Man in the High Castle Frank Spotnitz Exit

The Man in the High Castle Production Halted After the Abrupt Exit of Showrunner Frank Spotnitz

Production on the second season of Amazon’s The Man in the High Castle was brought to a screeching halt Thursday in the wake of showrunner Frank Spotnitz‘s abrupt exit, our sister site, Deadline, reports.

Apparently, the veteran of The X-Files had recently clashed with the streaming service over his lack of hands-on involvement in Season 2. In the wake of his hasty exit, no new showrunner is being hired during the hiatus (which could last up to two weeks); rather, the rest of the production team will step in and absorb Spotnitz’s duties.

No longer tied to the Vancouver-shot drama, the Europe-based writer/producer is currently working closer to home on another series, Medici: Masters of Florence, starring Dustin Hoffman as the Italian cardinal and Games of Thrones alum Richard Madden as his son, Cosimo.

High Castle — a streaming record-breaker based on Philip K. Dick’s 1962 alt-history novel — was renewed for a 10-episode second season back in December of 2015. New episodes of the series, which stars Alexa Davalos and Luke Kleintank, were expected to debut later this year.

Are you worried that, since it was Spotnitz who developed the project in the first place, quality will suffer in his absence? Hit the comments!

1. Senff says:

Come back to the X-Files, Frank!

2. Hellas13 says:

This sucks.

3. David4 says:

Might as well cancel it.

4. Dr. M says:

I’m confused… he was the showrunner, but they weren’t letting him run the show. So he left and they’re continuing to film without a showrunner.
    So who was and is in charge or are the crew just doing whatever they want?

• ScottJ says:

The item says he wasn’t hands-on enough for Amazon’s liking. Meaning they wanted him to be more involved. Nothing to do with them stopping him from running it.

• CPav says:

Actually, it says that they clashed over his lack of hands-on involvement. It doesn’t say whether he was not hands-on by his choice, or by theirs. And if he wasn’t hands-on (regardless of whose decision it was), why do they need to shut down for two weeks to divide up the responsibilities that he wasn’t carrying out anyway? If the show has been in production without him, why not just continue as-is?

5. The story line is so compelling and the actors are convincing, so it may change some, but there is a lot of story to be told yet.

6. Ginger says:

Well I won’t be watching Season 2 then. Frank created something beautiful in Season 1 and I really enjoyed it, but without his creative input I’m not interested. Bad move, Amazon.

7. KyinHI says:

I came for entirely for Frank Spotnitz and his creative vision. I don’t know if I actually care that much about it without him.

8. Nic says:

MITHC was Frank’s baby!! His passion and love for that story and for the show oozed out of every detail in every scene of each episode. It won’t be the same without him. Who Frank is, made MITHC what it was. Amazon is making a huge mistake by running him off. I highly doubt I’ll watch season 2 if it’s Frank-less. Amazon was lucky to have someone of his caliper, someone with his dedication to film, and again – his passion. They’re not going to find that in whatever yahoo they find after this 2 week hiatus is up.

Where Frank leads, I will follow.

9. N says:

I love MITHC! Hope it comes back

10. So let me get this straight, Frank created this amazing masterpiece of a show which broke records and Amazon is arguing with him over his involvement with season 2? This man is a brilliant writer and show runner and High Castle is going to suffer majorly due to his exit.

11. militantgod says:

Can y’all read? Amazon is supposedly upset that he hasn’t been as involved as much they want him to be. If this is true it’s his own damn fault. It sounds like he’s more concerned aout that other show. I’m bummed he’s gone but if he is half assin’ it, then he should go. It doesn’t sound like he has Carlton Cuse’s juggling skills.

12. dman6015 says:

He probably assumed the show could run on auto pilot while he was off working with Dustin Hoffman.

13. kirads09 says:

Please don’t let this mean the end. High Castle was one of the best things I have ever watched in the history of ever. :-(

14. Elizabeth Sullivan says:

I’ve followed Frank’s work since X-files, and his imprint is key to his many successes, not just in the screenwriting, but behind the camera as well. How Frank divvies his time is his business as long as the quality of the show isn’t negatively impacted. Key to being a great executive producer is knowing how to assemble a creative staff and a production crew who can assume greater responsibilities after the first season.

15. Gary Timmerhans says:

Not worried because he did such a lousy job on season 1.

16. Haywood Jablome says:

I started to read this, got bored and went back to shaving my balls.

17. Doc says:

This was a fictional show? I thought it was a documentary