SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Premiere Ratings

Ratings: SYTYCD and Mistresses Down From Previous Premieres

Fox’s So You Think You Can Dance kicked off its “Next Generation” season on Monday with 3.7 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating, up from its Season 12 finale (2.4 mil/0.8) but down from its previous premiere (4 mil/1.3), hitting what must be all-time lows for a season opener.

TVLine readers gave the kid-centric edition an average grade of “D+.”

Leading out of that, Houdini & Doyle (2.1 mil/0.5) slipped 20 percent and a tenth to season lows.

Over on ABC, The Bachelorette (5.9 mil/1.6) was down 11 and 20 percent from its season opener. Mistresses opened Season 4 with 3.1 mil and a 0.7, up from its finale (2.7 mil/0.6) but down from its previous premiere (3.8 mil/0/9), both of which aired on a Thursday.

Elsewhere, CBS’ Person of Interest (5.4 mil/0.8) dipped week-to-week and NBC’s Stanley Cup Finals coverage (3.8 mil/1.2) was down sharply from last year’s Game 1 (5.6 mil/1.8).

1. platypus says:

My niece and I love, love, love So You Think You Can Dance. But neither of us wanted to watch a bunch of kids dance for weeks on end. I’m sure they are talented but absolutely no interest in it.

2. PeterInLA says:

I suspect SYTYCD will continue to decline due to the changes this season. It’s a shame.

• Ray says:

Yes, SYTYCD ratings will only plummet and deservedly so. Kids are the death knell for this once great summer show. The producers have made one stupid decision after another and deserve what will likely be a cancelation.

• Ma says:

Jump the shark moment. Did Nigel learn nothing from American Juniors? Or Simon making little kids cry on X Factor?

• The ratings had already dropped before this new format was introduced. Changing the format is an attempt to save the show that was already sinking. I for one am enjoying this new format. In fact, the show hit an all-time low in ratings as reported by TVLine last year.

3. iakovos says:

No love for SYTYCD junior edition. Sorry.

So glad MISTRESSES is back. Looks like a good summer is in store.

4. Shaun says:

How is Bachelorette doing so poorly?Jojo is probably the best lead in years.

• Max says:

Watch UNREAL on LIFETIME. It’ll showshow you the real Bachelorette drama. Then read Reality Steve and you can find out how the Bachelorette ends. People just go on that show hoping to finish 3rd or 4th so they can score the publicity coup of The Bachelor

5. Allie says:

I’m a mom. I love my kids. But I have no interest in watching kids dance or cook or sing… I do it ALL DAY in real life! And I CERTAINLY have no interest in watching stage moms! These shows need to be on the kids channels or have mini seasons of their own. I didn’t watch last night and won’t watch this season and I suspect there won’t be a new season next year. It was fun while it lasted, SYTYCD.

6. Max says:

I don’t want to see little kids dancing. Save that for Nickelodeon. Are they going to criticize kids & make them cry? This seems likelike something pedophiles would like. I’ve also read that a lot of the contestants were associated with Dance Mom’s & one of those kids is going to be a judge?

7. Amanda says:

It didn’t help that it was a holiday.

8. Kay says:

I’m not watching just don’t find the kids all that interesting. Hope this version doesn’t kill my favorite summer show; a show that helped young adults break into the competitive world of professional dance.

9. Richard Wilson says:

The original concept was our favorite show. Last season we watched the first two episodes and then couldn’t take it anymore. I have no interest in watching kids dance. Bring back the original or get the hell off TV. It’s a waste of your time slot.

• gayle burns says:

I loved it with the kids. Granted I had my doubts at first, but you gotta give them more credit than you say, they learned, they even created their own dances for one show!, no tears, and just as good as the all stars. I was so impressed with this show this season. not even a break down of emotions such as I have seen with the older kids, these children deserved much credit and parents of them, you should be so proud