GLOW TV Series

G.L.O.W. 'Revival' From OITNB Creator Jenji Kohan Ordered at Netflix

Jenji Kohan is getting out of prison and into the ring.

Netflix has placed a 10-episode order for the Orange Is the New Black creator’s G.L.O.W., a scripted comedy series inspired by the ’80s phenom of the same name (which stands for Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling).

RELATED Gilmore Girls Revival at Netflix Gets Official Title, Teaser Poster

Launched in 1986 as a professional wrestling league for women, G.L.O.W. transitioned into an unscripted syndicated series (1986–90). After the show’s demise, the franchise lived on in the form of events and parties.

Netflix’s quasi reboot — set in Los Angeles and showcasing “big hair and body slams” — is being dubbed a “fictionalized story of an out-of-work actress who finds one last attempt to live her dreams in the form of a weekly series about female wrestlers.”

Liz Flahive (Homeland) and Carly Mensch (Orange is the New Black), who created this new G.L.O.W. incarnation, will serve as showrunners and EPs alongside Kohan and fellow OITNB vet Tara Herrmann.

Sneak a peek at some vintage G.L.O.W. below.

1. Rachel says:

Yeah I remember GLOW. Wow, just wow.

2. Wordsmith says:

In anyone else’s hands I would immediately cry misogyny, but maybe she can do something interesting with it.

3. Spence says:

Netflix plus Jenji equals an amazing combination so I’m so ready for this. Hopefully it will become more of a dramedy a la OITNB; I love those types of shows haha

4. Boiler says:

Looks like crap to me. Concentrate on good shows like Longmire, Jessica Jones, Kimmy Scmidt

5. Not interested! I can’t believe some of the silly shows Netflix is putting out now, and because I like somethings on Netflix, I have to pay for them too! I don’t care who’s making it, it sound stupid to me! I don’t like wrestling no matter who is doing it!

6. Erica says:

Maybe use a video that doesn’t use a screenshot of a woman’s labia?

7. LOL I’m in Vegas and I remember when I was younger, how excited I would get to drive by their headquarters which was down the street from my house.

8. GLOW was fabulous fun. I never saw it as misogynistic–it was equally silly and stupid and fun as men’s fake wrestling. Now if they would just bring back real/fake roller derby–I was a huge Bay City Bomber fan.

9. Robin says:

It would be better if they just brought in wrestlers and concentrated on the matches.

10. Jbj says:

I haven’t been a wrestling fan let alone a GLOW fan, since I was 10, but I’ll check this out. It was a bit like JEM meets the WWE…there were Hollywood & Vine, Lady Godiva, etc