Cruel Intentions Update: NBC 'Still Discussing' Possible Series Order

Cruel Intentions may not have received a formal series order, but NBC is stopping short of calling the Sarah Michelle Gellar-fronted TV adaptation DOA.

During a conference call with reporters to discuss the network’s 2016-17 fall schedule, entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt said the project remains in consideration. “It goes under the heading of embarrassment of riches,” he said. “There’s just so many shows that we have [already] scheduled or ordered.” The exec also conceded that Cruel Intentions is “a bit of an outlier for us, because there’s no other show like it in our list of genres.

“But we like it,” he concluded, “and we’re still discussing it and trying to figure it out.”

Sources tell TVLine that NBC is mulling a possible summer launch for Cruel Intentions, a move that would likely require some some budget-tinkering.

1. flowerduh says:

Again. I hate to be the grammar police. But it’s spelled Sarah. Not Srah. Sorry.

2. chadcronin says:

Let me know when you air it so I have a reason to watch your network again

3. Danny says:

This is so dumb… every show of theirs flops and flops again, no one LIKES NBC. Cruel intentions is a huge get for them. It’s honestly the only interesting pilot this season. Make it a mini series, whatever, but don’t pass on this NBC!

• Sarah96 says:

You don’t talk for everyone lol
      And I heard that there having problems with Sony on the rights of the tv show..it was a movie first so it might create problems with how much each company gets.

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah no. I like NBC and I’m someone. There are about 9 or 10 shows on the network that I watch regularly.

• Brigid says:

You talk for me. The only shows I watch are on ABC, The CW, FOX and cable. CBS and NBC have nothing I like, their shows are very generic and boring in my opinion. I would have watched Cruel Intentions.

4. Matt C. says:

This could be a fun, sudsy summer show. I really hope NBC can fit it in somehow. SMG deserves another hit series, and what better way than to reprise one of her most popular characters?

• lechatnoir says:

They’ll probably have a bridage of Beliebers as guest stars. Codie Simpson , Justin , Selena and the Hadid chicas . Dem millenials will watch the hell out of this.

5. Amelia says:

Does anyone else have the SONG Cruel SUMMER stuck in their head after reading this?

It sounds like this could be what NBC will do.

6. DL says:

Dark and soapy and steamy makes for a perfect summer show. Do it, NBC!

7. This never should have landed in NBC’s hands. It’d be better off on HBO or Showtime.

8. Beth says:

Would be better on HBO or something but please order it NBC. Really looking forward to this

9. Greg says:

I hope another network scoops it. I don’t think it would be much fun as an NBC show, they would water it down and make it too tame. I want it to be as campy and twisted as the movie, so cable sounds like a better fit.

• Tj says:

The same could be said about ‘Hannibal’ but that series produced 3 very high quality seasons and I was hoping ‘Cruel Intentions’ would be the heir aparent.

10. Dennis says:

Ugh I pray this is picked up. I Iove SMG and also this is perfect for a summer run where ratings expectations are less, and buzz could be bigger as the show can be billed as a “fun summer show.” I mean hey it worked for the original 90210 on FOX airing in the summer all those years ago…

11. Lola says:

Oh come on. This was one pilot I was looking forward to.

12. Jay says:

Bummer. One of the only pilots I was interested in

13. Andrew says:

I remember reading the synopsis for this back when it was announced and thought the idea was awful, but I’d expect it to be on The CW, not NBC.

14. David says:

Can Netflix pick this up if NBC opts not to? (Though if they did, a summer show would be a great idea!)

15. Mollie says:

LOL. Sarah Michelle Gellar is ratings poison.

16. QueenB says:

The only new show I was looking forward to. I hope it works out. The movie is one of my all time faves. Why haven’t they book Selma

17. Ray says:

I really want to cheer for NBC because they are the channel I grew up with. Friends, ER, American Dreams, and even Days Of Our Lives. Now I watch Grimm and Blacklist and I DVR Blindspot. Entertainment Weekly had a throw back ratings page to 20 years ago this week. NBC had the top 5 rated shows and 6 of 10 overall, ABC had the other 4. Now NBC puts on bad television or they give up on shows way to quick. I love Kristen Bell but that new show looks dead on arrival.

18. Lynne says:

I thought it was already ordered to series. CI is one of my all time favorite movies so I was getting really excited for this *although I agree with others saying that it would be better on HBO or something* but with this news, maybe I shouldn’t hold my breath.

19. abby says:

I hope this comes to fruition, I miss SMG!! But I do think it’d be a better fit for the CW. (OMG, I almost typed ‘WB’! Showing my age here, haha.