ABC Live Musical

ABC Developing Live Musical Event: Which Disney Movie Should It Be?

ABC is (finally) getting in on the live musical game.

Though she wasn’t ready to reveal any specifics, ABC president Channing Dungey told reporters on Tuesday that a live musical event — in the vein of Fox’s Grease: Live and NBC’s The Wiz Live!, among other recent endeavors — is currently “in development.”

Dungey added that whichever production is chosen, it will be one that “speaks to the heart of who we are at ABC as part of the Disney family.”

Disney, of course, has a long history of turning its properties — both animated and live-action — into stage musicals, should ABC choose to dip into that well. Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Newsies, Aladdin and The Little Mermaid have all enjoyed successful runs on Broadway and on national tours, while countless other films have been adapted for stage shows at Disney theme parks.

So let’s talk, people: Which Disney movie(s) would you like to see done live on ABC? Drop a comment with your pick(s) below.

1. C says:

Any musical not named Frozen is fine with me…

2. Tara17 says:

The Little Mermaid of course.

3. Lisa B says:

As much as I love “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Lion King,” I think it would be great to bring “Mary Poppins” to a new generation.

• Anne says:

Yes. This. Decision made. It has to be Mary Poppins. And both Julie and Dick could be in it!! Maybe not as the leads (though that would be spectacular)

• ScottJ says:

Might be a bit too complicated. A new Mary Poppins movie is about to start filming for release next year.

• Troy says:

I was thinking the same thing, I think Mary Poppins would probably be the easiest live musical that they could pull off. I think it would be really cute if they did a live Mary Poppins musical event!

4. Marco says:

Beauty And The Beast?

5. peterwdawson says:

I’m going to go outside the box and say Black Cauldron.

6. Daya says:

Why do I have a feeling it’s going to be one that’s been done to death, like Cinderella?

I’d like something new, like Aladdin or Little Mermaid. (Has Mermaid ever been on tour?) Or maybe something that isn’t even a stage show yet, like Mulan or Brave.

• Ali says:

No tour for Mermaid. After it essentially bombed on Broadway, they never gave it a touring company.
      Also well Mulan has never had a Broadway run, Disney does have a kids version that can be used by community theater groups.

• Daya says:

I would be interested in seeing an adult version of Mulan…of course, since I’ve heard that some company is developing a live action movie, that may be as close as we get.

• Mary in Ohio says:

The Little Mermaid is coming to Columbus Ohio in January 2017 so I am pretty sure it has a touring company. I’m so excited!

7. Daphne says:

Oh I would looooooove an Aladdin musical!!!

• Hunchback of Notre Dame … It was in London. It has a fantastic stage show in the parks. And there was buzz about it coming to Broadway eventually. The music is amazing and there is limited stage “trickery” needed.

• Erin says:

The musical of Hunchback of Notre Dame, which played here in San Diego last year, is way too dark and adult for them to use as for the TV adaptation. They will want something fun and lighthearted that the whole family can watch together. My guess is they will do Beauty and the Beast, as it is a lovely show that has been around for more than twenty years and is no longer on Broadway.

8. Jeff says:

It won’t be anything currently playing on Broadway. Of closed shows, Beauty and the Beast could be ENORMOUS.

• Rob says:

But they’re doing the live action movie adaptation of the beauty and the beast musical so they wouldn’t want it to compete.

• Sara says:

Would they do Beauty and the Beast right now though, since the live action movie will be out soonish?

9. Will says:

While it won’t happen, would love for it to be Newsies! Such a good production!

10. Patrick says:

Aida!

11. H says:

Not gonna be Lion King or Aladdin. I know that much. They’re currently playing on Broadway.

12. big cheddar says:

Spiderman the Musical! The Lion King! I’m just trying to think of some characters that haven’t appeared on OUAT or AoS. Honestly, I have now idea what they should do, but I’ll watch it.

13. ally says:

love this! there is no way they will do aladdin seeing it is a best seller on broadway right now. my guess is mary poppins or something else that is old that hasnt been adapted for this generation yet. beauty and the beast was fantastic on broadway but a new movie version is coming out soon.

14. iHeart says:

isn’t it obvious? it should be one of the Disney Broadway productions

15. Rob says:

It’s gonna be Mary Poppins so that it’s on everyone’s minds when they do the Emily Blunt sequel. They may even have her star in the live musical production because branding and vertical integration and what not.

16. I’d love to see The Little Mermaid! Matt Bomer as Prince Eric!!

17. Lauren says:

Tangled would be really fun

18. kim says:

frozen for sure

19. John says:

TARZAN

20. Maddie says:

Old Yeller or Tron.

21. Gail says:

It will probably one of the Broadway shows that completed its run on Broadway and touring. Also one that is not being remade as live action. That eliminates Beauty and The Beast, Lion King, and Aladdin. Mary Poppins is possible but they are planning a movie sequel. Could be the Little Mermaid , Newsies, or Aida. Of the three the most likely is the Little Mermaid.

• Gail says:

I forgot Tarzan was also on Broadway. That is another possibility but Little Mermaid seems more likely. Disney ABC will do something that already exists. They will not do a live show of an animated film that has not already been turned into a Broadway show. Hence No Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella, Lady and The Tramp etc.

Another problem with Mary Poppins is the rights to do the show on stage are held by Cameron Mackintosh. Disney became a co producer of the show because they own the movie music.
      Who knows if Disney even has the rights to put the stage musical on TV.

• ninergrl6 says:

Cinderella has a (very successful) stage show but it’s Rogers & Hammerstein, not Disney. It actually originated as a TV musical before it transferred to the stage.
        My vote is still for Newsies. Heck, I’d take a movie that is literally a single-camera recording of the stage show. The choreography is INCREDIBLE.

22. :-) says:

I would love if if it was Aladin. Cross promotion. Disney loves that. I saw it on Broadway it’s amazing. Everyone needs to see it with it’s current cast

23. Lee says:

Newsies would be an amazing thing to see. Those dance numbers and story could transition nicely to screen

24. Yolanda says:

It’s gonna be Evita with Nicole Scherzinger in title role. Her rendition of Don’t Cry For Me Argentina is out of this world.

25. A says:

The should do Lion King, but I think they’ll play it safe and do Mary Poppins.

26. Jane says:

I’d prefer Newsies, something different

27. Lizzie says:

Count me among those who’d like to see them do Aida. It’s underrated and less-known, so it wouldn’t have to worry about duplicating the movie and/or Broadway version to the letter. It has a GORGEOUS and sophisticated score. And, it would speak to both sides of ABC’s brand: as part of the Disney family and as a destination for female-driven, dramatic, often romantic stories.

That said, Newsies would be a fantastic option too, especially with the tour closing soon and, since a live-action movie already exists, it wouldn’t be “interfering” the same way, say, a Beauty and the Beast TV version might.

28. IRON WILL says:

OKAY…what is the ONE DISNEY MUSICAL that has NO REBOOT or RE-IMAGINING or SEQUEL in the works…

Answer? BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS!

This 1970s Angela Lansbury charmer was a worthy successor to Mary Poppins (with songs also by the Sherman brothers) and had a ‘Narnia’ WWII fantasy vibe. I LOVED it growing up.

It would be a real out-of-the-box idea and not retread characters from Once Upon A Time, a successful Broadway production or a reboot already done/in development.

29. Kathleen Waeltermann says:

Aladdin

30. Thomas says:

I Think will be Mary Poppins or Aladdin
    They Show are So delighted and breataking and they can Bringing Disney live musical on TV
    And I Thinking it will Be Aladdin is a Smash Hit on Broadway and i will Be Aladdin will make into a Live Musical

31. Fran says:

Hocus Pocus! No sequel could ever do it justice, but a stage show with expanded music would be amazing! and would be perfectly timed to be live for Halloween

32. Alice says:

Aida…. a great show… good songs I’d like to see it….

33. Liz says:

I’d love to see The Lion King. I’ve never had the opportunity to see it live on stage. I have seen the Mary Poppins musical and wasn’t impressed. I really didn’t like the arrangement changes they made. The other one I’d love to see is Newsies. Aladdin would be good too, the version at Disney’s California Adventure that closed last year was great!

34. ninergrl6 says:

Any Disney musical would be great, but I’m a die-hard Fansie so Newsies would 100% be my choice.

35. A stage adaptation of Galavant.

36. Em chicago says:

Newsies, especially if they can get Dan and Stephanie from the National tour back.

• ninergrl6 says:

Or Jeremy Jordan (unlikely since he’s on a show on another network) or Corey Cott (unlikely since he’s opening another Broadway show in the fall) or Kara Lindsey (not sure if she has another long-term gig lined up after Wicked)

37. Meghan Burns says:

The lion king, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Mulan or Brave

38. Miguel guzman says:

aladdin

39. Miguel guzman says:

aladdin would be the fun one

40. matty says:

Mary Poppins makes sense to me.

41. Rayne says:

Hunchback with Michael Arden and Ciara Renee.

42. Jill says:

Pocahontas could be cool. Brave would be good too. Or maybe Tangled.

43. incognito says:

Is there a DIsney movie they can chose which wont be immediately offensive to some ethnic or gender group? I know we all loved them growing up… but in retrospect some of those stories were just wrong. Safest bet’s probably going with a Pixar classic or and animal-centric animated one (but tbh, even those have their wtf moments)

44. Zeph says:

Some interesting choices here – I particularly love the Bedknobs and Broomsticks suggestion. But if we’re thinking outside the box….
    Several years ago Disney did a touring stage production called “On the Record”. No dialogue, just songs and a small cast. It was set up as a recording session for a “concert” of both popular and slightly obscure Disney songs, with four leads – the experienced older couple and the young ‘ingenue’ up-and-comers, plus four backup performers (again, two male, two female) and the musicians. And when I say no dialogue, just songs, I don’t mean in the traditional musical sense either. The ‘story’ was completely told through inflection, facial expressions and body language and to some extent in which songs were given to which performer. And it definitely played against expectations, for example making “A Whole New World” a subtly innuendo-ed duet between the experienced female lead and the young male newcomer. With the right casting, it could work well for the ‘live musical’ category, would meet the previously on-stage criteria, and wouldn’t potentially clash with any planned movie or Broadway productions.

45. Adam says:

“The Little Mermaid”!!! It deserves a second life!!! I saw the original stage cast in Denver before the show went to Broadway. I would love to see how much the script has changed since then!!!

46. Elaine myers says:

Beauty and the Beastwo would be wonderful. It has so many lessons of love and acceptance in the story.