Kanye West's 7-Minute Ellen Rant: 'I'm Sorry, Daytime TV, for the Realness'

Kanye West is not letting Ellen DeGeneres distract him from his creative process.

During an appearance that will air on DeGeneres’ eponymous talk show Thursday, the outspoken artist turned an interview segment into an extended, emotional monologue in an attempt to convince others why they need to support his mission to make the world a better place — even if Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg refuses to give him $53 million.

“I feel that if I had more resources, I could help more people. I have ideas that can make the human-race existence within our 100 years better — period,” he said, before sharing, “I was raised to do something [and] to make a difference.”

Later, West contradicted his own theory that “thinking is pointless” when he went so far as to say that as a fashion designer, he must one day emulate the King of Pop to achieve greatness.

“Picasso is dead. Steve Jobs is dead. Walt Disney is dead. Name somebody living that you can name in the same breath as them,” he said. “Michael Jackson and Russell Simons are the reason I was able to go so far… I literally have to be Michael Jackson of apparel in order to break open the doors for everyone that will come after I’m gone, after I’m dead, after they call me Wacko Kanye.”

Watch an extended cut of the epic appearance below, then attempt to make sense of it all in the comments section.

1. David4 says:

Halfway through Taylor Swift should have came out and started singing randomly.

2. Steven says:

He’s insane.

3. CAN says:

Can you imagine living with this guy…

4. Rebecca says:

Ellen’s face says it all and I don’t even have to watch the video.

5. Whoa. says:

This man needs help. Seriously.

6. Mr. Smith says:

Meanwhile, on the moon, dust resettles in the wake of spatial wind….

This is why I cannot stand talk shows/reality TV. “Thinking is pointless” on shows like these.

7. Walkie says:

He’s been told too many times that he’s a “genius”. He has the delusion that every thought that comes vomiting out of his mouth is important.

8. BrightLight says:

I love how he thinks someone should give HIM money to make the world a better place when they could easily use that same money to do it on their own. SMH.

9. Senff says:

“Realness” is NOT A WORD

10. Farva says:

I honestly wish people would stop giving this person attention. He is nothing more than a man baby on a pity party.

11. Brandon says:

What a moron.

12. RedReddington says:

I mean, I like that he wants to end bullying, and help others. He just comes across as bat*hit crazy. 🙄

• TVFan says:

My question is, how in the world is “working with Payless” gonna end bullying? Does he think that kids only get bullied because of their shoes? Just because more middle-class families would have access to his “designer” shoes, does not mean the would want to buy them. Low-income families would still need to shop elsewhere for the knockoff shoes. Not to mention that kids will find a whole lot more things to bully other kids for than whether or not they are wearing Kanye shoes.

13. Kelly says:

He needs therapy. I find it sad actually.

14. The Truth says:

Newsflash – Narcissistic dipshiat rambles on for 10 minutes. This is not a repeat from every other story about narcissistic dipshiat.

15. I couldn’t even make it through the video.

16. heather says:

He’s crazy. AND if it’s true and he has millions, why is he allowing his father to live in a homeless shelter? Selfish.

17. Mary says:

I cannot comprehend why these shows will give him the time of day. Maybe if people would stop giving him a platform he might seek the help he desperately needs.

18. Summer says:

I want to be on board with some of what he says, but he comes across as totally insane and, you know.

Kind of super-rehearsed.

19. Nellie says:

Tvline. Enough with the missleading headlines. This is by no means a RANT! He’s talking about good things for the first time in his life. There have been other instances where he’s talked out of his ass. This time he’s actually talking about other people and his experiences and what he’s gone through instead of bragging about being God.

20. Ange says:

I don’t have to see the interview because the look on Ellen’s face sums it up beautifully

21. Jackie says:

I get the message, but his delivery is so self-important that he’s hard for me to watch. It’s more about the messenger, and not the message, unfortunately.

22. Darius says:

Haven’t seen one good comment on here but I’m sure Kanye fans watched this. It seems like the Kamye haters care more about him than the people who love him lmao

23. Uhhh…. Bill Gates….

24. Angelina says:

Who is he?

25. Sheri says:

This is just like when your friend in high school gets high and starts trying to talk about philosophy.

26. WINFREY says:

Usually those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world/make it a better place. Are the ones who do.

Thanks for the inspiration Mr.West, One day.

• JScout says:

Yes, but those people actually do something about it, instead of just talking nonsense. He will not accomplish anything for anyone but himself. Complete narcissist.

• Patrizia DiIulio says:

I would like to believe that. However I don’t believe he is one of those people.

27. Abby gail says:

He’s sick in the head. Know one should listen to him or his music.

28. Nancy Filan says:

Kanye. You were the worst guest on Ellen so far!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Jeritzel b says:

I just want to be alive to see the day that kanye is dead and people start to talk about the changes that he made in the culture.. Just cause you can’t urderstand him doesn’t mean he’s wrong.

30. HAP says:

When it comes to the whole Kardashian clan, Kanye makes Lamar Odom look well adjusted.

31. Sounds like Kanye is having a nervous breakdown-sounds psycho.

32. texmike says:

Wacko Kayne is a mentally ill no talent hack.

33. Patrizia DiIulio says:

In regards to Kanye West’s discussion on Ellen’s show was sad. I’m sure he believes what he said and some of it made sense. However he acted as if he was high or ” something “. Even when he played 5 seconds game with Ellen he just didn’t get it or simply didn’t care. Why don’t people check out the guests before they go on TV. I felt sad for him.

• FromBrazil says:

He was obviously joking when he played, after a couple of rounds he started playing by the rules. Like he says himself, don’t take him too seriously…

34. mike says:

WOW, just WOW

35. Shari says:

Holy crap! If he is so worried about clothes, did he even take a look at what he was wearing? Oh brother Ellen, please done have him back lol. I’m sure he thought Ellen was going to give him a gigantic handout bahahahaha

36. Loli says:

It’s called megalomania.

37. Larry Peebles says:

Is this Kanye’s “Tom Cruise Moment”?

38. AngelWasHere says:

Someone didn’t take their meds this morning.

39. dq18 says:

I thought Lamar Odom was the one taking too many drugs?

40. Ralph says:

Idiot

41. Jane says:

I have bragged about your Art dear Nephew since that day on TV your dear Mother pulled it out of the closet on yeeeeeeeeears ago. You made lite of her gesture laughing then rapidly taking it out of her hands and closing the closet door where their appeared tons of your Masterpieces. Nephew I, was/am blown away far away that your mental-to-spirit-to visual enables such creativity. Rhyme on for the sake of your brilliant capacity. DNA to the highest power!!! #YEP!!! I’m her Auntie.

42. AndyPandy says:

It seems that is hard for some people in this thread to separate the message from the sender. Even more disappointing to see people take the time to type comments of not having the time to watch the video.

43. We have lost so many Icons this past year in music and the arts..This man is sickening along with his family…

44. Becky says:

This whole interview was so awkward… Ellen tried so hard to get him to talk and he just sat there looking annoyed at her and answering her with one word answers for the first five minutes…

He’s so self important. I’ve never seen anyone who thought every single word that came out of their mouth was golden. Especially when everything he says is tarniahed by his attitude and his self righteousness.

When he says he cares about people I have a hard time believing him. I have a hard time looking at him and not seeing a disingenuous thug determined to beat his opinions into us and telling us how stupid we all are for not throwing money at him…

And am I honestly supposed to believe that he’s a fashion icon when all he wears is white t-shirts and ripped jeans? We all see how he dresses Kim.. Calling him a fashion icon is like calling Ronald McDonald a restaurateur…

45. Zoe Butcher says:

Most people probably do not realize why Kanye West went on this rant on Ellen, but it’s because of a chance meeting in Nice, France after Kanye left the Cannes Film Festival to meet one of his idols, Mystic/Cult Movie Director Alejandro Jodorowsky, legendary director of the films El Topo and The Holy Mountain. Well once Kanye and Alejandro sat down, Alejandro gave Kanye a tarot card reading that involved three cards, the sun, the emperor, and the fool. Kanye was said to be floored by the reading because Kanye in his personal life is incredibly driven to succeed and to shine brighter than the day before, he’s built an empire of sorts that he can rule over and then utilize his wealth for ideas to improve children’s lives, and finally the fool, because these moments where everyone believes Kanye to be angry, acting out, weird, strange, or a troll, is in fact not the way he is at all in real life. These foolish moments are very calculated to make people think for themselves, not just to listen to Kanye West on a daytime talk show. He wanted to say shut off the nonsensical television, don’t read a book, don’t listen to musical artists, make music, make fashion, make art, don’t let your lives pass you by watching others live and burn furiously. Find the passion in yourself that makes you alive and never let it go.

P.S. Jon Stewart also did something very similar to what Kanye did on Ellen, Stewart showed up on the CNN show Crossfire and ignored almost every question posed by the two co-hosts making what was easily one of the most awkward and uncomfortable hours of television ever aired. Unsurprisingly, Crossfire was canceled later that year.

• Roshan s. says:

I completely agree with your response… I actually understood where Kanye was trying to go with the whole discussion… He had so much he was trying to let out but so little time it was like he couldn’t get the right words to fully express all the ideas and visions he was trying to express to the audience/viewers and it came off to most and nonsical/none sense and he would try to finish a thought but than would cut off and jump to another because it was almost like so much was just flooding through his mind… He’s an artist and he deeply deeply feels different emotions for others and for this world and life In general… His messages seem to always get misunderstood or he may come off as self absorbed and cocky/arrogant etc but that’s not really him… I do not know the man, but I follow a lot of what he has to say and it really does make sense… We are so quick to judge him and call him crazy and mock him and his lifestyle and knock him for his choice of words/ attire/ ambition/ desires but who are we to judge? Kanye west has come a long way in his life, he has accomplished so much and he will continue to fight the good fight wether we like him or not respect him or hate him he is his own man and his light shines bright and as much as we may not get him he is making a difference in this world in his own way…. Like when he reference Payless and clothing/bullying etc… Bullying is a huge issue in America and all over the world it has become a bit of an epidemic of sorts in that our youth in America are feeling the pressures of our society and looking a certain way dressing a certain way to fit in and be “cool” and accepted… Unfortunately 85-90% of these kids are unable to afford clothes/shoes etc to go with the trends and styles of today’s fashions and what we deem as socially acceptable and “hot” ” sexy” “cool” etc… So now you have this kid with his Paylese shoes with holes at the bottom of the soles the same pair of jeans he wore all week the same shirt walking around being ostrisized by the other kids being made fun of and the butt of all the jokes while the other kids walk around in their Jordan sneakers designers jeans retro hip shirts etc…. So imagine if Kanye can work with Payless and come up with a whole line of clothes and shoes for these young kids that will be available at all Payless stores across the United States that will be very much affordable and attainable by all of these under privileged families and now that same kid can walk the halls of his school with those same Payless shoes that look a whole lot “cooler” and he’s able to finally fit in and feel comfortable in his own skin…. We talk about morales and being the bigger person and walking away and respect and all these other politically correct rubbish but when it comes down to it, we were all young once… We were all kids once, and as such we all experienced elementary/middle/high school and we all understand the peer pressures that come along with growing up and having to be able to fit in its a huge part of these kids lives… I applaud Kanye for having the vision and drive to want to make a difference and help these kids out so they can feel better about themselves and help in uprooting this “bullying” epidemic that’s sweeping our nation… Kids are getting picked on and thrown into thrash cans and heads dumped into toilets and getting beat up and humiliated by their peers all of this is real and happening in our schools every day it’s a fact… I can attest to it all first hand as I witnessed kids being bullied when I grew up I myself was a bully to some, and I see the pain and suffering I caused to others and it was wrong and I made school miserable for some… I was the kid walking around with all the cool new clothes and shoes etc… Thankfully I figured things out quickly as the tables were turned on me one day and the bully became the bullied and I was physically assaulted by 3 other kids. I’m actually great full that it happened, I had it coming. That really opened up my eyes to what really matters and what really doesn’t… Our lives revolve around who likes us and our social status etc while we are in middle school/ high school it’s a fact we all deal with these types of pressures… By the time I hit high school I found myself and I began defending others and I stopped bullying and helped to try and stop others from doing it as well. Imagine a line of clothing that is so affordable that you can buy it anywhere like Walmart, Payless, target, etc etc and clothing and shoes are all made by a famous designer and look “cool” etc for a fraction of the price…. And than all the accessories as well and the sun glasses etc etc I mean there is so much that can come from this… A lot of people want to make fun of Mr. West and his ideas and poke fun at his demeanor and way of expressing himself, well I’m here to say that his voice is being heard and his message is resignating into our culture and society and will go deeper and deeper and hopefully he will begin his own “renaissance” or sort in which he will make a difference in this world and truly help others… Yes Mr West may come off as smug and a SOB at times but it’s just an “act” a difference mask he puts own when he has to get a point across so people can point at him and mock him and put him down he becomes the court jester for us all so we can feel better about ourselves and what we feel is right and our morales and standards and ideals because when someone else feels or thinks differently/outside the box people get scared and they don’t understand it and they don’t like what they do not understand… People lash out at what they cannon accept or see or deem correct… So continue to judge the man and crucify him if you must in your people’s court of opinion but remember this Kanye is the one out there trying to make a difference, he’s actually trying… Now ask yourself a question and while doing so look in the mirror and ask yourself what are you doing to make this world a better place?

46. Liaqat Hussain says:

I had no love for Kim but after watching this I feel sorry for her… This man should be locked up and a nutcase

47. Hollywood says:

Ive been on your apparel website and have seen how much you are charging for your clothes…..how dare you rant and rave on ellen about being real. Your words don’t mirror your actions. You are simply pissed off about the past as in slavery and racism today! I can see right through you “ye” you are nothing but an attention, money grubbing pissed off black man!

48. JT says:

The producers of Ellen should’ve just scrapped this episode.

49. lisa y says:

He need big help.

50. N Roman says:

1st off-Someone give Ellen a raise.
    2nd- I seriously hope that Kanye isn’t “Self medicating”
    3rd-maybe Kanye should consider a bit of psychiatric care, just to be on the safe side.
    4th- Im sure Ellens rating are on the rise, not that its a issue or,anything