Star Trek Reboot: CBS Teases New Series at Upfronts — Watch Video

CBS on Wednesday boldly went where no Upfront has gone before recently.

The network unveiled the first video — though not the first footage, unfortunately — from Bryan Fuller’s upcoming Star Trek reboot, which will air on CBS All Access in early 2017 after premiering on CBS; what you see in the video is the series’ official logo.

“You didn’t think we were going to show you the cast, did you?” CBS president Les Moonves teased the eager audience. “It’s too early for that.”

According to CBS Television Studios, “The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.”

Hit PLAY on the teaser video above, then drop a comment with your hopes for Star Trek below.

1. Kristine says:

I’m hopeful. Love me some Star Trek.

2. Roger Buchana says:

Reboot reboot. Or it will fit in somewhere in the existing Timeline.

• Tony says:

Last I read , the show takes place in the TOS timeline. Not the Abrams timeline. If I remember correctly, it takes place between the last movie to feature the original cast (can’t remember the name at the moment) and TNG.

• readenreply says:

This way the TOS cast can make appearances and still be within the right age range for their characters and the current age of the actors!

• Geoff Gentry says:

thanks for sharing I had the same questions! Still not happy that it is online only :(

• Gerald says:

It says coming to CBS and CBS All Access. I think it is both not just online.

• Paul says:

The first episode will air on CBS over the air (for the same reason the crack dealer gives a little kid the first bag for free), After that, you have to spend $72/year ($6/month) to purchase the CBS All-Access service to see it. Unless something changes.

• rarefied says:

I’ve heard the opposite, but I hope you’re right.

• Ben says:

It must… it NEED to be part of the original timeline!.

I’m a huge fan and I don’t want anything from Mr. Abrams universe in the new show.

Woooooooo!… so exciting!.

• JG says:

I loved the Abrams reboot movies. Couldn’t stand Next Generation or the one Captained by Mrs. Colombo.

3. B says:

Still wanna know whose gonna pay for CBS Access in order to watch this online. They are limiting the audience this way.

• JJ in NJ says:

Let’s see. $1.50 per week for a new Star Trek, and the wife gets her Good Wife spin-off. Given that’s a heck of a lot less than I pay for a cup of Wawa coffee, I’ll bite.

• ? says:

The amount of people who will use CBS Access to see the show will probably be like 10% of the number of people watching it. It’s a low value proposition service that no one wants to bother with and will probably be technologically terrible and may even have ads. Hopefully that 10% of the audience will be enough to keep it going, though. I’m skeptical the new series will have the same magic as the good Treks did, but hopeful because Bryan Fuller. On the other hand, everything Bryan Fuller does is awesome but gets cancelled.

• JBDragon says:

While I’m a star trek fan, I’m not paying CBS for All-Access. I get CBS with my Antenna, and I was basically forced to pay for basic TV to get cheaper price for the Internet only service I wanted. I’m not paying CBS once again. If you want a Show to FAIL, throw it up on a service that will have a TINY fraction of the people watching over their Broadcast channel. Those that want to see it will just find other ways to get it, in HD and commerial free. They’re screwing themselves and I don’t see this lasting more then 1 season at most. Star Trek in the past, all of them have had a pretty poor first seasons until they figure things out in time. The same held true with Enterprise, by the time the second season which was really good was coming out, the first season killed it for many and that was with a chance for a much larger audience. This series is already at a huge handicap right from the start.

I think it’s ridiculous to pay CBS $6 a month. Unless it was Commercial FREE, otherwise it’s a joke!!! Lets get FOX, ABC, NBC, and CW also all wanting their $6 a month for something that’s FREE with a Antenna. I’m sure not going to pay $30 for broadcast channels filled with Commercials. I can get that for FREE, skip all the commercials with TIVO and it won’t cost me a dime. I don’t care how good this Star Trek could possibly be, I refuse to pay the $6 a month. If they think THIS is going to get droves of people signing up for their service, they’re in for a huge disappointment

• ? says:

I watched Enterprise through the end of the third season. It was such a crime against Star Trek it still makes me angry and upset whenever I think of it. I hear it actually got good when Manny Coto took over for season 4, but to this day I’ve never seen it, and I don’t know if I could separate out my strong revulsion for what came before enough to enjoy it.

• S. says:

I started off mad at it. The very idea of using that theme basically made a lot of people begin the series in a bad mood (part of what you look forward to in Star Trek are the amazing scores as opposed to a cover of a Rod Stewart song which is what we got). It’s not a terrible song, it’s just not Trek and yes I’m keeping in mind Enterprise was set closer to our time than any other Star Trek series. Instead of trusting that these are people who know what they’re doing, and they should because they were very experienced, you spend the rest of the time expecting other things to be done badly. I could’ve done without the sonic shower Vulcan backrub situation too. Hopefully they won’t demand Seven of Nine skin tight body suits or whatnot. Bryan Fuller’s amazing and is finally getting a chance to do something he’s dreamed of for years so I’m hopeful this is gonna kill it.

• JBDragon says:

I liked Enterprise, but like past Star Trek TV series, it got better after the first season. Remember SSTNG first season, first Episode? It really wasn’t good. First season of Deep Space Nine? Not all that good. First season of Voyager? Really not all that good. After the first season and they all settled in and figured things out, they turned out great. Enterprise was the same. It started out kind of bad, but each season it was getting better and better. The problem these days is shows don’t get much of a chance to proof themselves before they get the ax. ‘m thinking of TV shows that if released today would have gotten the ax in the first season instead of the long for 8+ years that they ended up getting.

• Jane says:

Had the same question. Between cable, Netflix, etc. I already pay too much and am looking at cutting not adding to what I pay.

• tvjunkie says:

If it’s any good it will be among the top pir8ted shows. You can count on that.

4. John says:

Has anyone even officially signed on yet for the cast?

• thisismenow says:

A handful have. Search star trek on TVLine and a few results come up. I can’t believe they are waiting until the Fall to start filming

5. wrstlgirl says:

This makes me really miss Battlestar Galactica. Frak!!

6. Television says:

Please Please have some of the original crews like Worf, Data, Kira, anyone from TNG, DS9, or Voyagers. I know they want some new characters, but please have some continuing story that picks up from where they left off. And include as regular cast members some of the original characters from those shows so we can see what they are up to. Worf as the Captain would be awesome, Michael Dorn!!!

• Joseph Carroll says:

Sorry, but that isn’t happening. They have already been clear that it is taking place sometime after the events of Undiscovered Country (Star Trek VI) and before the events of TNG. At best, you might get a cameo of some of the actors playing relatives like Michael Dorn has done in the past. If we are really lucky, we might get to see some of the players from Enterprise, like an Admiral Archer, or perhaps T’Pol or Phlox. But no, we won’t get any of the characters as regulars.

7. Television says:

I really hope this gets picked up as regular programming on CBS, not just the online version. I don’t like that channels are going this route.

8. Joey Padron says:

Good teaser for the show. Can’t wait to see who they cast on the show.

9. christopher bee says:

That looks and smells truely awfull.

I´ll hope to be wrong, because i love Gene Roddenberry´s idea of a mutifaceted society within complex scifi war of the planets scripe.

• christopher bee says:

… should be “multifaceted” Damn not to be able to edit here. Stupid.

• Elf says:

Well, if you’re going to correct yourself, I’ll add that it’s “truly” and “awful.” Also, I’m guessing “script”?

10. James D says:

nerdgasm! oh i can’t wait. Please CBS don’t screw this up we Trekies need and deserve an awesome new series.

11. Ross says:

Is that the official title?? Because me thinks they are gonna need to be a bit more specific about it.

12. liame says:

I hope they do it right. I’m a huge fan of the original Star Trek series.

13. jenna says:

good teaser, they didn’t need the early 2000’s movie guy voiceover though

14. dan says:

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Star Trek: The Pirated Generation. CBS Alll Access lol. That isn’t going to go well.

15. Shirley Popp says:

CBS: I cannot see why you are not putting the new Star Trek on regular CBS and also the new series spin off of The Good Wife. I cannot afford to pay anymore then what TV service I have now. PLease reconsider and put those two programs on regular CBS. PLease

16. Rick Katze says:

Hopefully it will be better than the last ST reboot.

• JBDragon says:

Enterprise was good, the Second season was really getting Interesting. They killed it way to soon. That’s how it is these days. So many programs in the past that had a poor first season would have been axed pretty quickly these days even though they ended up being huge hits. Looking back at Voyager, and Deep Space Nice and even ST:TNG, the First seasons were not all that good. Even the first Star Trek Movie wasn’t all that great. Come the second one, that was fantastic. It’s almost all even movies being the best, Odd movies not so much.

• tvjunkie says:

It will certainly have far fewer legal viewers

17. tharcy says:

I’m on board with anything Bryan Fuller puts his hands on.

• Sarah says:

Agreed, I’m sure Bryan Fuller will bring humor and some quirkiness to the characters and hopefully be true to the original optimistic viewpoint. We could all use a little hope for humanity right now, similar to when TOS debuted in the 60s.

18. Bark Star says:

Fire Kurtzman and this may go somewhere.

19. Border Spice says:

Love Trek. Not paying for Access

20. Paul says:

The information content of this trailer is zero.

21. mike says:

Is it coming to CBS regular AND all access? or just all access? Cause at first it sounded like it would only be all access and i’m not paying for a service to only watch one show. If its good I’ll just buy the season on Vudu

22. JG says:

Star Trek where success is paramount.

23. Marcus Coull says:

Love my Trek but not supporting cbs with this or latest movie till they pull their finger out of somewhere in regards to Axanar.Should support them and fan films.Not crucify them!!