The Amazing Race Recap

The Amazing Race Finale Recap: Did Your Favorite Team Win Season 28?

Three social media-friendly teams remained atop Friday’s season finale of The Amazing Race, but only one will get to vlog about winning the $1 million grand prize.

Tyler Oakley and Korey Kuhl were the favorites to win going into the CBS competition’s final hour — not only have they snagged the most first-place wins, but they also manage not to be jerks about it — with Dana Borriello and Matt Steffanina projected to come in second. (Real talk: Given all the bickering between them, they’ve been their own worst enemies all along.)

And then there were the undeniable underdogs, Sheri and Cole LaBrant. Having barely escaped elimination twice this season, the mother-son duo had the most to prove heading into the grand finale.

Following a death-defying “Leap of Faith,” a dramatic mountain repel and a whole lot of flirting between Tyler and “Brandon,” the first team finally crossed the finish line. And that team was… Dana and Matt! Sheri and Cole finished in second, with Tyler and Korey bringing up the rear.

Are you pleased with the results of Friday’s finale? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts.

1. peterwdawson says:

Tyler and Korey were absolutely jerks, they just pretended not to be behind their ‘he he, we’re adorable’ nonsense. Good racers of course, they went practically Sherlock on all the build challenges, but they were also insufferable. A pity Sheri and Cole couldn’t eke it out, but at least we got an interesting bookend with the team that won the first leg winning the last leg despite a seemingly cartoonish level of squabbles in between. Pity Burne & Ashley couldn’t make final three.

• Anonymous says:

Exactly how I feel.

• Anonymous says:

Note to TAR: STOP with the “Kardashian-ization” and “Housewives-ation” of America. Most anticlimactic season ever. All that was accomplished was more followers for these people. I doubt any of their followers will return for the next season. Note to Matt: Keep running….alone! Note to Tyler and Korey , karma ‘s a b**ch.

• jedmarlin says:

Burnie and Ashley beat themselves by switching tasks in the second to last leg. They didn’t have time to switch. I was glad to see them fall, though, because of the way they nailed Brodie and Kurt

• peterwdawson says:

Well they might have had time, but between the time lost switching, bad directions, general problems overcoming detours (they pretty much always lost ground on detours)… Yeah it was so no their day. Don’t mistake it though, Tyler and Korey nailed Brodie and Kurt, Burnie and Ashley just refused to call an ambulance.

• marisol fierros says:

They were not jerks

2. Lola says:

Nope. The team that I wanted to win the least pulled it out. Two arguing buffafons. The entire race those morons were fighting. It was beyond irritating.

• Actually, the arguing/yelling was all done by Dana. Matt hardly said anything in response which is the only reason they got along at all. Couldn’t imagine marrying her. Matt should just take his share of the $ and run!!!

• Al says:

In total agreement … found her SO obnoxious, I can’t believe he would still be interested in her. Although I also found both the other final teams annoying, they were at least nice people.

3. Lynette Bruno says:

Tyler and Korea DEFINITELY deserved to win! Very disappointed that Dana and Matt won! I wish that teams who argued and fought throughout the race, would be eliminated! Wouldn’t that make teams work hard to communicate better! Just a thought. ..

• Savanna says:

I wanted Tyler and Korey to win too! Tyler is a youtuber I watch and since I knew who he was I wanted his team to win. They were so nice too. They never bragged about being 1st etc. I wish they won😭😢😭

4. Margo Hartley says:

Disappointing writing for a finale…no opportunity for a close race..so boring in the end..writers need to step it up and make it a season FINALE!!

5. C. Cameron says:

I would have liked to have seen Sheri and Cole win, but I was just as happy with the finish by Dana and Matt. Anybody BUT Tyler and Korey. Could not stand that guttural laugh!

• Savanna says:

It’s just his laugh. He doesnt try to make it fake and guttural. That’s just him. It’s who he is…that’s my opinion. He’s gay and very genuine. Everyone has their own laugh and u can’t change that in a person.

6. AngelWasHere says:

I wasn’t rooting for anyone, but I’m glad Tyler and Korey didn’t win. I found them to be the most annoying. They sound like bratty teens girls especially at the end with “Brandon.”

7. helen says:

Congrats to Matt and Dana winning The Amazing Race Season 28 and $1,000,000. All the teams had fun and played hard, but it is difficult to predict a winner. Great Job to all!!!! I look forward to the next season.

8. Dena Locke says:

Well that sucks

9. Marylee Bigham says:

Sheri and Cole should have never been in the finale! They were saved twice and should have been gone!!

• James says:

Technically, the first one was a continuing leg so it didn’t really matter as they kept on racing. They were saved by a NEL only ONCE.

10. dan says:

There were a lot of difficult physical tasks for a finale, but very little suspense with the ending. With so many close finishes this season, the final run to meet Phil was anti-climactic. Dana was ready for the memory challenge and she zipped right through it. I’m ok with them winning (Matt deserves to win for putting up with Dana’s shrieking) and I’m glad Sheri and Cole pulled out a second place win. I assumed Tyler and Korey would win because they’ve been dominant all season and haven’t made many mistakes, but having to take three leaps off the building set them back too far. I wasn’t sure what to expect with the “social media stars” theme, but overall I thought it was a good season with great scenery and some exciting, physical tasks.

• Mike Q says:

I agree. The last couple finales have been remarkable anticlimactic because it was easy for a team to get a lead and, once they had it, the race was over.

• Steve says:

I disagree. I think they did everything possible on this race to set up a climatic ending. I say this remembering past seasons i.e. Season 1 where Joe and Bill were a whole day behind to the finish line.

On this leg they made sure everyone was on the same flight to the U.S. (par for the course for the majority of the finales). They had 3 stations set up for rappelling, 3 stations set up for the dual rope task. They went out of their way to try and make sure one team couldn’t easily get a lead. I wasn’t rooting for Matt and Dana, but they literally nailed every task on the final leg.

• dan says:

True! They tried to make it a close race, but once Matt made the first leap and grabbed the clue that was basically it. Nobody caught up and the race order remained the same to the finish line.

11. A fan of TV says:

I was all about Korey and Tyler until their part in the successful elimination of the Bros made them too cocky. Their sense of humility disappeared, and I appreciated that Dana and Matt had been humbled early by their own arguments and had the self-awareness to come back from it. Still, I felt bad for Tyler – you could see it on his face as the realization a win was out of reach kept becoming clearer. Maybe an all-star season with a bit more humility from him! Unless this one’s getting cancelled, too? (I’m being sarcastic, but I hope that wasn’t some sort of bad juju with the cull that’s officially on out there!)

I’d like to rule out a future all-star appearance by BLodie,for the record, but maybe not.

• Mike Q says:

Ratings would have to collapse for this show to be cancelled. It’s relatively cheap to make (no writers in the traditional sense, the only cast member who requires regular raises in Phil). It’s got to be a gold mine for them.

• Steve says:

Exactly. Your two major costs are 1) Phil and 2) Travel (and this one is likely often offset by countries promoting tourism). Compared to a traditional 1 hour sitcom or drama TAR is likely relatively dirt cheap.

• dan says:

I’ve heard that TAR isn’t as cheap to,produce as some other reality shows. Travel expenses can be high and they have lots of producers, camera operators, and production assistants all along the race route. Granted, it isn’t as expensive as a scripted series with writers and a cast of 5-10 actors, but it isn’t as cheap as it used to be.

• Gosh, but when you think of how much time and money has to go into scouting out locations, coming up with and setting up tasks (and all the associated travel costs too), experts to supervise activities like wind gliding and mountaineering, etc, surely this is a labor-intensive and costly show to produce. (And don’t all the teams win some amount of money, depending on which leg they go out on)?

12. Mike Q says:

Sheri and Cole seem like amazing people. I would have loved them to win it but I enjoyed everyone this season and don’t have a problem with the dancers. They can use the winnings to buy relationship counseling.

• peterwdawson says:

They just seemed like the most sweet and innocent people ever, like the best possible kind of Alabama stereotypes. Multiple times we saw people helping them (Sheri in particular) even when there was very little advantage to it.

• KLS says:

Cole was annoying. Whining all the time and loud! I half to give props to Sheri though. She tougher it out all race long and carried Cole until the end. They both overcame their fears.

13. Kathy says:

Just didn’t like Dana she was hateful and just plain mean. I don’t remember a winner with such a nasty temper

• Steve says:

Flo of Flo and Zach from season 3 was way worse.

• Side note: Flo (Florinka Pesenti) dated Drew (one of the twins) for several years and is now the partner of Dan Abrams (of Nightline and ABC News fame) and is vice president of public relations for luxury collections for Ralph Lauren! She must have really curbed her temper and whiny nature to have achieved such a prestigious position!

• Betty says:

I agree, Dana was just plain venomous! I honestly did not like the final 3 teams. And had Brody had a chance at the uturn, Dana and Matt may gave been out. I am sure Burne and Ashley are thinking that too after they were eliminated. Oh well

• peterwdawson says:

Sadly pragmatism won out. It was acknowledged more than once by Burnie and Ashley that two teams they could never keep up with in a foot race were Brody and Kurt as well as Tyler and Korey, and since they couldn’t properly U-Turn the latter it was really a decision of either ensuring the Frisbee boys were out for sure or trying to sneak past both strong teams later on while they were bickering. Obviously in hindsight it may have been better to not burn the U-Turn but, well, that’s hindsight.

14. Debora Cosell says:

What a great fun season to watch!

15. Dave says:

Worst AR ever.

No excitement in the finale – pretty much determined after the leap.

And all height based physical stuff. Where is the variety.

In the show a few weeks ago a double u turn and nothing hard enough after to be able to catch up.

Social media angle pretty much abandoned (save for a few references).

Have watched all seasons. Easily the worst since the family one.

Better luck next time.

16. carlynmadulara says:

Sheri and Cole didn’t give up during the Amazing Race and I couldn’t imagine that they were in the Final three. I am happy that Sheri didn’t give up because she’s proud of her son Cole who have the courage to do it. I also agreed with Cole that being afraid heights can be scary for me too.

17. Maya says:

Tyler has so much freaking money, I was glad he didn’t win. Would of liked the final 3 to be Brodie and Kurt, Sheri and Cole and Bernie and Ashleigh but alas, Tyler and Korey were there and so was Dana and Matt (didnt mind them). But like honestly I was hoping Cole and Sherri would win it all.

18. Betty says:

Nope…at first I hoped they would but she showed what a mean immature woman she is…arguing… They quickly became the team I hoped did not win.

19. Carey Campbell says:

So sad that Dana and Matt won the race. They were the least liked of all the teams. Just read the posts and the votes. Dana was and is a total Bitch. Like they say, once a Bitch, always a Bitch….bet they run through that money in no time and will have nothing positive to show for it…
    Tyler and Korey should have won it…they had one of the best attitudes throughout the race.

20. M says:

Tyler was a jerk and was so cocky and annoying I am happy he did not win. I would have been okay with Korey winning but unfortunately his partner was Tyler.

I was rooting for Sheri and Cole to win but knew that was a long shot. Glad they came in second. I thought it was fitting the reason Tyler and Korey did not win was because it took Tyler three turns to catch the clue in the first task.

21. Keith C. Brown says:

We liked Tyler and Korey a lot, but they shouldn’t have lied in the next-to-last leg of the race. Playing the game is one thing, but looking someone in the face and outright lying is another thing altogether. That may or may not have been karma, but third place in the finale speaks for itself.

22. Carter says:

I did not care for Matt and Dana, they were one my least favorite teams. I cannot stand girls that are so rude and mean and bossy to their partners. That being said they were basically flawless in the final leg, and that is the one that counts the most. So I do feel like they earned it whether I care for them or not.

23. Shelly says:

Dana was such a witch to Matt. She should be ashamed of herself!

24. Pcanbo says:

I didn’t want Kory to win, they were arrogant, I like sheri, but geez cole was such a mommys boy, I couldn’t stand it.
    Sheri did great. Was not a fan of matt and dana, but like them the best from the 3 teams. I was sad to see brodys team leave.

25. Monique VanDerMaden says:

They have been my favorite from the beginning. They were so positive and happy. They deserve to win.

26. Delta says:

Rooted for Sheri and Cole the entire season so I’m pretty pleased that they were in the finale. Wanted the frisbee bros. to win since they were the best team. And I agree with others, this was the most boring AR but eagerly looking forward to next season. Can’t wait!!!

• peterwdawson says:

See, were the bros really the best team? I’m just referring to the fact that they were eliminated, but more to the fact that Kurt carried Brodie a fair bit and they burned the Express Pass on a letter puzzle.

27. Sue says:

Worst finish ever … Wish I hadn’t watched. The bickering couple was so annoying and not deserving of winning – CBS needs to work on better casting. Dana is the worst kinda person who should be rewarded with their poor behavior

28. Chris says:

Not happy.

29. Karen Ullman says:

Why did matt and dana win when they didn’t do the last clue?

• KLS says:

Huh? Every team flew through the memory challenge. These aren’t so much challenges any more. Maybe they should mix it up next race and put them in the second to last leg?

30. Vicki Kennedy says:

Very disappointed….Dana spoke to Matt worse than a dog the entire race! I sincerely hope she takes her half of the million and gets professional help!

31. Monique Scott says:

Wow i watch all there dance videos on youtube #teammattdana

32. JR says:

I gave up on this season about 1/3 of the way through. The only other time that happened was that horrible “family” season. This one was just as bad. I had no idea who any of these people were, but they all acted like they were famous and everyone should be happy to see them. There was not a single person without an ego problem.

Stop trying to have seasons with “famous” people, with “All-star” repeat contestants, and other stunt seasons and just do so-call regular people.

33. Tan says:

Most boring finale I have ever seen on the Amazing Race. Didn’t seem like a real finale challenge at the end to win the million.

34. Will says:

What a bunch of whiners – get over it. Haha…happy Matt & Dana won! I would have been cool with a Tyler/Corey win, but I was very very very happy Sheri & Cole didn’t win. Another season of a team getting lucky with non-eliminations and winning the race? That would have been a very disappointing season.

35. Mary says:

I’ve watched every season of this show, but I hate-hate-hated this bunch of narcissistic posers so much that I quit watching halfway through. Looking forward to next season, and hopefully a few likeable teams.

36. Gail Johnson says:

Noooooooo!!!…not the bickering, bickersons!!!