the voice predictions

The Voice Predictions: Who's Most Likely to Make the Finale?

This one’s gonna hurt.

The Voice‘s Season 10 semifinal results telecast (tonight, 8/7c on NBC) will find eight contestants winnowed down to just four — and predicting who’ll survive and who’ll fall is harder than ever.

The top three vote-getters will automatically advance, with the bottom two immediately sent packing. After that, the three remaining artists will duke it out with “Save Me” songs in an attempt to win the season’s final Twitter save.

Complicating matters? Six of the remaining contestants landed in the iTunes Top 10 at the end of voting — and qualified for the coveted voting multiplier.

Granted, downloads are only one component of the elimination equation — there’s also online and Voice app votes to consider — but for most of Season 10, iTunes has been a solid predictive tool. Let’s look at the stats, then make some educated guesses about who’s at risk:

Ranking on iTunes Singles Chart at Close of Voting (Tuesday, Noon ET)
2. Adam Wakefield – “I’m Sorry” (Team Blake)
3. Alisan Porter – “Desperado” (Team Xtina)
5. Mary Sarah – “I Told You So” (Team Blake)
6. Hannah Huston – “When a Man Loves a Woman” (Team Pharrell)
7. Bryan Bautista – “Hurt” (Team Xtina)
10. Laith Al-Saadi – “One and Only” (Team Adam)
27. Shalyah Fearing – “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going” (Team Adam)
71. Paxton Ingram – “I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That)” (Team Blake)

Not only do Adam and Alisan rank No. 1 and 2 in semifinal sales, but they also inarguably had Monday’s best duet, which can only help their cause. Look for them to advance without the need of a sing-off.

Shalyah and Paxton, meanwhile, have consistently been near the bottom of the iTunes pecking order — with Paxton needing the Twitter Save last week. By landing in second-to-last and last in sales, and with a poor duet showing to boot, they’re the obvious picks for instant ejection.

That leaves Mary, Hannah, Bryan and Laith hoping for the third automatic finale berth — and it’ll be a close call.

Hannah got the show-closing pimp slot, but Pharrell’s laid-back coaching style hasn’t been much of a boost. I’m pretty sure she’ll be part of the three-person sing-off. Laith, meanwhile, has been deeply consistent all season, but his lack of “growth arc” and his early-in-the-episode performance slot won’t do him any favors. I expect him to be singing for his life, too.

Bryan’s emotional story of becoming estranged from his dad — and the production’s push for Team Xtina all season — might make him a dark horse for the Top 3, but let’s not forget he needed his coach’s save in the Live Playoffs. Has he surged enough over the last month to have built a fan base?

Mary Sarah, by virtue of having the ultra popular Blake in her corner, is my pick to land in the Top 3 (especially coming off a very good performance), even if her overall body of work and vocal accuracy don’t really compare to Hannah, Laith or Bryan.

Predictions for Automatic Finale Berth: Adam, Alisan, Mary
Predictions for Twitter Save Sing-Off: Laith, Bryan, Hannah
Predictions for Automatic Elimination: Shalyah, Paxton

Who do you think will and should go home on The Voice Semifinal results night? Sound off in the comments!

1. I think you’re right, Michael. In theory, the only suspense will be who wins that sing-off.

2. Lee says:

I have no idea what Blake is feeding America but it seems to be always working. Mary? Mary? Really. Hope Bryan gets the save.

• newsdee says:

If I could sing I would pick Blake. He has a following that votes fro his team every year. I know that Paxton and Shayalah will go home. I just want Laith and Mary to go with them.

• Ann says:

You are so right!
      Mary Sarah needs to go home ASAP!!!
      Please no more!!!

3. Timmah says:

Adam is a lock to advance, and is probably going to win the whole thing. And I would say that Alisan is in the finale too, barring a major upset. After that I think it’s wide open between Laith, Mary Sarah, Hannah and Bryan for the other two spots.

4. Lee says:

Shows you how dismal this season is that no one went to #1.

5. Winnie says:

It pains me to say it because i have been rooting for Paxton since the beginning but the writing is on the wall that he would be going home tonight. And your top three is pretty accurate in my view and the sing off choices are also likely. I would save Brian.

6. LADY_in_MD says:

I hope Laith makes it thorough he has been my favorite as well as Alisan this season but over the past two weeks Laith is who I have been voting for he is just so damn good and not just a singer but a musician as well with his guitar skills!!

Also I would love if NBC changed up the Adam and Blake show and got rid of one if not both of them for a season or two I don’t think it’s fair that Blake’s contestants constantly get through just because Blake has tons of fans this is called the voice for a reason not who’s coach is more popular and yes I’m talking about Mary Sara

7. Correction: Hannah was #5 and Mary #6 .

8. 2Blessed says:

The fact that Bryan, Hannah, and Mary Sarah are a slot apart from each other is verrrrrry interesting. I voted for Hannah and Bryan last night w/ the Voice App, and not Mary Sarah, so you neverrrrrr know who might get that third slot. I think Hannah’s gonna edge out Mary Sarah and get it, leaving Laith, Mary, and Bryan for the save. If MS is in the sing off, she’ll probably win it. If not, Bryan could probanly edge out Hannah in Twitter votes.

9. Where have Adam and Pharrell been this season? Pharrell has these feel-good learn-nothing sessions with Hannah (though Pink gave her great advice) and tells viewer to buy Laith’s music. Adam has been no help to Shaylah on sing choice or anything else. Fortunately Laith hasn’t needed Adam’s sdvice, but Adam certainly hasn’t helped Laith learn anything new. Won’t be surprised at all if Blakes’s Mary Sarah makes it to the finals, leaving Hannah and Laith behind.

• Cathy Balazs says:

I have voted for Blake’s contestants in the past but this year is beyond annoying. Mary Sara that high on itunes is amazing when you can go download Carrie Underwood who killed that song just a few years back. This is not the Blake and Adam show. This year the best ones aren’t on either team in my humble opinion. Hannah, Bryan and Alisan are the best and Adam is the best of Blake’s and will probably win it all. Maybe some of the overseas voters will keep Bryan in this. He deserves it.

• Lizzie says:

Hmm, it kind of is the Blake and Adam show. I don’t find Hannah to be the best, although it is somewhat possible that she could be in the finale over Laith. Adam and Alisan will be there, and then for the other two spots I would most like to see Bryan and I guess Laith.

• Lizzie says:

Pharrell has seemed like he is smoking something, all season.

• Mary joe says:

I don’t think pharrell should had no one in the finale these shows,voice,American idol,an x factor is fig all the African American that play a part in judging never help black singers an they really can sing an vote all them bad ones on threw sad sad !!!

10. Normandy says:

Coach save in the live playoffs doesn’t necessarily mean bottom four of the top 12 because there are still team quotas in place. Plus Bryan already surpassed Nick who got more votes in that round. Last season Emily Ann jumped over both teammates who got more votes than her.

11. GDub says:

“Not only do Adam and Alisan rank No. 1 and 2 in semifinal sales, but they also inarguably had Monday’s best duet,”

Wow! I thought their duet was boring. I have heard better versions of that song from random buskers on the street corner. I don’t think you are using the word ‘inarguably’ correctly.

• Ron says:

“Inarguably” was 100% the right word to use. You might’ve thought it was boring (I didn’t, but we can agree to disagree on that), but of the four duets, Adam and Alisan’s duet was objectively the best–in emotion, style, pitch, etc.

12. Carfield says:

Wow tonight will certainly be a bloodbath, and it is pretty sure that Adam and Alisan will have no issues getting to the final, especially they both have a loyal fan base. For the third spot, it can honestly be anyone guess. Since Mary Sarah has a strong 85.6K twitter following, it will secure the spot for final regardless. As of this point, it is simply the difference of “Do I get to sing one more song or not?” For reality TV sake, it will be interesting to see a ultimate sing off of Laith, Hannah and Bryan. Unfortunately being in the West Coast, I can’t see the performance before I vote. It will be really based on Michael’s tweets. I am leaning towards Bryan now, so unless the twitter sphere tells me that something goes really wrong, I guess I will stick with Bryan for now.

13. Jan K. says:

I truly believe that Adam & Allison will be in the finale. I truly hope that Bryan & Laith will move on to the finale. It’s anyone’s guess who will actually move on to the finale; but one thing’s for sure, Adam & Allison will definitely be in the finale :)

14. joann says:

Alisan, shalyah, Bryan and Mary Sarah are top 4

15. suem48 says:

Interesting how things went last night. I didn’t really like any of the duets; I thought they didn’t help anyone, so ignored them in figuring out who I wanted to vote for. My biggest disappointment was that Alisan sang Desperado and did it well because she hadn’t done anything I liked since Blue Bayou and I know her future releases won’t be anything I’ll want to buy, so I’d prefer her not to be in the final. That said, she did really well and will most likely make it through.
    Adam has been a revelation; I am now rooting for him as my top preference with Hannah a close second.
    To those who are angry that Blake’s team members do well, it isn’t so much that people are voting for Blake, but that he is the better coach and better at picking songs appropriate for his team. Does anyone disagree that Shalyah could have used some coaching to rein in her admittedly awesome pipes? Adam should have told her about using light and shade in her singing, but missed that totally. And he kind of let Laith do his thing without giving much guidance at all and I think Laith isn’t going to make it through. He has great skills, but hasn’t really grown much – whatever that means.
    Christina must be reading the blogs because she actually mentioned toning things down to both her singers last night! She usually has them belting and adding unnecessary ‘runs’ to everything. I think Bryan has the best range maybe of any of the remaining 8 singers, but that song didn’t do much for me.
    Pharrell has been a bit vague all season, but he’s kind of been that way every season he’s been on; at least you can understand what he is saying even when it doesn’t seem to be about the performance we just watched (remember CeeLo’s odd ramblings? Pharrell is at least on point with something).
    To address a comment from last week – whether we should vote for those who do harder songs and/or are always in tune – I have one criterion: would I pay money to listen to this singer/song. Simpler songs obviously make money since they’ve become classics covered on The Voice and I don’t have the ear others have, so I don’t always catch when a singer isn’t on pitch, but I do know whether I like the song and performance and that’s what I use to pick my favorites. I don’t think I am the only one. And I don’t particularly like sing-your-guts-out performances; they are painful to hear and watch and totally turn me off a singer. I do love performances with nuances and appropriate emotion. I also prefer the lower registers, so singing the great high ‘glory’ note usually doesn’t do much for me, nor do growls and rasp. Give me nice clear tone with warmth and in the bass/baritone/alto ranges and I’m happy. :-)

• mirrorone says:

I make my decision based on what I would buy as well. When it gets down to it, I ask “who have I bought this season?” Some seasons it is an easy calculation, but this season it isn’t. I haven’t bought anything since the blinds and that one guy was out by the battles.
      I don’t like screamers. Hitting those high notes and doing those runs should be used sparingly. After a while, it just all sounds like screaming–no nuance. Music is all about nuances and emotion. It’s not vocal gymnastics and posturing imo. I understand they all want to stand out, but when you drone on week after week with the same thing–it gets boring and it hurts my ears.

• karen says:

It is not a “screamer” battle I agree…so I’m wondering what you hear when listening to Laith who yells every week. Just because some singers sing in high notes or loudly don’t mean they can’t sing…matter of taste I guess.

• mirrorone says:

Actually, I never bought any of Laith’s music either. This last season was really not very impressive to me. As I said, I only bought two songs, and they were from the Blinds. I enjoyed the season, but I like the show a lot, so I was bound to enjoy it. I just did not purchase much music. And, yes, it is entirely a matter of taste. Everyone buys music based on what they like, their taste in music, and what appeals to their emotions and their ear.

16. Sharon says:

Adam wins the whole thing. Alisan is second. Mary Sarah third. I’m iffy on 4th person too

17. Amanda says:

Why would anyone buy Mary Sarah’s version of I Told You So, when it’s a) no Randy Travis; and b) only a cheap knock-off of the Carrie Underwood cover from a few years ago? The iTunes results mystify me, but then again, so do most of America’s voting patterns.

18. Kang says:

I like Blake as a coach but Dang how does Mary hang around she is just another boring blond singing country music. Adam and laih are my favorites and I see Adam whining it all. I think mine mailed out but I hope it is Hanna over mary for the third spot

19. karen says:

It appears that the SHOW picks the outcome. If it is evident that the #1 spot is the “kiss of death” spot for artists, then that’s were they put the contestants they want to go home (eventually). Example: Shaylah has sang in #1 and #2 positions during the Top 11, 10, & 8 performances, hmmm, why is that? According to my records, not once did Alison or Adam or Laith (only sang #2 spot during Top #12 performances) get the “opportunity to sing in #1 or #2 spots. If they’re so great and can hold their own, then why haven’t they ever sung as part of the opener? If I’m off base please let me know. I believe myself to be a fair and open person.

• Timmah says:

I agree, and that’s one of things that I’ve always disliked about all of these shows. If it were a fair competition they would do a random drawing each time to determine performance order.

• Susan says:

I agree. The show’s producers need to explain how they determine the singing order every week, as well as the duet pairings. There is a blatant lack of transparency here.

20. Julia Bordona says:

I most consistently make my choice based on what I would purchase and/or enjoy listening to (or not) on the radio. The only contestant i would pay stratosphere tickets to go see would be Adam….consistently great, very polished, multi-talented. While Alisan, Hannah, and Bryan have great voices….you can throw Mary Sarah in there as a second to these 3 because she has a week lower register…..I’m REALLY tired of being screamed, whined, yelled, and listening to nasal renditions of whatever they’re performing. Adam and Alisans’s duett was the first time I have heard her actually sing through an entire song w/o screeching into her higher register. Nine times out of 10 I’d turn off the radio or switch stations. Bryan is my second choice, but did not enjoy this last performance of “Hurt”….too much in that high register, AGAIN!

21. Meg Henschel says:

Mary Sarah, Allison and Adam for sure top 3

22. My picks are Adam, Alisan, Bryan, and Hannah. Pretty sure Adam and Alisan are a lock–don’t know about the others.

23. Grace says:

Mary Sarah should go home. So many better singers than her this season. Adam needs to win and Lathe needs to be in the top 3.

24. Grace says:

Alsion way to go

25. Sandra says:

I am hoping for Bryan to make it to the final four. His voice is beautiful–smooth, controlled, and he can sing anything. And he doesn’t scream, which is nice for a change.

26. Voice Fan says:

I was thrilled to see at least on I-Tunes there is a horse race to the finale with Adam, Alisan, Hannah, Mary Sarah, Bryan and Laith neck and neck in the top 10. With the country voters loyal to both Adam and Mary Sarah and because of their consistency in being high on I tunes week after week, I predict the top three will be Adam, Alisan and Mary Sarah with Hannah, Bryan and Laith singing for the instant save to secure the fourth spot. However, Laith or Bryan or Hannah could have enough fans to sneak in the top three and knock Mary Sarah out.

• Lizzie says:

Way more than country fans are going to be buying Adam’s music – his fan base is pretty big, across blues and the country soul range more than country alone.

27. Fran a says:

Allison Porter a freshness we need ,

28. Carolyn Wood says:

Oh my God too hard to pick. I want 3 of them to win but I hope Christina team wins.

29. Margaret says:

I think Hannah Huston, should be in the top four. She had very little experience with performing and singing. She is so good and deserves to be top four. Her voice is mesmerising !

30. Ann says:

The top 4 should be Adam, Allison,
    Bryan and Hannah!!!
    Laith, Paxton, Shalyah were just not as good as the rest and Mary Sarah needs to be the first to go ASAP!!!!

31. MariaCo says:

Alison Porter and Shalyah Fearing, I just don’t consider that much screaming is singing.

32. Lizzie says:

I think it will be Adam, Alisan, and Laith going through, with the bottom 2 Paxton and Shalyah.
    I also think it’s possible that Alisan may end up in the sing for the East Coast save slot, which she would win.

33. Hannah Brown says:

Well you were wrong BC Hannah just proved she is a true artist and Mary Sara will win the 4 the slot. I know I know I know!

34. newsdee says:

Okay, we have Hannah, Alisan, and Adam, I hope that Bryan is saved. I would hate for Blake’s Mary Sarah to beat him out……..but she probably will.

• Huckleberry says:

I think Hannah had garnered some of Mary Sarah’s supporters. And there seems to be enough Blues-Rock fans that use twitter, to put Laith in the Finals, and he stayed away from Adele songs in the sing-off, or Bryan would have beat him.

• Bonnie says:

She should have!

35. april says:

#Brain

36. ginette dawson says:

I can’t even believe that Laith is having to prove himself. When he sings, it’s like he’s already performing a concert. Unbelievable.

37. Crystal says:

I do t know who Hannas father is not he must own the show. She has no personality. She is hard to look at. She has one Dave and it looks like she is in pain…I hate her!

38. Bonnie says:

Don’t think it is fair to go on tweet votes the night of the vote off because that is NOT a true account of the votes! Mary Sarah had the most votes of the three in the sing off!

39. Cynthia Pigg says:

Mary Sarah should have been one of the three she placed higher on iTunes than Hannah. What a srew up! Hannah should of sang to be saved!

• Bonnie says:

You are right! This tweet stuff is not fair on the night of the vote off!!

• Lena says:

I voted like crazy for Hannah and got some friends to vote. I imagine the vote counts were very close between Mary and Hannah, I’d like to think my dedication made the difference tonight. Hannah might not have made it if she had to rely on Twitter. Even more amazing is that Laith, who wasn’t top 10 on iTunes made it. All four coaches have representation! I’m looking forward to next week.

40. emma sims says:

Alisan should not have been on the show she is not amature .not fair for the others who are singing their hearts out. I am one person. I will not watch the voice again too many bad choices.

41. In my opinion Laith should not even be on this show. He is a professional.

• Paul E. Reeves: I don’t think your comment is fair. Many of the contestants who have been on The Voice have had singing gigs. People may know who they are in their home towns…and maybe they even recorded a song or two and/or sang at a club or a festival-so what…this didn’t make them a nationally and/or even a state recognized vocal artist. If they had already achieved huge successes in the music industry…they wouldn’t need to be on The Voice. I mean…come on…did any of us ever hear his name before we saw him on The Voice? Of course not…which is why he deserves to be on The Voice just as much as anyone else. Lathe didn’t sign up for this because he had nothing else better to do. Being a contestant on the voice has got to be exciting and yet extremely difficult and stressful. To work so hard and yet know on one will be left standing in the end has got to be really hard. These contestants works their butts off on this show. Laith… as well as every other contestant on the voice are all there…all because they want to further their musical careers…they want to be coached, critiqued, praised, encouraged…and they do it so that they can be recognized for their talents…they do it because they want a chance to advance their dream careers. I admire this in all of them. If Laith was already a much recognized artist in the music industry and if he was already highly successful… He wouldn’t have bothered to audition for the voice. Why put yourself through torture if you don’t need it? Apparently he needed this opportunity and I give him credit for grabbing onto it. He deserves a chance like everyone else so give him a break. Laith is clearly very talented and he deserves to be where he is right now. I wish him the best!

42. Ruby Lucille says:

Although I find Allison talented, I don’t find her voice quality emeorable, nor do I think that someone who has already had a professional, high profile career should be on this show. If she wins and this show starts trending toward already-famous types, I will stop watching.

43. Sherry Bernstein says:

i CAN’T BELIEVE SHALAE DIDN’T MAKE IT T THE FINALE WITH BEAUTIFL VOICE SHE HAS BY FAR THE BEST VOICE ON THE SHOW THIS YEAR…..

44. deborah paul says:

Alison Porter is the rightful winner of the Voice. Her Voice surpasses all others. She is a true STAR and deserves the title………………..The Voice