Ratings: Roots Opens Strong, Thunder/ Warriors NBA Game Sets TNT Record

The Memorial Day premiere of History’s Roots miniseries drew 5.3 million total viewers, representing the No. 1 scripted mini premiere on cable since 2013 (A+E Networks’ Bonnie & Clyde). The four-part, eight-hour event continues tonight at 9/8c, following an encore of Part 1.

Because someone will ask, though apples and oranges: ABC’s original, eight-night Roots miniseries debuted to 28.8 million viewers back in January 1977.

In other Monday cable ratings, TNT’s broadcast of the NBA Western Conference Finals Game 7 match-up between the Oklahoma City Warriors Thunder and the Golden State Warriors averaged 15.9 million total viewers, setting a cable-TV record for an NBA game and marking the most watched telecast in TNT’s 28-year history.

1. Pam says:

oh dear Every Roots mention makes me think of that tall pretty brunette from CBS show and the saddest thing is that POI is coming to an end and there’s still not a single mention of a Root spinoff. What is Jonah thinking? This is like the most perfect female character of the past decade it would be a crime to let her go with POI. Save Root or something

2. Kevin K says:

Golden State Warriors truly deserves to win the series against OKC and came back from a 3-1 deficit and moving on to the NBA Finals against the Cleveland Cavaliers…again.

3. Whatevah says:

It’s Golden State Warriors and Oklahoma City Thunder

4. maregolden says:

I saw the original Roots. I recorded this but I am hesitant to watch it because the first one was just so awesome. Anyone have any input they can give me?

• Viewer says:

I wish they’d re-air the original so I can compare. I’m sure I watched as a kid but don’t remember. From everything I’ve read this version is very different. Episode 1 does have the iconic scene of Kunta being beaten because he won’t call himself Toby. This one seems like 4 mini movies with different directors for each night.

• Shira Simon says:

Haven’t watched the new one yet, but I can tell you the original’s production values do NOT hold up by today’s standards.

One “change” I am aware of is the slave owner’s name. I put change in quotes because Waller (used this time) is the name in the book. So I suspect many “changes” along those lines will be included.

5. Viewer says:

I found it a strange choice that they showed Kunta speaking perfect English in Africa (I realize for TV) but then he couldn’t speak English when he was in Virginia. I didn’t know that Africans were enslaving each other (if that part is true)…

• Carla Krae says:

That part is true, yes. More powerful tribes would conquer smaller ones and take and sell slaves.

• Shira Simon says:

Slavery existed in Africa for millenia. It was a common solution for prisoners of war. Originally, this was seen the same way; not as blacks selling blacks to whites, but as one tribe selling captives to another. Few whites understood that the Africans were more divided than Europe. It took the increased numbers and organization of the 18th century for the tribes to realize something was very wrong. But the idea of Africans who helped slave traders being traitors developed in the Americas.

6. Shira Simon says:

Apples and oranges indeed. Besides the differences in options and the way we watch today, there was a massive snowstorm that week. An ABC executive was quoted (roughly) saying that a third of America is black, a third was going to watch anyway, and a third was snowed in.

7. Angela says:

Great facts listed about American history between commercials.