Exclusive
Bates Motel Season 5 Marion Crane

Bates Motel Season 5 to Introduce Psycho Icon Marion Crane

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the shower…

Bates Motel, which in Monday’s Season 4 climax teed up a truly Psycho final season by killing off matriarch Norma Bates, is planning to introduce the film’s most iconic victim, Marion Crane.

In an interview with TVLine, exec producer Carlton Cuse teased, “We do hope to see Marion Crane next season,” before adding, “That will be a big moment.” Asked if the character — portrayed in the horror classic by Janet Leigh — will appear in multiple episodes, Cuse responded, “Yes.”

The news serves as further confirmation that Bates Motel‘s fifth and final season will be full-tilt Psycho, right down to the legendary shower scene that felled Marion. “We wanted the final season to allow us to do our version of the Psycho lore,” Cuse explained in our Season 4 finale post mortem. “We will be colliding with certain events in the narrative of the film, but it would be boring to just recreate Psycho.”

OK, slip on your Armchair Casting Director cap and proceed to the comments with an answer to this tantalizing question: Who should play Bates‘ Marion? We’ll get you started: Anna Camp!

1. wrstlgirl says:

This is so friggin awesome I can’t hardly stand it!!!

2. Diana says:

Bates Motel is my absolute favorite TV show!!! I am so thrilled to hear that it’s coming back with another season! I was afraid that it was over after leading us up to the death of his mother and him finally going all the way over the edge!!! It’s brilliantly written. I also think Freddie Highmore is worthy of an award for his portrayal of Norman Bates.

• N8frogg78 says:

It was picked up for both season 4 and 5 at the same time last year. They’ve always wanted 5 seasons and they got it.

• Joseph Graziose says:

Thoroughly engrossed by this show and I haven’t seen anything I like on TV since Gary Shandlings late 80’s show. How Vera made her eyes that glassy and dead was unsettling last night for me. I was disappointed that stunning Olivia Cooke was not included for a reaction scene as the pathos she brought to Emma Dacody’s character was phenomenal for me….I’d like to see a series on her marriage to Dylan as the decision to finally pair them makes for a wonderful chemistry..

• crystal says:

I totally agree! Freddie is a super talented actor. He deserves an award for sure. I am always in awe when I watch him. Hope he goes on to other things I can see him in!!!!

3. Dan says:

I have been waiting for this!!!!

4. Margie says:

I am heart broken over Bates Motel ending next season! Truly I thought this was the finale episode tonight since Alex went to jail, Dylan moved away, Norma’s dead & who knows what Normand will do. Please don’t make next season the last! Besides who will save Normand since Mother isn’t around? Bates is my FAVORITE tv show so how will I be able to wait until March, 2017?????

• AB says:

Margie, you really don’t know the source material, do you? There is no “saving Norman” (saving him from WHAT, exactly? Himself?)
      Oh, and Bates Motel was always meant to be 5 seasons. The creators have said so multiple times since season 1.

• jp says:

How would you expect more than one more season?

• Z says:

Who’s “Normand”?

• Pemichel says:

Who’s Marlon? In the article it is written: ” Who should play Bates‘ Marlon? We’ll get you started: Anna Camp! I get typos, but no proof reader?? LOL

• Joe says:

There is no happy ending, watch the movie Psycho

• Lori says:

No one want’s a happy ending. Just more of this incredible show. I can watch the scariest of scary but seeing Norman’s view of Norma’s DEAD eyes I even had to look away once. Great stuff guys.

5. Cheyenne says:

Hold up… multiple episodes? Are they re-writing the movie? In the move she was killed the first night she stayed at the motel.

• KaitlynK says:

Not every episode takes place on a different day and multiple episodes could always mean at the end of the episode they show her pulling into the hotel and being greeted hospitably right before the credits roll. I think only like a year and a half has passed on the show.

• They actually stated in the article above that they want to do the Psycho lore…in other words, they will be redoing all the content of the movie within the fifth season.

• jp says:

The movie is more than hour. We have to get the point where Norma is all dried up so they will have to do more with that side of the story and we have to cover the story leading up to Marion leaving her life. That’s several eps right there. I’m sure it will be good!

• N8frogg78 says:

He says right their in the bottom of the article that CC said “we don’t want to just recreate Phsyco that would be boring”. They want to do their own spin on it.
      Where you one of the people complaining leading up to the premier episode that it was gonna be set in present day? Or how about the entire Dylan relationship?

6. M. Brown says:

“Slip on your Armchair Casting Director cap and proceed to the comments with an answer to this tantalizing question: Who should play Bates‘ Marion?”

Elizabeth Olsen or Kate Mara.

7. Sydney Frantz says:

I think I should tbh. I am in love sigh Psycho and have the perfect scream. I have been practicing.

8. LeighLee says:

Final season? Noo! Already? Norman’s not even grown yet.

• linda says:

ya if I remember right there was another movie where norman was grown and had married the nurse and she got pregnant but norman freaked out cause he didn’t want kids.then he started talking to the person on the radio remember ? so how can season 5 be the last? please this is truly one of the best shows on tv. vera and Freddie are the ultimate. I know they have more ideas for more seasons. maybe if enough of us throw a fit they will reconsider huh ?

• N8frogg78 says:

The sequels sucked and their plan from season 1 was to get 5 seasons out of it. Truthfully they got lucky because season 3s ratings weren’t what they wanted and it took forever for us to get the official renewal. At the time they renewed it for both season 4 and 5 at the same time.

The show has turn from the originals lore already. No need to keep a show going just because it’s good. I much rather A series end wanting more than having it drag out making me beg for it to die already.

9. JO says:

I love Bates Motel. I cannot believe it will end after season 5. Freddy Highmore and Vera Farmiga both do a PHENOMENAL JOB in their depiction of Norman and Norma. They are both truly spectacular actors.

10. Amber Gerome says:

Taissa Farmiga!!!

It would be awesome because of the fact Norman would become infatuated with someone that looks like Norma. And since it’s Vera’s little sister in real life who has played younger versions of Vera it’s a safe bet that if you cast Taissa the resemblence would be undeniable.

11. linda says:

I swear this gets better every time it comes on !!!!!!

12. Penny says:

I’m glad it’s back too. I’m so very sad n mad that Norma is gone already! :( I knew it would happen but, I figured in season 5! It’s not even the same for me now. I think Vera Farmiga is worthy of an emmy for her portrayal of Norma! I’ve been hollaring at the tv all nite about this ending though! Maybe there’s a support group for people like me-“2sad Norma’s Gone Group”, or something lol. Ugh!

13. LAwoman says:

I love this show so much. I’m really excited that the final season will incorporate Marion Crane. Five seasons of high quality is perfect. I can’t wait to see who they cast as Marion. Anna Camp would be great, but I also like the idea of Taissa Farmiga.

14. Dan B says:

Is it really necessary to unveil the big spoiler in the paragraph that shows up under the headline on the main page? I avoid clicking into the recap pages for that reason, and yet this keeps happening

15. Cathy says:

Annie Guest. Grand daughter of Janet and very pretty

16. fudgie says:

Jinx Monsoon should play Marion Crane!

17. Marci says:

I saw the movie when it first came out in 1960; I was 19, and have watched it on TV several times since. The shower scene was the most graphic murder scene in the history of the movies up to that time. It was the grandfather of all of today’s slasher movies. I still can’t take a shower at night or even during the day without the bathroom door locked.
    Anyone who has seen the movie can understand how this series can last only 1 more season, in order to blend in with the storytelling of the movie. Psycho is one of the most iconic films in the history of the movies. I’m glad they’re staying true to its lore. As for who would play Marion Crane? How about her daughter, Jamie Lee Curtis?

• I still lock the door when I take a shower, too! I didn’t realize that I was still scared from that shower scene. It’s just something I’ve always done. Funny how films can impact your daily life.

18. Mary Moore says:

It was sooo sad to see Norma dead. I absolutely love her. She is the most beautiful lady on television and I will miss her so much. I am happy that there will be another season. This is the BEST show on television and I can’t wait until the next season.

19. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Oh Sh*t!!!!! I’ve seen the movie twice and he’ll that shower scene scared the bejesus outta me LOL. Can’t S5 air like right now!

20. RayC says:

They’ve always said it was only going to be five years, but theoretically they could go longer if they chose. In the movie its been 10 year since Norma’s death when the film starts. So, if true to the source it’s going to be a 10-year jump from season 4 to season 5? Also, in the movie, Marion’s sister is told that Norman killed Norma and her lover. So will Norman kill Romero next year?

21. keith says:

That should be the last scene of the series. She checks into Bates Motel.

22. Carolyn Seward says:

I love the idea of either Jamie Lee Curtis’ daughter or Vera Farmiga’s sister, Taissa, for the role of Marion Crane. Both would be great and have a connection to the actresses. How about the way Norma’s eyes looked when Norman glued them open? Freaky or what!!! Really spooky . . . love this show! The whole cast has been wonderful, but special props go to Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga who both really gave stellar performances. Can’t wait till Season 5!

23. OMG..This is gonna be awesome!! truly one of the best shows on tv!!! Here we go Season 5!

24. Anne says:

Alex broke my heart in the final scene of E9…..He too is a good actor that will be missed. I hope we see more of him in S5. What woman wouldn’t want to be loved and protected like that…..all the more tragic for Norma..

25. Jamie Lee Curtis…who else??!?!

26. I loved this show until officer Remero lost Norma. I want to see Norman the worm gets the stuffings beat out of him every time he can get it not only by the sheriff but even by Dillon! This show can’t possibly get any better than it was without Norma. Also no one in the mental hospital was seen in this episode and I find that odd. So I will watch the next season just to see if it can keep you interested sense Norma is gone and if Poor Officer Remero copes alright and heals from such a tragedy but always keeps her on his mind as his only true love unless she had a twin. LOL

27. James F Clark says:

One of my favorite series, and I do not have very many! I am so glad to see them stick to the original (Psycho) influenced script. Sorry to see Norma depart, but it was inevitable. Have a hunch she will be back a lot in Norman’s meanderings. Great show, thank you.

28. Jake says:

I know the show is great, but never really had an interest to tune in. Now with this news, I will be watching eagerly!

29. When Norman dug up the body i knew there’s was no turning back for him .

30. EJ says:

Jamie Lee Curtis of course!😉

31. Mike Zvirblis says:

Jamie Lee Curtis should do that role.

32. Jamie Lee Curtis should play Marion Crane.

33. linda tomasetti says:

I think Christina Ricci should play Marion Crane.

34. Richard a pfeil says:

scarlett johansson should play marion

35. Sea Wolf says:

so this pre-imaging survives its whole life span and they are leading up to their incarnation of Psycho. YES!!!

36. JO says:

Wow! Thanks for ruining it, with no warning for those of us who haven’t seen it yet!! Wtf!

37. I want Elisabeth Hasselbeck to play the one butchered in the shower.

38. babs says:

Hoping Norma is not really dead, that the ruse will be that Norman was only dreaming! I think Elizabeth Banks would be great as she is so funny and cute and offbeat as Marion..

39. Marlene says:

This show has been so good I have enjoyed all 4 seasons, I will be sad to see it go next year, but when a show is this good I think it should leave on a high note before it “Jumps the Shark” as so many shows have done over the years and they keep them going anyway.

40. Gina Cavezza says:

OK another year without Bates Motel. I can’t stand it. What a season. Vera sure
    did a great job playing Dead ! WOW Will miss m Monday nights, now going to go through
    withdrawls again til next year. Love you all and miss you.

41. Lorena Whitaker says:

I love it!! Can’t wait for season 5. ….this is torture!!!! All the actors deserve an award for best performance, best show EVER!!!

42. The show can go on! Norman has a psychotic episode where he blacks out, wakes up, then realizes it was all a horrible dream.

43. militantgod says:

The likes of you are utterly insane. Yes, the show is gonna hire Annie Guest, who has never acted in her life. Brilliant, talk about stunt casting. And get real, this show isn’t going to cast some huge actress to play Marion Crane. ScarJo? Yeah, okay. Why not Jennifer Lawrence while we’re at it.

44. judymadeley says:

Jamie Lee Curtis

45. Marianne says:

Bates is my FAVORITE tv show,impeccable acting by norma and norman,both should win awards for best acting,,I am heart broken over Bates Motel ending next season,,,should go a few more seasons, everyone LOVESSSS it,come on writers you can do it,, Please don’t make next season the last!

46. Joseph Graziose says:

What about an eventual sit-com called and about “Gunner??

47. mary says:

Ann Guest would be perfect.. …or possibly the makeup girl at the morgue she seems freaky enough.

48. Judy says:

Can’t wait till season 5…Freddie deserves an award for sure…hey, how about that guy who brings the chicken casserole to Norman..weird character should definitely hang around couple more episodes…then there’s Normas brother should return….this show is FANTASTIC CASTING AND ACTING….can’t wait till next season…..

49. boujemaa says: