any impact on Oliver’s life.

• clintbrew says:

barry made oliver a mask starlabs wouldnt have made a cure for deathstroke miracuru
        since felicity didnt go visits starlabs to visit barry who in a coma and barry went the league of assassins to rescue team arrow and the vandal savage stuff

6. Lyn says:

18 shows and I only watch 2 of them. I’m beginning to think I’m outside of the loop.

• le chat noir says:

Most people watch shows during their daily commute. Try it ma

• Jennifer says:

Really? How? Not everyone lives in a city with mass transit. I have to drive. Kinda hard to watch TV while driving. And the commute is only 30 mins.

• Anna says:

Most? That doesn’t sound right, even in places with mass transit. I’ve commuted via interstate train and city public transit in a few different places, and the majority people are not watching TV shows.

7. Lizzie says:

I really hope they get the flashbacks right on Arrow next season. They’ve been pretty bad the last couple of seasons and they need to step up because it’s affecting the flow of the episodes. Otherwise I’m intrigued by this ex-marine turned vigilante.

• wrstlgirl says:

I FF through the flashbacks. I could care less about them at this point :-)

• Lizzie says:

I don’t FF through them but I want to. They are so unbelievably boring and really badly acted. The actors in this seasons flashbacks were the worst I’ve seen. It’s weird because I used to love the flashbacks in season 1 and for about half of season 2 and then it felt like they lost direction. But I’m still waiting to see how Oliver becomes the ruthless killer we saw in the pilot and I’m still hopeful about Bratva/Russia.

• B says:

I think you mean that you *couldn’t* care less about them. Saying you could care less means you still care.

• Murica! says:

The flashbacks have been horrible for the last two seasons. I hope the writers can redeem themselfs with the Russia storyline.

8. Murica! says:

I wasn’t a fan of either of the new faces on NCIS. Both should leave. Just have Fornell join the team.

The last two seasons of Arrow have been really bad. I hope season 5 will be better. Looking forward to Russia.

• Larc says:

I hope Gary Glasberg wakes up and realizes his apparent replacement for DiNozzo is all wrong. Like his Mrs. Casper Milquetoast replacement for kickass Ziva. Tony was a fun guy and his replacement needs to be likewise. Hint to Glasberg: Now that Limitless has been canceled, Jake McDorman is available.

• John NYC says:

One for one replacements for iconic characters is a recipe for disaster. Copy Michael’s Tony? Unlikely.

Better to go in another direction.

• Night Owl says:

I actually like Duane Henry’s character Clayton, but I’m not as fond of Sarah Clarke’s Tess.

9. Dj says:

Kind of the think the new Vigilante on Arrow might be punisher like.

10. kmw says:

Thank you for keeping Bones in there. Despite their season finale being in July it is going to be a long wait. On the other hand Peterson didn’t really give too much away ,but as long as most of their last 12 episodes are focused on Booth and Brennan I will be happy!!!

11. shutuprob says:

I just finished watching season 1 of Quantico on Monday — let me say, I had figured out that the real terrorist was Liam by about episode 3 (it’s all about access, access, access to everyone involved and the only other person with that kind of access to everyone was Miranda, and it was never gonna be her), which was why I started falling behind in the second half of the season after — and I wasn’t pleased by Alex being recruited by the CIA. The show had already hung a lantern on the fact that she could no longer go undercover meant that she was less desirable to the FBI than she used to be — so being recruited by the CIA just defies logic to me because, again, she’s so high profile that such a move by the CIA doesn’t make sense even from a double-reverse hide-in-plain-sight perspective. She can’t be an Annie Walker, an intelligence-gatherer and because she’s the public face of American honor, American anti-terrorism efforts and whatnot, she’s a prime target. IMO, the only real jobs that make sense are her working her way up in an FBI field office, preferrably under Miranda or working at Quantico itself. It strikes me that she could be in a similar position to Mystique in X-Men: Apocalypse or Mark Watney at the end of The Martian, as a hero to the new generation entering their respective fields. With the only other realistic option being OPR — the Office of Professional Responsibility aka Internal Affairs. I suppose that *if* the CIA is recruiting her specifically to a project to root out who Claire Haas might actually be working with/for, I’d buy it, but short of that, if she’s being recruited for regular CIA work, this will just destroy its credibility faster than you can say “Prison Break,” or “Scandal” or, umm, “How To Get Away With Murder.”

• bigdede says:

Alex picture was all over the news. It doesn’t make any sense for the CIA to want her. I stopped watching this show because it makes no sense. I also guessed Liam was the bad guy because of the way he wasn’t trusting Alex and had Ryan following/investigating her.

• Quantico Fan says:

Yeah I Agree with you .

12. Jessica says:

Oh pleaseee NO pregnant Amelia.

Plus too much kids already. Another pregnancy storyline is so not needed.

• bigdede says:

I agree. I don’t feel like seeing Amelia whine all season worrying about her baby dying. Or see Owen’s crybaby face all season while he yells at Riggs for Amelia’s baby issues.

13. Joey Padron says:

Thanks for first scoops for fall tv season. Good scoops about Arrow, Lucifer, Gotham, and Legends of Tomorrow next seasons. Excited to see new seasons this fall!

• Jorf says:

I Lol’d at Wendy Mericle having to clarify who Taiana was in the Arrow scoop hahaha, she knows fans would’ve been like “Taiana who?”

14. Ana says:

So looking forward to season 2 of Blindspot. Everyone having the same amount of inflation and fighting f a common goal sounds amazing.

15. Michelle says:

Can Guggenheim just give us at least one season without any romance or relationship drama? Especially since he’s terrible at it.

16. KayCeeCee says:

Grimm: I’m excited to see what happens next. Nick has used that stick on Monroe, Eve and himself; although only in Eve’s case was it used purposely.

• Lillian says:

I don’t know, I thought he kept it on himself on purpose, knowing the fight to come and the possibility he’d be seriously hurt if not killed. That’s what ended up happening, in any case.

17. Britt says:

I’m so mad at Grimm because it’s so good.
    It’s really exciting, it has many parallel storylines you can just randomly pick and follow in any episode.
    Minus, and a big minus is the useless love story. Honestly, if Nick was asexual, it would be just the same, if not more exciting, ’cause there would be more time for action.

So next season: an asexual zombie Nick kicks ass.

(Juliette dies as she was supposed to – Bitsie looks for another job – Adalind goes evil as she is supposed to be, and the babies were just a dream.)

18. Lala says:

Thanks for the scoop…very excited about Lucifer, HTGAWM.

19. Rob Horine says:

The female ace pilot in the 40s, sounds like Zinda Blake (AKA Lady Blackhawk). Since she’s a full bodied woman (and a lot of fun to be with. Just read Birds of Prey comic), she could be played by Molly Tarlov from Akward.

20. Jack says:

No Flash, waaaahhh!

21. Trevor says:

So Lucifer and Amendial have a mother … Is she also Maze’s mother? Or does god have a side piece or several side pieces?
    Is Luifer’s mum god’s wife or concubine or baby mama?

Note to self… make sure this stupid show is not one of the shows that i tape.

22. Marci says:

If Michael is dead on Jane the Virgin, that show will be dead to me. After all of the twists and turns and teases, there has to be a payoff at some point, even on a telenovela. And if I don’t get the payoff I’ve been impatiently waiting for, I’m done with this show.

23. "A" says:

I know it”s not apart of the show at this time but is there any chance Bruce”s doppelganger is actually from say Earth 2 or 3 or 5 ?

24. AnnieM says:

Gotham: My guess is that the doppelganger is a clone of either Bruce or *Thomas*, maybe. Speaking of doppelgangers…so THE WRITERS of The Vampire Diaries have no idea what’s going to happen next season – lol. THAT doesn’t bode well, does it?

25. Jacob says:

Grimm is the best tv show ever

26. The article announces in an opportunist tweet, trying to arouse attention, using a very similar campaign slogan to Universal Studios to promote the premiere of BJB Baby, you should have used another text.
    It would be hypocritical of me to express my hopes on the next season of Grey’s Anatomy because I have not seen exactly 440 days ago Grey’s Anatomy and I intend to stay that way.I would just watch the series if the character of Derek back, but as it is impossible can say that I will never see the new seasons of Grey’s Anatomy. Therefore I will not express my hopes on the development of the series.
    Oh and of course Martin Henderson is none other McDreamy, it is impossible to have another McDreamy, the mold was broken,……… it was broken.

27. Rosember says:

I’m so excited for Grimm, I wonder what is the magic stick going to unlock.