Outlander Recap Season 2 Episode 6

Outlander Recap: Pregnant Pause

Need to catch up? Check out last week’s Outlander recap here.

Even before the Starz adaptation’s first “och” was uttered, readers of Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander novels knew that Jamie’s rape at the end of Season 1 would be a hard to witness, highly upsetting and barely survivable event for them — let alone Mr. and Mrs. Fraser. In a similar vein, ardent fans have been aware for some time now that a painful swath of Book 2 was barreling its way down the cobblestone path.

That terrible interlude begins in this week’s episode, and if you’re anything like me, right about now you might need a hug… or a dram… or a magical, fiction time machine where we skip the sadness and jump to the next snogging scene.

Don’t worry, those of you Newlanders who haven’t devoured the books: I won’t spoil anything for you. Suffice to say that life for Claire and Jamie will get worse before it gets better. But, as we’re reminded in this week, they always find their way back to each other, right? RIGHT?

Read on for the highlights of “Best Laid Schemes.”

A DUEL DELAYED | When we check back in with the Frasers, Murtagh is buzzing with excited plans for the duel now that Randall’s been released from the Bastille. “I’m not dueling with Randall,” Jamie quietly informs his godfather, who demands to know why. “I ken I’m a simple man, but strive for an explanation,” he tells Jamie, who responds, “I canna.” They throw a few more “cannas” around, then the argument ends when Jamie growls, “Trust I’ve a sound reason” at the stymied older man. (Side note: The sheer Scottishness of this scene makes me giddy. I canna explain why.)

RUN, RAYMOND, RUN | Meanwhile, Claire runs takes over dressing a body for burial at L’Hospital des Anges, because Monsieur Forez is needed to serve his kingly duty — aka kill people the Crown wants dead. This batch of the damned will be “practitioners of the dark arts and all those who associate with them,” he informs Claire, going through a rather graphic explanation of how to draw and quarter someone. It soon becomes clear that the ghoulish hangman is giving Claire a veiled warning meant for Master Raymond.

So she runs to the apothecary’s shop to tell him to skedaddle ASAP, and though he brushes off her concerns at first, he soon realizes he’s got to leave town — and that Madame Fraser put herself at considerable risk to alert him. “This is what friends do for one another,” she answers simply.

WE GOOD? | At home that night, the anger Jamie felt toward his wife at the end of the previous episode is either gone or has been bottled up and put in a dark corner to age like a fine Glenlivet, because he’s rubbing her feet in a fairly loving manner. Jamie brings up their argument, refuting her claim that she owes him a life, because he’s saved her a few times, too. “I owe Frank nothing. You had a free choice, and you chose me,” he says. But as Claire starts to get all worked up, he tells her he agreed to delay killing Black Jack because he fears they won’t be able to change history, and that he’ll wind up having to fight in the Battle of Culloden after all.

“And if anything should happen to me, I want there to be a place for you. Someone to care for you, for our bairn,” he says, eyes shiny. “I want it to be a man who loves you.” He makes her promise she’ll go back if things get bad, and she does, then they kiss and he kisses her belly before laying his head on it. Inside Claire’s abdomen, even the Fraserspawn grabs a tissue and dabs at its eyes, so rife with emotion is the exchange.

FULL DISCLOSURE | All that talk aside, the Frasers are still trying to tank Charles’ wine-soaked business venture with St. Germain. So Claire comes up with a way to fake smallpox (via an elixir to be slipped into St. Germain’s sailors’ drinks and an irritant to be brushed on their clothes), and Jamie and Fergus ride to Le Havre in an attempt to make the harbormaster condemn the ship as poxed — like he did in the first episode of the season. But first, Claire and Jamie agree, Murtagh needs to know everything.

So Jamie tells him. In Gaelic. And at the end, Murty says, “If you believe your wife to be a witch, then who am I to contradict ye?” Then he punches Jamie in the jaw for not trusting him with the info from the beginning. All good! Later, Murtagh and Claire share a nice moment when he tells her he wouldn’t want the “burden” of knowing the future.

WINE AND RUSES | The smallpox ruse works… kinda. The “sick” men are sequestered before the harbormaster can do anything, but the wine still needs to get from the port city to Paris — so guess who’s going on a road trip? Because St. Germain will also be along (he doesn’t trust Jamie, which means he’s as smart as he is evil), Jamie and Murtagh devise a plan in which a masked Murtagh and some hired goons pretend to be the gang Le Disciple and ambush the wine transport, stealing the cargo.

The night before the ruse, Claire frets. “Bad things happen when we’re apart,” she tells Jamie while they’re in bed, but he points out that they always return to each other. Just then, the baby moves, taking Jamie by pleasant surprise. “I canna wait to meet ye,” he whispers to Claire’s bump, right before their kiss soon turns into a prelude to sweatier pursuits. “Can we… with the bairn?” he asks, and it’s a good thing Claire’s already knocked up, because she probably would’ve gotten pregnant from Jamie’s tone of voice on that line reading alone. Damn, Heughan! Anyway, Claire says it’s fine as she hitches a leg over her husband, and here ends the smutty reading. Thanks be to Gabaldon.

CHARLES IN CHARGE OF OUR DAYS AND OUR NIGHTS | While Jamie’s away, Claire spends some time trying to turn Louise and her vapid high society friends into social crusaders (A+ for effort, Claire), then throws herself into work at l’hospital. When Mother Hildegarde notices that her top nurse doesn’t look so great, she makes her lay down. That’s when she notices that Claire is bleeding — something she assures the mom-to-be is normal — and then forces her to stay there for the night.

Jamie returns to Paris the next morning and barely has time for a companiable (and cute) breakfast with Fergus before he’s called to Maison Elise: Charles, despondent over the robbery of the wine, has racked up a high bill at the brothel, and he’s refusing to pay. So Jamie and his wee charge visit the house of ill repute. While Jamie is settling Charles’ account, Fergus wanders off and starts poking about in various rooms. When he sees a small bottle he wants to filch, he steps into a bedroom and grabs it. But then the door closes behind him, and we don’t see who’s there, but the boy looks rather worried/scared.

Outlander Recap Season 2‘YOU PROMISED’ | Claire comes back to the apartment later that day, looking pretty peaked and wondering where Jamie is. Finally, Suzette spills the beans, saying, “Milord got into a fight with an English officer.” With a sick look on her face, Claire reads the succinct note Jamie left behind: “I’m sorry. I must.”

So Claire lurches her pregnant, ailing self back to the carriage and demands that Magnus take her to the woods where she knows Jamie and Randall are dueling. She’s in serious discomfort/pain on the way there, angrily breathing “You promised!” like it’s her Lamaze focus phrase. And when she gets to the clearing where Black Jack and Jamie are sweaty and trying to fillet each other, she realizes there’s nothing to be done. “All I could do was wait to see which of my men would die: Jamie or Frank,” she voiceovers as the swords clash in front of her.

As it turns out, there is something Claire can do: have a very scary obstetrical incident, in which she doubles in half, cries out like she’s being drawn and quartered and bleeds copiously. And speaking of bleeding copiously, Jamie rams the tip of his sword into Randall’s crotch, doing serious damage and effectively ending the duel.

Then a lot of bad stuff happens all at once. The police arrive. Jamie hears Claire cry out in pain, but the gendarmes stop him from going to her. Claire collapses, barely able to tell Magnus to get her to l’hospital l’STAT. And just before she passes out, Caitriona Balfe clinches her Best Actress in a Going-Into-Shock Scene Emmy nod. Girlfriend looks like she is in trouble.

And that’s where we’ll leave it for this week. What did you think of the episode? Sound off in the comments!

1. Alichat says:

Raise your hand if you wish Jamie had just left the Prince to the Gen d’Armes and his exorbitant tab. :-(

• Christine M says:

Or as Murtagh has suggested several times, just run him through and be done with it! HA! I love Murtagh more and more each episode. But I’m so glad Jamie finally told him the truth.

• Marguarite says:

Yes I love him also their comic words to each other him & Jamie is funny. Now they say Jamie & Claire are going to be on a bad road for awhile. I know a happy couple make for a boring time but here to see this happen.

2. Alichat says:

I forgot to mention….we were given a hint as to the occupant of the room Fergus wandered into when we saw the British red coat hanging on a coat hook.

3. Carter says:

This one was better then the prior ones. I find myself losing interest this season. Maybe i should read the books instead.

• Janie says:

You should ABSOLUTLEY read the books. You won’t be sorry or lose interest

• eddie willers says:

The book this year’s episode is based on, was the weakest IMO. (except the opening chapter that blew me away but had to be changed for television.) Enjoy the settings, the costumes, the language all with the knowledge that they are setting you up for the THIRD book when the whole series goes off in a way you will not expect and kicks into high gear!

• Marguarite says:

I saw an interview with Sam & Cat when they were worried about this Season because it went a different way then the first & thought people wouldn’t care for this but Sam said they have to go by what the books say. I was s little disappointed at first but the storyline is so good & if your a real fan you just go with the flow lol.

• LoneRanger says:

Reading the books is a must.
      The TV series is for fine provers

• Annalyn says:

I am. Reading the books. They make
      sSense. Its almost like MrMoore wasn’t too excited with the books and gave all his best friends free rain to direct. Thank goodness the actors are so good they could make flossing their teeth look interesting.
      An murtagh has my vote. I just love Duncan l adoption of him. Adoption. Cheap phone. He needs to stay in rest of series. Please Mr Moore?

• annalyn r earley says:

Sorry I meant some of this season.
        I had just finished watching Penney dreadful and thought l am in for a long year. I was channel cruising and saw picture for Outlander in amazon. Thought what the heck. Ok. In 3 months have watched series 1 and 2 10 times, then started following on starz. And now reading all the books. Not a tad obsessed.
        For me its a woman having a voice, finding Jamie so kind and sensual and then mix in true researched history. Both the costume designer and the Gaelic teacher have been real in what Scotland was like in 1700.
        I am 64 and finding the books.series and actors who have risked showing the character souls has pulled me out of a dark spot and given me back me.
        I hoPE Starz lets Mr Moore do all the books. If they go slow enough they won’t have to worry about aging make up!
        Great writing on recap.

4. Laurel says:

On the edge of my seat tonight, and biting my nails to the knuckles! And I’ve read the books!! This is the best series I’ve ever watched!!! And watched!!! I didn’t think they could pull it off, but I love the series as I love the books. They both make me cry, and laugh, and gasp, and they are different enough to deliver twice the pleasure! I’m never sure what to expect. Tonight was no exception. Can’t wait to see what will happen next week! And I dread what will happen next week! Ron Moore has re-created an adventurous love story for the ages.

• Shellie says:

Laurel, I felt the same way. I’ve watched the episode 4X tonight and looking for more viewings! I’m halfway through the book series, (one quarter way through THE FIERY CROSS) but I don’t usually remember everything that happened in the first four books exactly, so I don’t usually compare the book to the TV series; but tonight I was deathly afraid they were going to leave out the Fergus scene in the brothel and the duel with BJR. It just seemed so essential to me, that I was aching with suspense to see if they had left it out. So glad they included it. As a side note, the scenes in the beginning seemed a bit strange with him rubbing her feet and and all just as if his extreme reaction to her calling in her debt last week didn’t happen. Boy, he got over that rather quickly! Even though he figured out for himself why in fact it would be a good idea to insure Frank’s survival, it still felt strange to see him rubbing her feet after the feelings of betrayal he experienced last episode. Still, I’m glad they got the chance to get back to each other a little before the end of this episode. I really loved this episode, and Murtah and Fergus, oh they are so so adorable and sweet!

5. Terri says:

God, that was a horrific ending! I’m so glad the writer included some tender moments between Claire and Jamie. Jamie’s rationale for making that promise to Claire is heart melting (and right out of the book). Monsieur Forez is creepier on the show than in the book but he did good passing on that warning to Claire about Master Raymond. So many great scenes…love Ferguson, Murtagh and even Magnus and Suzette. (Why do men have to punch each other to show that all is forgiven?) And poor Jamie having to be the guinea pig. But it was so good to see Jamie riding a horse again.

Question…this wasn’t clear to me in the book…the injury that Jamie inflicted on BJR, did he castrate him (I hope!)?

I love Kimberly’s recaps! And I like how she described that scene where Jamie talks to the baby. Overall, superb episode!

6. philomena says:

Kimberly Roots you are an awesome writer!

7. Rick23 says:

Tobias is so good as BJR – I hope he doesn’t go anywhere anytime soon!!! Just started book 1 so no spoilers please.

8. Gail says:

I also love this series and I have read all of the books. The books are so good you don’t want to put them down. Hate hate Black Jack and do not like Frank. Claire is stupid for making Jamie suffer after all he has been through. And this last episode was pretty true to the book and Jamie had every right to kill BJ. This incident did not make Claire bleed it is her own fault for overdoing it at the hospital and worrying about Frank. If she wants to choose Frank over Jamie which in a way she does then go back and leave Jamie alone. But then I guess there would not be a story then. Series is the best and the books are the best.

• Robin says:

Has the author finished the series?

• Michelle says:

No Robin. There are 8 books and many side books expanding on different characters and stories she didn’t have room to fully tell in the main books. Diana is currently writing book 9 (with hints from her that it will come out next spring with season 3’s premier) and she has said there will be one more after that finishing Jamie and Claire’s story.

• Donna Bernard says:

Gail,
      I totally agree with you.

• Guest says:

In the books it was stated specifically that it was both of their faults. Something along the lines of “you never should have come after me, you never should have went in the first place”.

• Marguarite says:

Yes he has.

• Marguarite says:

I agree with you 100% yes Clare made her choice the heck with Frank that time is over (plus no offence to Tobias he’s a great actor) but I hate Randall so much it makes me hate Frank lol. Can’t see picking Frank over Jamie anyway. Well what Jack Randall did to him how can she ask him to wait I would be mad also. Well that’s what makes this such a GREAT SHOW.

9. LoneRanger says:

Biggest cliff hanger of all time of course is what happened to Fergus. The story line will bring us to all of the books further, on the trail of this moeder scene.

10. abz says:

Can I just say how incredibly HOT the Comte St. Germain is? I love his French-speaking and especially how sexy he sounds when he’s pissed or angry. Is it just me?

Aside from that, I’m enjoying this season so far. Finally caught up on the episodes. I wanted to read the books between the seasons but things got busy and I’m still only halfway through the first book. It can be quite wordy and they’re really long, but I’m enjoying it so far. I definitely want to try and get through most of them before the third season (if there is one hopefully).

• Christine M says:

No, you’re not the only one who thinks St Germain is gorgeous. When he spit out that line about Jamie going back on his word – well, I played it back a few times…

I’ve been re-reading each book before the next season starts so I can refresh my memory. I’ve read them all at least 3 times, except for the last book. Instead of trying to cram them all in, why don’t you just read the one coming up. That way you can take your time and savor all the things that are to come, and these books do go in some remarkable directions.

11. chicagoshari44 says:

The episode 6 was one of the best of the season so far. Both Sam and Caitriona were fantastic and the story stuck pretty close to the book interns of content. There were tender scenes between husband and wife and finale scene with the long awaited duel was riveting. This is the only show I never miss.

12. chicagoshari44 says:

My favorite episode so far. Tender moments, humor, and the long awaited comeuppance of Black Jack Randall. Sam and Caitriona were fantastic in the final scene, but every character was outstanding. This is the only show on television that I never miss.

13. Marguarite says:

Hi looking forward to tonight but not looking forward hate sad scenes ( especially that rape scene)I know what’s probably going to happen but hate it. Oh well i’m a brave soul I can handle it.

14. Marguarite says:

Who’s John Lord? Is he in this series or the next?

15. Marguarite says:

Loved this weeks episode one of the best had me crying. Best acting as always especially Caitirona & even the little bit Sam was in he was terrific love them together but HATE HATE Jack Randall (like Tobias) but that character disgusts me. He should have castrated him but not in the storyline lol. Just love this show so much ❤❤

16. Jeannie Ewans says:

I loved the Faith episode Claire brought me to tears i think Jamie went to the top of gentleman.