Mike & Molly Recap: Double Trouble — Grade the Series Finale!

Warning: Stop right there if you have yet to watch the Mike & Molly series finale. This is your one and only warning.

Mike & Molly came to an end on Monday as the eponymous duo welcomed their first child, William Michael Biggs, via adoption — and discovered that their second child was already on the way.

In “Curse of the Bambino,” Mike and Molly’s eagerness to hear back from the adoption agency prompted them to do whatever was necessary to sway the odds of getting a baby in their favor. While Mike paid a visit to Carl’s psychic, Molly turned to Catholicism. We’re not saying their efforts worked, but that call did come after Mike took Madame Vianne’s advice and gave up something he loved, trading in his cherished car for a family minivan; meanwhile, Molly turned to prayer and buried Peggy’s necklace of St. William (the patron saint of adoption) in the backyard.

In the second half hour, “I See Love,” the central couple got a call informing them that the mother of their baby was in labor — three weeks earlier than expected. Once at the hospital, Joyce and Peggy’s contentious relationship came to a head when Mike’s mom asked the parents-to-be to move in with her to create a more wholesome environment for her grandchild. The fight was quickly broken up, however, as the in-laws were forced to play nice in front of Mike and Molly’s adoption advocate (played by Fresh Prince vet Vernee Watson). Once the family feud reached its conclusion, Mike got a moment to ask Carl to be the godfather to his child; similarly, Molly asked Victoria to be the godmother. (Oh, and did we mention Carl and Victoria are sort of back together? Perhaps those crazy kids have a future after all.)

After Mike and Molly brought out William to introduce him to the entire Flynn-Biggs clan, she announced that, against all odds, she was about to be a mother of two. An earlier bout of nausea convinced her to buy a pregnancy test at the hospital gift shop, confirming her suspicion of a pregnancy she and Mike figured was impossible. Finally, as the episode drew to a close, the overwhelmed couple embraced the joys of new parenthood and sang the sitcom’s uplifting theme song to their newborn son as he drifted off to sleep.

What did you think of Mike & Molly‘s happy ending? Was this the right time to end the show? Grade the episode in our poll, then sound off below.

1. thisismenow says:

It’s kind of sad it is over. Like 75% of the shows I watched are going off the air. I’ll have more time to read now.

2. ann says:

Sounds like Rules of Engagement’s finale.

• Amber says:

And the King of Queens finale…

• It’s not all that uncommon for a couple to become pregnant following an adoption. It happens in real life and on the big and small screen.

For instance, Sex and the City (the movie) had Charlotte and Harry becoming pregnant after adopting their little girl from China. Are we to conclude that the movie version of Sex and the City ripped off King of Queens as well?

I honestly think that Mike & Molly pulled off this finale in its on right–much like Breaking Bad making its mark long after criticism was made that the show was a rip off of Weeds.

• Amanda says:

Pretty cliche ending, but I’ll allow it.

• Amy Kat says:

On TV, nothing helps infertile women more than adoption. That said, this does happen in real life – it did to my parents and my cousin.

• Phil says:

Exactly, the writers gave up on mike and molly. How hard is it to come up with more original writing.

• Jack says:

And Friends. Monica and Chandler adopted twins, but basically the same. She found out she was pregnant afterwards. Is that really all they could come up with? Disappointed

• Jack says:

Oops I just realized she did NOT find out she pregnant. They just adopted the twins. My mistake. But the examples above me were dead on. It’s still overused in series finales

• JTs MOM says:

my thoughts exactly. not very original.

3. David4 says:

That sounds like a nice way to end the show.

4. Sam says:

It was a beautiful end to an incredible show. What loss for CBS. They keep The Odd Couple and Two Broke Girls, but cancel this show? Sad to see it go.

• suzi says:

I agree. I really enjoyed the show. It always delivered the laughs for me, something neither of the shows you mentioned did–especially Two Broke Girls, which just made me cringe before I stopped watching (Season One).Statistically, it’s common for people who have tried to get pregnant for years to conceive after adoption, so I don’t mind that this has been done before, especially since it was was done so well here.

5. Deborah DeLuca says:

It would have been nice if they had a post script to let us,know whether Mike and Molly’s second is a boy or girl.

6. hbeachman says:

King of Queens ended similarly: Carrie & Doug were picking up their adopted daughter in China when Carrie discovered she was pregnant after lots of trouble conceiving.

• NJMark says:

It wasn’t a finale, but this trope goes back, at very least, to the the Mary Tyler Moore show, when Georgette got pregnant after she and Ted adopted Cousin Oliver.

7. Shar says:

Only thing I could think was now that she’s pregnant, why not allow another couple to be parents since they had no real contact with the birth mom.

• Dale says:

Why wouldn’t you give up your child? You can have more in your own. It’s about 40k to adopt a child in the US domestically (speaking from experience) why would they abandon their baby just because they nkw have another one on the way

• Kari says:

Wow, I hope you don’t have kids. That’s a horrible thing to even think! As if the adopted child someone is expecting and looking forward to is expendable from their life because suddenly they have a kid of their own.

• Kris says:

Artificial twinning isn’t good and agencies try and prevent this. They want 12 months between birth and placements. There is a six month period before the adoption is final. I just don’t understand finding out in the hospital you are pregnant and taking a baby home. In real life the parents can’t legally relinquish for many days mostly after the baby is discharged in Il with babies coming home very soon after birth. 1% of infertile women have a pregnancy after an adoption, at some point after. Ridiculous number of shows make this an assumption and it’s very painful when people think this is real and cheer on infertile friends and family with this method to fix infertility. The truth is there are lots more couples who want to adopt than children available. It sounds like they showed the desperate efforts to secure this placement were made to them in the storyline. In real life there are usually 3 broken matches, even days after the baby goes into the home of the prospective adoptive family, until there is a successful match. What about the birth dad? In real life no woman would take the pregnancy test until after the baby was brought home and some time had passed. It’s not about Molly and Mike feeling like they are the child’s parents. It’s not abandoning. The physical custody and the forever family milestones come later no matter how they feel. Just a show. But imagine you gave birth and chose a couple who couldn’t have children only to find out they knew at the hospital they were pregnant? You thought you were giving your child a chance to be an only child. You would have rechosen a different couple if you had known. This just isn’t true protocol.

• KatsMom says:

I understand what you’re saying. There are so many couples waiting anxiously and it seems a bit greedy or selfish for them to have both an adopted child and a baby on the way. But, at the same time, if I were them, I would think that having more than one child seemed like a long shot, given how expensive and arduous the adoption process can be, and how much trouble I had conceiving in the first place. Being somewhat prone to pessimism, I’d be thinking that it’s still really early in the pregnancy and I could miscarry or have other complications. And, in the end, I’d do exactly what they did. I’d take that little dream in my arms and be thankful that my baby would have a big brother.

• KatsMom says:

I thought it was well done. The ending with Mike and Molly singing the theme song to their baby was lovely and touching. Yes, it’s cliche, but, at the end of the day, people want the characters they’ve been watching for years to be happy, and there are a finite number of ways to accomplish that. My only gripe about the finale? The car seat. I get why they installed it incorrectly (that is to say forward-facing). Aesthetically speaking it’s nice not to have a big ole seat blocking the shots, and Joyce needed to scoot over once they picked up Mike’s Mom. (which made me wonder if it was even an infant car seat, because it looked more like a booster for a much older child). But, given that Mike made a big deal talking about how he’d bought the safest car seat, the fact that it was completely wrong for a newborn really bugged me.

8. Ron Wilson says:

Ripped off the Rules of Engagement ending. To the letter.

• noitaw says:

Ripped off or recycled? James Brooks fathered MTM, Rules of Engagement, and Mike and Molly. So, he ended his shows the same way. He also made the Simpsons happen, and probably KoQs. You are right, though. Brooks must really hate Les Moonves, head creep at CBS.

9. Tom says:

The ending was so sweet. I loved it. Would be nice to know what the end up having, but…it was sweet.

10. qweenperky says:

Don’t knock this as being a cliché. (Adoption and then getting pregnant)

My husband and I tried for years, adopted our son at aged 2 1/2 and 3 months after he moved in I was pregnant with our daughter.

It happens.

• jj says:

Nobody is claiming it doesn’t happen. The point people are making is that it isn’t an original finale as it’s been done before.

11. mike says:

Help me to understand. ..An absolutely senseless..sexist, booby. show like 2 broke girls stays on, while a witty, side splitting, thoughtful show like Mike and Molly is cancelled! What idiot made THAT decision?

• april-ann says:

Melissa McCarthy

• Pat Hatt says:

I don’t think it was Melissa McCarthy’s decision. I saw her interviewed and she said she was shocked when she heard it was cancelled. I can’t believe it was cancelled and that awful show 2 Broke Girls can stay on!

• april-ann says:

She became a major movie actress, starring in blockbusters and carrying some of them on her own. There was no stopping her. It may not have been her decision, but I don’t think CBS was interested in a show called “Mike”.

12. chadcronin says:

I would be less bothered if they had not trimmed 9 episodes from this season. I think the show could have gone on a few more seasons. I don’t see any advantages in ending good family comedies with heart that aren’t easily replaced. I like shows I Love, not just something watchable and that’s mostly what I see is coming up.

13. Antygone says:

They stole the end from King of Queens. After Doug and Carrie race to China to adopt the child without the other, they reconcile, adopt the baby together, then find out Carrie’s pregnant.

• BrightLight says:

See I always thought KoQ “stole” that from The Mary Tyler Moore show and by stole I meant they did it as a tribute. I see someone else remembered MTM too! *high five* (It’s my fave comedy of all time.)
      Either way, I’ll really miss this show. It was always good for some good laughs. Honestly I always enjoyed the two moms (Joyce and Peggy) more than Mike and Molly. I’m glad they actually got to have a proper finale and not get canceled at the end of the season and have me wonder what happened. Not gonna lie, I teared up when they sang the theme song to baby William.

14. PatriciaLee says:

We haven’t seen it, yet, but the husband said last night, ” I don’t think I’m ready to let go.” Dirty rotten shame they’re cancelling it.

15. Jeri says:

It’s nice to see Molly happy. Her character has been crabby so often the last few seasons I felt sorry for Mike. Glad they ended up happy.

16. never say never mike and molly the way the last season 6 ended this hopefully are one of the tv series that might come back

17. bert says:

FANTSATIC FINALE!!!

18. Lcampo says:

I thought it was a good ending but it was exactly the same way King of Queens ended, didn’t like that it was copied.

19. would have been nice to see it come back so we could welcome the second baby

20. Dadood Frumcheers says:

So much for originality. King of Queens did it better.

21. Kathy says:

I will dearly miss this show. Loved every character. Wish Carl had proposed to Victoria but that was inferred I guess. Hope I see these actors on other shows. Such a quality show. Will miss all the cast.

22. noitaw says:

“Mike and Molly,” like another James Brooks project “Rules of Engagement,” was a funny show that pulled in great numbers, too. As a born-in-Lakeview/Wrigleyville, 52year lifetime Chicagoan, I was amazed at the realism of how Chicago was portrayed; the production values blew me away. Both of these premaurely canceled CBS shows had identical endings, with the lead couples adopting a newborn, then getting a surprise pregnancy. Well done, though repetitive, but more than Les Moonves deserves. He is an idiot.

23. sounds like the kong of queens finale from 2007

24. Kmayne says:

I can not understand how 2 broke Girls gets renewed when most of the cast are IMHO poor actors. Mike & Molly consistently gave it all. All the characters were good. Was the reason because contract was up and they thought McCarthy would want to much of pay hike? Do not care it was ripped off from other sitcoms I loved it and will Mike & Molly and their crazy family

25. Pat says:

I was really sad to see this end. This had to be one of the funniest shows that I ever watched. Every character on here made me laugh. I have no idea why it was cancelled. As a big fan of this show, I never seem to get the real answers as to why they did this. If it was CBS who made this decision and not any of the actors who wanted to leave, then all I can say is “Stupid is as Stupid does” and CBS you were stupid!

26. It was nice to see this show going back to its original tone and style for these last few episodes. Once they wrote Molly out of her teaching job, I always felt like they were trying to make the show into a Melissa McCarthy action comedy – not that those arent enjoyable to watch – but this show started with so much more heart that slapstick. I felt like the finale and the episodes leading up to it was a fitting end and more true to all the characters than some of what they had been doing in the previous two seasons.

27. Bev says:

I see a Victoria/Carl spin off. (and show finales have to end on something one of 3 ‘big’ moments in life: Wedding. Move. Baby.

28. LT says:

LOVED IT!

29. Kim R says:

It was great to see all the actors have a part in the finale and yes, it was kind of a cliche but Mike & Molly singing their theme song to the baby as the final scene was so touching for me, I loved it. :-)

30. It would be awesome if Netflix or another network would continue with this. CBS left it wide open at the end

• april-ann says:

It would have to be called “Mike”. There’s no way Melissa McCarthy would have renewed her contract. She has become a major movie star and no longer has time for TV shows.

31. Can CBS come up with a fresh ending? it was the same ending as King of Queens…very disappointed.

32. Paul Brophy says:

CBS can blow out out there you know what for cancelling Mike and Molly was the last draw. My household already doesn’t watch ABC for this kind of BS and noiw we will not watch CBS!!!!!

33. Shsron collins says:

Dont take it away. Its the best thing on tv… Come on Season 7

34. Lisa Nabors says:

I thought it was the perfect ending to a wonderful show! I hate it’s the end. It is one of two shows my husband will watch with me. Really! It is being cancelled and Two Broke Girls is still on? Something definitely wrong with that picture! M&M will be missed greatly!

35. Miguel NOchair says:

Let’s not forget she was pregnant on the last episode of season 3 but they made the baby disappear in Season 4 to re-pilot the series…

36. farewell Mike and Molly it was a great run says:

So sad to see the best comedy on television end/-farewell Mike and Molly it was a great run

37. Dagny Ross says:

Please bring back Mike & Molly! Or spin it off!

38. Melissa says:

Mike & Molly,
    Please don’t cancel this show. We love it. My family & I look forward to this show every week. Now to cancel this show when it’s having so much success it crazy. It’s funny, loving & realistic. Not everyone is a size 2 (which I am) & extremely handsome. This show gives everyone some hope. That you don’t have to be perfect to have fun & fit in. I really think that it’s a HUGE mistake to cancel this show.

39. Debbie says:

I am saddened to lose Mike and Molly I love the cast and will miss them like family. A beautiful show!
    As opposed to one right after another NCIS Type shows. with murder and teaching violence. What is wrong with you CBS!

40. Lori g says:

I want mike and Molly to continue. This is a good show!!and the ending leaves to much to be continued. Please bring back!!!

41. Carolyn gross says:

So happy with the ending!!!!!

42. Cat says:

Typical didnt this happen on king of queens

43. Trish D says:

I’m really bummed about Mike and Molly leaving tv. It was a great sitcom, and there are so few out there anymore. I seriously don’t find anything else worth watching, except occasionally Big Bang Theory. What happened to the well written shows? Some of the really lame ones get to go on forever, like that

44. Tina. Dailey@ 22gmail, com says:

My family an I loved Mike an Molly,we looked forward to watching it every week,all the great shows get cancelled an lame BS , shows like two broke girls,will droll! On for 15 seasons,!!!! So stupid!!!! The only funny sitcom left is big bang theory, ,,, king of queens is gone,an several others,,,,gonna miss the Flynn,BIggs family!

45. Milina says:

Why.. just why would they cancel mike and molly i love that show…. 😣

46. Karen says:

I hate they ended the series so early. I thought it was an awesome show. Good comedies are few and far between. I will miss Mike and Molly.

47. amber gil says:

I am so sad. Soon as I really like a show, it gets taken off. I thought the show was ready to really take off with the addition of children. Wish it was still on. :(

48. Chenoa says:

DOES LENOARD & PENNY EVER HAVE CHILDREN?

49. Pam says:

Mike & Molly was one of my favorite shows! I was not ready for it to end. Please bring it back! I’d love to see how the family manages the new babies and finally see Carl and Victoria get married and begin a family. Then end it! You see with all the crazy stuff going on in the world this show calmed me and made me feel good 😊. Great 📺 bring it back! Mike & Molly forever….